I am a chair hog

PoppyandNana

You mean those items on the loungers are not free gifts for the cruisers?

We just remove the items from the loungers and give them to the pool attendant. Inform them I found some items for the lost and found. If the owner comes back to the chair then I will just tell them nothing was on the chair and to check with the attendant. If you lay your stuff down on the chair and jump in the pool or get a drink then that is fine. If you are going back to your room, exiting the ship or eating breakfast or lunch then the chair is up for grabs.

I was on that same Equinox cruise and saw several very heated arguments when the chair hogs returned to find others in "their" chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread is halarious and %100 accurate. Last year on our 14 night Eclipse cruise we had trouble getting 2 lounge chairs after breakfast every day. We walked around on 2 decks and nothing to be found, lots of towels...etc on them but no bodies!!! So, we asked a pool attendant if he could find us 2 chairs together. We walked around the pool deck with the guy and he asked people who were sitting if/ how long chairs were empty that were next to them. So, we have our chairs and loan behold, within 30 mins of relaxing, over came the couple looking for Their chairs that had been empty for more than 2 hrs....lol ( so the couple told us who had been there)! They asked why we were in their seats, well we didn't get a chance to open our mouths, the couple who had told the attendant, just told them about the 30 min rule. They were pissed. They were told to go to customer service to retrieve their things! Whew!!! We dodged that bullet!!!

I don't understand why people hog chairs in the shade and in the sun anyway. Like, come on! And why get up at 5 am to do it! Ridiculous. I get you want chairs but you don't have to leave them for the entire day. We leave to go for lunch and / or swim! I hope I'm not considered a HOG! :eek:

Chair hogs are not exclusive to Celebrity. It's just as bad at land resorts, if not worse. At least Celebrity has a policy that they sometimes enforce. If it's a problem and the pool attendants are not enforcing the rules, then you need to keep reporting it up the chain of command.

If a returning chair hog confronts the new occupant of their abandoned seat the rest of us should all chant "chair hog". Embarrass them once and they may never do it again.

Also like the idea of pretending to photograph them as they set up in the morning and telling them the pics will be displayed on the "cc chair hog wall of shame".

If a returning chair hog confronts the new occupant of their abandoned seat the rest of us should all chant "chair hog". Embarrass them once and they may never do it again.

Also like the idea of pretending to photograph them as they set up in the morning and telling them the pics will be displayed on the "cc chair hog wall of shame".

Love this!! I would so do this too!

I'm on Reflection in March! I plan on posting a review after. Think I will include pictures of said hogs!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

They are everywhere. I'm a solo traveller so can usually find a seat somewhere, preferably away from the pool. There's a deck above the Haven on Epic that has comfy loungers but isn't opened up until 9am. I've been in the queue for that and still struggled to find a nice seat. I'm naturally an early riser so I find a lounger in other ships, put my stuff down and go to get tea before settling down

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think cruise ships should all be retro fitted with gigantic platforms that slide out from under the pool deck when the ship is at sea (out, up a little, and click). Big sea wings! It could be a daily event. No railings on the extension to make it interesting. It would increase the deck space considerably thus eliminating the chair issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I appreciate the humor on this post for us this is a big deal. On HAL, X, and NCL there is an option to pay extra for a cabana or lounge area. We just got off HAL and a reserved cabana at the pool was exquisite.

We will be back to X for an 11 night cruise an I am really concerned with getting a lounger anywhere near the pool particularly on sea days. Getting up at 7 AM to acquire a chair is not in my definition of 'vacation' (and I refuse to be a chair hog).

The only answer would seem to be (outside of passengers deploying common courtesy) is for the attendants to aggressively patrol the loungers. Particularly very early in the morning, if six chairs are reserved and nobody to be seen, leave a card and if the card is still there a half hour later remove the stuff.

I am reluctant to make the effort to do this (remove items) myself as I am on vacation and don't really need the drama of some knucklehead making a scene.

We will see how it goes but I could see leaving X unless they make a concerted effort to resolve this problem.

The only answer would seem to be (outside of passengers deploying common courtesy) is for the attendants to aggressively patrol the loungers. Particularly very early in the morning, if six chairs are reserved and nobody to be seen, leave a card and if the card is still there a half hour later remove the stuff.

We will see how it goes but I could see leaving X unless they make a concerted effort to resolve this problem.

Pretty sad! I was just on the Reflection last month and the pool attendants told passengers to leave personal items on the loungers to reserve them, because if they just left towels, they would take the towels, thus they would lose their lounger.

I found a lounger in the shade at about 10:00 and sat their for about an hour or two and there were many loungers that were never used, but saved with their "personal items".

We are out by the pool around 8 to spend the morning.

If a chair is not occupied for 1/2 hour-45 minutes, I ask the pool staff to remove the belongings. If they do not I will and hand the staff the belongings.

So if you come out early, reserve chairs and go back to bed. I am sorry. ;)

I do this too. There's a 40 minute rule for a reason. If you aren't using the chair why put your things on it?

Pretty sad! I was just on the Reflection last month and the pool attendants told passengers to leave personal items on the loungers to reserve them, because if they just left towels, they would take the towels, thus they would lose their lounger.

I found a lounger in the shade at about 10:00 and sat their for about an hour or two and there were many loungers that were never used, but saved with their "personal items".

This bothers me! We will be on Reflection next month! I will be watching for this and I will post what happens!

While I appreciate the humor on this post for us this is a big deal. On HAL, X, and NCL there is an option to pay extra for a cabana or lounge area. We just got off HAL and a reserved cabana at the pool was exquisite.

We will be back to X for an 11 night cruise an I am really concerned with getting a lounger anywhere near the pool particularly on sea days. Getting up at 7 AM to acquire a chair is not in my definition of 'vacation' (and I refuse to be a chair hog).

I am reluctant to make the effort to do this (remove items) myself as I am on vacation and don't really need the drama of some knucklehead making a scene.

We shouldn't HAVE to pay more just to get a reserved area near the pool. Kind of sounds more like a great deal for the cruise lines. More ways to make more

$$$!

Yep. They probably make a killing on it. Meanwhile we're left chairless :(

A number of years ago, on the Emerald Princess I had gotten up early to take some ship photos & about 7:15 AM I saw a woman doing the same thing- had towels & books to save 6 chairs around one of the pools. I went up & took some photos of her while she was hogging. She asked me why I was taking her picture & I told her it was going to post it on Cruise Critic when I returned and make her famous. I really wasn't but she didn't know that. An hour or so later I saw where her group, now about 3 were up on the upper deck out of the way. Not sure I scared her or what but I gather she had heard about CC!

Charlie

In response to cjmayes51.... I've got a better idea. Take a video of the chair hogger in action and send it to Americas Funniest Videos. You may even win a T-Shirt. LOL

I love waking up early before anyone, scoping out my pool spot, setting up my towels on the chairs, sitting back and enjoying my coffee while the pool deck is nice and quiet....it's very peaceful. If you don't want to get up early to get a chair don't complain when u can't find one...

U snooze, unfortunately u lose ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I love waking up early before anyone, scoping out my pool spot, setting up my towels on the chairs, sitting back and enjoying my coffee while the pool deck is nice and quiet....it's very peaceful. If you don't want to get up early to get a chair don't complain when u can't find one...

U snooze, unfortunately u lose ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Nothing wrong with that. One a recent cruise aboard the Equinox, as my wife and I were doing our morning walk, I saw a man, in his 70's, marking off 12, twelve, one dozen lounge chairs. Six were poolside and six were under the under hang for shade. This was at 7:15 in the morning. I asked him, in a friendly manner, who all those chairs were for? He said they were for his wife, daughter and son-in-law and two grandchildren. I asked him if they were right behind him ready to sit and start the day, he said oh no, they won't be out until 10 or 11. I asked him what if people coming to pool right now wanted to sit there to which he replied TS.

What do we do? How do we combat this offensive, rude and disgusting way of conducting one's self? The cruise lines are reluctant to take overt action. Passengers don't want to get into a confrontation which leaves a sour taste in your mouth. What is the answer? Get ourselves out there at 7am and fight fire with fire and to hell with everybody else?

To us, of all the behaving badly acts aboard a cruise ship, this ranks up there as number one. Land resorts have the same problem, even the upscale ones. We love cruising and try to ignore this aspect. In the Caribbean, we stay aboard in most ports to enjoy the quiet and availability of lounge chairs. Sea days are another matter. For the most part the culprits seem to be women in their 70's and 80's, occasionally a man, rarely a young couple.