gratuities, this is how they are officially spread out

luckyinpa

Illegal in what country?

Not sure what you mean "in what country". If you give money for tips and the money does not actually get to the people you have given it to because they have not gotten perfect 10s, where is it? They (cruiseline) have essentially stolen your money to keep for themselves. Is that OK with you? It's not OK with me... Just sayin'.

Ahh another tipping thread. We are aussies so we don't usually tip at home but we do when we travel to the US or on a US ship (autograts plus extra cash tips at the end of the cruise for those who have been especially helpful).

We had two instances on our last trip where our tip was refused! As Aussies, because the whole tipping thing is so confusing to us, I tend to hand out the bills quite often we interact with someone in a service capacity.

The most memorable was when we checked into our Manhattan hotel prior to our cruise from Port Liberty. On reaching our room I found our TV wasn't working. A call to reception and I was assured that someone would come and fix it. It did take an hour for someone to turn up. However he was lovely and when I offered a tip he refused. A few minutes later he returned with two free drink vouchers for their roof top bar! So in effect, he gave me a tip! :)

Thank you for the responses. Just to say...my point was that due to the current tipping policy I have chosen in the past to "double" tip, but in the future I am choosing to tip for service received and only that. I know there is a complex program for dispersing the tips among the crew, but it is way too complex for me. I intend to reward crew that I see face to face for their service. And I will do so generously. This discussion, to me, isn't about trying to save money when I cruise, but to make the system fair to the cruiser as well as the crew. Royal is the problem.

Yes but your system is doomed to failure from the word go. If you are tagged as having removed auto gratuities then any "money" you give individually to staff has to be pooled by them anyway. It therefore goes into the same pot you were trying to avoid. If you leave auto gratuities on and then also tip cash they get to keep that.

Yes but your system is doomed to failure from the word go. If you are tagged as having removed auto gratuities then any "money" you give individually to staff has to be pooled by them anyway. It therefore goes into the same pot you were trying to avoid. If you leave auto gratuities on and then also tip cash they get to keep that.

I agree the cruise lines seem to control our gratuitys regardless​ how we give them.

Not sure what you mean "in what country". If you give money for tips and the money does not actually get to the people you have given it to because they have not gotten perfect 10s, where is it? They (cruiseline) have essentially stolen your money to keep for themselves. Is that OK with you? It's not OK with me... Just sayin'.

I was referring to your statement, "Seems highly illegal to me". "Illegal" has a very specific definition. It involves laws. I was asking you what country's laws you were thinking of when you said you felt that what they were doing was "illegal".

So, let me get this straight...If I chose to give my tips at the end of the cruise as cash instead of auto-tipping, the person I hand the envelope to does not get to keep that cash??? Do we know this for sure?

Well, some here say they like remove auto grats and tip the people personally. Not a thing wrong with that other than the fact you probably interact directly with about 50% of the people who have done something for you on the cruise. This is why I leave auto grats on and give extra as deemed appropriate. Our way, we feel its fair, works for us. Your mileage may vary.

How are the dining services tips split up between the waiter and assistant waiter? Also, what is "other hotel services"?

We need to look back to when the gratuities were itemised to try and work this out:-

In 2010 suggested gratuity was $11.65 USD per day, broken down as follows:

· Hotel services: $5.00 USD a day per guest

· Dining Room Waiter: $3.75 USD a day perguest

· Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day perguest

· Head Waiter: $0.75 USD a day per guest

Therefore the dining services staff slice was 3.75 + 2.15 + 0.75 = $6.65 of the total.

· Dining Room Waiter: $3.75 as a percentage of 6.65 = 56.39%

· Assistant Waiter: $2.15 as a percentage of 6.65 = 32.33%

· Headwaiter: $0.75 as a percentage of 6.65 = 11.28%

If we transfer these percentages to the current 2017 rates…

Auto gratuity $13.50 per day broken down as follows:

· Dining services: $6.10 USD a day per guest

· Stateroom attendant: $3.45 USD a day per guest

· Other hotel services: $3.95 USD a day per guest

Taking the Dining services portion of $6.10

· Dining Room Waiter: 56.39% of 6.10 =$3.44

· Assistant Waiter: 32.33% of 6.10 = $1.97

· Headwaiter: 11.28% of 6.10 = $0.69

The full gratuity breakdown per day will be as follows:

Stateroom attendant…. $3.45

Dining room waiter….. $3.44

Assistant waiter….….. $1.97

Head waiter……….… $0.69

Other hotel services... $3.95

TOTAL……….…….. $13.50

Edited by icsys

I'd suggest no.... There are probably thousands who equally don't care and who think this is an employer/employee matter only.

To be fair, it is.

People ask questions... others give answers.

Well, some here say they like remove auto grats and tip the people personally. Not a thing wrong with that other than the fact you probably interact directly with about 50% of the people who have done something for you on the cruise. This is why I leave auto grats on and give extra as deemed appropriate. Our way, we feel its fair, works for us. Your mileage may vary.

That's all well and good if that's what you choose to do (giving extra) and are financially able to do so. Many such as I, cannot afford to cruise often and we must keep our expenses in check in order to be able to afford the trip in the first place. We don't buy drinks, specialty restaurants, photos etc. We just can't. We enjoy ourselves with what come in the cruise price. I give the tips that are asked for according to RCCL guidelines and I feel strongly that those who serve me actually get those tips. I should not have to give extra to ensure that they do. This is why I am upset to learn that is not the case. I should be able to choose where my money goes.

Am I the only who doesn't care, and who thinks this is an employer/employee matter only? :confused:

Nope! I'm right there with you. This ranks right up there with wanting to know what my mailman and garbage man make for a living.

That's all well and good if that's what you choose to do (giving extra) and are financially able to do so. Many such as I, cannot afford to cruise often and we must keep our expenses in check in order to be able to afford the trip in the first place. We don't buy drinks, specialty restaurants, photos etc. We just can't. We enjoy ourselves with what come in the cruise price. I give the tips that are asked for according to RCCL guidelines and I feel strongly that those who serve me actually get those tips. I should not have to give extra to ensure that they do. This is why I am upset to learn that is not the case. I should be able to choose where my money goes.

Wasn't being critical at all about those that don't pay extra. Was just being a little critical about those that remove the autograts. I'm on your side here.

And in my whole 55 years I've only cruised 6 times so you got me beat there. Can't call that a lot.

I agree.

I think its only a question of time before they are going to make it a compulsory service charge then potentially everyone will be cajoled into handing the envelopes out to tip waiters,cabin stewards etc.

We leave the auto tips on and give small amounts for extra service. On our last cruise hubby had a bartender and a drink server who went above and beyond so they got a little extra. Left a small bit of extra for our room steward, but honestly his service was adequate not exemplary so we didn't feel that leaving a ton of extra on top of what we had already paid was needed.

We leave the auto tips on and give small amounts for extra service. On our last cruise hubby had a bartender and a drink server who went above and beyond so they got a little extra. Left a small bit of extra for our room steward, but honestly his service was adequate not exemplary so we didn't feel that leaving a ton of extra on top of what we had already paid was needed.

It is a number of years now since i could honestly say we have had absolutely outstanding service.

I would call it very good at best but the fact there seems to be less waiters,bar staff,cabin stewards etc i suppose this is understandable.

So, let me get this straight...If I chose to give my tips at the end of the cruise as cash instead of auto-tipping, the person I hand the envelope to does not get to keep that cash??? Do we know this for sure?

In short yes. Just google it on this forum it comes up a lot.

I agree with all you say here, however none of it is due to auto gratuities! It's the cruise line cutting staff levels pure and simple. For example 2 staff used to clean 24 rooms between them, under the new method 1 person does 14 rooms so 2 do 28, 4 more, thus less stewards are needed. Same at bars and restaurants.

If you do the math $3.45 x 2 people x 7 days = $48.30 per week per cabin. 28 cabins x $48.30 = $1352.4 a week. Divided by 2 crew members = $676.20 Per week per cabin attendant. That's $35,162.40 a year per attendant. Why do I keep hearing they only make $600 a month. If so is RC is keeping the rest? please explain?:confused:

Nope! I'm right there with you. This ranks right up there with wanting to know what my mailman and garbage man make for a living.

So if you folks go to a restaurant and add the tip to your bill, you're OK with the restaurant doing something else with it other than giving the entire amount to your waiter? That's dishonest and fraudulent.

So if you folks go to a restaurant and add the tip to your bill, you're OK with the restaurant doing something else with it other than giving the entire amount to your waiter? That's dishonest and fraudulent.

Not my problem.

Gregg

Exactly,we learned a long time ago to give cash tips in restaurants at home and not just add something extra onto the bill.

With regards to cruise lines,they are a law upon themselves.

Maybe we need an undercover cruiser to work as a waiter/cabin steward to get the true answer regarding how tips are distributed.

What would I google to see that? And do we know that this is true or just speculation on the part of fellow cruisers?

If you search this forum for "removing autoratuties" you will find the threads. How do we know its true or not is up to you to decide using whatever methods you normally decide is something is true or not. People quote from crew members experiences of it.

However, it makes complete sense for it to be true. RC are trying to shift paying part of the wages away from the cost of the cruise to be in gratuties. If they allowed staff to keep cash tips then the system fails. Staff could of course keep any cash they get but given they have to share close quarters with the others for 9 months it wouldn't be a good move. People will soon find out who is keeping the money to themselves.

Frankly its a service charge and they should just be open and honest about it.