Oasis class boardwalk view vs ocean view balcony - your thoughts?

I'd like your thoughts about choosing between an ocean view balcony and a boardwalk view balcony on an Oasis class ship.

I think I prefer the ocean view because I like to step out on the balcony and see the ocean and soak in the ambiance of being at sea. The ocean views also provide a measure of privacy.

Besides being able to see the aqua show at the back of the ship from boardwalk view balconies what other plus(es) do you see with those cabins?

I just booked an ocean view on the Allure, deck 10, on the hump. It'll be my first cruise on an Oasis class. Really looking forward to it. I think I made a good choice but I'm open to being convinced that boardwalk balconies are great, too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are a few perks that come with the boardwalk view balcony (free soda package, one lunch at Jonny Rockets), but I've read that it can be noisy and of course you lose some privacy.

We sailed Oasis in May 2013 in cabin 10329 and loved the view from that floor - Aquatheater, boardwalk festivities, and ocean. A lot of folks will say that they think Boardwalk balconies are loud, I guess this would come down to a personal level, anytime of day or night we did not think that it was loud outside or inside. We loved the location so much that we booked the exact same cabin on Allure this April!!

• Like 1

on my upcoming cruise with my wife (4/30 on the allure) we considered the same thing. We looked at outside balcony or inside. Gty or choosen room. bw or cp. If I had my choice it would have been bw picked room near the back. Views of the ocean, aqua theater, people and the bonus of soda, jr and rock climbing lessons. This cruise is in celebration of my wifes 40th so it was her call. We elected for an outside gty. I believe she wanted the quite and privacy. She felt like the inside balcony would be like staying at a hotel with an atrium. We would have maybe chosen a bw towards the back but none were available unless it was the last few which cost significantly more.

So the idea of either getting a bw balcony that was either under the pools or on the lower levels was possible, if we went neighborhood gty. I bet the outside balconies can have issues to based on location but we felt it was a safer bet to get a good outside room. We are not picky in what level we are, walking to and from is going to happen on this massive vessel regardless of location and with all the food we will eat, it will be welcome.

We just had a boardwalk balcony on the Harmony. It was nice and fun to watch people but just not the same as an ocean view. We will for sure be getting OV balconies if we ever go on another Oasis class. As for the noise complaints, we had none. Hardly heard anything and it was rare if we did.

We've had both types of staterooms on this Class. Both were great. Our Boardwork Balcony was second to the end. So we still got a "view" of the ocean. Never had problems with noise. But, I have to agree with Bob. This class of ships doesn't have as many areas to view the ocean. We prefer the outside balcony.

The boardwalk balconies have no privacy and on 4 voyages on this ship class I can count on 2 hands the number of people I have seen sitting on these balconies.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Good point. There was only one couple that I ever saw on the balcony for an extended time more than once or twice. Seems they had breakfast every morning out there. Right across from my cabin and 1 deck up. Other than that hardly anyone out there.

The longest time I stayed on our balcony was to watch the extra diving show they had. Watched it from actual seats later that day. Much better up close and without that huge purple slide in the way. Which I did enjoy the one time I went down it.

Had our first Boardwalk balcony in January. We didn't know if we would like it or not but as it turned out we LOVED it!!!

We are the kind of people who enjoy watching all the activity around us. We could see ocean and also people watch on the Boardwalk as well as watch the zip line and aqua show.

We enjoyed spending time out on the balcony eating breakfast, reading and watching everything going on.

In the future we will always try to book a Boardwalk balcony!!

We had a starboard side OV on the Oasis in February. We faced land in all the Western Caribbean ports, which was great. Plus, we enjoyed looking for marine life while at sea. Saw porpoises (we think) and tons of flying fish.

I was a very lucky kid growing up in the Malibu, California area...My bedroom had a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean...I pretty much learned, as a kid, that views of streets and parks and shopping centers were all over the place, but ocean views were in very limited supply...Check out the real estate market sometimes...There is an incredible difference in price for homes with an ocean view compared to similar homes without...

So, back when RCCL first launched the Allure of the Seas, I booked one of the inaugural cruises...and I was shocked to find, at that time, they actually had the interior balconies priced HIGHER than the ocean view balconies! I had been on a few cruises on the slightly smaller new ships and had booked our daughters in Promenade View cabins across the hall from our balconies, always amazed at what a bargain they were--priced only slightly higher than inside cabins...And, more than once, thought RCCL made a mistake not just attaching inside balconies to those --they could have squeezed a premium with that slight alteration--but glad they didn't because we appreciated the bargain for our kids...

So, when the Oasis class came out and we saw the pricing for those interior balconies, we thought "No way" for us...but also figured someone would book them.

For me, I don't want a balcony that looks across at the balcony across the street...or that everyone walking below can look in at...I want to wake up in the morning and walk outside half dressed (not undressed mind you...people in neighboring cabins CAN peek around the corner)...I want to see the ocean...or the foreign port we are sailing into or are docked at...I have stood on my balcony and watched sailaways in Venice and Kotor and Malta...and have, from my balcony, seen glaciers and mountains and fjords in Alaska and New Zealand and Norway...But, with one of those interior balconies, your view never changes. If I want to see what's going on on the Promenade or on the Boardwalk, I can just leave the cabin and go there for an even closer look

I was a very lucky kid growing up in the Malibu, California area...My bedroom had a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean...I pretty much learned, as a kid, that views of streets and parks and shopping centers were all over the place, but ocean views were in very limited supply...Check out the real estate market sometimes...There is an incredible difference in price for homes with an ocean view compared to similar homes without...

So, back when RCCL first launched the Allure of the Seas, I booked one of the inaugural cruises...and I was shocked to find, at that time, they actually had the interior balconies priced HIGHER than the ocean view balconies! I had been on a few cruises on the slightly smaller new ships and had booked our daughters in Promenade View cabins across the hall from our balconies, always amazed at what a bargain they were--priced only slightly higher than inside cabins...And, more than once, thought RCCL made a mistake not just attaching inside balconies to those --they could have squeezed a premium with that slight alteration--but glad they didn't because we appreciated the bargain for our kids...

So, when the Oasis class came out and we saw the pricing for those interior balconies, we thought "No way" for us...but also figured someone would book them.

For me, I don't want a balcony that looks across at the balcony across the street...or that everyone walking below can look in at...I want to wake up in the morning and walk outside half dressed (not undressed mind you...people in neighboring cabins CAN peek around the corner)...I want to see the ocean...or the foreign port we are sailing into or are docked at...I have stood on my balcony and watched sailaways in Venice and Kotor and Malta...and have, from my balcony, seen glaciers and mountains and fjords in Alaska and New Zealand and Norway...But, with one of those interior balconies, your view never changes. If I want to see what's going on on the Promenade or on the Boardwalk, I can just leave the cabin and go there for an even closer look

Fantastic response this is the best I have ever heard.

We always book OV balconies but we have finally decided to mix it up. So we booked adjoining Central Park balconies on the Allure. We're on the top deck so I hope we get a little more privacy and it shouldn't be as noisy as Boardwalk. And it doesn't hurt that we get a few nice lunches and a couple bottles of wine. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly and I still plan to hang and sleep on my hammock!

We always book OV balconies but we have finally decided to mix it up. So we booked adjoining Central Park balconies on the Allure. We're on the top deck so I hope we get a little more privacy and it shouldn't be as noisy as Boardwalk. And it doesn't hurt that we get a few nice lunches and a couple bottles of wine. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly and I still plan to hang and sleep on my hammock!

Central park is our favourite part of the ship.From 7.30am it is incredibly busy at Park cafe until 6 pm at night.Then there are people Al fresco dining at chops grill and Jamie's plus live music and a busy bar and the rising tide bar too.My opinion after once on Allure and 3 times on Harmony I would try and change to an OV balcony but I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

We cruised on Harmony for a b2b in February in a Boardwalk balcony near the aft. It was the first time we had cruised a mega ship and were uncertain if we would enjoy the location, but had gotten a good deal and liked the perks that went with the room. WE LOVED IT! We normally choose either ov balcony or JS and have especially enjoyed those facing the aft so we were surprised that we found the Boardwalk balcony so appealing. We could still see the water, enjoyed the "people watching", and found the location quiet once the balcony door was closed. As a matter of fact, we sat on our balcony more than we normally do. We will book a Boardwalk balcony the next time we cruise on a Mega ship.