Oasis class boardwalk view vs ocean view balcony - your thoughts?

Central park is our favourite part of the ship.From 7.30am it is incredibly busy at Park cafe until 6 pm at night.Then there are people Al fresco dining at chops grill and Jamie's plus live music and a busy bar and the rising tide bar too.My opinion after once on Allure and 3 times on Harmony I would try and change to an OV balcony but I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Ya we understand those timings and all, as we have been on Allure twice before. With two little ones we have no problem with that, it's quiet at night and my wife loves the greenery. Plus, the rooms are pretty soundproof. I will always try to get OV but it's harder with adjoining cabins.

And thanks! With Allure you can't help but hav a fantastic time!

We loved the BW balcony we had on Harmony a couple of weeks ago. We were on deck 8 and 2nd cabin from AFT and the noise wasn't all that bad and got pretty quiet after 11 PM. Our room was right above Johnny Rockets and the ships speakers. The people watching was great, and hearing the muffled screams from those going down the Abyss was kind of neat (I survived 2 runs down Abyss...and I didn't scream at all :p). We didn't see too many people out on the balcony, but there were almost always a few others out there with us. Yes, you do have to be careful about leaving the curtains open.

We had an OV on Oasis the year before and we loved that room as well. Later this year we have booked a Central Park Balcony on Oasis.

We can do an Ocean view balcony on almost any cruise ship, but only the Oasis class of ships have Boardwalk and Central Park views.

We had 12729, the last cabin in the back on Oasis a few years ago. The kids did enjoy the aqua show, we probably watched it 3 times and the other sites. But if it was just wife and I an OV is the way to go.

My favorite thing on a cruise is sitting on my balcony early in the morning sipping my coffee. 4 weeks and change until our Allure cruise-1st ever on Royal. Getting excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would absolutely go with the ocean view balcony. Boardwalk reminds me of a condominium complex. That isn't what I go to sea for.

Depends on the condo, don't you think. ;)

We are doing a CP this December to try out the dbl wide balcony of 12629

I would absolutely go with the ocean view balcony. Boardwalk reminds me of a condominium complex. That isn't what I go to sea for.

Yes, especially when they have the clotheslines strung between balconies across the Boardwalk with people's laundry drying.;)

Glad to have read all of the responses on this, it gives me further reason to stay away from Oasis class ships. We prefer the smaller ships.

Is the pricing for a Boardwalk the same as an ocean view balcony? I'd think it would be a lot cheaper due to no OV?

Glad to have read all of the responses on this, it gives me further reason to stay away from Oasis class ships. We prefer the smaller ships.

Is the pricing for a Boardwalk the same as an ocean view balcony? I'd think it would be a lot cheaper due to no OV?

While there have been exceptions, Boardwalk and Central park balcony staterooms are usually less expensive than Ocean View balcony staterooms.

Yes, especially when they have the clotheslines strung between balconies across the Boardwalk with people's laundry drying.;)

i haven't seen that, but I've seen a few ugly sports banners hanging from the railing

• Like 1

That is what happens when there are no self service laundries to use.:cool:

I'd only take a neighborhood balcony if the cost was the same or less than an interior with the diamond discount otherwise I am not interested in that view at all and I can't do the things on the balcony that I like to do with an ocean view

• Haha 1

We had a Boardwalk balcony on Oasis and I probably wouldn't do it again. I found it hot to sit on as the air didn't seem to move much, also had to keep drapes shut a lot as our balcony faced the basketball court which was utilized day and night. And you needed to keep the door closed securely due to noise, the bell rung each time the carousel stopped and started became annoying!!

Glad we tried it, but much prefer Ocean balcony!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always book OV balconies but we have finally decided to mix it up. So we booked adjoining Central Park balconies on the Allure. We're on the top deck so I hope we get a little more privacy and it shouldn't be as noisy as Boardwalk. And it doesn't hurt that we get a few nice lunches and a couple bottles of wine. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly and I still plan to hang and sleep on my hammock!

I am a hammock camper. I actually make them for people as well. I thought my wife would kill me if I brought one or the steward would yell at me for hanging it.

Have you done this before? Oasis class balconies? Now I am thinking its possible, so thanks.

I am a hammock camper. I actually make them for people as well. I thought my wife would kill me if I brought one or the steward would yell at me for hanging it.

Have you done this before? Oasis class balconies? Now I am thinking its possible, so thanks.

I've been doing it for years. Stewards don't care and I've never been told otherwise. Lots of passengers use them.

One of my favourite things to bring on a cruise.

We always have an oceanview balcony, but when we sailed on Allure in January, my sister convinced me to try the Boardwalk balcony. We were the third cabin from the aft.

When I was out on the balcony, it was noisy, but as soon as the door closed, it was quiet. I wasn't crazy about having to have the drapes closed so much so that people across from us couldn't see us getting dressed for dinner etc. It was also a long walk from the elevator, but in the overall that was probably a good idea to work off some calories.

We had plans to go to the OceanAria show the first night, but it was cancelled because of winds and cold weather. We were able to see it from our balcony another night. We also saw the parade with King Julian etc from our balcony.

I liked the location of our cabin, but my next cruise on Allure will be in an oceanview balcony so it seems more like a cruise. If the price difference were substantial, I would cruise again in a Boardwalk balcony.

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, JPV072900 said:

I'd like to hear some new opinions on the oceanview vs boardwalk & central park balconies!!

Hoping to book the Oasis today!!

I sailed Oasis in 11/2017 with an Oceanview balcony and then sailed Symphony in 04/2019 with a boardwalk balcony (10327). 

I actually preferred the boardwalk balcony. I enjoyed people watching, I could see the ocean still. We would change in the bathroom or close curtains when getting ready, it was no big deal. The perks with the boardwalk balcony was nice too. It was loud when the aqua show was going on, but noise was not an issue otherwise. 

I’m booked on Harmony for October and I’ve reserved a boardwalk balcony again.

If I was in NYC I would pick a room with little privacy and a window for people watching. On a cruise I want my view of the ocean. Absolutely know privacy on BW balconies. I love to have my PJs on watching the ship pull into port. Even if I never stepped foot on the balcony an OV cabin is for me. Drapes never close and I have a full view of beauty. 

The Oceanview balcony is your own personal getaway.  The Boardwalk balcony looks like living in a high rise condo.  Yeah; if you sit in the corner and crane your neck you can see a glimpse of the water and the nightly show but the view is absolutely depressing the rest of the time, no privacy, and it's noisy.  One and done on boardwalk balcony for us. 

38 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The Oceanview balcony is your own personal getaway.  The Boardwalk balcony looks like living in a high rise condo.  Yeah; if you sit in the corner and crane your neck you can see a glimpse of the water and the nightly show but the view is absolutely depressing the rest of the time, no privacy, and it's noisy.  One and done on boardwalk balcony for us. 

I certainly don’t consider this view depressing. That’s the beauty of the oasis class, there’s a room type for everyone. 

9B32C3FA-5787-4DFF-94D1-789ECA64E79B.jpeg

B6B90304-F0A2-42D9-8532-B030B9220BD6.jpeg

CABC0C31-2220-48A1-BDBD-D28580FC5D8A.jpeg

We have been in all 3 neighborhood balcony rooms on Oasis class ships.

1- Central Park balcony is nice for people watching at night. Not much natural air movement and we were up on deck 10. The repeating sound track of birds and insects gets old after a few minutes. Hardly used the balcony after the first couple of days. We did this on Oasis, so I can't comment on noise from the water slides.

2- Ocean View balcony is an ocean view balcony.

3- Boardwalk is great for people watching almost all day. You can watch the shows and movies at night if you are far aft. Far aft also gives you a partial view of the ocean. No noise from the Abyss. Noise from the people.....well it is a Boardwalk 😁. Noise from the shows/movies is barely noticeable with the door closed.

Biggest drawback of the inside balconies is having to keep the curtains closed while dressing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mooseman52b said:

We have been in all 3 neighborhood balcony rooms on Oasis class ships.

1- Central Park balcony is nice for people watching at night. Not much natural air movement and we were up on deck 10. The repeating sound track of birds and insects gets old after a few minutes. Hardly used the balcony after the first couple of days. We did this on Oasis, so I can't comment on noise from the water slides.

2- Ocean View balcony is an ocean view balcony.

3- Boardwalk is great for people watching almost all day. You can watch the shows and movies at night if you are far aft. Far aft also gives you a partial view of the ocean. No noise from the Abyss. Noise from the people.....well it is a Boardwalk 😁. Noise from the shows/movies is barely noticeable with the door closed.

Biggest drawback of the inside balconies is having to keep the curtains closed while dressing.

Thank you for an interesting summary of Oasis balcony cabins.

We always book an ocean view balcony cabin and found your post informative and convinced me we are right to book the ocean view balcony for the peace and privacy.

• Like 1