American Airlines In MiA

Suite Travels

... US carriers are not anything like foreign carriers. Even on BA ffrom LHR- -AMS you get a full breakfast with champagne on a 45 minute flight and treated well.

US carriers are nothing but flying busses in all classes of service and our airports pale in comparison to Asia and Europe...

Apparently this is a surprise to you. If so, there are probably other folks out there that think they'll get a Ethiad/Cathy/etc premium experience on one of the 3 legacy USA airlines. They won't. So this thread is doing a service from the standpoint of correctly setting folks expectations.

To be fair, the US3 seem to be trying to improve their respective front-cabin experience somewhat. But I don't think they're going to try to compete with the Middle East/Asia Pacific airlines. Heck, UA is getting rid of their international first class cabins - no need to worry about ugly comparisons between UA first class and Etihads' Residence. Instead, they came up with "Basic economy"

You mightn't but the threads not about you and what you'd do - it's about the service AA provided to paying First class guests on this occasion

If he choose to splash the cash for two first class tickets for the flights it's not our business why he choose to do so - but it should be a matter for discussion as to whether the airline offers an acceptable level of service - shouldn't it?

As one who has to endure 13-14 hour trans Pacific flights I'd say an overnight 9 hour flight would definitely justify J or better if I could afford it - and if I did that I'd want to receive an acceptable level of service

I'm well aware that the post is "not about me." My point is simply that the OP spent an awful lot to fly up front for a 9 hour flight, and in the future, might want to do a little more research before booking. If he had, he'd be well aware that AA has a pretty crappy reputation for service these days, and he'd also realize he could book the premium cabin on another airline for a lot less money. As I acknowledged though, to each his own.

I'm well aware that the post is "not about me." My point is simply that the OP spent an awful lot to fly up front for a 9 hour flight, and in the future, might want to do a little more research before booking. If he had, he'd be well aware that AA has a pretty crappy reputation for service these days, and he'd also realize he could book the premium cabin on another airline for a lot less money. As I acknowledged though, to each his own.

Heck, as rich as he makes himself sound, I'm surprised that he doesn't own a G5 to fly down on.

From Miami wouldn't the flight only be less then 9 hours to Chile. Not a big deal for most people. :)

Just a little less than 9 hours - but add in the wait time after check in and I'd be looking for a better than economy class experience - not sure what your preferences are but I think your recent blogs you prefer to fly Business Class on the shorter trans Atlantic flights of around 76 hours duration so its not unreasonable to expect a person to want to fly Business or First for 9 hours

Miami, USA (MIA) to Santiago, Chile (SCL)

3+ flights per day, 8h 20m duration

Just a little less than 9 hours - but add in the wait time after check in and I'd be looking for a better than economy class experience - not sure what your preferences are but I think your recent blogs you prefer to fly Business Class on the shorter trans Atlantic flights of around 76 hours duration so its not unreasonable to expect a person to want to fly Business or First for 9 hours

Miami, USA (MIA) to Santiago, Chile (SCL)

3+ flights per day, 8h 20m duration

Yes, 9 hours. :)

Point was flying first or business class for that amount of time on American Airlines isn't like you are camping in the wilderness.

Yes, 9 hours. :)

Point was flying first or business class for that amount of time on American Airlines isn't like you are camping in the wilderness.

Oh but Keith, we have truly camped in the wilderness. Let's see...I guess nine trips to Africa in a tented camp doesn't count.

For those of you who do not know us it is none of your business how we spend our money on travel. When we pay for a product such as air or cruises we expect a certain level of service.

The fares you see on the computer are not what I pay as I have direct access to Sabre plus an employee discount positive space in any class of service. It's not free but a dam good deal. Having worked as cabin crew and in management for 26 years and in real estate I paid my dues and will spend my money as I see fit.

AA has gone downhill in service over the years since Bob Crandall left and the rotating CEO door still spins. Doug Parker the current CEO does not give a crap about the paying customer or service and he certainly does not care about the internal customer which would be the employees.

You know coming from nothing to something through hard work and not a trust fund baby was hard and I am sure many of you succeeded the same way but please don't tell me how to spend my hard earned dollars or I paid too much. I don't count your money so please don't count mine.

My view of camping is a sleeping bag, small tent, marshmallows and hot dogs not some of those luxurious tent sites in Africa. I don't think that flying in coach/business class or first class is what I would call roughing it. :)

Keith

Keith, really you eating marshmallows and hotdogs and a sleeping bag? Seriously? The next thing you will tell me how you roughed it eating two French Fries. Keith we know you have a good life and will not be roughing it in coach or even a modest tented camp in Africa.:eek:

prefer to fly Business Class on the shorter trans Atlantic flights of around 76 hours duration so its not unreasonable to expect a person to want to fly Business or First for 9 hours

I, too, prefer to fly business on "short" flights to Europe, but no way would I spend $10k to do so. We have one trip pending where flights are showing for about $5K and I haven't even pulled the trigger on that yet.

For those of you who do not know us it is none of your business how we spend our money on travel. When we pay for a product such as air or cruises we expect a certain level of service.

You're right- we don't get to tell you how to spend your money. I think some of us are just a little shocked that you would think $10K to be a good value for a flight just under 9 hours. I get wanting to fly in first (I do too), I get that you expect a certain level of service in first (I do too), and were disappointed when reality didn't live up to your expectations. Just a little puzzled that one would think that particular ticket was a good value in the first place. But you thought it was worth it, so that's that.

Miles,

I agree with your opinion of how bad service is on AA. We don't usually fly First Class, so I was excited to fly AA in First cross country on our way to the Crystal World Cruise. What a disappointment! The only thing that was a true benefit was the size of the seats. The plane was filthy, and DH thought it was an old US Air plane. The center console was filthy and sticky, and when I requested something to clean it with, the FA brought a hand wipe. Her service was certainly less than stellar, she spent the entire flight wrapped in a blanket, which she didn't remove even while serving the meals. It was a very poor experience.

The return flight was First Class on United, which was quite a bit better.

I'm sorry about your experience, Miles, and find it incredible that posters can comment on the amount of money you spent on the tickets. My mother taught me as a child, that it is rude to remark on how someone chose to spend their money.

I know your experience on Crystal will be the perfect antidote to poor food and service . Enjoy!

Ricki

The fares you see on the computer are not what I pay as I have direct access to Sabre plus an employee discount positive space in any class of service. It's not free but a dam good deal. Having worked as cabin crew and in management for 26 years and in real estate I paid my dues and will spend my money as I see fit.

Nobody cares how you spend your money, how you earned it, or how much you have. You were the one who made sure to multiple post you spent $10,000 on the flight which makes NO sense since the above is now your claim???

Nobody cares how you spend your money, how you earned it, or how much you have. You were the one who made sure to multiple post you spent $10,000 on the flight which makes NO sense since the above is now your claim???

Thanks, you saved me from having to post this!!!

Thanks, you saved me from having to post this!!!

Some of you have never priced out a Biz Class Fare or F and what you are not getting it does cost 5K one way for two people but I get it for less positive space. I assume most of you who have commented do not fly J or F. I will pay or use my AMEX miles and Skyward miles on Emirates yes with a bar and shower...you don't need a ton of money to this and frankly it is certainly none of anyone's business.

Actually, SW has great customer service and knows how to treat people. Most of you have never been to Dubai or Sydney and have been in a EK lounge or a QF lounge or flown in their premium class.

We are currently on the Crystal Serenity and enjoying the stellar service that we paid for and everybody is treated equally.

Miles

I think you might be surprised by the number of us on here who routinely pay for F and J longhaul...

Most of you have never been to Dubai or Sydney and have been in a EK lounge or a QF lounge or flown in their premium class.

I have done all of these...and had done by the age of 25 on my own dime. You're not that special ;)

Some of you have never priced out a Biz Class Fare or F and what you are not getting it does cost 5K one way for two people but I get it for less positive space.

Well maybe if you hadn't said in the first post:

"We are paying full fare 20k plus for this trip to Santiago and back from BA to MIA at the end of this cruise"

then people who were commenting on the price would be less confused! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry about your experience, Miles, and find it incredible that posters can comment on the amount of money you spent on the tickets. My mother taught me as a child, that it is rude to remark on how someone chose to spend their money

And, my mother taught me it was rude to discuss how much you spent for something.

Yet, OP did, and once that door opened, any comments are "fare" game. I can only say, spending $20,000 for two tickets for this flight is crazy. And, if you have a discount, as you now add, you know that's not what you paid anyway.

Miles,

find it incredible that posters can comment on the amount of money you spent on the tickets. My mother taught me as a child, that it is rude to remark on how someone chose to spend their money.

He voluntarily shared how much he spent. That kind of opens it up for discussion.

Some of you have never priced out a Biz Class Fare or F and what you are not getting it does cost 5K one way for two people but I get it for less positive space. I assume most of you who have commented do not fly J or F. I will pay or use my AMEX miles and Skyward miles on Emirates yes with a bar and shower...you don't need a ton of money to this and frankly it is certainly none of anyone's business.

Actually, SW has great customer service and knows how to treat people. Most of you have never been to Dubai or Sydney and have been in a EK lounge or a QF lounge or flown in their premium class.

We are currently on the Crystal Serenity and enjoying the stellar service that we paid for and everybody is treated equally.

Miles

Actually many of us on here DO price out and fly F and J. And because of that we can say that you paid WAY to much for your trip to South America riding up front. You say what you paid is none of our business....yet it was YOU that insisted on telling us how much you spent. (like we are all supposed to be impressed or something).

As far as the SW comment...(assuming you are talking about SouthWest. But our course as some one with you vast airline knowledge I don't need to tell you that their airline code is WN not SW :rolleyes: ) I don't really know what it has to do with anything as they DON'T even have a biz/first class product and you would be stuck in the back with the rest of us commoners. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't post much on the air forum but was perusing today.........this thread has me dumbfounded........:eek:

I just booked my first cruise on Silverseas and booked the flight with them too.....upgraded myself on a special up to

Business Class on AA......flying from Miami to Barcelona.......the seats/information/pictures look lovely...I have flown

quite a few times over the years on various airlines but this is my first Business class...figured I would treat myself

for the 9 hour flight:D..........I guess I will find out first hand how bad or good the experience will be......In my opinion,

I think I will be just fine......I normally fly coach so this will definitely give me more room:D....

Oh I just flew into Miami earlier in February......the airport is an airport (to me)......got there to board my cruiseship.......

and then got me there to fly home;)