Passport Question

I would try and get your passports. We have had ours for years and was so glad we did in 2012 when my DH was airlifted off the ship in Haiti and spent a week in the hospital in Dominican Republic. Without the enhanced DL you would not be able to fly and without the passport you would not be able to drive into Canada if you ever wanted to visit Niagara Falls. Passports do add to the cost of a vacation, but sure do give peace of mind.

Based on current events, limiting people coming into the US, and other countries talking about changing VISA requirements, etc, I would, most definitely, get the passport. Things are subject to change quite quickly in the international scene and having a passport is the safest bet, IMHO.

Steve

Just wanted to add that you should make sure that your driver's license will meet the requirements I think there are 8 or 9 states that do not and will not be able to use drivers licenses for air travel (and I am assuming this will be true for cruises as well). You don't want to wait until the last minute if that is that case. The state we just moved in is one of the ones involved so the news stories catch my attention sometimes.

We are also a family of 5, so I know how expensive family travel can be. We do have passports for everyone, but we do travel some out of the US. Honestly, I am not sure what I would do if I was just planning on the one cruise. I have a hard time parting with that much extra cash but I like being prepared for any possible circumstance. If I didn't have a passport I would be on the lucky cruise that gets stranded at sea and towed to Mexico and required to fly home, lol!

I believe they have extended time frame before we are not able to use driver's licenses to fly. I don't know how long though, but I do know that I also live in one of those states and was able to use my DL without issue when we attempted to fly in December. (I saw attempted because the trip got cancelled but we made it through security with 0 issues). We have passports anyway, so its not an issue, but I avoid using ours for flying domestically, as I have no need to carry my passport around.

Based on current events, limiting people coming into the US, and other countries talking about changing VISA requirements, etc, I would, most definitely, get the passport. Things are subject to change quite quickly in the international scene and having a passport is the safest bet, IMHO.

Steve

Limiting non-US citizens arriving via means other than a closed loop cruise.

I would try and get your passports. We have had ours for years and was so glad we did in 2012 when my DH was airlifted off the ship in Haiti and spent a week in the hospital in Dominican Republic. Without the enhanced DL you would not be able to fly and without the passport you would not be able to drive into Canada if you ever wanted to visit Niagara Falls. Passports do add to the cost of a vacation, but sure do give peace of mind.

Sorry to hear about your hubby and hope he recovered quickly but it seems to me that a week is plenty of time to make arrangements for the documentation required to return home. Of course some may not want the hassle of having to worry about that but for me the risk of something like that happening is low enough that I would be willing to risk it.

Sorry to hear about your hubby and hope he recovered quickly but it seems to me that a week is plenty of time to make arrangements for the documentation required to return home. Of course some may not want the hassle of having to worry about that but for me the risk of something like that happening is low enough that I would be willing to risk it.

In my wife's case, she had a medical issue that required urgent but not immediate care. The ship's doctors strongly recommended that we fly home from St. Lucia, our port stop the following day, and upon return we drove immediately from the airport to the hospital. Easy to do with our passports, but had we been Americans travelling without, our only option would have been for her to have her surgery in St. Lucia, not a prospect I would have wanted to face.

Only 36 percent of Americans hold a valid passport, according to the State Department, compared to 60 percent of passport-holding Canadians and 75 percent for Brits and Aussies. Given the very low cost of US passports, under a dollar a month for adult renewals, just over a dollar for an initial passport, that's about the cheapest form of "travel insurance" that you can buy.

Steve

Rick Steves, who is fairly knowledgeable in European travel, says the recent vote was symbolic and anything that might cause a change would take quite a while to accomplish. And symbolism aside, Europe doesn't want to stop Americans from traveling there.

So from their POV, from what he knows, nothing done will be quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wanted to add that you should make sure that your driver's license will meet the requirements I think there are 8 or 9 states that do not and will not be able to use drivers licenses for air travel (and I am assuming this will be true for cruises as well). You don't want to wait until the last minute if that is that case. The state we just moved in is one of the ones involved so the news stories catch my attention sometimes.

We are also a family of 5, so I know how expensive family travel can be. We do have passports for everyone, but we do travel some out of the US. Honestly, I am not sure what I would do if I was just planning on the one cruise. I have a hard time parting with that much extra cash but I like being prepared for any possible circumstance. If I didn't have a passport I would be on the lucky cruise that gets stranded at sea and towed to Mexico and required to fly home, lol!

I think the "Real ID" Drivers License requirement has been delayed again now until 2020. Know few states like Az had that issue, they now issuing a new Compliant one. I have an Enhanced Michigan''s Drivers license I use for Repo cruising....

I do live in Pennsylvania, and I am worried about that effecting our situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Missouri is another state that is bucking the federal government. Here the state legislature does not want to keep a data base for the federal government. I am glad my family has passports.

I think the "Real ID" Drivers License requirement has been delayed again now until 2020. Know few states like Az had that issue, they now issuing a new Compliant one. I have an Enhanced Michigan''s Drivers license I use for Repo cruising....

The sign in the Denver airport as of yesterday said January 2018.

The sign in the Denver airport as of yesterday said January 2018.

Not sure maybe your state hasn't requested another extension... Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel." As of January 2017, 26 states and territories have been certified as sufficiently compliant or making sufficient progress toward compliance, 25 have been granted extensions, and 5 have not been certified as sufficiently compliant or received extensions.

If you don't get passports and there is an emergency that would require you to fly home, you wouldn't be able to. Since you have a while, why not get passports for the adults now, then the minors later to spread out the expense.

I am also a PA resident so if Harrisburg doesn't get their butts in gear in the next months, I'm covered by my passport. Something to consider, there could be a delay if you wait because of that inaction. Pennsylvania isn't the only state that needs change the licenses - you don't want to pay extra to expedite your passports.

In my wife's case, she had a medical issue that required urgent but not immediate care. The ship's doctors strongly recommended that we fly home from St. Lucia, our port stop the following day, and upon return we drove immediately from the airport to the hospital. Easy to do with our passports, but had we been Americans travelling without, our only option would have been for her to have her surgery in St. Lucia, not a prospect I would have wanted to face.

Only 36 percent of Americans hold a valid passport, according to the State Department, compared to 60 percent of passport-holding Canadians and 75 percent for Brits and Aussies. Given the very low cost of US passports, under a dollar a month for adult renewals, just over a dollar for an initial passport, that's about the cheapest form of "travel insurance" that you can buy.

As the OP said, the cost of passports is considerable for his family, just as it was for mine. After examining the risks and our foreseeable travel needs (closed loop cruises only) we decided to wait to get passports until the day came that we could fly internationally and actually needed them. Again, not everyone is going to make the same decision, but it is still a viable decision. Receiving medical care in a foreign hospital is the risk someone takes when traveling.

If you don't get passports and there is an emergency that would require you to fly home, you wouldn't be able to.

You'll be able to, but you will need to enlist the State Department's help in doing so, so at worst you are looking at a delay in returning home. You will still get home.

You'll be able to, but you will need to enlist the State Department's help in doing so, so at worst you are looking at a delay in returning home. You will still get home.
Yes, but don't forget (possibly) delayed medical treatment (or treatment at an inferior facility), and additional hotel and food costs while you wait for days for approval.

If it is going to be for just this cruise only, I would use Government ID's and Birth Certificates myself!
Yes, under these circumstances, I'd do the same.

You also might want to consider a passport card.
I wouldn't opt for a passport card -- they're kind of useless for cruise purposes. Unlike the Driver's License and Birth Certificate, they aren't free (well, I'm assuming you already have these documents -- most people do) and they expire. Unlike the passport, they're useless for air travel. So ... no point at all in going with the passport card. Not for a cruise anyway; the passport card is designed for people who live within driving distance of Mexico or Canada.

We had the same issue so bought one a month for six months. Also an enhanced driver's license (not for kids obviously) will work the same as a passport card, at least according to the CBP/ICE www site. However, not all states issue them.
I see no point in "spreading out the cost". This just means you're filling out paperwork every month (instead of just getting it done), and you're spending more postage /watching the mailbox more often -- why make more work for yourself? And then what do you have? A bunch of passports that'll expire at different times, which is bound to cause confusion in the future. If you're talking about kids' passports, which are more trouble to get, you're really talking about a lot of trouble.

No, if you're going to get passports, get them all at once. It only makes sense:

If you genuinely don't have the money, I'd ask whether you can afford to cruise.

If you don't think you're going to use the passports again and just don't want to spend the money, then spreading out the cost really isn't the issue.

It's funny how you might think "it's only for this cruise". I bet that won't be the case.
Could be ... but why should they invest $700 today on something that might happen? If they decide to plan an international trip, passports will still be available later.

I wouldn't worry about cruise documentation rules changing any time soon -- and, if they do, they certainly won't change quickly. There's no precedent of cruise ship travelers posing a threat to the country, so Congress isn't likely to make changes; and the cruise ship industry would fight against any new regulations (which would might cost them money).

Yes' date=' but don't forget (possibly) delayed medical treatment (or treatment at an inferior facility), and additional hotel and food costs while you wait for days for approval.[/quote']Keep in mind that even if you do have a passport, you're probably not going to be able to fly home: 1) You must wait 'til you reach an island (and some of those islands are American soil, meaning you don't need a passport anyway). 2) You must hope you can get a last minute plane ticket home, and IF tickets are available, they'll be a premium price. 3) You'll pay a fine for leaving the cruise early. 4) If you have a medical emergency, you'll face a difficult question: Flying home means delaying treatment /subjecting yourself to the physical stresses of multiple flights ... vs. being treated in another country (not necessarily a 3rd world country) ... vs. being treated onboard and seeking more treatment once you return to your home port. Your choices would vary widely depending upon whether you were on the last full day of a short quiz vs. the third day of a transcontinental. Your choice would also depend upon your injury; if you were to break a bone, for example, the ship's doctor can set it ... and even if you were home, you wouldn't get your cast for a couple days. On the other hand, if you have a heart attack, they'd send you to the nearest hospital regardless of your documentation ... and your problems with getting home would occur a couple days later when you're dismissed from the hospital ... and by that point your companions could've dealt with any legal issues you might face. These very real obstacles and costs will keep people from flying home unless it's a very big emergency ... and it's smart to consider reality and the entire situation, not just fearful comments.

The bottom line: Consider seriously your own circumstances. The "risks" of cruising with a Government ID and Birth Certificate are monumentally small. If you're doing other international travel, yeah, you need the passport -- get it. Make your decision based upon facts, not fear.

:confused: to whom? Maybe PVSA if you disembark at another US port but even that might be waived.

Its a guess. If you miss the ship in the US and reboard at another port in the US, does it count as two separate voyages? They count it as one voyage if you do a b2b that starts and ends in a different us port.

My guess is they would charge the cruise and the cruise passes the fine to you via your account if the fine wasn't waived.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"If you don't get passports and there is an emergency that would require you to fly home, you wouldn't be able to..." until you sit through the bureaucracy and pay the expedited fee (for what is likely a limited-time passport) and get one.

Perhaps you meant to include that, but for clarity I thought it was important.

I love passports, I think they are important, but we don't need to accidentally or on purpose cause people to think that if you don't have one and you have to fly home you'll never get home. :) It'll just take a bit of time sitting in a government official's chair. Heck, just getting an emergency passport in Vancouver BC could take some time if you hit it on the wrong weekend. A year or so ago someone thought they might need one (they left their passports on the plane but luckily they were found), but it had been a BC holiday and then a US holiday, so the embassy was closed to anything but absolute emergencies of the sort that involved a jail cell. Getting an emergency passport was NOT going to happen over that very long weekend. So it's not just island nations where you might end up waiting.

I also love that states have rights and think it's hilarious that so many states are bucking the system. Good for them! Alas I have a passport and NEXUS so it's not something that'll impact me, though I do think that WA is one of those naughty states. :)

The bottom line: Consider seriously your own circumstances. The "risks" of cruising with a Government ID and Birth Certificate are monumentally small. If you're doing other international travel, yeah, you need the passport -- get it. Make your decision based upon facts, not fear.

Glad you got it all figured out for us, thanks.

:confused: to whom? Maybe PVSA if you disembark at another US port but even that might be waived.

Check out the Jones Act. Or was it Jones Law?

Glad you got it all figured out for us, thanks.

Your sarcasm implies you are against people considering their own circumstances and making a decision based upon the facts?

If you miss the ship in the US and reboard at another port in the US, does it count as two separate voyages? They count it as one voyage if you do a b2b that starts and ends in a different us port.

No, people board downline quite often, the PVSA fine only applies if you disembark early (at another US port and have not been to a distant port, like ABC islands), not embark late. The statement about B2B might be true but those are very rare for the PVSA rule, but they are separate voyages as far as RCI is concerned.