As of today......RCI drink price increase!!!!!!!

TC38

If I bought a package and then had a surcharge on many drinks (meaning not a super premium liquor) I'd be pretty aggravated. The point of the package is to know a fixed cost going in. $2 here, $4 there, etc., on top of the package is a suckers play.

If I bought a package and then had a surcharge on many drinks (meaning not a super premium liquor) I'd be pretty aggravated. The point of the package is to know a fixed cost going in. $2 here, $4 there, etc., on top of the package is a suckers play.

Totally agree. ;)

This, exactly! I will say also, that, as my wife is a red wine drinker who is a bit picky, we have found that purchasing a wine package (usually 7 bottle, top level package) is a relative bargain. If you are consistently selecting one of the best bottles on the package, you are definitely saving a fair amount over the by the bottle price. Also, doing that allows us to prepay for the wine which is a help in budgeting.

Just off the Anthem November 20th. No more wine packages. We sail with 4 couples and always purchase at least one package a couple to drink at dinner throughout the cruise. Not this time.:(

We have the drink package for our April cruise for 44 a day per plus tip, I know we will pay a few extra dollars to get the wine we want but still think its worth it at least for us, on last cruise a couple of months ago almost everything was covered but our wine, and I rather pay 3 dollar extra that 15 dollars

The fact is, the drink packages are either worth it or not depending on what you drink (type of drink, brand of drink, etc), and what your plans are for the cruise.

I've done the math and it doesn't make sense for me or my wife.

If you drink mainly beer, well cocktails and the frozen foo foo umbrella drinks, and if house wine is fine by you, AND you plan to have at least 8 to 12 drinks a day, AND you you won't be onshore all day on port days (drinking on your own dime), AND you aren't Diamond C&A or suite guests with access to the free drinks in those lounges each evening, then the drink package probably makes sense for you.

Okay, rant concluded. Thanks!

We actually purchased the drink package for my husband on our recent Harmony cruise. For this trip it was very well worth it for us. We only got off the ship in St. Thomas for about an hour or so, but the rest of the time we were on board the ship. When you factor in the smoothies and juices in the morning, 2-4 frozen drinks during the afternoon by the pool or in the solarium, a drink or two at dinner, a coffee with your dessert, a drink during a show or performance or a couple drinks while dancing..it worked out in our favor. Not to mention that we pre-purchased it before sailing and saved 30% at the time, and used our American Express and got a nice statement credit. It was very well worth it to us.

Now, that being said, on our upcoming Oasis cruise we will probably pass on the drink package and just add OBC to our shipboard account before sailing. We plan on being off the ship more in the ports for that cruise.

Again, there are a lot of things to factor in when considering the drink package. However, like many on this thread..if I have to pay a couple dollars more for each drink I order then it certainly is misleading and not worth it.

The fact is, the drink packages are either worth it or not depending on what you drink (type of drink, brand of drink, etc), and what your plans are for the cruise.

I've done the math and it doesn't make sense for me or my wife.

If you drink mainly beer, well cocktails and the frozen foo foo umbrella drinks, and if house wine is fine by you, AND you plan to have at least 8 to 12 drinks a day, AND you you won't be onshore all day on port days (drinking on your own dime), AND you aren't Diamond C&A or suite guests with access to the free drinks in those lounges each evening, then the drink package probably makes sense for you.

If one or more of the factors above doesn't describe you, then be very careful before purchasing a so called "all inclusive" drink package.

As to the drink prices themselves, I have two points I want to make.

1) I don't really think that this is "corporate gouging" as some seem to think, nor

2) do I think that the primary reason that passengers are not allowed to bring their own liquor onboard is to force them to pay the inflated drink prices.

I understand that it is frustrating and irritating to pay what are clearly higher than typical land based restaurant or bar prices. But I am much more irritated when I feel that drink prices are too high in a restaurant on land. Why, you ask? Because a land based restaurant isn't feeding me virtually unlimited food, nor are they providing an entertainment staff, a water park, Broadway style shows, live music and dancing of various types, cooking demonstrations, dance lessons, movies, (I could go on) etc, etc.

The reason that I feel confident in saying that this is not corporate "gouging" is twofold. Like most all corporations, they have to maintain a reasonable profit margin (usually 8-12% of revenue). If they don't, their investors will all bail and the next new RCCL vessel will not have a robot bartender or a really cool waterslide. It will have oars. They charge what they have to charge in order to turn that reasonable level of profit.

The second reason that I know that it is not corporate gouging is that RCCL does not have a monopoly on cruising. They are in an extremely competitive business environment and they have to be at least reasonably price competitive with Carnival, NCL, etc. I do agree that some of the ways that they seem to hide the true costs of the cruise are irritating, but as always, let the buyer beware. Read the fine print, ask questions and make sure that your decisions about who to cruise with and how to budget for your onboard consumption and activities are well informed decisions.

As to the idea that RCCL (or any other cruise line I'm aware of) prohibits passengers from bringing their own liquor aboard so that they can gouge them with inflated bar prices is ridiculous. if profit was the reason, they wouldn't let you bring soft drinks or bottled water aboard, but they clearly do. The reason they prohibit passengers from bringing their own booze is primarily to limit their liability when drunk idiots "fall off the ship." And the reason I put "fall off" in quotes is that the only way to get overboard is to climb over or jump. It is virtually impossible to fall off a cruise ship (what with the chest high railings, glass barriers and whatnot), unless maybe you're on deck during a hurricane.

Okay, rant concluded. Thanks!

New drink package also gives 40% discount of bottles of wine under $100. We have one heavy drinker in the family and have bought the package for her. She can use her package to buy all the drinks she wants and the family can take advantage of the wine bottle pricing. Before y'all get uppity about sharing drink package, we talked to Royal about how the wine discounts worked and it doesn't just have to be the package holder to drink the full bottle.

First, people complaining about $12 drinks need to get out a bit. In most tourist places, prices are higher. We go to Vegas a few times a year and a martini at a resort is $18 to $20. Same in New York and larger cities.

I do agree with posters above - before I get on the ship I understand the policy and can decide to cruise or not and to buy drinks or not. We do bring the 2 allowed bottles of wine onto the ship, but don't sneak anything else. Also - RC's margins on revenue are not that great. Only about 8% and that includes revenue from cabins, drinks, excursions, shops......

Agree 100%. In NYC its common to get a house vodka and tonic that is $10 or more PLUS tip. Paying $15 is pretty common for a craft cocktail. For quite a while Royal's drink prices were amazing. Now they've caught up with the times which sucks, but it is what it is.

Agree 100%. In NYC its common to get a house vodka and tonic that is $10 or more PLUS tip. Paying $15 is pretty common for a craft cocktail. For quite a while Royal's drink prices were amazing. Now they've caught up with the times which sucks, but it is what it is.

Great information to know if I want to vacation in NYC but as long as I'm cruising I don't really care what they are charging in the city. I buy things when I feel I am getting a good value for my money unless it is a necessity. Fortunately, alcohol has never been on my necessity list. So it may end up sucking more for the cruise line than it does for me.

Great information to know if I want to vacation in NYC but as long as I'm cruising I don't really care what they are charging in the city. I buy things when I feel I am getting a good value for my money unless it is a necessity. Fortunately, alcohol has never been on my necessity list. So it may end up sucking more for the cruise line than it does for me.

Just trying to put it in perspective. Royal's new pricing isn't out of line for standard drink pricing in large cities. Not sure what makes you think that a cruise line shouldn't charge a competitive amount, but hey you do you.

Edit...because my post seems unclear. If you buy the package the new drink prices should be inclusive in the package and you shouldn't be nickled and dimed. The prices of drinks are not out of the ordinary paying completely out of pocket.

Edited by rbschultz

Drink packages should cover what you expect will be included on the ship based on which package you buy. So if you buy the most expensive package, it should really cover just about everything with the exception of very pricey specialty liquors and wines. I would expect if from NCL since they're are constantly giving away drink packages (so you only pay the gratuity), and they have some very pricey drinks now, but Royal is not giving away anything, at least not like NCL is. You're paying tippy top dollar plus gratuities for a premium drink package and still have to shell out more money? Screw that.

Just trying to put it in perspective. Royal's new pricing isn't out of line for standard drink pricing in large cities. Not sure what makes you think that a cruise line shouldn't charge a competitive amount, but hey you do you.

Edit...because my post seems unclear. If you buy the package the new drink prices should be inclusive in the package and you shouldn't be nickled and dimed. The prices of drinks are not out of the ordinary paying completely out of pocket.

And that is really what the five pages of this thread have been about. RCI can charge whatever they want for a drink and for a package and I can decide what I want to do. But don't introduce packages and then undermine the premise behind the package by raising drink prices enough to cause a surcharge (plus 18%) on most drinks that one would be expect to be completely covered.

Edited by Ocean Boy

This whole subject is making Carnival's 15 drink @ $50 limit package look pretty good. Prepurchase @ $49.95/day plus a 15% gratuity, all pax in room have to purchase. Kind of makes it a wash with RCCL's prepurchase @ $46/day + 18% gratuity. No way I could do 15 in 24 hrs but no worries about a surcharge.

I would like to see a list of the alcohol that is now above the $12 mark so I could make a informed decision if I wanted to buy the package or not. example If I wanted a old fashioned with something other then the house alcohol would it be covered. I don't really want to wait until I'm on the ship to find out because they offer the 20% off if you buy ahead of time (at least they have been offering it on our upcoming cruise) and the answer as to what's covered will have a factor in if we purchase a package or not.

And that is really what the five pages of this thread have been about. RCI can charge whatever they want for a drink and for a package and I can decide what I want to do. But don't introduce packages and then undermine the premise behind the package by raising drink prices enough to cause a surcharge (plus 18%) on most drinks that one would be expect to be completely covered.

I was responding to the fact that people are shocked at another price increase as opposed to the nickel and diming. Thats why I went back and edited my response. Appologies if it got confusing or if it came off as dick-ish

If I pre-purchase a drink package and the drinks cost $12-$13 they should honor those prices. If I get onboard and everything is up charged, I will just request a refund for my package. That is like them raising the price of the cruise after you book it.

This whole subject is making Carnival's 15 drink @ $50 limit package look pretty good. Prepurchase @ $49.95/day plus a 15% gratuity, all pax in room have to purchase. Kind of makes it a wash with RCCL's prepurchase @ $46/day + 18% gratuity. No way I could do 15 in 24 hrs but no worries about a surcharge.

The issue with the 15 in 24 hours was that you can't get drinks back to back either. More than once they made me wait to order a second drink. Plus they wouldn't pour doubles. Overall it was not a big deal but felt restricted compared to my experience with Royal. But I find the pricing to be basically in line between Carnival and Royal now - except Royal doesn't jerk you around with limits. If it comes out plus/minus a few bucks, it's not a concern. It's definitely cheaper than last time I went with Royal, so those savings can go towards the $1 - $2 here and there for high end drinks.

Edited by BNBR

Maybe someone can post a few drink menus? I'd be curious about the Rising Tide Bar prices.

I just looked up a few of the menus and it seems most drinks are under $12. So that seems fine to me... I'll stick with those or pay a small surcharge.

I got off Independence yesterday. Please note that I am not a very good photographer and for that reason I debated sharing these but since there has been so much discussion. I uploaded to a flickr album (41 photos). If there is a better way let me know

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRk4dLu

This is the entire new menu book found in most bars and the Vintages wine list

Here is one of the pics

31771773582_8bb4f9c0f8_z.jpgIMG_6070 by vavasmom, on Flickr

I got off Independence yesterday. Please note that I am not a very good photographer and for that reason I debated sharing these but since there has been so much discussion. I uploaded to a flickr album (41 photos). If there is a better way let me know

Here is one of the pics

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you were on the ship over Christmas. Most of those drinks would be covered by the package (minus the Royal Signature drinks). Seems appropriate.

Though your menus and the menu posted earlier in the thread show higher prices. Would be interesting to see other ships and their prices. Keep em coming!

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you were on the ship over Christmas. Most of those drinks would be covered by the package (minus the Royal Signature drinks). Seems appropriate.

Though your menus and the menu posted earlier in the thread show higher prices. Would be interesting to see other ships and their prices. Keep em coming!

I had not posted earlier prices or menus.

I was on the 17th until 26th. The old wine lists and menus until the 23rd

New one after that

We only paid upcharges on expensive wine at Vintages. We were surprised when Kim Crawford was no longer on the package but we found other wines

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

https://flic.kr/s/aHskRk4dLu

Here is one of the pics

31771773582_8bb4f9c0f8_z.jpgIMG_6070 by vavasmom, on Flickr

Thanks for posting those pictures. The prices don't really seem objectionable. They just added a few specialty cocktails that are outside the normal plan limits. Sometimes if you ask for the same cocktail but with a different spirit they'll give it to you for a lower price within the package.

The only issue I have with the new menu is that the writer doesn't seem to know the difference between scotch, bourbon and whiskey. I'm sure the bartenders will get sick of hearing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk