Who was your worst nextdoor neighbor on a cruise?

Jezo

I don't think we've had any bad experiences with neighbors in the 10+ cruises we've done with NCL, but my parents have some horror stories. The worst is that there was a guy who was clearly beating his wife every night in the cabin next door and she was crying and such. My dad kept calling security, but they'd somehow stop before security got there. They'd check in, not hear anything, and say there was nothing they could do. NCL ultimately did nothing about it, which is kind of scary. You'd think with something like that they would have someone hang out a while so they could catch it happening.

Horrible.

Fortunately, I have never had a problem with the neighbors.

I did make a rookie mistake when booking our first NCL cruise on the Dawn. Spring Break Week!

Some of the kids were already "fried" before they got to check -in, and there were a lot of very drunk people in the public areas.

We did strike up a conversation with another couple while awaiting disembark. They told us that housekeeping had to shampoo the hall carpet near their cabin every morning.

Also listened to a young thing brag about how she had stiffed the room steward (before pre-paid gratuities) out of a tip.

I would loved to see some of the bar bills at the end of that trip.

we had one couple that shagged on their balcony a few times at 2 or 3 am. woke us up, but we went back to sleep. we only heard it as we sleep with hte door open. had our door been shut, we probably wouldnt have heard them.

fortunately, nothing unbearable. we also have been lucky that we never had smokers that ruined our balcony experience (both pre-and post no smoking rules). We dont really ever use the balcony anyway, but we do like the door open and nothing worse than smoke smell. But again, we've been lucky.

A chain smoking cigar smoker who smoked on balcony and in cabin ...my cabin reeked ..I could not go on my balcony if he was there ...that whole area of the ship reeked of his dreadful cigar .....many crew members came to che k the area and the smell

I did get compensated by Princess though but it was sreadful experience ...Thank God smoking is no longer allowed incabins or balconies

On a Carnival cruise in 2013 we had the McSlamstein family all around us. Parents, late teen kids and teen kids. One room next to us and two across from us. They would constantly go back and forth between the 3 rooms and out onto the balcony next to ours so we would hear door 1 slam, door 2 slam, door 3 slam, balcony door slam. Lather, rinse, repeat. Luckily this didn't happen in the middle of the night but it was an every day occurrence. Very annoying. They would also meet up in the hall every time they went somewhere. We had our "Snoozin'" sign on the door one night as a hint, the oldest son proceeded to make up a song and sing "They're snoozin', yeah" totally not understanding that this meant to be quiet, not start singing!

We had our "Snoozin'" sign on the door one night as a hint, the oldest son proceeded to make up a song and sing "They're snoozin', yeah" totally not understanding that this meant to be quiet, not start singing!

i feel like maybe he understood. ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5/2016 - Baltic Capitals- Norwegian Star - Penthouse Suite with Balcony

First day on ship: my 86 year old mother, 21 year old niece and I get yelled at by our German neighbor for talking on our balcony during sail away. Talking, not yelling or carrying on. I admit the acoustics of those inset balconies are rough...but come on.

Later, we use balcony again (using whisper voices) only to smell neighbor smoking illegally on balcony. Too bad you yelled at me Herr Smoker, I call to report.

Herr Smoker did all of the following to us: ( I kid you not):

Threw bread on sail away: he threw it part to seagulls part on our balcony trying to scare us off our balcony in some sort of remake of Hitchcock's "The Birds". You know how many seagulls come when you throw bread? 100s.

Cranked up "Scrubs" in German to the point of distortion and left it playing on his balcony while we were on ours. (He couldn't stand the sound and went in his room). We toughed it out until his battery died or the episode ended. Something made it go quiet.

Body checked me at the pool bar when I went to get a little liquid relief (I believe I chose Moscow Mules) from my awful neighbor. And no, he did not say excuse me, even though I said "Excuse me?"

Smoked on his balcony AGAIN after I had reported him the first time when he thought we were still ashore.

I asked to be moved to another room (there wasn't one available) or told them they would need to compensate me for the up-charge of the balcony since he was trying to intimidate us off of our balcony.

They finally talked some sense into him and the last at sea day we were in peace.

5/2016 - Baltic Capitals- Norwegian Star - Penthouse Suite with Balcony

Threw bread on sail away: he threw it part to seagulls part on our balcony trying to scare us off our balcony in some sort of remake of Hitchcock's "The Birds". You know how many seagulls come when you throw bread? 100s.

Holly,

I actually have a picture of this "seagull" incident. We were on the same cruise as you just a few doors down. Our suite had a cool configuration so we had floor to ceiling windows that gave us a forward facing as well as side facing view.

We were in our room looking out as we were pulling away from one of the ports when my husband commented on these seagulls going crazy. I remember laughing a few weeks later when reading your Baltic cruise review that we were probably witnesses to this event.

Well wouldn't you know it, a few weeks ago I glanced up at our our digital picture frame (where hubby download all our cruise photos) and there are the seagulls in question. He completely forgot that he snapped a picture.

As soon as I figure out how to transfer the picture from the digital picture frame to my iPad I will post it for you.

We were on The Disney Magic in 2014. It was actually our first cruise. On the 2nd day our cabin Stewart asked us what time we wanted the room turned down, I said anytime before 10, we were out for the evening. He smiled and said, ,'no problem, yours takes 5 min'. Then he pointed to the room opposite and said '1 hour'.

I wasn't sure what he meant as there was only 2 honeymooners in that cabin and we were 4. Well the next morning I came out of my cabin whilst that one was being cleaned. I was disgusted, it was sooo dirty. It looked like they had ordered the entire room service menu overnight and basically thrown it round the room. Broken plate, stained sheets, I couldn't see one area the the ground that wasn't covered in crap. It was way over the top, not honeymoon fun, just wilful destruction.

I felt so sorry for the steward but a bit pissed as well. We were paying twice the gratuities than that couple and because we kept our room relatively neat and we were getting less attention.

Then on the 4th day when I came back to the room the male honeymooner was berating our poor steward aggressively and loudly. It was awful, this man was more than twice the size of the steward. I actually half pushed the steward into our cabin claiming some emergency and locked the door behind us. I made him wait till the guest had gone before leaving.

We ended up leaving him a big extra tip cause of all that crap he had to deal with. I wanted to report it but he asked me not to so I didn't.

Some people in this world are just greedy and disgusting and think the world revolves around them. I just try and take a deep breath and ignore them.

DW and I were on the BTB inaugural cruise on the Escape in 2015. The first was a booze cruise, 3 day to Nassau, the second leg was a 7 day Eastern Carib. We were in a aft facing Balcony. The dude next to us turned out to be a drug dealer from Miami. He left his wife and kids at home, and brought his second squeeze. He was very loud, and always on the phone, while in port, with his wife back at home, telling her where to find his stash, and extra money. We heard him to tell her to get the 10 large out from under the mattress, and make sure to bring his pistol when she came to pick him up. He was always yelling at the kids and his second baby moma. DW and I just made sure to keep clear of them, and stay low. Thankfully, they were no on the second leg.

The Breakaway, 14 Day Eastern Caribbean, January - February 2017..

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"F*!K YOU!!!!!!!!!!!"

"OH MY GOD!!"

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!"

**walls get banged**

*doors slam*

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

She screamed as she ran down the hallway, this was 2 or 3 AM, I really don't remember as time doesn't exist when it's that early, or is that late? Security got called, security showed up, we ended up with free laundry, wine, and strawberries. Quite exciting.

Other nights there were parties and yelling, but nothing like that night described above.

I finally did see the guy, in a hot tub, I asked him what the heck happened, and like the jerk he was, denied the whole thing and said he had no idea what I was talking about.

"Is that why everyone on the floor looks at me with disgust and acts like they hate me?"

"Sure is, it was chaos that night, man."

We've never experienced anything like that on any of our trips. That room was completely out of control and no one will ever know what happened the night the woman ran screaming down the hallway. But hey, we got some free stuff out of it so it's all good.

So, who has a more exciting story than that?

We had neighbors much like that with a "I'm going to kill you" thrown in the mix. Security showed up very shortly after that...

Was on NCL Jewel in November and didn't know I had a cabin with a connecting door. The couple in the room had a 1 1/2 year old boy who screamed from the minute he got on the ship until he fell asleep from exhaustion from screaming and crying. He played with the door handle all the time he was in the room screaming. I finally went to Guest Services on the third day. A rep came to my room and listened and went and talked to them but it did no good. For 7 straight days that kid cried and screamed, made him sick from doing it so much he couldn't hold down food. It ruined my cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stories like these are one of my greatest fear, both on ships and in hotels.

Our funniest was a man who smoked a cigar on his balcony from dawn to dust. Finally my husband politely (for him) told the guy it wasn't allowed and to cut it out or he'd report him.. From then on, whenever he knew we were on the balcony we'd be treated to a performance of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall." He once did all 99 verses before he figured out it wasn't working.

Another time the couple next door kept trying to open the connecting door. He'd say, "It must be some kind of closet."

There was the "giggler." A pair of 20-something guys next door picked up a couple 20-something girls and they would sit on the balcony for hours. Or maybe it was just two of them while the other coupled "used" the room. Anyway, one of the girls we called the "Giggler." I'm not sure I actually heard her ever say any real words. She would just giggle at whatever any of the others said. Maybe alcohol was involved.

We had four 20-something guys in the cabin next to us with four 20-something guys in the cabin across the hall. Of course, the balcony cabin was party central. I finally got tired of it and after one night of all night party I would alternate calling the two cabins every hour on the hour. Didn't help but made me feel better.

In a hotel once the room next to us was, I swear, being used as a day care center. There had to be a dozen kids in there. Don't know which was worse, the kids screaming and crying or the adult screaming at them to shut up.

We never had a problem with the cabins next to us on our cruises but on one cruise there were 4 guys in their 20s, loud, obnoxious party people. The first 3days they were hammered and causing all sorts of havoc where ever they went. The next morning we landed in a port

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry about the send before finishing. They got off and headed to the nearest bar and spent the entire day there and by 4PM boarding time they were passed out and the ship personal said to leave them there and we sailed out without them. Probably the most expensive drunk they ever had

Probably the guy that would pee off of his balcony, every morning when we would be drinking our coffee. We would call security, they would come up and talk to him, he would apologize and then it would happen the next day.

One of the kids thought I should video it and show it to security and I said no thank you.

Probably the guy that would pee off of his balcony, every morning when we would be drinking our coffee. We would call security, they would come up and talk to him, he would apologize and then it would happen the next day.

One of the kids thought I should video it and show it to security and I said no thank you.

I think we may have a winner...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Forums mobile app

On our Celebrity Infinity Around the Horn cruise in 2014, we had neighbors (the next two cabins upwind from ours) that were smoking on their balconies.

I tried to communicate with them, but they responded in German. When they didn't stop smoking, I called the front desk. That didn't bring anyone, so I called the room steward, who got the housing manager involved. Still, for four or five days, in one cabin or the other, someone was smoking. Of course, the smoke came right back to us.

Finally, the Housing Manager came for a long visit and explained that the culprits had been warned in writing, that they were subject to a $2000 fine or being kicked off the ship. The smoking stopped, until the new to last day, when it started up again. Again, I complained, but the Housing Manager said that had no proof (other than my statement). I think since the cruise was coming to an end they took the easy way out.

Next time, I will try to take a photo and have proof.

Eeeewwww! You definitely win. :eek:

I forgot about the guy who would come out on his balcony on one side of us and yell for family who was two or three cabins to the other side of us. He'd yell to see if they were up yet, yell to see if they were ready for a meal or just yell to see if they were in their cabin.

Fortunately, I have never had a problem with the neighbors.

I did make a rookie mistake when booking our first NCL cruise on the Dawn. Spring Break Week!

Some of the kids were already "fried" before they got to check -in, and there were a lot of very drunk people in the public areas.

We did strike up a conversation with another couple while awaiting disembark. They told us that housekeeping had to shampoo the hall carpet near their cabin every morning.

Also listened to a young thing brag about how she had stiffed the room steward (before pre-paid gratuities) out of a tip.

I would loved to see some of the bar bills at the end of that trip.

My wife and I are both 60 years old. We just returned from a "spring break" cruise on the Epic. Even with the open bar we were amazed at how calm and subdued everyone was. I mean there were some drunk people but nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to cruising. BTW after 10 cruises on Carnival, all of them good, my first NCL cruise was definitely the best by at least two notches.