Taking a break from Celebrity after our Eclipse cruise

uktog

Singapore Sling and it was Peroni beer they wouldn't get from elsewhere

Wow, that's terrible service! I can remember, many moons ago, Singapore Slings used to be on the Celebrity Drink of the Day menu. It's a nice drink that I enjoy, but surely not so difficult to make that it must be restricted to certain hours.

We are becoming very loyal to Azamara too, but because of the itinerary, we are trying Solstice for the first time in April. (We've only sailed M-class ships prior to this). I hope the attitude there is not the same as on Eclipse, especially since we're in a standard balcony cabin.

I am wondering - where in the Oceanview were the "fresh breads"? I'm being serious. I didn't have anything near "fresh" except for the fruit. I bake bread - to me, fresh = warm and soft (hard crust). Was there seriously anything like that? If so, I didn't see it.

Well the bread wasn't still warm but it had a hard crust with a soft center and you could tell they were baked that day. There were usually four types.

On the Equinox and Eclipse they were in a center island on the opposite side of the cold cuts/panini station.

Thanks for your comments, we've tried lots of lines over the last 25years, lately the last 7years we have traveled on 4 cruise a year usually 3 would be celebrity and the 4th we try something different! I agree things are not as they used to be but as has been said its not just Celebrity!

I still think value for money is good, I enjoy my holidays and unless something was really spoiling things I come home happy. What I have found is you can go on the same ship many times and things can be different sometimes better sometimes not, the comments about the buffets? I am not a big fan of buffets but I believe Celebrity have the best choice out there!

Thank you for this enlightening review. We were last on Celebrity in 2004, did not care for Infinity but was thinking about trying again.There are some interesting, longer itineraries but based on some of the comments, maybe still not a good fit for us.

You are certainly welcome. Actually the itinerary was fantastic, and we really enjoyed all the ports. Everything was great, except the food. To some people, the food might not be as important as other things. I just wish I had known before we signed up for this trip, that's all. I'm the type that reads the 1 star reviews on Amazon to see if what people perceive as faults are something I can live with. As always, YMMV.

Well the bread wasn't still warm but it had a hard crust with a soft center and you could tell they were baked that day. There were usually four types.

On the Equinox and Eclipse they were in a center island on the opposite side of the cold cuts/panini station.

Sounds just like what I like. Now I'm sorry I didn't try it. Thanks for the information though, if I ever find myself back on Celebrity, I'll remember the bread.

Sounds just like what I like. Now I'm sorry I didn't try it. Thanks for the information though, if I ever find myself back on Celebrity, I'll remember the bread.

OOPS too late. Next time you sail (more money saving cuts) Celebrity, the bread will be like they did with the bagels; Lenders type pre-frozen. :rolleyes:

Just finished 2 cruises on Celebrity in the last 120 days on different ships. Our observations were the same for both trips.

No change in the quality of the cabin service even though there was no assistant. They seemed to work 18 hours a day.

Food in the Oceanview was better and had a special each day. We liked that

Bar service staff was reduced. Fewer bartenders resulted in longer waits and staff who were "head down" and acknowledgement of you was limited. Other than 1 amazing waiter in the Martini Bar it was frustrating to go there. The quality of red wine available everywhere was poor unless we bought a bottle.

The food in the MDR was not quite as excellent as previous trips but still good. Portions were smaller but that was okay with us. However all the staff had way more tables and as hard as they tried service was slow. This was especially true for the sommelier.

Just returned from sailing REFLECTION yesterday........I ate in the main dining room 3 nights out of 7........service

was s l o w.........they don't seem to have enough wait staff anymore.......sitting with dirty dishes in front of you for

almost 15 minutes.....in my opinion, that is way too long......:rolleyes:

This being my first cruise on the Eclipse, I had no idea they had tubs of what looked like slop everywhere throughout the buffet.

What was just insane to me was the number of dutch ovens, big pots, pot after pot, filled with swimming beans, or some type of horrible looking stuff. Never would I even try such food - it looked terrible! I have photos which I have shared. My review was finally published, so you can see them there, I have more, too.

I looked at the list of all posts by you, but can't seem to find your review. Can you please include a link in case I am overlooking it?

Thanks!

Your pictures captured my thoughts about the buffet food. All overcooked in big vats in the back by cooks who shovel it into the dutch ovens.

One night my wife wanted a freshly cooked pork chop from the grill. The person behind the counter told her to take it from the dutch oven. I asked if he was refusing to cook a fresh pork chop? He said ok he'd cook it. She asked for it to be cooked medium. He disappeared then returned and said he could only cook it well done. They will serve no food before it's over cooked.

Please tell me you're not the one that thought hash browns were fried bread? That might lead to a credibility issue lol

Please tell me you're not the one that thought hash browns were fried bread? That might lead to a credibility issue lol

LOL! Well, if I remember correctly, there was a sign above the fried bread saying, believe it or not, "Fried Bread". If I got mixed up on the photo, it's not because there wasn't fried bread there! There was! I saw it! :-)

I must say that the cruise was a real education on what other cultures eat for breakfast. But I just wish they had covered the USA a little better. With more appetizing food. With flavor. Ok I'll give up now. LOL!

Your pictures captured my thoughts about the buffet food. All overcooked in big vats in the back by cooks who shovel it into the dutch ovens.

One night my wife wanted a freshly cooked pork chop from the grill. The person behind the counter told her to take it from the dutch oven. I asked if he was refusing to cook a fresh pork chop? He said ok he'd cook it. She asked for it to be cooked medium. He disappeared then returned and said he could only cook it well done. They will serve no food before it's over cooked.

I was there one morning when one of the "helpers" was shoving the french toast into a vat. He was pressing down hard because there wasn't enough room in one vat for all his french toast. Strange, the British breakfasts each had many vats for their "fried bread" or blood pudding. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was annoyed. I didn't let it destroy my vacation, but as you probably have noticed, I will go ON AND ON when I get a burr under my saddle.

Re: Your Wife's Pork Chop - Oh yes, she could have had one already in the vat - swimming in greasy liquid! I never saw so many swimming foods that I would ordinarily eat - like hamburger patties. I simply could not eat that stuff. Presentation is important! So I really can't comment on how well done everything was because I didn't really eat any meat at the buffet

LOL! Well, if I remember correctly, there was a sign above the fried bread saying, believe it or not, "Fried Bread". If I got mixed up on the photo, it's not because there wasn't fried bread there! There was! I saw it! :-)

I must say that the cruise was a real education on what other cultures eat for breakfast. But I just wish they had covered the USA a little better. With more appetizing food. With flavor. Ok I'll give up now. LOL!

Wasn't there a fresh egg station? I had eggs bene (just 1) every morning in May.

We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in August. I have a feeling that it will go like this..

1st cruise = fresh, new experience, exciting, fun

After a half dozen of cruises = stale, old news, expected

For the amount of money we all spend on our cruises, we all should have a wonderful time. If not, time to move on. Which is exactly what you're doing.

My best to you on all of your future cruises!

Wasn't there a fresh egg station? I had eggs bene (just 1) every morning in May.

Actually there were two such stations....both with long lines, and when you were done and had your eggs, you had to stand in line for toast. I tried it once - I requested a cheese omelette. What I received was a flat piece of egg with about 2 tablespoons of cheese sprinkled on top (not melted), not *inside* the omelette - just really scrambled eggs lightly sprinkled with cheese. :-(

I never saw so many swimming foods that I would ordinarily eat - like hamburger patties. I simply could not eat that stuff. Presentation is important! So I really can't comment on how well done everything was because I didn't really eat any meat at the buffet

Well at least on the Equinox in December the hamburger patties weren't swimming in water to keep them warm.

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

But you didn't need to taste it to see if it was well done or not.

Well at least on the Equinox in December the hamburger patties weren't swimming in water to keep them warm.

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

But you didn't need to taste it to see if it was well done or not.

There's nothing wrong with those hamburger patties. Those patties are identical to any hamburger patty you will find in any 4* + restaurant in Dallas, Texas! :D

There's nothing wrong with those hamburger patties. Those patties are identical to any hamburger patty you will find in any 4* + restaurant in Dallas, Texas! :D

Those dried out hamburgers exemplify why one should only get hamburgers that are direct from the grill, not sitting out in some pan. When I want a hamburger I go to the mast grill and ask them to give me one of the ones they are currently cooking (not reheating). Very big difference...and BTW, very good hamburgers when you get them this way.

Thousands of people cruise annually and a very small percentage post here. We are returning to Eclipse after a 2 year break (last year on HAL). I am going with an open mind as to what may have changed. Most people don't cruise yearly and when they get the chance to do so, I think they go hoping to have fun and relaxation. For sure, the food is important but there is something for everybody.

I wouldn't characterize Celebrity's hash browns as fried bread, I would say they're more like hockey pucks, only less flavorful.:eek: