Will I get a "bad" cabin if I score an upgrade to a mini suite ?

The Other Tom

I just got an offer to bid on upgrades (Cruise on Epic this spring). I can't afford the price of the Haven (min bid $500 pp) so I'm thinking about a mini suite. I don't want to wind up with a cabin next to the elevators or above or below a noisy area. So, for those with experience with upgrades, what should I do ?

I don't want to wind up with a cabin next to the elevators or above or below a noisy area. So, for those with experience with upgrades, what should I do ?

1) Upgrade yourself at the best available current rate where you get to choose the cabin location.

2) Make sure the Perks would be the same as your original booking.

3) Don't book a Guarantee.

3) Don't book a Guarantee.

In other words, don't participate in the Upgrade Advantage program at all, because those cabins are only offered on a GTY basis. "If you purchase an Upgrade, Norwegian Cruise Line cannot guarantee a specific cabin number assignment within the upgraded category. Your cabin number will depend on space availability."

I don't think looking at current cabin availability is a good way to guess which cabin you might be assigned, because those are cabins that they are still hoping to sell to new customers. The cabin that you will eventually get as a guarantee/upgrade may already be out of inventory, for example because someone is currently booked in it (but about to get upgraded).

I did an upgrade from an OV to a Spa Mini Suite last summer (before the bid process), and it was GREAT! I think that you should go for it!

A Spa Mini would be great and worth the gamble but the Op is bidding on just a regular mini.

That's why I liked the old upsell. You could research the new cabin location.

If you wouldn't be happy in a less than prime spot, I wouldn't do it. It's too risky to ruin your vacation.

Look at it this way: You're saving money by not upgrading! Get a massage.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just got an offer to bid on upgrades (Cruise on Epic this spring). I can't afford the price of the Haven (min bid $500 pp) so I'm thinking about a mini suite. I don't want to wind up with a cabin next to the elevators or above or below a noisy area. So, for those with experience with upgrades, what should I do ?

Keep in mind that the extra space in a mini suite is in the bathroom. Compare the floor plans with cabin you now have.

While I would never try to upsell into an unknown mini suite on Dawn or Jewel class, the Epic has a majority of them in good locations. They are all near the elevators, but that doesn't really bother me. The only few questionable ones to me are on deck 14 under the buffet. I'd do a mock booking and see if those make up a high percentage of what is still available and base my decision off of that.

• 1 year later...
what if I don't like the cabin they want to give me in the upgrade can I cancel my up-grade and keep the cabin I have now?

No.

Your credit card is charged when the bid is accepted. That means before you are told your new cabin.

This is why I haven’t bid on mini suite. We want to make sure our daughter has the overhead pull down bed. We didn’t feel the sofa being used as a bed was comfortable and it also took away the sofa space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the whole mini suite thing was super confusing to me originally.

I bid for one couple years ago, not accepted

a slightly bigger bathroom doesn't constitute a "mini suite" to me. I'd have been ticked paying more for that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Me too that’s the only difference, fancier bathroom. But at $30pp extra for upgrade bid I was thinking that may have been OK.

I'm scared to do an upgrade bid for the same reasons. I'm currently a midship inside. I think a higher floor might be nice. But I'd bid the minimum on a balcony, so I'm unlikely to get it, plus may not be happy if I get a noisy location, or one that is not midship. I likely won't bid. Oh well.

This is why I haven’t bid on mini suite. We want to make sure our daughter has the overhead pull down bed. We didn’t feel the sofa being used as a bed was comfortable and it also took away the sofa space.

We thought the same thing and on our next cruise specifically picked a mini suite with a pull down bed. We are going with a large balcony too. On our last cruise on the Escape (regular large balcony cabin with no pull down) I switched back and forth with DS 22 on the sofa bed, and it was definitely not as comfortable as the real bed. We haven't tried a pull down yet, but we also think it will be nice to have the sofa area available and not made up as a bed with the three of us. // We also are cruising with my parents and upgrades don't work well if you are specifically booking cabins together either.

the whole mini suite thing was super confusing to me originally.

I bid for one couple years ago, not accepted

a slightly bigger bathroom doesn't constitute a "mini suite" to me. I'd have been ticked paying more for that!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Hotels are doing the same thing too -- calling slightly bigger rooms mini suites. Actually for us, we are really doing the mini suite thing on NCL just to get the bigger balcony on eight. And even the slight increase in room is nice if you have three adults like we do. // We want to try a slightly bigger room and slightly bigger large balcony without that much of an increase in price. // I agree with you, though, what ever happened to the suite definition where a suite means an extra sitting room on top of a decent sized bedroom -- like the Embassy Suites hotel chain.

I was able to cancel my bid for a mini suite on the Escape 6/3 while it was still pending. i went to the ncl web site to do this. I like the mid ship deck 13 I have and like the others have posted getting a location I may not want is not worth a bigger bathroom. Happy I was able to do this.

• 2 months later...

I recently booked an interior. Closer to sail date, ocean views prices went way below what I'd already final paid for the interior. I begged my travel agent to get me an upgrade, for free, and he did. But NCL chose the cabin. I got one that has two exterior walls. The one with the window and another against the lifeboats. It took me a while to figure out why I could here laughter and why people were shouting. It was people on the outdoor deck below that serves the lifeboats.

Once I figured it out, embarrassingly day 5 of 21, I could easily ignore it.

But even so, to me, the cabin is undesirable.