gratuities, this is how they are officially spread out

luckyinpa

Don't leave them any extra. RCI says that a service charge has been included in the $35 pp upcharge. figure with an 18% tip that is still $29 pp extra charge for food.

We always by the five night finding pkg and use our bogo's! We're already getting a great deal and truly appreciate great service when we get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NOTHING!

As always it goes in the pool that is split or pocketed by the cruise-line.....

After reading some posts it is probably going to the hotel manager lol.

It would be interesting to find out how much the server gets because i always gave them $3 every morning.Who thinks​ it all goes to RC?so in reality it will cost me $10.95 for an omolette or fried egg bacon and sausage and my fruit and cereal.I welcomed the extra choice when i thought waiters tip was included.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.

Seems to be a lot of talking about tipping these days. I actually just read a very interesting article at cruiselawnew.com that I found very enlightening.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights-1/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/

Thank you very much an interesting read on all the articles

Seems to be a lot of talking about tipping these days. I actually just read a very interesting article at cruiselawnew.com that I found very enlightening.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights-1/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/

Thank you very much an interesting read on all the articles

You can pretty much take anything written on that website and throw it right in the trash.

You can pretty much take anything written on that website and throw it right in the trash.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Just like with any thing, including Cruise Critic...you take it with a grain of salt. I have been following this site for years and will continue to do so. Lots of times there are things reported here that you wouldn't hear about elsewhere!

Lynn & Ken

You have your opinion and I have mine. Just like with any thing, including Cruise Critic...you take it with a grain of salt. I have been following this site for years and will continue to do so. Lots of times there are things reported here that you wouldn't hear about elsewhere!

Lynn & Ken

I would like to say again thank you for posting,i am from UK and don't get to see these but i enjoyed reading all the articles although some were quite sad.

Graham.

• 6 months later...
Anyone know for sure if the cabin steward’s work for tips ONLY? That is something I heard today.... surely that isn’t correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No they do have a salary but tips do make up the bulk of their pay.

Great article from USA Today. So do you believe the cruiselines or the crew.

There are people here that parrot the cruiselines propaganda for a reason.

Theoretically the cruiseline is correct. But the crew only see the extra money if and when their total tips exceed their basic pay.

I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I just learned from another thread here that the crew does not receive their tips if they don't get all 10s on the surveys passengers fill out. Seems highly illegal to me. Even though it is inconvenient, I think I will go back to handing them an envelope at the end of the cruise to make sure the people get what they deserve.

as opposed to NCLs secret division. i'm glad to see RCI being up front who gets what.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5523

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Standard Staterooms:

• $6.35 - Dining Services
  • $3.45 - Stateroom Attendant
  • $3.70 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

• $6.35 - Dining Services
  • $6.10 - Suite Attendant
  • $4.05 - Other Hotel Services

How are the dining services tips split up between the waiter and assistant waiter? Also, what is "other hotel services"?

How are the dining services tips split up between the waiter and assistant waiter? Also, what is "other hotel services"?

Other hotel services usually refers to the helpers for the stateroom attendant.

Other hotel services usually refers to the helpers for the stateroom attendant.

Are there helpers for room attendant. I thought they are at the bottom of the totem pole.

For large outlets like the dining rooms the tips are pooled together. I understand for some outfit the staff uniform don't have pockets for obvious reasons.

Resurrection_2013_logo.jpg

Thank you. I was reading through this, getting all worked up... "why are we rehashing this AGAIN???"... then I saw your post.

Why can't Royal just call it a "$13.50 pp per day resort fee"? That would eliminate all of this debate. That being said, in general, i've found the service in the dining room has gone drastically downhill on most of my sailings. Royal says guests have until morning of departure to adjust their auto gratuities, has anyone done this at the last minute, due to poor service?

We always tip the hotel housekeeper, unless it's a 1 nighter....

Why not if a one nighter? We always leave the housekeeper a tip. Doesn't matter that he/she won't see us again. I am really wondering why you wouldn't leave a tip?

I didn't read all 8 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I just learned from another thread here that the crew does not receive their tips if they don't get all 10s on the surveys passengers fill out. Seems highly illegal to me. Even though it is inconvenient, I think I will go back to handing them an envelope at the end of the cruise to make sure the people get what they deserve.

Illegal in what country?