is ocean blue the only specialty that tells you what you are eating?

luckyinpa

pretty sure in cagneys, la cuchina they didnt bring me food and tell me what i'm eating

so why do they do it in ocean blue?

Why didn't you just ask them why when they did it? They are more likely to know why they do what they do then we are.

Why didn't you just ask them why when they did it? They are more likely to know why they do what they do then we are.

because many people on this forum are know it alls and know everything about every ship

plus would be rude to ask someone why they did their job that way

That is certainly what they do in Moderno.

We always ask for a menu to be left on the table so we can specifically ask for items on it. Remember that the fish dishes have to be requested at the very beginning as they are cooked fresh.

because many people on this forum are know it alls and know everything about every ship

Nobody here is going to know unless they asked at one time. No need to be rude...you can ask nicely. You'll find that they are happy to accommodate their paying customers.

Explain to me how it is rude to ask staff at a restaurant about your dining experience but it is not rude to call people on a forum "know it alls". Is it because one is in person and the other is as an anonymous internet poster? :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm going to make two assumptions/educated guesses with this post, so disregard if either is wrong.

Assumption 1: When OP dined at Ocean Blue, the server (or maybe even one of the chefs) explained the dishes in detail when they were served. OP noticed this was not done in the other specialty dining venues he or she dined in. OP was wondering the reason for this disparity.

Assumption/Guess 2: Ocean Blue is a newer/more upscale dining venue than Cagney's or La Cucina (it does have an upcharge over the other two on the SDP, after all) and is affiliated with a well known chef Geoffrey Zakarian. Therefore, it's quite possible that this is a little added bit of extra attention given just at this venue to help promote the idea that it is a premium experience. That's my best guess as to "why".

Assumption/Guess 2: Ocean Blue is a newer/more upscale dining venue than Cagney's or La Cucina (it does have an upcharge over the other two on the SDP, after all) and is affiliated with a well known chef Geoffrey Zakarian. Therefore, it's quite possible that this is a little added bit of extra attention given just at this venue to help promote the idea that it is a premium experience. That's my best guess as to "why".

I think this is probably the explanation, even though the affiliation with Zakarian is a thing of the past. They also did the same thing at the Chef's Table (also defunct), as part of the "fine dining" scenario.

It makes sense in a true "tasting menu" situation where you don't actually know ahead of time what you're being served, and you can take the opportunity to ask questions about the dish, because the server knows what's in it and how it's made. It makes less sense on board NCL…

I think it is a "fine dining" flourish, to announce the dish you ordered as it is being presented. For me, it's always helpful, since after a couple of drinks, I've usually forgotten what I ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think it is a "fine dining" flourish, to announce the dish you ordered as it is being presented. For me, it's always helpful, since after a couple of drinks, I've usually forgotten what I ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's exactly what it is. From the very beginning, servers reiterated each dish as it was presented to the diner and that was one of Geoffrey Zakarian's edicts.

Others were that if you brought in a glass of wine from another venue, it had to be poured into one of the Ocean Blue wine glasses. Also in many restaurants on board, if you're wearing black slacks, you are given a black napkin but not in Ocean Blue. No black napkins were allowed. Now that Geoffrey is out, these rules are more relaxed but they do still describe the food when served.

Tracy

That's exactly what it is. From the very beginning, servers reiterated each dish as it was presented to the diner and that was one of Geoffrey Zakarian's edicts.

Others were that if you brought in a glass of wine from another venue, it had to be poured into one of the Ocean Blue wine glasses. Also in many restaurants on board, if you're wearing black slacks, you are given a black napkin but not in Ocean Blue. No black napkins were allowed. Now that Geoffrey is out, these rules are more relaxed but they do still describe the food when served.

Tracy

why not any black napkins? much easier to hide the dirt :)

heck maybe they should color coordinate them. i had no idea.

and um bringing a drink in from another venue? thats allowed? really? wow i had no idea. i thought you had to order drinks from the venue you were in. i really never thought to bring my own drinks. next cruise ill definitely try this. will save the wait staff the long walk to get my soda and i'm sure they will appreciate this. especially in taste/savor where it takes 30 min to get a soda. thanks for the idea! i never would have thought of this.

and um bringing a drink in from another venue? thats allowed? really? wow i had no idea. i thought you had to order drinks from the venue you were in. i really never thought to bring my own drinks. next cruise ill definitely try this. will save the wait staff the long walk to get my soda and i'm sure they will appreciate this. especially in taste/savor where it takes 30 min to get a soda. thanks for the idea! i never would have thought of this.

The no black napkins was a Geoffrey thing. I'm on Getaway in a few weeks so will see if they've changed that. And yes, you can bring drinks from anywhere into a restaurant. I do it all the time.

Tracy

I have never waited 30 minutes for a drink. I surely hope you are joking/exaggerating. Maybe 5 minutes average, 10 at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been in many upscale restaurants where this is done. I've never eaten at Ocean Blue, but I assume it's the same concept. I don't consider any of the other specialty restaurants to be upscale, so maybe that is the difference.