New rccl fee for route deviation

NJ&Ozzie

Hi,

There's a new fee from RCCL. Last year we embarked in San Juan, PR on day 3 of a TA cruise starting in Tampa (Brilliance). Got permission, no problem.

This year, wanting to do the same thing. Now there's a fee of $65 per booking to do this.

So not only do we lose three days of our cruise (no discount either), but now have to pay for the service of boarding later.

One more papercut.

NJ

Hi,

There's a new fee from RCCL. Last year we embarked in San Juan, PR on day 3 of a TA cruise starting in Tampa (Brilliance). Got permission, no problem.

This year, wanting to do the same thing. Now there's a fee of $65 per booking to do this.

So not only do we lose three days of our cruise (no discount either), but now have to pay for the service of boarding later.

One more papercut.

NJ

We were on that Brilliance TA.....

Everybody was wondering where you guys were???

I'm glad to hear that you're being charged for the inconvenience that you're creating. $65 seems far too little to me.

Inconveniencing who? I am sure any inconvenience to staff is more than offset by three days of meals and service that Royal saves.

We were on the Brilliance TA last year and met NJ & Ozzie on board. They are fine people. They live in San Juan so it is silly for them to fly someplace else to embark. I think the fact that they have instituted a fee for this stinks!

I wonder if maybe the port and/or CBP are charging them a fee for processing you through the port in a different way to how they are processing all the visitors. There has to be a different procedure for that, I'm sure.

Hi,

One more papercut.

NJ

NJ, sorry to hear this is happening to you. If I had to pay the fee I think I'd fly to Tampa even if it cost more, espically if I was missing three days of the cruise.

Hi,

One more papercut.

NJ

Not really sure of why you are losing 3 days of your cruise. You didn't want those 3 days so you didn't lose them. Like going to the movies. You did not want to see the first 10 minutes so you come 10 minutes late. Same price but you chose to miss the beginning. Cruises are not prorated items, just like a movie is not prorated. You can't pick and chose, and expect the cruise line to allow it to happen.

The chose to board late, comes at a cost. You need to be checked in and there are fees to it. RCCL decided to pass those fees onto you. Many plates of food get wasted on a ship and with you missing, your food was most likely wasted in the process of trying to feed the masses. They, meaning RCCL or any cruise line, did not save money because you weren't there. I forget the exact amount, but the per person amount daily for food, is much lower than you think it is. For 3 days, you did not save them $65.00. You are thinking restaurant cost, but I can assure you, I can eat for less than $65.00 for 2 people in 3 days. The cruise line can do better than me.

So you fee is for special treatment at another pier. It sounds resonable and justifiable. Not to mention, you are the first person I know of that has ever mentioned that this can be done.

Hi,

One more papercut.

NJ

That $65 sure beats the cost of airfare from SJU to Tampa.:D

Personally, I don't think I'd ever consider doing this. What if the ship had to skip SJ for weather, mechanical, or other reasons? I know it's not that likely, but I'd still be a bit OCD about it.

I understand you are a bit irked by the fee, but it doesn't seem like it is that big of a deal considering they have to go out of their way to process you in. They could just say no.

Not really sure of why you are losing 3 days of your cruise. You didn't want those 3 days so you didn't lose them. Like going to the movies. You did not want to see the first 10 minutes so you come 10 minutes late. Same price but you chose to miss the beginning. Cruises are not prorated items, just like a movie is not prorated. You can't pick and chose, and expect the cruise line to allow it to happen.

The chose to board late, comes at a cost. You need to be checked in and there are fees to it. RCCL decided to pass those fees onto you. Many plates of food get wasted on a ship and with you missing, your food was most likely wasted in the process of trying to feed the masses. They, meaning RCCL or any cruise line, did not save money because you weren't there. I forget the exact amount, but the per person amount daily for food, is much lower than you think it is. For 3 days, you did not save them $65.00. You are thinking restaurant cost, but I can assure you, I can eat for less than $65.00 for 2 people in 3 days. The cruise line can do better than me.

So you fee is for special treatment at another pier. It sounds resonable and justifiable. Not to mention, you are the first person I know of that has ever mentioned that this can be done.

Thanks for your take on this issue. Actually quite a few people board/disembark at different ports during a cruise. People have been doing this for years. There was never a charge before. Apparently it began January 30th with little to no grace time. I would imagine they will be charging people to get off early too.

There were 25 of us boarding Brilliance in SJU last time. And to be honest, it was not the smoothest process. The guest services rep. just couldn't seem to get our sea pass cards right. And also during the cruise, we kept missing invitations, etc. because they didn't put us on the manifest correctly. It was like we did not exist. Not sure you would call this special treatment. In fact, we almost missed the cruise as RCCL sent us to the wrong Pier.

Yes, it is our choice to board in SJU instead of Tampa. We pay the full fare. RCCL has just found another way to make money. The question is, whey would they want to discourage people from getting on at different ports and lose potential business?

NJ

Yes, it is our choice to board in SJU instead of Tampa. We pay the full fare. RCCL has just found another way to make money. The question is, whey would they want to discourage people from getting on at different ports and lose potential business?

NJ

This $65 could be a fee that is being assessed by the Port of SJU and not RCI.

The question is, whey would they want to discourage people from getting on at different ports and lose potential business?

NJ

Personally I do not see a small fee of $65 per reservation (that is most likely being charged by the port and simply passed along) discouraging anyone especially when that person is either saving some significant money on airfare or has other personal reasons that far outweigh the $65 fee.

While it is an extra fee that didn't used to be there I would bet that they will not lose a single customer over this.

I hope not. That probably happens more often on TAs and there should be no cost to RCI to implement (compared to downline embarkation)..

Yes, there are always people who for various reasons need to embark/disembark at other ports. Not confirmed yet but it would reason that RCCL will charge fee for early departure as well. Why wouldn't they?

Of course, I don't whole know the process for downline embarkation but it seemed pretty straightforward. Guest services came to meet us outside ship to give give us sea pass cards, went to guest services to submit credit card info. That was it.

And to confirm, this is a fee from RCCL, NOT the SJ cruise port authorities.

NJ

Yes, there are always people who for various reasons need to embark/disembark at other ports. Not confirmed yet but it would reason that RCCL will charge fee for early departure as well. Why wouldn't they?

Of course, I don't whole know the process for downline embarkation but it seemed pretty straightforward. Guest services came to meet us outside ship to give give us sea pass cards, went to guest services to submit credit card info. That was it.

And to confirm, this is a fee from RCCL, NOT the SJ cruise port authorities.

NJ

Curious, how do you know it's not a pass thru fee?

Curious, how do you know it's not a pass thru fee?

I called RCCL when my agent advised of the fee. They are charging this, not the cruise port.

RCCL said it was implemented January 30th. Personally, I did not see this noted anywhere. Usually there is a grace period when something new implemented.

Not sure of RCCL thinking. But perhaps there are enough people affected by this that they can make some money by implementing a new fee.

I only started this thread to advise people of change.

NJ

Inconveniencing who? I am sure any inconvenience to staff is more than offset by three days of meals and service that Royal saves.

We were on the Brilliance TA last year and met NJ & Ozzie on board. They are fine people. They live in San Juan so it is silly for them to fly someplace else to embark. I think the fact that they have instituted a fee for this stinks!

Disagree.

They are not going to adjust their very large batches of food any for just a couple of people, especially in buffet areas where they make big trays and just keep sending them out. They might even end up with more left overs.

They are not going to be able to cut out any stateroom attendants but somebody will end up getting less tips.

If people on board cost the company money, they wouldn't be running any kind of business, now would they?

Hi,

One more papercut.

NJ

SJ is unique. If the Brilliance docks in Old San Juan, as it normally would for a port stop, there are no terminal facilities. No separate security x-ray, and no check-in facilities.

I agree, it must be an RCI fee, because you have already paid port fees. But they will need to bring your SeaPass cards from the ship's origination port, and try to duplicate a check-in process in OSJ with only the ship's facilities. I think $65 is reasonable. Someone thought of the costs to accomplish this.

NJ, I am sorry for the lack of empathy and sympathy you are getting here.

I see your point and agree that this is one more fee that Royal Caribbean is not REQUIRED to impose, but they have seized on another opportunity to charge for something.

SJ is unique. If the Brilliance docks in Old San Juan, as it normally would for a port stop, there are no terminal facilities. No separate security x-ray, and no check-in facilities.

I agree, it must be an RCI fee, because you have already paid port fees. But they will need to bring your SeaPass cards from the ship's origination port, and try to duplicate a check-in process in OSJ with only the ship's facilities. I think $65 is reasonable. Someone thought of the costs to accomplish this.

There is a terminal facility at the dock in Old San Juan, but RCI never docks there. They always dock at the newer dock.

Back in 1997 when Monarch sailed out of San Juan that is where embarkation took place, at the terminal in Old San Juan.