American Airlines In MiA

Suite Travels

Lois, you will be just fine.

I suspect you will have a terrific experience and it's not like you will be on the flight for days. :)

Enjoy the flight and of course the cruise :)

Keith

Hi Keith, thank you:)

I would like to put in a good word for the main terminals in MIA. When we arrived there on Superbowl Sunday from Barcelona, the terminal for our next flight was clean, had all sports on all tvs and had many decent food choices including a good Latin American Cafeteria outlet. That was not the case in whatever terminal we were in 3 years ago. Now I would go through MIA again if necessary.

I was sorry to hear AA first was so bad. When we took our one and only first class trip on AA to China in 2007, the cabin was clean and the food fine and the lounge in DFW good though crowded and nothing compared to their lounge in Tokyo. It made me hope to travel 1st class again someday. However I will say that we traveled on family points so did not pay an amount that would make us critical. OTOH, our 2015 business class flights on Virgin Australia were even better and the lounges starting in LAX all very good (On return flight, we were directed to an Emirates lounge which was really great). So I think there is a lot to be said for taking non US airlines some of the time. We managed to get a little discount on those tickets too. Most of us retirees try not to pay full fare.

I have flown

quite a few times over the years on various airlines but this is my first Business class...

If you've only ever flown economy then you'll almost certainly enjoy the experience. The additional room and space is the number one reason why I pay for premium cabin travel.

My opinion is that people are disappointed because they expect way too much from premium cabin experience and get disappointed when it doesn't come true, or that familiarity breeds contempt. I fly on average about once per week in premium cabins, either domestically or internationally and when you've done the same flight 30 or 40 times you notice small differences or cabin crew not following premium cabin service manual.

There is no question that there are several airlines that provide a nicer flying experience then USA based airlines. There is also no question that many airline lounges are nicer then USA based airline club lounges. I don't think this is anything new and has been like this for many years.

What I can say based on my own experience is that the last 12 to 18 months I am seeing that American Airlines is doing quite a bit to upgrade the experience. Most of our flights have been a lot better. This includes:

Newer aircraft.

A more positive attitude on the part of Flight Attendants.

Better food.

More amenities such as more choices of movies to watch and recent ones too.

They are redoing club lounges in selected airports including JFK, and DFW.

Food is better then several years of pretzels and maybe an apple. More food choices and the

newer lounges will offer some greater perks for those flying international in Business and First Class.

No, it's not like it was in the old days.

We can blame that on many things from deregulation in the USA, to fuel costs of up until the last couple of years,

to competition from other airlines including no frills airlines to the added cost of security.

Thankfully the airlines are making money and that is key.

For me when I choose my flights my priorities are safety and convenience. As to convenience if the price is similar and I can get a flight that involve few if any stops and avoids changing planes those are my priorities. Certainly I look at cost.

While it's nice to fly airlines with lots of other perks that's just not in the top priorities for us as I view flights as transportation and it's not like we are spending days on the flight and that is our vacation.

Once again take 100 people on the same flight and you'll probably have many different views on all of this.

As someone who has flown American regularly for many (too many) years I am glad to see that it is now on the upswing. I hope that continues.

As to amenities, my priority is the cruise we are taking and the hotel we are staying at.

Keith

A couple of totally anecdotal observations:

1. We flew AA Business Class from DFW-PEK on a 787 and HNK-DFW on a 777, in May and their service was as good as any foreign carriers I've flown in the current era. The 787 was better than the 777.

2. We recently flew Egypt Air, in Business Class, on two legs and it was the worst BC service I have ever experienced in my life. We have received better service flying Economy with other carriers than we got from Egypt Air in Business. Just a couple of small examples; I got up from my seat and assisted an elderly woman place her (perhaps to heavy) carry-ons in the overhead bin, while the Egypt Air attendant watch totally uncaring and had refused to help before I stepped in. The only water they would serve (in BC) was in these tiny glasses which more represented shot glasses than glasses.

3. Traditional AA 1st Class, Business Class, and to a lesser degree even Economy can provide very good service. However, those international flights, aircrafts, and accompanying crew that came from US Airways are an embarrassment to the AA name. If one is flying on one of those US Air routes on the old Airbus A330-333 series planes, I'd personally recommend researching an alternative route. The concept of service was/is foreign to US Air, and thus their demise. Unfortunately, that attitude and level of service has been allowed to continue with the new consolidated airlines. Those routes with AA aircraft and AA crew provide and entirely different experience that those assumed flights from USAir. Unfortunately, I don't see a positive reconciliation of these problems going forward. As an elite AA flyer, I'm extremely worried that current AA mgt is not only allowing, but striving for, a race to the bottom.

1. We flew AA Business Class from DFW-PEK on a 787 and HNK-DFW on a 777, in May and their service was as good as any foreign carriers I've flown in the current era. The 787 was better than the 777.

Didn't know that AA was flying 777s from Hinchinbrook.

2. We recently flew Egypt Air, in Business Class, on two legs and it was the worst BC service I have ever experienced in my life. We have received better service flying Economy with other carriers than we got from Egypt Air in Business. Just a couple of small examples; I got up from my seat and assisted an elderly woman place her (perhaps to heavy) carry-ons in the overhead bin, while the Egypt Air attendant watch totally uncaring and had refused to help before I stepped in. The only water they would serve (in BC) was in these tiny glasses which more represented shot glasses than glasses.
You might be interested to know that on many airlines, it is not the duty of the FAs to stow luggage in the overhead or to assist passengers to do so. Here's a LINK to the UA FA website spelling this out (and yes, this is UA, but many airlines are in a similar situation):

Since the mid-1970’s, the company and Union have shared a mutual understanding of a Flight Attendant’s responsibility regarding the carrying and stowage of passenger cabin baggage and personal articles on Company aircraft.. That is, to assist passengers in stowing properly sized cabin carry-on baggage and personal articles. Within the context of assisting, “the company does not require a Flight Attendant to carry or lift acceptable passenger cabin baggage and personal articles which are of a size or weight which would require her to seek assistance (emphasis added).....

and

However, in recognition of our vital role in evacuating the aircraft in an emergency and in the interest of avoidance of occupational injuries, there is no disagreement with management that lifting a passenger’s carry-on baggage into an overhead bin is not a Flight Attendant responsibility most especially when the weight of the item exceeds the ability of the Flight Attendant in question.

FlyerTalker;

Interesting read on the flight attendant issue. I, however, still find it to be paramount of bad service, when a male flight attendant refuses to help an old lady that stands maybe 5 feet tall put her 20 pound carry on into the overhead bin. In economy it would be poor service, in business class it constituted horrendous service. Hiding behind made up union rules doesn't alter the situation. I was more than happy to help the Lady. Egypt Air's service was bad, along with the food, on a multiple on levels on both flights I had on them. Never again.

I will say the comical portion of the trip was the fact that Egypt Air goes to great lengths to say they don't serve alcohol, which they don't. However, at least in Business Class, once we got airborne, many of the passengers where pulling out their own bottles of liquor, wine and beer they had obtained past security ,while the attendants were serving them tonic water, club soda, and bloody mary mix! :p Wish I had known that before that 10.5 hour flight between JFK and CAI! LOL!

I, however, still find it to be paramount of bad service, when a male flight attendant refuses to help an old lady that stands maybe 5 feet tall put her 20 pound carry on into the overhead bin. In economy it would be poor service, in business class it constituted horrendous service. Hiding behind made up union rules doesn't alter the situation.
These aren't necessarily union rules, made-up or otherwise. The situation will be different from airline to airline, but on some airlines it is the company that forbids the cabin crew from putting bags into overheads. The horrendous and sometimes crippling back injuries that can result are very costly; cabin crew are cabin crew, not baggage handlers.

FlyerTalker;

Interesting read on the flight attendant issue. I, however, still find it to be paramount of bad service, when a male flight attendant refuses to help an old lady that stands maybe 5 feet tall put her 20 pound carry on into the overhead bin. In economy it would be poor service, in business class it constituted horrendous service. Hiding behind made up union rules doesn't alter the situation. I was more than happy to help the Lady.

FAs on AA haven't assisted with lifting luggage for years. BA allows 50 pounds in the carryon, but you have to be able to lift it yourself. I don't find it poor service for the FA not to help somebody who packed beyond her capability to stow. If I pack to the point where I can't lift the bag over my head, I take something out.

Now, on JAL in FC, the FA grabbed my bag out of my hands and insisted on putting it in the overhead herself. But they are trained to do everything except chew our food for us, lol.

FlyerTalker;

I, however, still find it to be paramount of bad service, when a male flight attendant refuses to help an old lady that stands maybe 5 feet tall put her 20 pound carry on into the overhead bin. In economy it would be poor service, in business class it constituted horrendous service. Hiding behind made up union rules doesn't alter the situation. quote]

While many FA's voluntarily assist pax with luggage, most are not required to and with good reason. Have you seen the size and amount of crap that people carry on with them? If the FA's job description including helping with these, most airlines would be short staffed because half their FA's would be out on workers comp issues, dealing with injured backs.

You might also be interested in knowing that on many airlines, the FA's don't even start getting paid until the door closes and/or the plane pushes back from the gate. The time spent welcoming and sometimes assisting pax with during boarding? That's all off the clock.

You might also be interested in knowing that on many airlines, the FA's don't even start getting paid until the door closes and/or the plane pushes back from the gate. The time spent welcoming and sometimes assisting pax with during boarding? That's all off the clock.

Not just greeting, not paid for the FAA mandated safety equipment check, or setting up the Galley to name a few other things that happen before a pax even scans a boarding pass let alone the door closes and the pay clock starts.

They do not have to assist with overhead luggage, it is nice when some do.

I worked for TWA for many years and AA bought us and the service levels at AA were not par to our standards at all. Pan Am and TWA were really a first class outfit with superior service on international flights.

Even if you were flying on FF miles or rewards ... you earned it and should receive the same level of service and quality. Sorry, US carriers are not anything like foreign carriers. Even on BA ffrom LHR- -AMS you get a full breakfast with champagne on a 45 minute flight and treated well.

US carriers are nothing but flying busses in all classes of service and our airports pale in comparison to Asia and Europe. Two of the best lounges in the world are Emirates and Qantas they are amazing lounges and the airports don't feel like airports.

Some of you think we overpaid but my days of flying economy are over with. Biz class and first are fine. Now you TA's go fare our ticket for two on our routing on AA.Com and the price is higher. We use a ticket consolidator which reduces the prices 1/3.

TWA and PAA have been acquired and/or out of business for years. To compare these international carriers whose glamour years were in the 60's and 70's, to today's airlines' service is comparing apples and oranges. Deregulation played a major part in the change, as well as other issues already mentioned here. BTW, I worked for both airlines, in the same capacity as you, plus a third airline, for 33 years, so I do have some hands on experience, as do the frequent flyers posting here. After reading your posts, I would agree with you that you are picky. That is your choice, but it sets you up to be continually disappointed.

FlyerTalker;

Interesting read on the flight attendant issue. I, however, still find it to be paramount of bad service, when a male flight attendant refuses to help an old lady that stands maybe 5 feet tall put her 20 pound carry on into the overhead bin. In economy it would be poor service, in business class it constituted horrendous service. Hiding behind made up union rules doesn't alter the situation. I was more than happy to help the Lady. Egypt Air's service was bad, along with the food, on a multiple on levels on both flights I had on them. Never again.

I will say the comical portion of the trip was the fact that Egypt Air goes to great lengths to say they don't serve alcohol, which they don't. However, at least in Business Class, once we got airborne, many of the passengers where pulling out their own bottles of liquor, wine and beer they had obtained past security ,while the attendants were serving them tonic water, club soda, and bloody mary mix! :p Wish I had known that before that 10.5 hour flight between JFK and CAI! LOL!

Sadly, you don't understand what other posters have told you. If work rules tell us not to perform a certain task, and we go ahead and perform it anyway, injuring ourselves in the process, we are not able to be reimbursed for medical care associated with those injuries. For all you know, that male flight attendant may have a bad back due to a previous OTJ injury. I would tell my passengers, as graciously as possible, that if the bag was too heavy for them, it was too heavy for me. Work rules are not arbitrary, nor are they made up. They are there for a good reason, even if you don't realize it.