I am a chair hog

PoppyandNana

The staff really should enforce the 30 minute rule but some may be intimidated.

DH and I will never be chair hogs. After having our own pool and hot tub for over 20 years we have no desire to use a public pool. We know way too much about pool sanitation. :eek:

I finally convinced my wife after 20 years to get into the pool on our last cruise (she considers them very unhygienic) and she broke out in a rash. First and last time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

You'll find 99% of them in the old, feeling entitled and cranky category though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. The younger ones will just remove the stuff from the chairs and not bother waking up early to claim their spot. The elderly will be up at sunrise to throw a towel and paperback books on several chairs so they can go eat breakfast, play trivia, bingo etc...

On Eclipse a few years ago, my husband and I were flabbergasted to see a lady (probably about 40ish) settling all her "Teddy Bears" on their own lounger. Her husband and she took one on either side! She even put sun lotion on them (messy!). The bears looked after the other 2 loungers when the pair went for lunch. I was tempted to chuck them overboard, but as I am a rule follower, didn't dare!!

To me, the ongoing and everlasting issue of "chair hogs" is simple and clear:

Some people simply have no class and you cannot make a silk purse from a horse's caboose.

Personally, I laugh at them. I mean it, I watch the action of these inconsiderate "gavones" with great amusement. And they have more stories than Mother Goose if asked to justify their selfish acts.

The day people like this can spoil my cruise is the day I give up cruising. I don't pay thousands of dollars to lounge around a ship's pool each sea day - I can lounge around my own pool, choose my own music and not have to listen to screaming and other prepubescent manifestations.

The sea is peaceful and tranquil if you allow it to be. The K-Mart Code of Conduct should not be allowed to disrupt that - and allowing it to is self-inflicted.

Enjoy the show - it truly rivals the Celebrity Theater at times.

Spill in Aisle 3!

Commenting on the bolded sentences ABOVE ... when I'm looking for a lounge, and the only thing(s) on it is a rumpled towel or two, I assume the chair is available and move the towels myself.

Pet peeve! No one likes to be required to check out towels but it solves this problem. While early in the morning there are tons of people reserving chairs, as the day progresses more and more chairs are full of wet towels so you can't tell if they are being used or not. Put your used towels away!

We are booked on the Silhouette for December. Now I'm concerned about the age group. The itinerary is awesome but I don't fancy a boatload of cranky, senior, chair hogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I truly understand your concern. And you should be. Let me say this. If your December cruise is over Christmas and/or New Years, you will be fine. In fact, lots of young folks with children. However, cruises are normally less expensive in earlier December, which makes them very attractive to the "cranky, senior, chair hog" entitled demographic. You can't get away from them, lol!! Even the elevators were a trip! Even some of the crew made polite comments about it to us, because they knew we weren't "one of them." because they were so demanding. LOL! I was able to get past it and just do our own thing, but my husband said never again a December cruise from a Florida port.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

I truly understand your concern. And you should be. Let me say this. If your December cruise is over Christmas and/or New Years' date=' you will be fine. In fact, lots of young folks with children. However, cruises are normally less expensive in earlier December, which makes them very attractive to the "cranky, senior, chair hog" entitled demographic. You can't get away from them, lol!! Even the elevators were a trip! Even some of the crew made polite comments about it to us, because they knew we weren't "one of them." because they were so demanding. LOL! I was able to get past it and just do our own thing, but my husband said never again a December cruise from a Florida port.[/quote']

The thing I love about the "cranky, senior, chair hog" people is that they rarely hang out in the smoking area of the sunset bar, which is where you can find me. My wife and I are not sit by the pool people either, so I would rather have them congregate over there !!

The thing I love about the "cranky, senior, chair hog" people is that they rarely hang out in the smoking area of the sunset bar, which is where you can find me. My wife and I are not sit by the pool people either, so I would rather have them congregate over there !!

Haha, I hear ya! Same with the Martini Bar at night, and most of the other bars. They don't really drink, and they go to the shows, which we normally don't.

Haha' date=' I hear ya! Same with the Martini Bar at night, and most of the other bars. They don't really drink, and they go to the shows, which we normally don't.[/quote']

Yes you are correct forgot about the shows which we do not attend either !!

DH and I will never be chair hogs. After having our own pool and hot tub for over 20 years we have no desire to use a public pool. We know way too much about pool sanitation. :eek:

Never thought of that...but it's a really good reason NOT to swim in the pool!!! :D

On Eclipse a few years ago, my husband and I were flabbergasted to see a lady (probably about 40ish) settling all her "Teddy Bears" on their own lounger. Her husband and she took one on either side! She even put sun lotion on them (messy!). The bears looked after the other 2 loungers when the pair went for lunch. I was tempted to chuck them overboard, but as I am a rule follower, didn't dare!!

Why not? Seems reasonable to me :D

Caribill:

LOVE IT. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Amazon sells everything!! Lookie here' date=' a his and hers so you can hog two chairs! LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Bachelor-Party-Inflatable-Female-Woman/dp/B01MZ1ZGC0/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1485967328&sr=8-35&keywords=blow+up+dolls[/quote']

First the towels. Next came empty gym bags then flip flops. Now we see the clips. Now dolls?

How do you defeat the clips? They clearly represent an intent to reserve that particular chair. Unlikely they will give up their clips as they might a library book and towel. Still fuming from the last ten days where these people from this group were out at 7am to reserve chairs. Throughout the day people would come out, mark a chair with their manner of choice then disappear only to return two hours later. Watched this many times over the cruise. Virtually all of these hoggers were in their 70's and 80's. Must be what they do at their home condo/pool.

I live in a +55 community in NJ and see the same thing here. Not so much to reserve a table and umbrella for casual swimming but when there is a social event in the evening the all come with gear at 2 for 3 in the afternoon and mark their table for a 7pm event.

I was on the same 10 day Equinox cruise. We live in Florida so we do not usually sit anywhere near the pool but in the solarium. But on this cruise were were with friends from NY so we decided to join them on one day (they only wanted to sit outside one day). We were just amazed and annoyed at the degree of hogging. They found 2 lounges on the Solstice Deck (way above the pool area). From the time they arrived and we met them until just before we left (3 hours in total) there were 8 lounges that remained totally unoccupied but had stuff (a book and towel) for the duration. Only one couple came back after 2.5 hours (they had saved the large cushioned loungers) and thanked the person next to them for "saving" their chairs. And I did not see one crew member going around enforcing the 30 minute rule either. Perhaps if it was better enforced it would be less prevalent.

All of this reminds me of our Renaissance cruise many years ago. As the server was going around the Sky Lounge at sail away with trays of hors d'oeuvres, a group of 3 couples traveling together emptied the entire tray before they could be offered to anyone else. On the second go around, she walked by them again and they just took the whole tray out of her hands. The 3rd time she walked in the other direction.

Like the chair hogs, some people are inconsiderate and have no class. People do what they do if they think they can get away with it. The crew needs to do a better job of enforcing the cruise lines own rules. Only with behavior modification the hogging abate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I truly understand your concern. And you should be. Let me say this. If your December cruise is over Christmas and/or New Years' date=' you will be fine. In fact, lots of young folks with children. However, cruises are normally less expensive in earlier December, which makes them very attractive to the "cranky, senior, chair hog" entitled demographic. You can't get away from them, lol!! Even the elevators were a trip! Even some of the crew made polite comments about it to us, because they knew we weren't "one of them." because they were so demanding. LOL! I was able to get past it and just do our own thing, but my husband said never again a December cruise from a Florida port.[/quote']

A favorite pastime is to grab a comfortable chair by the Pursers Desk ( I refuse to call it customer relations) and listen to all the complaints and issues. Auto posted tips is a big one, especially with people from other countries who dont read the fine print of their cruise documentation. Complaints that the soup was cold is a good one too.

Celebrity should just take cards, write the time time on the and put them on saved chairs (Kind of like chalking tires). Anyone coming around could easily see if the chairs had been empty for more than 30 minutes and act accordingly.

Even better would be Celebrity staff coming round on a scheduled basis, say every hour, and remove the 'offending' towels, books, clips, stuffed animals or blow up dolls (Made me laugh out loud!:D)

Celebrity should just take cards, write the time time on the and put them on saved chairs (Kind of like chalking tires). Anyone coming around could easily see if the chairs had been empty for more than 30 minutes and act accordingly.

Even better would be Celebrity staff coming round on a scheduled basis, say every hour, and remove the 'offending' towels, books, clips, stuffed animals or blow up dolls (Made me laugh out loud!:D)

The cards with times are a good idea. Simple to do, easily visible. If somebody from the group were to come by and see the cards, they would remove them. If the cards are still there after 30 minutes, the staff should remove the stuff.

Going around once an hour to remove stuff doesn't work, because what happens if a couple had two seats and just left for 10 minutes to grab a plate of food from the buffet?

I remember when it was just towels and a book, then towels and a single flip flop under each upper corner of a chair (so one person can reserve two chairs). But the clips are the worst. Is the idea behind the clips that they clearly have some value and therefore people aren't as ready to dispose of them as they might a single flip flop or a magazine? One morning I saw a lady with a tote bag and an armful of towels. I watched her dutifully line up 10 chairs and put towels and a pair of fancy clips on each one. Every kind of animal imaginable (dolphins, alligators, flamingos, toucans, etc.) as well as plain colored ones.

The clips infuriate me. I wish cruise lines would take a harder stance against them. "Unattended clips will be recycled."