I am a chair hog

PoppyandNana

Well PoppyandNana, congratulations....you're part of the problem now. Just know, now that my wife and I have learned the trick we will be taking your crap and throwing it overboard. Don't leave anything too precious on your deck chair!!

And if I see you throwing crap overboard I'll report you and you'll be thrown off the ship. :rolleyes: That will free up two more loungers.;p

And having just had a good friend die of melanoma all I can add is that all those folks who lay for hours in the sun on those hogged chairs so they can show off their tans and brag to their friends and coworkers about their vacations will someday likely come to regret it. Karma's a you-know-what. Hog away my friends. Its your funeral.

Because we are fortunate to live in S. Florida we are not interested in basking in the sun, getting a tan, roasting on a spit. We understand the dangers of excessive sun exposure and do not cruise to spend time in the sun. So we won’t be the chair hogs vying for that coveted space. However, we do enjoy the Solarium loungers on occasion and would appreciate a little consideration once in awhile. Just a little, please.

I’ve given up stressing about it, it’s the same everywhere you go now, cruise or hotel and you can’t change it. As far as I can see it’s never going to change and I don’t go on holiday to get into arguments with people or stress out. We get up early and find a couple of chairs then have breakfast round the pool, the wife or myself bring out a few continental items and relax. We leave the towels and books when we go for lunch. This would be on a sea day. Pool days we use our balcony and get breakfast using room service. I’m an early riser anyway so it works for us. The chairs round the pool always seem to go first anyway and since my wife has had skin cancer twice we always sit in the area that’s covered anyway which seems less popular. That’s on s class ships by the way.

We have just got back from Constellation in Asia and the problem existed daily. The pool butler told us they were reluctant to remove personal belongings on request because in the past they had been accused of theft if anything went missing. You can't expect some poor guy on the basic wage trying to put his kid through school in the Philippines or India to stand up to an obnoxious passenger who objects to having his belongings removed. They are not willing to jeopardize their job in the case of an argument. There needs to be officers in uniform or security present round the pool at all times so that the offenders soon realize they can't get away with it.

That's a lame excuse. If one leaves a valuable paperback, magazine, or a flip flop unattended for hours, what can one expect? Accusing somebody of theft is classic transfer of accountabilty - get caught doing something wrong and try to blame the teacher, the cops, the courts, or the pool attendant.

I use chair hogs as a never-ending supply of towels and reading materials.

I finally convinced my wife after 20 years to get into the pool on our last cruise (she considers them very unhygienic) and she broke out in a rash. First and last time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I totally agree with your wife....I'm convinced they are a total petri dish of yuk!

That's a lame excuse. If one leaves a valuable paperback, magazine, or a flip flop unattended for hours, what can one expect? Accusing somebody of theft is classic transfer of accountabilty - get caught doing something wrong and try to blame the teacher, the cops, the courts, or the pool attendant.

I agree. It's a lame excuse. Besides that they have CCTV all over the ship.

Phil

We saw the same chair hogging behavior at high end all incluseives. Outside of a measured policing policy it seems that dedicated areas like the Haven, MSC Yacht Club, or Princess Sanctuary are the future answer. We love X but they have been late to the game in offering a guaranteed area for us sun worshipers. It is the only

real negative/ concern we have when we book X. We just booked an MSC Yacht Club and will look hard at 'guaranteed' pool seating when we make our cruise selections.

It may well be a lame excuse but that is what the pool butlers were saying so that they did not have to remove long term unattended personal items on request.If you wish to remove those items yourself then fine. I just don't need the aggravation on a holiday.

It may well be a lame excuse but that is what the pool butlers were saying so that they did not have to remove long term unattended personal items on request.If you wish to remove those items yourself then fine. I just don't need the aggravation on a holiday.

If they just remove the abandoned towels it would make a difference.

Well PoppyandNana, congratulations....you're part of the problem now. Just know, now that my wife and I have learned the trick we will be taking your crap and throwing it overboard. Don't leave anything too precious on your deck chair!!

This is the exact text of my post. Where in there is there any reference to throwing other people’s articles overboard:

What I fail to understand is why cruise lines don’t take a more aggressive stance on hogging. They know it is a scourge that nine of 10 people hate, detest and don’t do it.

People say the cruise lines are reluctant to “offend “ paying customers. The fact of the matter is if a passenger gets really pissed to the point they switch lines there are hundreds more waiting in line to take their place.

The rest of the passengers would be so happy if rules were really, really enforced they would all flood to that one line.

Edited by PoppyandNana

I sailed X from 2001 to 2016- loved the Cruise line- and was a very loyal X- cruiser. Made it up to Elite Plus- but thats neither here no there. With the intro of the Solstice Class X stopped to impress me- us!

The main reason why it is so hard to get a chair is that there is no longer a prommenade deck- complete with lounge chairs- so it´s either your own balcony- if you booked a balcony cabin - or the upper deck which can get very crowded- esp. in the Caribbean!

I never seek for a lounger chair close to the pool- but each his own- i prefer to sit and read my book watching the sea go by! Can´t stand that noise on the upper deck.

There more reason that drove us to Cunard- but the thread is about chair hogs- so I don´t go into that. So for the time beeing we are done with X. Holland America and Cunard are now cruise lines of choice!

We were on the Celebrity Equinox the first week in March and the pooldeck was busy but we were always able to find sun loungers after our breakfast in the cabin. We always have breakfast in the cabin or at the balcony before we head up to the outer decks. By 11 AM the pooldeck was packed on the seadays but we managed to find loungers and moved them to our preferred area. We don't like to relax right by the pool due to the noise. The problem is that a lot of guests use their neighboor loungers to just store their belongings on. The pool butlers patrolled the pooldeck and cleared loungers that was reserved but not in use :) We usually sail in the MSC Yacht Club and there the chair hog problem is non existent. Overall we found the upper decks very relaxing and the Solstice Deck was lovely.