Martinis in the cabin

TriumphGuy

I like a good martini. I have preordered some Bombay Gin through Princess Cellars but would like to bring a small bottle of Vermouth on board with me along with the usual accoutrements for making martinis, olives, shaker, etc.

Can I bring vermouth on board or is that considered liquor? I would consider it more like wine.

Thanks

I like a good martini. I have preordered some Bombay Gin through Princess Cellars but would like to bring a small bottle of Vermouth on board with me along with the usual accoutrements for making martinis, olives, shaker, etc.

Can I bring vermouth on board or is that considered liquor? I would consider it more like wine.

Thanks

Vermouth is a fortified wine, but as you know, has a significantly higher alcohol level than regular wine. I'm fairly sure vermouth would be a violation.

Unless you are particular about your olives, I wouldn't bother bringing them. I would just request some from Crooners, they have a nice variety and every time I've asked they've been happy to give me a glass full.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks

Does Vermouth come in a wine looking bottle? 750 ml or less? if so, I think they would let you in with it. I've never noticed the people checking for wine pay close attention to the bottles brought on. They are just checking for one per adult, putting a sticker on the extra bottles you get charged for.

Princess doesn't say wine up to xyz%, they say wine and champagne.

I have no idea what a Vermouth bottle looks like though so it might not be allowed.

Does Vermouth come in a wine looking bottle? 750 ml or less? if so, I think they would let you in with it. I've never noticed the people checking for wine pay close attention to the bottles brought on. They are just checking for one per adult, putting a sticker on the extra bottles you get charged for.

Princess doesn't say wine up to xyz%, they say wine and champagne.

I have no idea what a Vermouth bottle looks like though so it might not be allowed.

They no what Vermouth is, it's not allowed.

They no what Vermouth is, it's not allowed.

I know we'd all like to think they do, but I don't think they pay that close attention to the bottles. If it's a wine looking bottle or champagne looking bottle, it appears you are good to go.

Don't get me wrong, I'd freak out trying to get something not allowed on, I wouldn't do it! But I don't see where the Princess policy says no port wine or vermouth. Port is not a spirit. Vermouth is a fortified wine. Seems in the grey area to me.

Here is the policy.

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Edited by jennybenny

It also depends on the embarkation port.

In San Pedro they are very strict as we have witnessed first hand watching them open water bottles etc going through everything.

If it's in a checked bag and makes it onto the ship then the security staff are well versed.

It's the alcohol level as well.

I know we'd all like to think they do, but I don't think they pay that close attention to the bottles. If it's a wine looking bottle or champagne looking bottle, it appears you are good to go.

Don't get me wrong, I'd freak out trying to get something not allowed on, I wouldn't do it! But I don't see where the Princess policy says no port wine or vermouth. Port is not a spirit. Vermouth is a fortified wine. Seems in the grey area to me.

You judge, maybe yes, maybe no. However, I tend to agree with Keith. Also, I think if Princess assigns a crew member specifically to this duty, chances are they'll be given enough training to recognize a fortified wine, which I believe is not allowed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCwMPUko7SAhVFOiYKHQEqCH0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrinksenthusiast.com%2F2014%2F01%2F26%2Fmartini-tasting-notes%2F&psig=AFQjCNH-6ZiAnTtyz8BmWsJNgsXQ8g92yg&ust=1487112151387646

You judge, maybe yes, maybe no. However, I tend to agree with Keith. Also, I think if Princess assigns a crew member specifically to this duty, chances are they'll be given enough training to recognize a fortified wine, which I believe is not allowed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCwMPUko7SAhVFOiYKHQEqCH0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrinksenthusiast.com%2F2014%2F01%2F26%2Fmartini-tasting-notes%2F&psig=AFQjCNH-6ZiAnTtyz8BmWsJNgsXQ8g92yg&ust=1487112151387646

I'm not judging. I'm just saying it's an obvious grey area in their policy. Your saw the policy I took directly from Princess' website. Cruise critic users have interpreted it to mean fortified wine is not allowed.

I don't think Princess does a good job policing this policy as I've seen the uninterested employees at the tables in both San Francisco and Los Angeles. They don't seem to care much about what they are doing.

I've been getting the AIBP for convenience so bringing something on is not a concern for me. We buy wine if we want a bottle and don't worry about the hassle of bringing something heavy on. Even if we didn't get the package, I'd follow the rules.

I just don't feel Princess has clearly stated no fortified wine.

I have seen inconsistencies with many of Princess policies so one person may not be let on with their fortified wine and another might.

Sounds like given your concern the spray bottle suggested earlier would be better??

This is a non issue for me but I was merely offering my interpretation of Princess policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not judging.

Haha...I wasn't accusing you of judging. I was saying look at the picture of vermouth bottles in the link and "judge" if you think they would pass for wine bottles. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much vermouth do you need to make martinis? If you like them dry, a bottle will last a year! Why not stop by Crooners and request a shot of vermouth, keep the beverage covered in the mini fridge and use that for making martini's?

DH orders both gin and vodka pre-cruise so we can make martinis in the cabin. When he gets a shot of vermouth, he also gets a shot of cointreau to make chairman of the board or I can use it from a cosmo. We usually board with mini martini shaker and a fresh lemon and lime.

Darcy

Haha...I wasn't accusing you of judging. I was saying look at the picture of vermouth bottles in the link and "judge" if you think they would pass for wine bottles. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha [emoji23] [emoji5] I apologize about my misunderstanding

So if I look at those bottles, they wouldn't fly. They don't look like wine or champagne bottles.

I'm a a scaredy cat with breaking rules so that suggestion of buying a shot sounds waaaay stress free for my book. It's what I'd do

But my guess is a few of those would be required so is it really worth it? I'd probably bring a bottle to pour then into also because it more convenient when making a drink lol

Unless you are particular about your olives, I wouldn't bother bringing them. I would just request some from Crooners, they have a nice variety and every time I've asked they've been happy to give me a glass full.

Yes......... BUT are they the large cocktail type of olives, or the pathetic small salad size that are usually found on cruise ships????

I once bought a jar of "proper" cocktail at the first port of call on a HAL cruise and the bartender in my favorite bar was happy to keep it there for my use for the duration of the cruise.

SM

Yes......... BUT are they the large cocktail type of olives, or the pathetic small salad size that are usually found on cruise ships????

I once bought a jar of "proper" cocktail at the first port of call on a HAL cruise and the bartender in my favorite bar was happy to keep it there for my use for the duration of the cruise.

SM

Yes, they are the large "proper" cocktail type of olives. In fact if you go to Crooner's, order a martini and ask for an olive tray they will bring you a tray with five or six of them...........large, plump, proper cocktail olives, each stuffed with something different (pimento, almond, onion, jalapeno, blue cheese) . :D Can't wait to get back to Crooners. :D

SM

They are large beautiful, stuffed olives. The almond stuffed ones are my favourite. [emoji39]

I have never tried to bring a bottle of vermouth aboard and it does have a distinctive shape plus there is the issue of the label. As we all know, enforcement is somewhat random on Princess so the OP can try to bring it aboard. There is the possibility of using rumrunners as an option. I can sympathize with not offering a bottle of vermouth. I love Bombay gin BTW and chairman of the board.

Yes, they are the large "proper" cocktail type of olives. In fact if you go to Crooner's, order a martini and ask for an olive tray they will bring you a tray with five or six of them...........large, plump, proper cocktail olives, each stuffed with something different (pimento, almond, onion, jalapeno, blue cheese) . :D Can't wait to get back to Crooners. :D

The Adagio Bar also offers a variety of olives for free; in fact they are listed in the drinks menu.