What exciting things to I need to know for my very first Neptune Suite!!

kakalina

I will be sailing on the Niew Amsterdam next month and am very fortunate to have received a killer deal on a Neptune Suite. :eek:

I will be in cabin 7047 directly across from the Neptune Lounge. I am 5 star so already get the laundry done. What other goodies can I expect?

Are there any secrets it would be good to know. I want to quiver with anticipation. :D

HI Kakalina,

Great News. The best I liked about these cabins was the large flat screen TV in the upgraded suites; no more need to use binoculars in cabin to watch "old" TV :D, and the Lounge. Spent lots of time in the Lounge eating daily "goodies".

Hope to see you soon on one of those Dam Ships !

Rick & Connie

My favorite things was having breakfast in the lounge quietly in the lounge with other suite passengers. Never missed the Lido on that trip. Also having your own concierge to make specialty reservations was a plus.

One more thing that will not be a problem on your ship.

Our first cruise in a Neptune Suite was two years ago on the Statendam in Alaska. It was very interesting to find the safe for the suite to be located at the back of the cabinet next to the outside window on the bottom shelf. You had to get on your hands and knees to get in and out of the safe.

I called the safe " Senior Proof " 😊

Good for you kakalina, and glad to see you are taking care of your self on this upcoming cruise. I think you will like this perk very much since it adds a special sense of intimacy to the cruise experience - small gatherings and special dining or cocktail events with fellow suites guests and officers.

Don't overlook the free dry cleaning, so if some of your special outfits need a freshening up, this is the time to do it. We saw a delivery cart go by with at least a half dozen mens suits coming back from the "laundry". Suspect someone filled their suitcase ahead of time just to take advantage of that perk.

I never go to the Lido buffet for breakfast or dinner when we have a Neptune suite, except when we want a leisurely Pinnacle breakfast - I like just grazing on the small bites that are always available. Also a the lounge is a good place to hang out while your cabin is getting done in the morning if there are no other activities you want to attend and want to give the cabin stewards some time to get this daily task done.

The first night there will be a champagne reception before dinner in the NL. We were so zonked from our red-eye flight (never again) we did not notice the invitation and missed it. So be sure to sort through all the envelopes that are waiting for you in your cabin after you arrive.

I just sent this to a friend:

Now that you have a full suite, I thought that I would send you some tips on what to expect.

First, when you enter the check-in area you will see a sign for Neptune suites - get in that line for VIP check-in. They should direct you to a special area for VIP cruisers which will allow you to board before everyone else. If you do not see the Neptune/VIP sign, ask one of the many HAL reps that will be around. It is nice to be one of the first people on-board, to check things out before the crowds.

Once on-board we normally go to the Neptune Lounge and introduce ourselfs to the concierges (there are two). This is a good time to ask them any questions you have or to get them to book dinner reservations, shore excursions, etc. for you (they will get very busy the first day later on).

Next onto your cabin - it should be ready for you. You should see a bottle of champagne on the bar for you from the Captain. As I mentioned, you can exchange it for something else in the Neptune Lounge - just ask them what your options are as you do not drink that stuff.

In your cabin (On the bar or bed) there likely will be some invitations and announcements. Read them carefully. There should be a special cocktail hour for the Neptune passengers only (at 7 PM) held either in the Neptune Lounge or another meeting room. If you do not see this, ask the concierge. Sometimes the ship's officers attend, which is nice (you do not need to dress up, just slacks and golf shirt are fine).

Also in your cabin you will find robes, slippers, umbrella and binoculars for your use (they stay with the cabin other than the slippers of course).

Other things you get - priority tendering (which can be nice to get off the ship before the crowds) - just go to the tender area and show them your room card and they let you on right away. Also priority disembarkation (you fill out a form early in the cruise as to your travel plans, but you get to be in the first group off, except for the people who are carrying their own luggage off. Also, free laundry service - use everyday if you wish, but we do not send in expensive or delicate items.

Later in the cruise you likely will be invited to another cocktail party around 7 PM for Neptunes and VIPs, hosted by the Captain and other officers. Like the first party, they pass around trays of wine and champagne, but just ask for whatever drink you want and they will get it for you. You likely also will be invited to the Mariner Lunch on one of the sea days - this is a nice event and they give you a "tile" of the ship.

As I mentioned, the concierges will make any reservations for you, but if you do it yourself, be sure to show the person your Gold cabin card for better service.

You might also want to have dinner one (or more) nights on your balcony. You can order off of the main dining room menu for that evening (you should get menus each day in your cabin). Easiest way to do this is just to tell the concierge what and when you want to do this and give her your order earlier in the day - let her do the calling in for you (if you call room service for this you must do it the first hour they are open for dinner).

One very nice feature of being in a Neptune is that you can have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill each morning - it is only for Neptunes, so it is very nice and quiet and the service is great. If you do room service breakfast, they have some special items just for Neptunes, plus you each get a glass of Mimosa.

As to the Neptune Lounge - it is open from around 7am - 8 PM (varies by ship), so check hours. You can pop in anytime for a snack, coffee, cappacino, expresso, juice and other items (varies by time of day). You can take this back to your cabin or just sit around the lounge and visit with other Neptunes or by yourself. There is a TV in there and computer (but you pay for internet time).

Good for you kakalina, and glad to see you are taking care of your self on this upcoming cruise. I think you will like this perk very much since it adds a special sense of intimacy to the cruise experience - small gatherings and special dining or cocktail events with fellow suites guests and officers.

Don't overlook the free dry cleaning, so if some of your special outfits need a freshening up, this is the time to do it. We saw a delivery cart go by with at least a half dozen mens suits coming back from the "laundry". Suspect someone filled their suitcase ahead of time just to take advantage of that perk.

I never go to the Lido buffet for breakfast or dinner when we have a Neptune suite, except when we want a leisurely Pinnacle breakfast - I like just grazing on the small bites that are always available. Also a the lounge is a good place to hang out while your cabin is getting done in the morning if there are no other activities you want to attend and want to give the cabin stewards some time to get this daily task done.

The first night there will be a champagne reception before dinner in the NL. We were so zonked from our red-eye flight (never again) we did not notice the invitation and missed it. So be sure to sort through all the envelopes that are waiting for you in your cabin after you arrive.

great question Kakalina.

Thanks for the tips OlsSalt. Keep them coming!!!!!:cool:

Be sure to identify which drawers in the cabin you actually leave empty, so you don't bother opening them when you are looking for something later. Hee, hee.

(Yes, you just might have too much storage space in a Neptune suite. The R and S ships are the most generous, and the NA was more like a expanded verandah SS suite on a Vista ship, but these Neptune cabins always leave us with a few empty drawers.)

You can have a coffee or espresso in cabin with provided coffee pot, free hors d'oeuvres, upon request can be delivered to your cabin every day.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle and we loved the new offer of French Pressed Coffee and the new breakfast menu.

Verandha table is large enough to enjoy outdoor dining.

In most cases Neptune Consierge can handle just about any reasonable request.

Congratulations and enjoy your Neptune Suite experience.

As mentioned, the concierge service is excellent and one of the big benefits of a Neptune Suite. Don't make the mistake we did on our first NS many years ago - we never even used the NS services as we had no clue what it was all about. Those folks are there to handle any of your needs - and that includes issues/problems you encounter in general.

Augmenting what has been said, we always go in early in the morning before we go down for breakfast and get a couple of cups of coffee from the coffee machine - it provides espresso, cappuccino, latte, normal american coffee etc - the key is that the quality of coffee is much better than Lido. Also, they have breakfast stuff out that some folks use as their breakfast. Later in the morning, they put out lunch type foods. At about 4pm or so they put evening snacks.

You will love it ..

harryu

It all sounds wonderful although I don't drink coffee I assume there is hot water for tea in the lounge.

Hot water and premium tea bags in the lounge. And just the right array of nibbles for an elegant tea - little cookies, french macaroon filled tea cookies, little chocolates,

You might be able to get just hot water out of the in room coffee maker, as it is pre-filled with water. Just don't put in the coffee pod and let the heated water drain on through to the cup. No guarantees this could work, but maybe you could ask ....or experiment with a lot of towels handy, if it leaks instead. :o

We do spend a lot more of our time in the cabin when we get a Neptune suite.

There is now also an honor bar in the Neptune Lounge, same prices as the public bars for sodas, beer, wine or hard liquor with several standard mixes. You fill out a slip ...on your honor .... and it gets charged to your account. So if the spirt moves you to have a G&T on your balcony as the sun goes down, you save a trip to the bar to get one.

It all sounds wonderful although I don't drink coffee I assume there is hot water for tea in the lounge.

I really like the teas in the Neptune Lounge. I usually bring a bag the odd night to enjoy in the MDR. The waiters are used to it and the concierges don't mind ;)

Congrats on the score kakalina - so happy for you :)

Everyone has covered a lot of stuff, so I will just add a bit.

JME (just my experience), the concierges are usually overwhelmed as people board and come in. Unless I need something immediately, I wait a bit to ask anything I need. The one exception of course, is the Master Chef's Table if that is of interest to you.

Like others, I like the PG for breakfast. It's also easy to amend / make reservations for dinner (assuming there are openings) or book lunch while you are there.

There is a Continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge - lots of choices and good for a port day if you have an early start. After breakfast, there is a lunch munchie thing and hors' d'hoeuvres available around 3 pm if memory serves.

there will be a welcome letter in your cabin from the HD. Keep it. It has the hours of the Neptune Lounge for port days and sea days and the invite to the reception.

The nicest thing is the space. But the perks are meant to be used - so go for it :)

Congratulations on obtaining such a stateroom!

Others who have posted clearly identify what you ought to expect and try to use the services available.

I actually "got into trouble" with one of the Concierges when he saw me at the Front Office resolving a trivial matter. "Why did you not let me do that(!) for you?" It was service that I did not expect.

Personally, I did not enjoy Breakfast in the PG. It was too formal and stilted for my taste. Breakfast on my veranda is what I prefer, regardless whatever stateroom category I reserve.

Thank you for posting this! We are in a Neptune suite on the Zaandam in Alaska. This is our first time on Holland America and we are very excited to learn all we can. Can we expect all of the same things on the Zaandam?

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

You will have a different setting for your Neptune breakfast than the ship were are presently discussing, the Nieuw Amsterdam - it will be either the upper main dining room, or an interior Pinnacle Grill setting - where their are no exterior sea facing windows, but very lovely and gracious space anyway. We actually much preferred this interior setting, over the upper dining room when we had Neptune breakfast privileges on a Zaandam class ships - the Volendam.

Great disappointment when on the Zaandam they sent us up to the main dining room instead as we eagerly reported for our first "Pinnacle" breakfast. However, this final choice of setting may differ depending on the ship, the Hotel Manager, the Pinnacle Manager or maybe even Seattle. Just be prepared for a special breakfast setting regardless, so which ever one you get you won't be disappointed.

BTW: we loved the overall decor and feeling of the Zaandam - our favorite of them all in this class ship.

What if you are in a suite and you have friends on the ship in a window cabin. Can they come to the parties with you or use any of the extra's you get?

Thanks

No, this would not be fair to the other premium paying suite guests. Nothing wrong with your friends, but your other suite passengers made a choice and paid to keep this over-all Neptune experience smaller and more intimate.

However, you can entertain your friends in your own Neptune cabin and order in-cabin appetizers for yourself as a Neptune perk, which are easily generous enough for your friends as well. Good time to open your complimentary bottle of sparkling. There should be enough glasses in the room, and if not they can bring the ones from their cabin.

Congratulations on your good deal, OP. Mom and I got a nice up sell on a Neptune Suite on the Volendam last summer. Previous posters have covered the bases. I'll add two thoughts. First, my favorite afternoon/evening appetizer was the egg salad on toast. Who thought egg salad could be that good? Second, the downside of the Neptune Lounge was the Neptune Suite cruise was the only cruise on which I've gained weight. Those extra nibbles, plus not having to walk all the way to the Lido every time I wanted a glass of water or tea, made a difference.

Again, congratulations and Bon voyage.

Vicki

The previous posters covered things very well - I was just going to add that on the Koningsdam, we had the sparkling wine, but also 2 bottles of Perrier and 3 bottles of a still water. We weren't sure if they were all complementary, but we finished them by the end of the 10 days and weren't charged for the waters. If you have water in the cabin, you could ask the cabin stewards or the NL concierges if yours are complementary.

It's very nice to have the extra space, especially the large bathroom, but it's the perks that make it worthwhile for us. On the K'dam, the concierges were especially friendly and helpful, so we were over there numerous times per day for coffee, snacks, conversation with the concierges, reading the Times Digest, etc.

What if you are in a suite and you have friends on the ship in a window cabin. Can they come to the parties with you or use any of the extra's you get?

Thanks

Short answer - NO. It could quickly get out of hand, so I respect HAL for saying no in this situation.