gratuities, this is how they are officially spread out

luckyinpa

If you search this forum for "removing autoratuties" you will find the threads. How do we know its true or not is up to you to decide using whatever methods you normally decide is something is true or not. People quote from crew members experiences of it.

However, it makes complete sense for it to be true. RC are trying to shift paying part of the wages away from the cost of the cruise to be in gratuties. If they allowed staff to keep cash tips then the system fails. Staff could of course keep any cash they get but given they have to share close quarters with the others for 9 months it wouldn't be a good move. People will soon find out who is keeping the money to themselves.

Frankly its a service charge and they should just be open and honest about it.

Most of the crew are of Asian origon and seem happy with their lot.

We had an Eastern European cabin steward once who told it straight.

He said the autotips he gets was a piddling amount and it was only the extra tips the passengers gave him that made it worthwhile.

So if you folks go to a restaurant and add the tip to your bill, you're OK with the restaurant doing something else with it other than giving the entire amount to your waiter? That's dishonest and fraudulent.

Like Big_G said...not my problem. It is not my business how an employer pays its employees, nor should I have any say in their internal policies.

Maybe we need an undercover cruiser to work as a waiter/cabin steward to get the true answer regarding how tips are distributed.

You are joking, right?

Wasn't being critical at all about those that don't pay extra. Was just being a little critical about those that remove the autograts. I'm on your side here.

And in my whole 55 years I've only cruised 6 times so you got me beat there. Can't call that a lot.

I certainly didn't think you were being critical at all. I know many people give extra, which is very nice. I was just saying that we can't and would like to know that the people we want to get it, actually get it. It seems from what I have read here that even if we hand them cash instead of auto tips, they have to hand that over to someone else who distributes it. :rolleyes:

So if you folks go to a restaurant and add the tip to your bill, you're OK with the restaurant doing something else with it other than giving the entire amount to your waiter? That's dishonest and fraudulent.

on one of the restaurant shows, the owners were even admitting on cam that they took all the tips from the waitresses. not a good thing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2358541/Gordon-Ramsays-difficult-couple-finally-speak-death-threats-rows--scandal-unpaid-tips.html

If you do the math $3.45 x 2 people x 7 days = $48.30 per week per cabin. 28 cabins x $48.30 = $1352.4 a week. Divided by 2 crew members = $676.20 Per week per cabin attendant. That's $35,162.40 a year per attendant. Why do I keep hearing they only make $600 a month. If so is RC is keeping the rest? please explain?:confused:

The $600/mo is probably the floor that RCI guarantees (if everyone took off the tips) - it is also close to the $614 JMC min set by the ILO for able seafarers. A $3000/mo figure has been mentioned in a few places as about the going rate for some of the tipped positions, however that does not translate to $36K per year since they don't have 12 mo contracts.

I am not okay with that. I do not think an employer has any entitlement to a tip or gratuity given to a server directly. My friends bar I learned this was happening and now only tip there in cash.

Am I the only who doesn't care, and who thinks this is an employer/employee matter only? :confused:

It does seem like there is a disproportionate concern as to how this $100pppw is distributed.

I pay a whole lot more in taxes. Most relevant to this discussion are property taxes which go to schools, and other local infer-structure. I’d be willing to bet the same people wadded up about how their $100 tip is divied out have never looked at the budget for their town or school district.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The $600/mo is probably the floor that RCI guarantees (if everyone took off the tips) - it is also close to the $614 JMC min set by the ILO for able seafarers. A $3000/mo figure has been mentioned in a few places as about the going rate for some of the tipped positions, however that does not translate to $36K per year since they don't have 12 mo contracts.

I would half that to $300/mo. ILO is just a talking shop and their recommendation is just some numbers.

Tips are big with the cruiselines. Why do the crew uniform have no pockets. So the crew is suppose to hand in and pool their tips. Who do you thing run the pool and what they do you think they do with it. So when you hand your cash tips to the crew think again if he will get to keep the tips.

I am not okay with that. I do not think an employer has any entitlement to a tip or gratuity given to a server directly. My friends bar I learned this was happening and now only tip there in cash.

I was told when customers add extra gratuity onto credit cards this happens.

1 They have to wait a couple of months before they see any of it.

2 The employer takes a chunk of it in the guise of credit card fees etc etc.

3 They have to pay tax on it.

I was told when customers add extra gratuity onto credit cards this happens.

1 They have to wait a couple of months before they see any of it.

2 The employer takes a chunk of it in the guise of credit card fees etc etc.

3 They have to pay tax on it.

Don't have much of an issue with most of that.

They have to wait until the employer actually gets the money from the credit card company.

The employer does have to pay a premium for a credit card transaction.

They should pay taxes as it an income.

Merriam-Webster defines gratuity as "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service." I would prefer to see the ship's staff paid appropriately and cruisers given the option to voluntarily pay a tip to an individual for particularly good service. An automatic gratuity is an oxymoron.

I feel the same way. A tip/gratuity should be a direct payment from a customer to an employee. I do not think it's OK for the company to get a cut of it.

Don't have much of an issue with most of that.

They have to wait until the employer actually gets the money from the credit card company.

The employer does have to pay a premium for a credit card transaction.

They should pay taxes as it an income.

Thats true but if you give them cash the only things that happen is.

It goes straight into their pocket and they really appreciate it.

Am I the only who doesn't care, and who thinks this is an employer/employee matter only? :confused:

Nope! I'm right there with you. This ranks right up there with wanting to know what my mailman and garbage man make for a living.

Count me in too! If I tip $25 in a restaurant in cash or by credit card I know some of that might get split with the bus boy, dish washers etc. Do I care? No. That's up the the restaurant and its staff. I might get concerned if the owner took all my tip and left his/her staff making below minimum wage, but if that was the case those employees should be proactively looking for a better job.

I also don't bother asking the server if they get to keep all my cash tip or credit card tip, or if my tip was enough, because I know what their self-serving answer will be.;)

No, you're not. It's not my business as to what their salary is or isn't. Just like it isn't their business I make in my position. I imagine that the income of most cruise line staff is above the average for their particular country and that is why they do those particular jobs for many years.

Count me in too! If I tip $25 in a restaurant in cash or by credit card I know some of that might get split with the bus boy, dish washers etc. Do I care? No. That's up the the restaurant and its staff. I might get concerned if the owner took all my tip and left his/her staff making below minimum wage, but if that was the case those employees should be proactively looking for a better job.

I also don't bother asking the server if they get to keep all my cash tip or credit card tip, or if my tip was enough, because I know what their self-serving answer will be.;)

We only go to restaurants that have good reviews on Tripadvisor or are recommended to us at home so i expect to pay a premium price and get quality food as standard.

My tip is based on the quality of the service we get.

In the UK i give a minimum of 10% of the total bill but often i will give 20% even though the servers are on minimum wage.

In the US i will give between 15-20%.

Thats true but if you give them cash the only things that happen is.

It goes straight into their pocket and they really appreciate it.

My understanding was that if the auto-grats were in place, s/es got to keep any extra, but if they we’re cancelled they had to go to the pool. But after reading the other thread (about surveys) that resurrected this zombie thread, I don’t know what to believe anymore.

I don’t even have an RCCL cruise booked at this point (but I’m sure I’ll sail them again in the next year). Our next cruise is on Carnival Breeze for Thanksgiving. We will probably do what we always do on this front: Leave the Auto-tips in place, divie up a $100 extra to the wait staff and steward and based on service (and maybe the M’d if he does something for us) and answer the survey how we damn well feel like!

My understanding was that if the auto-grats were in place, s/es got to keep any extra, but if they we’re cancelled they had to go to the pool. But after reading the other thread (about surveys) that resurrected this zombie thread, I don’t know what to believe anymore.

I don’t even have an RCCL cruise booked at this point (but I’m sure I’ll sail them again in the next year). Our next cruise is on Carnival Breeze for Thanksgiving. We will probably do what we always do on this front: Leave the Auto-tips in place, divie up a $100 extra to the wait staff and steward and based on service (and maybe the M’d if he does something for us) and answer the survey how we damn well feel like!

Sorry i was still answering about waiters in restaurants not on ship.

Its illegal in the us for the dishwasher to get a cut.