I am a chair hog

PoppyandNana

In January we were on Royal Caribbean where you have to check out the towels. It's a bit of a pain, but we didn't see as many towels left on chairs like we did the following week on the Reflection. We were sitting next to a couple who told friends close by that they were done at the pool for the day. As they started to walk away leaving four used towels, my husband nicely told them that others would know the chairs were available if the took their towels to the bin. They were genuinely surprised and acted like he came up with a brilliant idea!

One thing that irked me was not being able to find a lounge chair in the sun and seeing people sleeping on the chair completely covered up by towels to stay out of the sun!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As a chair hog is it ok with you to break rules; maybe everyone on a cruise ship should break rules: likes eating at your reserved dinner table or reserving a whole row of seats in the theater.
Good point. I would bet the answer would be yes, unless the rule you break inconveniences them.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting up at 7 AM to acquire a chair is not in my definition of 'vacation' (and I refuse to be a chair hog).

The only answer would seem to be (outside of passengers deploying common courtesy) is for the attendants to aggressively patrol the loungers. Particularly very early in the morning, if six chairs are reserved and nobody to be seen, leave a card and if the card is still there a half hour later remove the stuff.

I am reluctant to make the effort to do this (remove items) myself as I am on vacation and don't really need the drama of some knucklehead making a scene.

I wholeheartedly agree! It is vacation which means sleeping late and no drama! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...
They are out and about earlier than that. They are busy untying the loungers that are tethered the night before and aligning the loungers for the day or anything else that needs taking care of. I start walking the track before 6:00 AM and they (pool attendants) appear shortly after 6:00AM

We have just got back from Constellation in Asia and the problem existed daily. The pool butler told us they were reluctant to remove personal belongings on request because in the past they had been accused of theft if anything went missing. You can't expect some poor guy on the basic wage trying to put his kid through school in the Philippines or India to stand up to an obnoxious passenger who objects to having his belongings removed. They are not willing to jeopardize their job in the case of an argument. There needs to be officers in uniform or security present round the pool at all times so that the offenders soon realize they can't get away with it.

I cannot sunbathe because of having Basel Cell Carcinoma, which is unfair in and of itself, because I was never a sun worshipper like all my friends! And when I do venture into the sea for a quick swim covered head to toe, I get a lot of stares as I waddle in wearing what I call a “Burkini”. But THIS post makes me feel better about my lot in life!! Thanks all! I can’t lounge by the pool. Check.

I cannot sunbathe because of having Basel Cell Carcinoma, which is unfair in and of itself, because I was never a sun worshipper like all my friends! And when I do venture into the sea for a quick swim covered head to toe, I get a lot of stares as I waddle in wearing what I call a “Burkini”. But THIS post makes me feel better about my lot in life!! Thanks all! I can’t lounge by the pool. Check.

But you also cannot find chairs underneath the shaded area adjacent to the outdoor pool or inside the Solarium, because all of those loungers have been "hogged" as well! Those of us that need to stay out of the sun for melanoma or other issues are also trying to find chairs in the shaded areas near the pool or in the Solarium and are having the exact same issues with the hogs.

I do this too. There's a 40 minute rule for a reason. If you aren't using the chair why put your things on it?

What I fail to understand is why cruise lines don’t take a more aggressive stance on hogging. They know it is a scourge that nine of 10 people hate, detest and don’t do it.

People say the cruise lines are reluctant to “offend “ paying customers. The fact of the matter is if a passenger gets really pissed to the point they switch lines there are hundreds more waiting in line to take their place.

The rest of the passengers would be so happy if rules were really, really enforced they would all flood to that one line.

We have just got back from Constellation in Asia and the problem existed daily. The pool butler told us they were reluctant to remove personal belongings on request because in the past they had been accused of theft if anything went missing. You can't expect some poor guy on the basic wage trying to put his kid through school in the Philippines or India to stand up to an obnoxious passenger who objects to having his belongings removed. They are not willing to jeopardize their job in the case of an argument. There needs to be officers in uniform or security present round the pool at all times so that the offenders soon realize they can't get away with it.

Lame excuse. What I do expect is they do their job! If they can't or won't it's up to them to engage their boss or security. Not to give whiney excuses. It's unfortunate there are a few jerks (passengers) who will give the pool attendants a hard time but that's not the other passengers problem. But I've never had a dog in this fight.

Edited by davekathy

But you also cannot find chairs underneath the shaded area adjacent to the outdoor pool or inside the Solarium, because all of those loungers have been "hogged" as well! Those of us that need to stay out of the sun for melanoma or other issues are also trying to find chairs in the shaded areas near the pool or in the Solarium and are having the exact same issues with the hogs.

We definitely have different doctors, and advice. The shade, outside, is just “less sunny”, but still not preferred for my condition. Next time you are in the shadiest area, hover your hand over your other arm. See a shadow? You are still getting harmful rays. So while I COULD sit in the shade with all my fashionable “uvskinz” clothing, I prefer not to unless I have to. And I never “have to” on a ship. Which is why I love cruising vs., say, an all inclusive. Ships have SO many indoor activities, for people like me, it’s fantastic. If you are on a ship and claim you are bored....you are too high maintenance lol.

Should I hang my head in shame....I became a chair hog last cruise. Up to the chairs about 7.30am to secure the holy grail chairs. I observed other techniques to make it look genuine so followed them and managed to get great position. I will however tell you that we spent a lot of time beside the pool and gladly vacated our positions when we were ready to move on.

Should I hang my head in shame....I became a chair hog last cruise. Up to the chairs about 7.30am to secure the holy grail chairs. I observed other techniques to make it look genuine so followed them and managed to get great position. I will however tell you that we spent a lot of time beside the pool and gladly vacated our positions when we were ready to move on.

If you reserved your chair at 7:30am when did you actually arrive to use that chair? How long after 7:30 am did you deny anybody else the right to the use of that chair?

If you reserved your chair at 7:30am when did you actually arrive to use that chair? How long after 7:30 am did you deny anybody else the right to the use of that chair?

We were there after breakfast about 9am. Generally spent 3 hours relaxing.

Don't hang your head in shame/ Do what you want. I am just trying to get other people to understand that they do not have to respect it. It's Not a problem for me because I will not observe your self imposed 'reserved seating'. The ship staff will not support your claim to the chair so have a nice day. It's really simple for me because I will take "your" chairs when I get there. It's only the 1% of passengers who do this who will think I am the jerk. That's ok because I will be sitting in "YOUR" chair!

Is it ok to leave your chair for a quick meal in the buffet? I do not chair hog for hours but have left my towels and bag for half an hour to grab a breakfast or lunch.

Perfectly acceptable!

Last cruise on HAL, there were multiple dual chair hogs, and not enough chairs to begin with (yes HAL). Staff also refused to find chairs, and even said we should reserve :eek:. This was day 2; next 9 days we did reserve. Not proud.

I would prefer not to chair hog.

Please, let's not be silly, ok? We ALL know what a chair hog is. We are not talking about normal usage of a chair at a pool. Go in the hot tub, grab a quick bite to eat, go in the pool, read a book, take a nap... Once you are actually using the chair, it is NOT the problem. The problem is simple. Self-centered passengers who think they can reserve a chair ALL DAY because they woke up early and put a towel on it. I got an email from a real jerk who told me that if I snooze, I lose. He said that if HE is willing to wake up at 6 am, then he deserves the chair and I DON'T. There is no argument. I thanked him for saving me a chair because when I am ready to go to the pool, I will sit in "his" chair and read "his" book. I suggested some snacks and maybe a glass of wine.

Just returned Monday from the Reflection and have NEVER seen chair hogs as bad as they were on this trip. Went out at 8:00am and EVERY lounger on deck 14 and 15 were "Taken" and probably only about 5% had anyone in them...and no one in the pool. One in our party did notice the butler putting a time on some of the loungers but not very often. It is completely out of hand. I am almost to the point that they need to start charging to reserve loungers.

Please, let's not be silly, ok? We ALL know what a chair hog is. We are not talking about normal usage of a chair at a pool. Go in the hot tub, grab a quick bite to eat, go in the pool, read a book, take a nap... Once you are actually using the chair, it is NOT the problem. The problem is simple. Self-centered passengers who think they can reserve a chair ALL DAY because they woke up early and put a towel on it. I got an email from a real jerk who told me that if I snooze, I lose. He said that if HE is willing to wake up at 6 am, then he deserves the chair and I DON'T. There is no argument. I thanked him for saving me a chair because when I am ready to go to the pool, I will sit in "his" chair and read "his" book. I suggested some snacks and maybe a glass of wine.

[emoji23][emoji23] THIS is great!

You don't wonder how someone could have emailed him when there is no contact info? Good fiction takes some plausibility for it to work properly.

No, because comedy doesn’t have to be based on true events. Still love the last two statements. If you don’t find that funny I don’t get that.

You don't wonder how someone could have emailed him when there is no contact info? Good fiction takes some plausibility for it to work properly.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Well PoppyandNana, congratulations....you're part of the problem now. Just know, now that my wife and I have learned the trick we will be taking your crap and throwing it overboard. Don't leave anything too precious on your deck chair!!