As of today......RCI drink price increase!!!!!!!

TC38

Ouch.

Perhaps one theory is that this is a means to promote the idea of a prepaid beverage package.

Not saying that's a good idea...only a theory as to why it seems to be happening. Ironically, we just got all sorts of "special deals" on those beverage packages for an upcoming cruise.

If I had a drink package, I would cancel it and boycott buying any alcohol on board. This is easier said than done for most people I know, but if enough people do it, the prices would go down.

The frustrating thing is to see people up in arms about the prices, but the same people buy packages and pay for the drinks, letting RC know that they haven't yet reached an unprofitable price point. Business is business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So how much does a non name brand cocktail cost.

Say I wanted vodka and cranberry, Pina Coloda, margarita, mudslide, mojito, house wine. I'm not someone that drinks much at all, but do enjoy the packages on cruises. I was on the Allure in May, and the package was worth it to me at that time. But, if I'm going to order the above drinks and be charged a dollar or 2 extra per drink above the package price, I can very easily go without alcohol for a week.

Thanks for any info.

I do know all cruise lines seem to be hiking drink package prices and the prices per drink, just want to know what to expect come my April - Anthem cruise

Currently on the 11 night navigator holiday sailing and drink prices are the same as before at the pub and on the ship.

So much for the 1/1/2017 effective date guess. Maybe they are starting with Ft Lauderdale sailings? Or only Oasis class and newer?

Just on Allure for the 10 day holiday cruise to be welcomed by the comforting embrace of a 2 dollar charge for a Gin Fizz from the Pub bar........!!!!!!!! Apparently, a Deluxe Package doesn't stack any more for a Gin and sugary condiments. Seriously.....apparently RCI have decided on new menu's and new prices as of today.......JUST outside of the deluxe payment band....oh and don't get me started on the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc that is now $17 a pop. Happy Christmas one and all.....

WE have seen the same in 2014 when we 1st had drink package everything we had was covered, in last 2 year several of the wines and some scotch that was covered is now a additional price, almost every wine we get is 2 or 3 dollars above the limit. What gin was in gin fizz? seems newer ships charge a little more also, all our gin drinks were covered a couple of months ago on Brilliance

Its really unfortunate if they are pushing people to the drink packages. We sailed on NCL Breakaway a few months ago and got the "free drink package" (usually $79 pp per day) when booking, which is what Norwegian was offering with many new bookings. The drinks onboard were horrible. When ordering a martini, instead of making it, they had all of their drinks pre made in jugs. Including martini's, etc. they were EXTREMELY watered down and i would have been very angry if I would have paid the $13-$17 price tag without the package. We kept trying to change the alcohol in the drinks so the bartenders would actually have to make the drinks and they would be decent. Very sad if these ships are going to sacrifice the quality of the drinks since people drink more with the packages. We would not buy a drink package again on Norwegian, nor would we drink much in general. We aren't beer people unfortunately.

Edited by jetta8300

I'm sure "people drink more with the packages" but I wonder how many of them have actually figured out how many drinks they have to drink before they actually break even.

As to holiday cruises "costing more" I assume that's due to all those holiday decorations RCCL pays an outside company to put into place.

But wait! Aren't the PRICES for holiday cruises ALSO more?

Its really unfortunate if they are pushing people to the drink packages. We sailed on NCL Breakaway a few months ago and got the "free drink package" (usually $79 pp per day) when booking, which is what Norwegian was offering with many new bookings. The drinks onboard were horrible. When ordering a martini, instead of making it, they had all of their drinks pre made in jugs. Including martini's, etc. they were EXTREMELY watered down and i would have been very angry if I would have paid the $13-$17 price tag without the package. We kept trying to change the alcohol in the drinks so the bartenders would actually have to make the drinks and they would be decent. Very sad if these ships are going to sacrifice the quality of the drinks since people drink more with the packages. We would not buy a drink package again on Norwegian, nor would we drink much in general. We aren't beer people unfortunately.

I'm sure "people drink more with the packages" but I wonder how many of them have actually figured out how many drinks they have to drink before they actually break even.

As to holiday cruises "costing more" I assume that's due to all those holiday decorations RCCL pays an outside company to put into place.

But wait! Aren't the PRICES for holiday cruises ALSO more?

We would never have bought a $79 drink per person per day package. It was "free" (aka probably cost included in the cruise). I see a lot of people who do the math and think its worth it, and a lot of people like us who dont think we would even break even. But if cruise lines start watering down the drinks due to offering "free" drink packages or pushing people to do these packages, i definitely see the quality of the drinks deteriorating. Which is disappointing for those of us who are willing to pay for decent drinks. On NCL, literally each bar had just jugs sitting behind the counters and every drink came out of a jug like a cheap mexico all inclusive. A $14 martini out of pocket was syrup. And warm.

We would never have bought a $79 drink per person per day package. It was "free" (aka probably cost included in the cruise). I see a lot of people who do the math and think its worth it, and a lot of people like us who dont think we would even break even. But if cruise lines start watering down the drinks due to offering "free" drink packages or pushing people to do these packages, i definitely see the quality of the drinks deteriorating. Which is disappointing for those of us who are willing to pay for decent drinks. On NCL, literally each bar had just jugs sitting behind the counters and every drink came out of a jug like a cheap mexico all inclusive. A $14 martini out of pocket was syrup. And warm.

RCI also does pre made "Jug drinks" at certain bars.

RCI also does pre made "Jug drinks" at certain bars.

Yes I know :). I understand when a $9 pre mixed Bahama mama comes out of a jug. But not a $17 ciroc vodka martini that ends up being all syrup. 90% or more of the people on that ship had the drink package probably and so all of the drinks were terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those free drink packages on NCL are actually $99pp on a 7 day cruise and do not cover bottled water or specialty coffees.

Bill

YASSSSS.

Never before have I felt this justified to allow people to "smuggle" on alcohol. The whole idea of a huge multi-million dollar cruise line banning alcohol so that they can charge their own theft-status prices per drink is immoral.

God bless to all those standing up to the injustice. Just because something is a rule doesn't make it right.

And btw, the prices didn't go up because of drink smugglers. They went up because that's what corporations do. :rolleyes:

I don't think this is pushing people to beverage packages at all. Quite the opposite, really. If KC is indeed $17 or higher than $12 even I'll cancel my drink package. I'm on Indy though so who knows if that is affected. I leave in about 2 weeks so I'll check and post here. Why in the world would I pay for a drink package if I have to pay above and beyond that for the drinks that were included when I purchased it? I'll just have one a day instead and get the free coffee and other beverages. I'll also bring two KCs on board. If anything this will push way more people to smuggle. Very dumb move if it is indeed fleet wide price adjustments. Something like that would push me back to my fabulous land vacations at all inclusives.

If someone who is on a ship that has raised the prices could find out if I wanted a drink with gentleman jack or makers mark how much it would cost. We were on the fence about the drink pkg and if we have to pay extra for those drinks we won't get it. Not going to pay all that money and not have it include what DH likes to drink. Thanks

We have the ubp on our February Oasis cruise. I would pay the difference but if it is truly fleet wide, this will be our first and last RCI cruise.

So many complaints about so many things that are basic hospitality features. I am actually dreading our cruise instead of getting excited for it

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

All the more reason people shouldn't be feeling concerned or guilty about bringing their own liquor on board.

I agree. There should be no guilt for smuggling based on hurting a cruise and benefiting yourself line financially.

Where it's a problem is that it's against a policy that's available to see before you book and in violation of the cruise contract you agree to when you pay for the cruise.

Despite the $12pp cost of a movie ticket, the theaters I go to have policies about us bringing in our own $1.69 bag of popcorn and cans of soda from home.

And I'm sure that if DW and I went to Capital Grille and ordered the expensive $52 Porterhouse for 2 and split a $9 salad, a manager may come over to the table if we brought our own 6 pack of beer ($9 our cost / $36 their price), set out our own homemade pre-cooked appetizers ($6 our cost / $18 their price), foil wrapped home baked potatoes and veggies ($6 our cost / $24 their price) and opened a thermos of piping hot home-brewed coffee ($1 our cost / $8 their price) to enjoy with our $2.49 cheesecake slices from our supermarket's bakery department ($14 their price).

They'd still be making a very nice profit on the $52 Porterhouse and $9 salad. Yet we'd be saving $60 - $65 on the things we brought on our own. What do you think Capital Grille's position on this might be if say we and a small minority, like 20% of their customers, did the 'bring your own" thing?

I'm thinking Capital Grille's P&L management department may look at this practice the same way that ant cruise line's food and beverage management that's responsible for profit & loss would look at it.

Is it just us or are there others the can't see the value in the new drink package prices. We both drink but just can't see us consuming over $1600 worth, that's more than the total OBC amount I ever had in total. Considering also that we have 4 shore days, so that's several hours off ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums