LIVE - World Cruise 2017

Emtbsam

Yesterday, Melbourne was hot = 97F.

Today we are at sea and tomorrow we will be in Adelaide which I hope will be cooler than the 106F it was yesterday!

For the New Yorkers and Bostonians under a blizzard warning tonight, your post warms the soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Silver, Ida and I will try to link up with Krisha and you in Keelung Taiwan, the Whisper and Regent's Voyager will be docked there on March 4th. Will send our arrival/departure time via FB msg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Silver, Ida and I will try to link up with Krisha and you in Keelung Taiwan, the Whisper and Regent's Voyager will be docked there on March 4th. Will send our arrival/departure time via FB msg.

Excellent Wes, will look forward to it[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mr. Silver, Ida and I will try to link up with Krisha and you in Keelung Taiwan, the Whisper and Regent's Voyager will be docked there on March 4th.
Excellent Wes, will look forward to it[emoji41]
So cool! Friends from across the globe meeting far away from their homes at another global locale. Have fun catching up fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a wonderful time in Adelaide despite the heat. The Wellseasoneds had organized a tour of Penfolds Magill estate winery which was superb. The whole tour was first rate, and they have suggested that Silversea consider it in the future. We had the opportunity to taste a number of fine wines including the signature 2012 Grange which was quite special. After the formal wine tasting, we were treated to even more wines. We ended up buying a bottle of their Chardonnay and their Grandfather Tawny (port). We highly recommend the tour either on your own or through SS if they end up offering it. This was truly a high point of the trip.

Today we are rocking and rolling in the Great Australian Bight which was expected. The ship is handling the seas quite well and there are no ropes up or wet tablecoths yet. In lieu of walking the deck today, I will probably just go up to the Observation Bar and try to stand without holding on.

The Bight is still rough today, but not as bad. Another sea day tomorrow,then Fremantle/Perth. Loved Melbourne and Adelaide! We did an extensive walking and tasting tour of Melbourne, and the laneways, street art, trams, and overall vibe were wonderful. And as Emtbsam described, at Adelaide the Penfo9ld Magill Estate "Ultimate Penfolds Experience" is a wine event never to be forgotten.

Aboard the Whisper, people are happy and the food very good indeed. Le Champagne has just changed its menu. It is now five courses rather than six, and it looks very good. We will dine there again and report. Reservations have been no problem. La Terrazza does its Sunday dinner in more of a family style, with a set menu and with the waiters dressed very casually. I don't know if this will be permanent or if it is just for this world cruise, but it is popular.

Just now they are changing some cables etc. on the new suite televisions and hope that the new interactive features, movies, etc. will be up and running by the time we reach Perth.

Melbourne street art

Melbourne%20street%20art.jpg

Melbourne didgeridoo

Melbourne%20musician.jpg

Melbourne sail away

Melbourne%20sail%20away.jpg

Penfolds Magill Estate tasting

Penfold%20Magill%20estate%20tasting%20Adelaide.jpg

Some of the Penfolds wines tasted

Penfolds%20wines%20tasted.jpg

Adelaide mall "sculptures"

Adelaide%20mall%20pigs.jpg

Pleased you enjoyed Adelaide and the heat didn't spoil things for you - February is our hottest month! We love our pigs in the Mall. They have names, Oliver, Horacio, Truffles and Augusta.

Hope you get to see whales in the Bight.

Some of the "walkers" saw whales this morning.

We are close enough to land that we can see mountains off the starboard side, but the weather is quite overcast and around 70F.

Looking forward to seeing Perth tomorrow after 49 years. It was a very sleepy town in 1968, and the ten story Hilton was the highest building in town.

Now off to a cooking class.

Have just been informed by SS that we will be missing the first of the two stops in Taiwan, and a delay to the arrival of the second from 8am to 1pm. Has there been an announcement onboard and/or has anyone any idea why?

As I understand it, the Whisper is not allowed to go directly from Taiwan to China. So the first Taiwan stop was scratched and the second is now a day earlier. This allows a quick stop at a Japanese port before the Shanghai visit. I think the details are still fuzzy. This doesn't affect us since we are leaving the ship in Bali next week. Sorry to miss you, Mr. Spectre!

Thanks Dieter, we will now miss Mr. and Mrs. Silver by one day in Taiwan.

Dieter, if u have time can u find out from the cruise consultant if the Cloud post expedition refurb will also redo the fitness facility. Believe I read previously that was the part of the refurb for the Cloud becoming an expedition ship. However, the deckplan now shows the fitness facility in the same location (top deck forward) with the zodiacs just behind.

Have just been informed by SS that we will be missing the first of the two stops in Taiwan, and a delay to the arrival of the second from 8am to 1pm. Has there been an announcement onboard and/or has anyone any idea why?

As I understand it, the Whisper is not allowed to go directly from Taiwan to China. So the first Taiwan stop was scratched and the second is now a day earlier. This allows a quick stop at a Japanese port before the Shanghai visit. I think the details are still fuzzy. This doesn't affect us since we are leaving the ship in Bali next week. Sorry to miss you, Mr. Spectre!

Thanks for the info Dieter, and that's a real shame Wes. Best laid plans of mice and men etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dieter, if u have time can u find out from the cruise consultant if the Cloud post expedition refurb will also redo the fitness facility. Believe I read previously that was the part of the refurb for the Cloud becoming an expedition ship. However, the deckplan now shows the fitness facility in the same location (top deck forward) with the zodiacs just behind.
Wes, check out the brand new 2018 Silver Cloud digital brochure at https://issuu.com/silversea/docs/silver_cloud_brochure_usa_digital_0?e=5598535/40035429. It shows the Fitness Center will be housed in its brand spanking new location on deck 6 next to the theater.

Valentine's Day at sea was pleasant. The dinner dance in the MDR was great fun, with enthusiastic participation by many passengers and some of the dining staff. That was also the only fully booked night at Le Champagne. We ate there the next evening with the Emtbsams and were the only ones dining. The new menu was very good. The lobster thermidor has been replaced by roast lobster. There is a steak Rossini entree which was excellent. The rack of lamb remains. The second courses have been consolidated so there are now five rather than six courses. The souffle has been replaced by a chocolate souffle. We all thought that the choices were excellent. (The Dom and the Penfolds 389 "Baby Grange" went well with everything!)

Fremantle/Perth was a lovely stop after three days crossing the Bight. Fremantle is a lovely, relaxed town, easily walked from the ship. Its new Maritime Museum and Shipwreck Museum are very interesting. Perth is a big city with much new construction underway. Its botanical gardens were lovely.

Geraldton is a pleasant smaller town from which we took a tour to the Oakabella Homestead, including a nice teahouse with delicious scones and sandwiches. Then the tour stopped at the Burnt Barrel BrewBQ for a lovely beer and barbeque tasting. The countryside in this area is very much like central to northern Arizona. Unfortunately, this was the first stop at which we were assaulted by zillions of small flies, which we remembered from the Uluru area many years ago. The flies were still on the ship next day at sea, causing a degree of havoc on the pool deck.

Exmouth is a small town on the Northwest Cape (about 2500 residents) and not really up to handling this kind of tourism. Still, it was a lovely day, though very hot and many flies. We were at anchor here, first time since Maui. We did do a nice bus tour of the area. Many passengers were disappointed because the snorkeling tour in this area with terrific snorkeling was cancelled do to tour boat problems. We sailed away at six P.M., but the ship had to turn around and return to Exmouth about 90 minutes later due to a medical emergency. We will still reach Bali on time since we have two sea days. Today is the first of these days, and it is sunny, lovely, with calm seas.

We will disembark in Bali so I will probably not post much more on this thread. Maybe some comments when it's over. Best wishes to all.

Fremantle Maritime Museum at sunset

Fremantle%20Maritime%20Museum%20at%20sunset.jpg

Caviar appetizer at Le Champagne

Caviar%20appetizer%20at%20Le%20Champagne.jpg

Perth

Perth%20AUS.jpg

Perth Botanical Garden entrance

Perth%20Botanical%20Garden%20entrance.jpg

Geraldton Burnt Barrel BeerBQ

Geraldton%20Burnt%20Barrel%20BeerBQ.jpg

Sunset 2-18-17 in Indian Ocean

Sunset%202-18-17%20in%20Indian%20Ocean.jpg

Valentine's Day at sea was pleasant. The dinner dance in the MDR was great fun, with enthusiastic participation by many passengers and some of the dining staff. That was also the only fully booked night at Le Champagne. We ate there the next evening with the Emtbsams and were the only ones dining. The new menu was very good. The lobster thermidor has been replaced by roast lobster. There is a steak Rossini entree which was excellent. The rack of lamb remains. The second courses have been consolidated so there are now five rather than six courses. The souffle has been replaced by a chocolate souffle. We all thought that the choices were excellent. (The Dom and the Penfolds 389 "Baby Grange" went well with everything!)

Fremantle/Perth was a lovely stop after three days crossing the Bight. Fremantle is a lovely, relaxed town, easily walked from the ship. Its new Maritime Museum and Shipwreck Museum are very interesting. Perth is a big city with much new construction underway. Its botanical gardens were lovely.

Geraldton is a pleasant smaller town from which we took a tour to the Oakabella Homestead, including a nice teahouse with delicious scones and sandwiches. Then the tour stopped at the Burnt Barrel BrewBQ for a lovely beer and barbeque tasting. The countryside in this area is very much like central to northern Arizona. Unfortunately, this was the first stop at which we were assaulted by zillions of small flies, which we remembered from the Uluru area many years ago. The flies were still on the ship next day at sea, causing a degree of havoc on the pool deck.

Exmouth is a small town on the Northwest Cape (about 2500 residents) and not really up to handling this kind of tourism. Still, it was a lovely day, though very hot and many flies. We were at anchor here, first time since Maui. We did do a nice bus tour of the area. Many passengers were disappointed because the snorkeling tour in this area with terrific snorkeling was cancelled do to tour boat problems. We sailed away at six P.M., but the ship had to turn around and return to Exmouth about 90 minutes later due to a medical emergency. We will still reach Bali on time since we have two sea days. Today is the first of these days, and it is sunny, lovely, with calm seas.

We will disembark in Bali so I will probably not post much more on this thread. Maybe some comments when it's over. Best wishes to all.

Fremantle Maritime Museum at sunset

Fremantle%20Maritime%20Museum%20at%20sunset.jpg

Caviar appetizer at Le Champagne

Caviar%20appetizer%20at%20Le%20Champagne.jpg

Perth

Perth%20AUS.jpg

Perth Botanical Garden entrance

Perth%20Botanical%20Garden%20entrance.jpg

Geraldton Burnt Barrel BeerBQ

Geraldton%20Burnt%20Barrel%20BeerBQ.jpg

Sunset 2-18-17 in Indian Ocean

Sunset%202-18-17%20in%20Indian%20Ocean.jpg

We are now mostly packed in preparation for our disembarkation tomorrow in Bali. Since our Qatar Airways flight doesn't leave until 7 pm, we have arranged to store our luggage while we take a ship's tour in Bali.

This has been a wonderful 46 days on the World Cruise. We have met genuinely lovely people, and have had a winning trivia team thanks to a combination of English, Canadian and American passengers. In fact, we were cheered yesterday when we had an incorrect answer. Yes, trivia is a blood sport. We are already forming our trivia team for next year's world cruise segments!

For us, the high points were the 4x4 trip to see the seals in Wellington, the Sydney botanical gardens, the atv ride on the dunes in New Castle, the Penfolds winery tour with the Wellseasoneds, dinner with our trivia team and flashing lights at fellow passengers who had gotten off in Sydney as the ship departed.

We hope our friends still on board have a most enjoyable continuation of their trip, and we wish everyone safe travels home.

A special thanks to Captain de Stefano and his entire team for a truly memorable voyage. This was Silversea at its finest!

We are now mostly packed in preparation for our disembarkation tomorrow in Bali. We hope our friends still on board have a most enjoyable continuation of their trip, and we wish everyone safe travels home. A special thanks to Captain de Stefano and his entire team for a truly memorable voyage. This was Silversea at its finest!

Appreciate these many posts, especially the lovely pictures from Wellseasoned. Safe travels as you fly back home with Qatar. Loved that airline a year ago when we used them to connect down and back from South Africa. Glad things have been so nice on this WC. Keep up the great sharing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 171,578 views for this posting.