Star Princess Condition?

Wabashmom

I am booked on the Star for next November to Hawaii. I was to have sailed on her Dec. 4, 2017, but they changed the refit from October to December. I am reading a lot of horror stories about everything from the mattresses to bathroom smells, dirty carpeting, general rundown condition, etc.. I just wondered what people think of her, what anyone knows about any kind of refurbishing perhaps before December 2017, and would welcome any other kind of information regarding her. I am booked in a handicapped room on Lido because my sister/roommate requires it. We just cruised on the Regal, and I am not expecting that experience..I know the Star is older and I have sailed on the Crown, Golden, Emerald, etc..that class of ship. I just would like some comments about the Star. Many thanks and happy holidays!

It has been a year since we cruised on Star in a mini-suite and we are scheduled to cruise on her again in March, 2017. A year ago, the Star was looking a little worn here and there, some exterior rust, and some of the amenities dated, BUT she was still very livable. Hopefully when she goes into dry dock, they will replace the mattresses, new spreads, replace carpet including the common areas, a fresh coat of paint, and spruce her up a bit. I think the old girl still has plenty of years left in her.

I haven't sailed on the Star since 2010 but will be sailing soon on the Star & nothing that I've read prevented me from booking a cruise on the Star & to eagerly look forward to our upcoming HI cruise.

I've read enough negative opinions about most ships that are more than a few years old & when sailing these older ships found the complaints to be unfounded. Are there a few areas where maintenance is necessary...probably. Is the ship the SS Rust Bucket...never!

If I were to base my cruise decisions on some of the negativity posted on CC then I would rarely ever take another cruise. My suggestion is to take anything you read with a grain of salt & that passengers are more likely to loudly complain than to praise things on CC.

Edited by Astro Flyer

hi .we were on the 10 day cruise from long beach (nov.16).carpets on the outside decks were being replaced.some stairwells too.ship was fine.only problem we had was in the buffet.it doesn't have a flow.people going back and forth to find things.live life.

hi .we were on the 10 day cruise from long beach (nov.16).carpets on the outside decks were being replaced.some stairwells too.ship was fine.only problem we had was in the buffet.it doesn't have a flow.people going back and forth to find things.live life.

Are you sure you were on the Star Princess?

It sailed from San Pedro Nov 10-20 /16

I was on it and it was in good shape, they were replacing carpet and general stuff. My shower curtain had a musty smell, mentioned to room steward and it was changed right away. Entertainment was fantastic as was the weather

We cruised to Hawaii on the Star in April and really enjoyed our time aboard. Good beds, good food, and did not notice any glaring signs of neglect.

The last time we sailed on the Grand, that was another matter.

Just came home from the Star on 12/20 (goodness, that was yesterday :rolleyes:)

15 days to Hawaii - 12/5 to 12/20.

No issues at all. Cabin was fine, didn't see much wear and tear on furniture throughout the ship.

The usual rust here and there, can't keep metal from rusting on the ocean.

There was a "shattered" window on Lido deck near one of the pools (safety glass, of course, with some kind of plastic overlay to keep foolish people from playing with it.

Saw carpets being cleaned constantly, windows, too.

I wouldn't worry. They keep all the ships up as best they can routinely.

We were in the Star, 15 days to Hawaii, just a little over a month ago. I didn’t notice any things that detracted from the cruise. This was my 17th Princess cruise and probably one of the best ever. The crew was absolutely great, friendly and competent in every way. We had the BEST cabin steward, waiter and assistant waiter ever. I would go back in a minute.

Just did the 15 night to Hawaii same as "JF-retired" and agree with his post above. ;)

Spotlessly clean room, (OV E224) and probably THE most comfortable bed on any cruise ever... every single venue I visited was in GREAT shape and VERY nicely decorated for Christmas...some REALLY great entertainment, and overall a wonderful staff. :cool:

I'd get right back on for another trip if I could... in heartbeat! :D

Edited by teecee60

Just did the 15 night to Hawaii same as "JF-retired" and agree with his post above. ;)

Spotlessly clean room, (OV E224) and probably THE most comfortable bed on any cruise ever... every single venue I visited was in GREAT shape and VERY nicely decorated for Christmas...some REALLY great entertainment, and overall a wonderful staff. :cool:

I'd get right back on for another trip if I could... in heartbeat! :D

Soon we'll be in the Star's E230 cabin...any noise issues noted in your cabin?

Did you see the newest Stephen Schwartz production show "Born to Dance"?

Edited by Astro Flyer

You have to take all the "negative" comments with a grain of salt. Some people just like to complain. The beds in general get bad reviews, but they are being replaced fleet wide.

We haven't been on the Star in 3 years, but she looked great when we were on her!

I think Princess does a good job keeping up, but there are always some people who are unhappy about certain things that are deficient.

I'm sure your cruise will be in fine in November 2017.

If you encounter any issues, just bring them up and they will be addressed immediately. At least, that has been our experience.

Happy cruising!

After more than 25 cruises on Princess I can honestly say that I have had only TWO issues that involved an "aging room"...one was a few years ago on the Grand, where they asked me at the last minute if I had any interest in moving to a handicapped cabin--I suppose because no one with special needs had booked it. I took it because it was larger...but due to the flat surface between the bathroom and the room itself (for wheelchair access) water would leak regularly onto the rooms carpet, and it created some rust in the door jam. It was an annoyance, but it didn't ruin our cruise. The other, on the Dawn (about to be retired) was a "wonky" drawer, which just didn't roll out properly...so we just decided to not use that one. Also not a problem.

For the most part I'm impressed with how Princess keeps the rolling maintenance, like varnishing the promenade handrails constantly even while at sea.

From horror stories I've heard about other lines, like Carnival (and while it's under the same umbrella, they are run VERY differently) I think Princess is good at keeping it's older ships feeling pretty refreshed.

I think the more monochromatic color schemes of the new ships carpets and upholstery should be added to the older ships. That would do a lot to brighten the rooms up. IMHO.

We were just on the Star for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. Returned on Dec 20. I thought the ship was in fine condition. My only complaint was the mattress. We were in C 703. The mattress was horrid. I had a hard time sleeping. Other than that, the cruise was great.

We were just on the Star for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. Returned on Dec 20. I thought the ship was in fine condition. My only complaint was the mattress. We were in C 703. The mattress was horrid. I had a hard time sleeping. Other than that, the cruise was great.

Interesting.

I thought mattresses were one of those things that the steward would just be able to tell maintenance to swap-out with a different one.

Did you complain about the mattress to your room steward?

Just came home from the Star on 12/20 (goodness, that was yesterday :rolleyes:)

15 days to Hawaii - 12/5 to 12/20.

No issues at all. Cabin was fine, didn't see much wear and tear on furniture throughout the ship.

The usual rust here and there, can't keep metal from rusting on the ocean.

There was a "shattered" window on Lido deck near one of the pools (safety glass, of course, with some kind of plastic overlay to keep foolish people from playing with it.

Saw carpets being cleaned constantly, windows, too.

I wouldn't worry. They keep all the ships up as best they can routinely.

Hi JF, glad to hear the good news about the Star. Only 330 day till14 Nov 2017. Looking forward to our cruise away at the Outfitter. Stay safe till then