Princess Cruises to Offer Favourite U.K. Foods on Southampton-Based Crown Princess

LauraS

Is Marmite really a UK food I always thought of it as Australian. Sunday "lunch" is a definite yes as is Cottage Pie (but no carrots in it as they jus shouldn't be there). It'll be great to have black pudding for breakfast and who knows it may spread to non-UK sailings. Afternoon tea is already available so nothing new there. Don't forget PG Tips for a tea that has to be there (sorry Twinings). It'll be great to have Branston and HP on board as the last time I was at the Crown Grill apparently there wasn't any brown sauce to be found anywhere

They had all that on the Emerald last summer, black pudding etc.

I think Princess are chasing the UK customer at the moment. Princess UK prices are far cheaper than the US prices.

But did they have real Stilton cheese (preferably from Long Clawson!!) and also Melton Mowbray pork pies.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for Lardy Cake!!

They had all that on the Emerald last summer, black pudding etc.

I think Princess are chasing the UK customer at the moment. Princess UK prices are far cheaper than the US prices.

It maybe cheaper to cruise the UK when I the UK but cruises elsewhere are far ccheaper in North America. Talking from experience when I lived in Canada

It maybe cheaper to cruise the UK when I the UK but cruises elsewhere are far ccheaper in North America. Talking from experience when I lived in Canada

No, cruise are cheaper to book in the U.K. Than the USA. Quite the reverse from a few years ago.

They do this sort of garbage when based in Australia and it is terrible. It no longer feels like that home away from home feeling when you are so used to Princess ships only to have your favourite foods removed from the menu permanently because they are trying to appease the local market. For example the Baked New York Cheesecake is not an option when cruising in Australia and this is replaced by a rather crappy pavlova. As an Australian myself I personally think the pavlova is s*** and miss the Cheesecake. It is really disappointing when this happens because many other menu options disappear and the whole drink menu is changed almost entirely. If you have a favourite food or drink that you like on Princes then forget it when the ship is based in Australia. Now it seems it is trying to go that way when based in the UK as well.

The lack of a coffeemaker/kettle has been an annoyance for years on Princess. When I was on the Norwegian Breakaway, there was a coffeemaker in the cabin.

I hope also Princess realizes many Americans will be on board and prefer crisp bacon at the buffet ... it's not crisp unless it will stand out horizontally and not dr--... but perhaps I've said enough.

The lack of a coffeemaker/kettle has been an annoyance for years on Princess. When I was on the Norwegian Breakaway, there was a coffeemaker in the cabin.

On NCL it depends on the level of stateroom you booked as does the type of coffeemaker. Not all have one.

The 4 princess cruises I've been on have had the same menu, sure 3 where from Australia though 1 was from Beijing. I find as a rule, "Ask and you shall receive" seem to work great on princess, I'll also say that my only gripe is that the coffee is not good, even the coffee card coffee and I have no doubt my opinion is based off the milk. That's a small gripe, I love the set dinner arrangements and enjoy the food, If I'm holiday why care about a desert when there's endless options for desserts all day long.

Is Marmite really a UK food I always thought of it as Australian. Sunday "lunch" is a definite yes as is Cottage Pie (but no carrots in it as they jus shouldn't be there). It'll be great to have black pudding for breakfast and who knows it may spread to non-UK sailings. Afternoon tea is already available so nothing new there. Don't forget PG Tips for a tea that has to be there (sorry Twinings). It'll be great to have Branston and HP on board as the last time I was at the Crown Grill apparently there wasn't any brown sauce to be found anywhere

Marmite is of course British, Vegemite is Australian and Marvegemite ( I am not kidding) is Italian and is on some Princess ships as well as the two main brands.

Those 3 are all brewers yeast based vegetarian,

Bovril is beef based, as in you boil down dead cows to make it and I never saw that on Princess.

Both the Twinings and Bigelow English Breakfast or teatime teabags found on board Princess ships seem to be very acceptable to me, though I do use 2 bags per teeny Princess mug.

I have always found both HP and A1 sauce on all Princess ships.

Some Princess ships have proper mint sauce as well as the mint jelly.

Black pudding was on Pacific Princess last month as usual but they don't sizzle it enough, and then they kept it hot in melted butter. Yuck.

English bangers were also often available but why do they cut them up in little pieces?

And Kippers were sometimes available in the buffet, but again why do they cut them up into little pieces and then keep them hot in milk which drains all the smoky flavor out of them?

Also the English bacon is kept hot in water, takes all the flavor out and its soggy.

No use talking to galley chefs, they don't have any idea about how these food items should be presented, they just do what they have been told to by head office, who also know nothing about it.

--Kippers were sometimes available in the buffet, but again why do they cut them up into little pieces and then keep them hot in milk which drains all the smoky flavor out of them?

LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

Something else I won't be able to eat then, as I am Lactose Intolerant, which I have been for just 7 years.

I am rapidly becoming aware that there is a tendency for British chefs to put butter/ cream/ cheese/ milk into almost EVERY food to add flavour!

Mediterranean chefs cook in oil which is much more healthy.

LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.

Something else I won't be able to eat then, as I am Lactose Intolerant, which I have been for just 7 years.

I am rapidly becoming aware that there is a tendency for British chefs to put butter/ cream/ cheese/ milk into almost EVERY food to add flavour!

Mediterranean chefs cook in oil which is much more healthy.

Maybe you should book MSC cruises in future then? Although I haven't seen a British chef on Princess for years now. Indians seem to be taking over, and Chinese, and of course Filipino, and depending on itinerary Serbs.

Wow there is no pleasing some of you!

They already had HP the last cruise I took on the Caribbean Princess - personally quite glad to have it there :)

UK Bacon far better than that long thing cold stuff but really, chose which you prefer.

Would prefer to see a bit of Tetley rather than Twinnings. I don't know anyone in the UK who drinks Twinnings by choice! :cool:

Choices... choice is good!!!