Wine/corkage

BaltimoreCruise

POA1, we plan on bringing our 2 free bottles for our stateroom but if we brought a 3rd bottle we would be charged the corkage before we boarded so no way to trade. I recall reading a post on here about trading the sparkling wine for a bottle of regular wine. Not positive they were talking about HAL but I believe they mentioned Neptune suite so I think it was HAL. Anybody done that before? I would like to bring a 3rd bottle of wine but I refuse to pay more for corkage than I paid for the bottle of wine! Call me cheap[emoji14]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I swapped our sparkling wine when we were on Westerdam in a SB for a bottle of red wine. We poured the red wine down the drain after one taste. It may bother you to pay more for corkage than the wine costs but it maybe the best choice. We're bringing six bottles on board and we will happily pay the corkage to get a better wine.

I have a slightly different question that perhaps someone could help me with.

We are booked on the NA for the last seven day Caribbean cruise of the season and then are staying aboard for the 20 day repo cruise to Vancouver. We have TWO booking numbers so we are technically on two separate cruises. If we buy wine while ashore on our turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale will we be entitled to take two of the bottles (one each) back on the ship corkage free?

We will have an in transit card but was thinking if I printed off and took along boarding passes for the second cruise, that would be proof at the wine desk that we were on a separate second cruise. Any thoughts or experiences?

Good point, think I'll sit down and seriously look at how much wine I am likely to drink, haven't really looked closely at what wines are available. I'm spoiled with the great wines we have here in Oregon.

Here's the latest wine list for the MDR I know of.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Dining-Room-Wine-List.pdf

Here's the wine list for the Pinnacle Grill.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Pinnacle-Grill-Beverage-List.pdf

If you want a better wine experience, you'll find paying the corkage isn't such a bad idea.

(bold is mine) Right, that's why I didn't think about the corkage. I knew we wouldn't take the bottles to the dining room. It wasn't until we were in our cabin that I realized I hadn't checked in our wine. In Boston, even though there were only 2 bottles, that bag was whisked over to the wine table before we were through the scanner.

Next cruise, I'm planning to take 3 or 4 bottles, which we will drink on the balcony, so if there's nobody at the table, I guess I get to "cheat?" Not trying to cheat, just wondering what will happen if nobody's there.

Be prepared to insist upon your 'rights' if there is no one there. I've recounted this experience elsewhere but it's worth repeating. We boarded Westy with six bottles last March FFL. There was no one at the wine table.

- First, security told me that I could not take more than two bottles on board and I would have to dispose of the extra four. I told them that wasn't true that I could pay corkage. Another security person told the first, that was correct. (Could have lost four bottles here if I didn't understand the rules.)

- Second, another security person told me that since there was no one at the wine table, I would have to leave the wine and the wine would be delivered to my room later. (No way, I'm going for that one.)

- Third, I was allowed to take the wine while leaving the number of bottles and my name and room number for the wine people to charge the corkage. I had to insist that I was boarding now with the wine or they could get some one from the ship to appear.

On the first night, I took a bottle to the MDR and the wine steward explained I needed to pay corkage since there wasn't a sticker on the bottle. He relented after I explained the issue at check in, that I was being billed for corkage, but just hadn't received the stickers.

By the afternoon of the next day, still not having the stickers, I went to guest services and explained what happened. I told them I wanted to pay corkage but that I wanted the stickers. They had someone bring me the stickers. I was never charged.

Good point, think I'll sit down and seriously look at how much wine I am likely to drink, haven't really looked closely at what wines are available. I'm spoiled with the great wines we have here in Oregon.

I didn't see this option mentioned:

Rather than offering to "trade" the gifted wine for another bottle that sells for the same price (assuming there is nothing you care for), you could also "trade up" by paying the difference in price for something you do want.

That may end up costing less than paying for your own bottle plus corkage, and doesn't waste a bottle anywhere along the line.

This is our first time on HAL. Do I have this right? So we take our wine in our carry one and mention to the Staff that we want to pay corkage fees. They give us stickers to put on bottles and we take with us. Then we take bottle of wine with us to dinner and they store whatever we don't finish . We just ask for it each night. Once gone we bring another bottle with us? Sorry but I just want to make sure I understand

Here's what happened to us a week ago: I carried 6 bottles of wine in a wine carrier and after going through the metal detectors was approached by the corkage fee guy to handle the wine. We paid corkage on four of the bottles which were stickered. Our friends and neighbors had one bottle of wine in a backpack and they went through without any "wine check".

On boarding we discovered friend had bought us a Bon Voyage gift which included a bottle of sparkling wine, so we ended up with seven bottles.

One night we took two bottles of wine to dinner - one that we paid corkage on and one we did not. The wine steward charged the corkage on that one bottle. On another night we took the Bon Voyage sparkling wine (HAL provided so no corkage) as well as one bottle we paid corkage on and one bottle we did not. This time the wine steward did not charge us the corkage on that one bottle - and after dinner and plenty wine, I completely forgot about it too!

The corkage we were charged in Port Everglades was something like $71 and change (close to $72, 4 times $18). There was also Florida taxes charged to our account the first day - one for the corkage I think and the other for drinks ordered while in port.

Once again there is mention of this mysterious "unfinished wine". I have yet to come across that. :D

I didn't see this option mentioned:

Rather than offering to "trade" the gifted wine for another bottle that sells for the same price (assuming there is nothing you care for), you could also "trade up" by paying the difference in price for something you do want.

That may end up costing less than paying for your own bottle plus corkage, and doesn't waste a bottle anywhere along the line.

Thanks. That gives me an idea. I think I'll see just how much credit they offer for trading up.

I have a slightly different question that perhaps someone could help me with.

We are booked on the NA for the last seven day Caribbean cruise of the season and then are staying aboard for the 20 day repo cruise to Vancouver. We have TWO booking numbers so we are technically on two separate cruises. If we buy wine while ashore on our turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale will we be entitled to take two of the bottles (one each) back on the ship corkage free?

We will have an in transit card but was thinking if I printed off and took along boarding passes for the second cruise, that would be proof at the wine desk that we were on a separate second cruise. Any thoughts or experiences?

I wouldn't bother with a separate trip to Total Wine (says the man who goes there just "because I was at the grocery store and it's nearby.") I'd let them take the wine and store it until the end of the first segment. Then you can walk it off and back on, sans corkage.

I'd also work the issue with my wine steward at dinner, assuming that we had a good relationship. (Which we absolutely would.)

Of course, if you want to make a separate trip to Total Wine, who am I to judge?

Be prepared to insist upon your 'rights' if there is no one there. I've recounted this experience elsewhere but it's worth repeating. We boarded Westy with six bottles last March FFL. There was no one at the wine table.

- First, security told me that I could not take more than two bottles on board and I would have to dispose of the extra four. I told them that wasn't true that I could pay corkage. Another security person told the first, that was correct. (Could have lost four bottles here if I didn't understand the rules.)

- Second, another security person told me that since there was no one at the wine table, I would have to leave the wine and the wine would be delivered to my room later. (No way, I'm going for that one.)

- Third, I was allowed to take the wine while leaving the number of bottles and my name and room number for the wine people to charge the corkage. I had to insist that I was boarding now with the wine or they could get some one from the ship to appear.

On the first night, I took a bottle to the MDR and the wine steward explained I needed to pay corkage since there wasn't a sticker on the bottle. He relented after I explained the issue at check in, that I was being billed for corkage, but just hadn't received the stickers.

By the afternoon of the next day, still not having the stickers, I went to guest services and explained what happened. I told them I wanted to pay corkage but that I wanted the stickers. They had someone bring me the stickers. I was never charged.

Good point on insisting on your rights.

We have been told more than once that we "had to check our wine". (applies to ports and not just embarkation).

I simply reply back, no thanks. We'll pay the corkage.

They nearly expected people to not be willing to pay corkage and check the wine.

Once I said "no thanks" and re-iterated we would pay corkage as per the rules, they just had us sign the charge card, noted the wines and we carried it on board. :)

I wouldn't bother with a separate trip to Total Wine (says the man who goes there just "because I was at the grocery store and it's nearby.") I'd let them take the wine and store it until the end of the first segment. Then you can walk it off and back on, sans corkage.

I'd also work the issue with my wine steward at dinner, assuming that we had a good relationship. (Which we absolutely would.)

Of course, if you want to make a separate trip to Total Wine, who am I to judge?

It's good to know that is allowed. We were planning a trip to Publix for "stuff" on turnaround day anyway so we can do the Total Wine thing again at that time. It makes for less to carry aboard the first time around. Wine gets heavier when you get older-----you'll find out someday :)

Thanks for your advice to mention the issue to the wine steward as well.

We bought the 7 bottle Navigator Package in January, but on our next cruise we're heading to Total Wine before boarding. I'm assuming that the $18 corkage covers the service charge, correct?

Yes. Corkage *is* a service charge.

RocketMan thanks for the updated wine lists although we don't sail until Sept. so they could change between now and then, I'll keep an eye on them. Wondering if the people at the wine check in would do an exchange for corkage (would surprise me if they did) or if you are charged corkage at check if you could get a refund in exchange for the sparkling wine on the ship, even a bit more of OBC would be OK. I'm thinking that might not happen because corkage is a "service charge" and a bottle of wine is not. And since I'm here and in a hurry, a wine but not corkage question. Saw wine by the carafe listed on the wine lists... how would that work with the SBC... Can you just not do it or do they charge you for 3 drinks as the menu says a carafe is 3 drinks?

RocketMan thanks for the updated wine lists although we don't sail until Sept. so they could change between now and then, I'll keep an eye on them. Wondering if the people at the wine check in would do an exchange for corkage (would surprise me if they did) or if you are charged corkage at check if you could get a refund in exchange for the sparkling wine on the ship, even a bit more of OBC would be OK. I'm thinking that might not happen because corkage is a "service charge" and a bottle of wine is not. And since I'm here and in a hurry, a wine but not corkage question. Saw wine by the carafe listed on the wine lists... how would that work with the SBC... Can you just not do it or do they charge you for 3 drinks as the menu says a carafe is 3 drinks?

I can't answer your question. Our next cruise will be our first and our last cruise with SBC so I have no experience. Nor do we dine frequently in the MDR. We dined there only once on our last cruise and we took our own wine.

To be honest, we do not enjoy the MDR. It's too loud and too crowded for our tastes. We'd rather do room service on the balcony.

I did check a couple of things.

- The wine list has Seven Falls Cabernet Sauvignon, 3 drink carafe for $32.75. Total Wine sells this for $17.99 per bottle. $18 + $18 corkage is $36 almost the same price and you'd have 20% more wine, ie, two glasses.

- The wine list also has a carafe of Meridian Pinot Noir for $26. Total Wine sells this for $8.99. Once again, almost the same price but, once again, 20% more wine.

Now, remember the SBC only includes wines at or below $8.00. The Pinor Noir would be above this limit as would almost all the carafes.

If you want semi-decent wines, you might consider upgrading to the elite beverage package. If you got the SBC as a part of $xplore4, there are mixed reports on whether this can be done. The elite package includes beverages under $15 but adds another $10 PPPD. That would cover almost all the wines in the MDR but only a few of the reds in the Pinnacle Grill. Of course, adding the elite is the same as paying $140 in corkage.

It's difficult to enjoy good wine while cruising without paying a ton or bringing your own.

I mentioned the SBC. We decided to try it on our next cruise but on reflection, that's not going to work for us. Our local wine merchant put together a six bottle wine package for us after looking at the menus. Cost, including HAL corkage, was about $250. Not one of these wines is rated less than 93.

BTW, on HAL, your TA will price the cruise with and without promos like $xplore4. We'll do that next time, bring our own wine, and pay out of pocket for soft drinks, etc.

I don't know how you're traveling to the port. We drive so that makes it simple. Even if you're flying, you can go to Total Wine which is very close to the port. You can order on line and they'll have it ready for you to pick up. Google total wine.

It's good to know that is allowed. We were planning a trip to Publix for "stuff" on turnaround day anyway so we can do the Total Wine thing again at that time. It makes for less to carry aboard the first time around. Wine gets heavier when you get older-----you'll find out someday :)

Thanks for your advice to mention the issue to the wine steward as well.

On our B2B cruises, we have not had any bottles returned to us at the end of the first segment. It was all kept in storage until our B2B was finished.

Of course, YMMV, as nothing is the same from one ship to another.

Hope it works for you. Might have to try again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across what might be a deal breaker. I've decided I'm willing to pay the corkage fee to have my wine I like but on looking at info about crossing the Canadian border it seems to me that they are saying I will be charged tax to bring my wine into Canada to take it on my Alaska cruise. Anybody have experience with that?

I've come across what might be a deal breaker. I've decided I'm willing to pay the corkage fee to have my wine I like but on looking at info about crossing the Canadian border it seems to me that they are saying I will be charged tax to bring my wine into Canada to take it on my Alaska cruise. Anybody have experience with that?

I think you can bring in 2 bottles per person.

Each person can bring 1.5 L of wine duty free when entering Canada, or 2 bottles per person. Your corkage free allowance on HAL is 1 750 ml bottle per person.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

Just curious what color are the stickers for corkage? I think they were neon orange. Can anyone verify?

We've had orange, green, red and black and white printed. Some were circles and some were square.

Each person can bring 1.5 L of wine duty free when entering Canada, or 2 bottles per person. Your corkage free allowance on HAL is 1 750 ml bottle per person.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

The duty on bringing wine to Canada is negligible. We live in Canada very close to border and have brought cases across the border. In most instances, the CBSA officer will just waive you across as filling out the paperwork is more of a hassle than it is worth. You could however (and should be ready to) fall on an officer who likes to enforce the rules and have to spend some time in detention to pay a bill amounting to a few dollars. I doubt they would go through that however for a few bottles. Good luck!

One time I had a bottle of Champagne which I paid the corkage on ice in my cabin, drank a couple of glasses, then took the bottle to dinner. The waiter tried to charge me corkage because he didn't see the sticker. I told him I paid, and the sticker must have come off while in the ice bucket but he took my card number and they charged me again. I went to guest service when I saw the charge and they credited me the 18.00. Sometimes they create more problems for guest services that necessary.

The duty on bringing wine to Canada is negligible. We live in Canada very close to border and have brought cases across the border. In most instances, the CBSA officer will just waive you across as filling out the paperwork is more of a hassle than it is worth. You could however (and should be ready to) fall on an officer who likes to enforce the rules and have to spend some time in detention to pay a bill amounting to a few dollars. I doubt they would go through that however for a few bottles. Good luck!

This is true for CBSA but I believe there are provincial limitations and charges. There are differences based on the province entered in which one brings the wine. I believe BC has higher charges than Alberta, for example, because BC is trying to protect their wine industry.

AMM, you might want to see if you can purchase your wine in BC, or alternatively, purchase some BC wines to try on your cruise. I found this website which may help you determine whether or not it is worth bringing your own wine into BC: http://www.winelaw.ca/cms/legal-info-public/shipping-border-import/19-bringing-wine-back-to-canada-after-a-trip. This is more for Canadians bringing wine back, though.