$7.95 Room Service Charge

Doubt it will be refunded, as it is clearly stated on room service menu. We haven't ordered this week, but may next week. Burgers at Barefoot Beach seemed better, so maybe John had a Wagyu beef burger and didn't know it!;p;p

Also, to answer another's question about how many orders for the charge, menu states: served 11 am - 6 am, room service menu has a service fee of $7.95 per room delivery.

Still haven't seen actual breakfast menu, but we have dined for breakfast in Chops and been well pleased.

I would ask the concierge onboard - according to this article suites are not charged for it.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7647

What amazes me is this quote: "This was introduced to manage the high demand [for room service]," Royal Caribbean representative Lyan Sierra-Caro explained.

Ok, if there is high demand then maybe it's something the customer likes. Amazing - one of the reasons I won't cruise RCCL. And I know people say that all the time but I used to sail them, haven't in quite a few years and was looking to go back. The more I hear the less I want to - I'll stay with Celebrity for now. At least the parent company will still get my money - lol

What amazes me is this quote: "This was introduced to manage the high demand [for room service]," Royal Caribbean representative Lyan Sierra-Caro explained. Ok, if there is high demand then maybe it's something the customer likes.
I don't understand what you were getting at. If customers like something, that means that they value it, and if there's high demand that means that they value it far more than the price of it (i.e., complementary, in this case, at least during the day). Value-based pricing would dictate to increase the price based on an analysis of consumer price sensitivity to just the level consumers place its value. That's pricing optimization in a nutshell. Sure, some people might respond negatively, but you could turn up the lights a notch and some people would respond negatively. The challenge is to understand the customers well enough to separate out the anecdotal complaints from the overall customer sentiment about value, and abide by the later ignoring the former.

Amazing - one of the reasons I won't cruise RCCL.
Who are you cruising instead? Or more specifically, which cruise line offers roughly what RCCL offers for roughly the same price, without engaging in standard business optimization like this?

The more I hear the less I want to - I'll stay with Celebrity for now. At least the parent company will still get my money - lol
That's a win-win. Everyone is happy. When we booked a cruise for this fall with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity wanted almost double for their 7 night cruise as Royal Caribbean wanted for their six night cruise. So if you can afford that premium for having everything included, including lots of things that perhaps you won't avail yourself, more power to you - sincerely. We just aren't in that position, financially.

Who are you cruising instead? Or more specifically, which cruise line offers roughly what RCCL offers for roughly the same price, without engaging in standard business optimization like this?

A few posts ago.... MCS

I posted on another thread a couple of days ago the price gap between Oceania and RCL is ridiculously small at this time, and in fact their superior Cuba itineraries are less per diem than RCL when you include the paying for a drink package on RCL as Oceania is all inclusive cruising.

(p.s. oh right..... this is a "room service thread"... Oceania room service is free 24/7 :))

Just boarded Liberty today and can confirm the new menu with charge is in place.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That's unexpected! There is that FB picture that shows Liberty not until May 9th!!! Argh! The on again off again nature is driving me bonkers! We cruise next week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few posts ago....
Alas neither offered comparable cruises to my destination ports that week for comparable prices.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

A few posts ago.... MCS

I posted on another thread a couple of days ago the price gap between Oceania and RCL is ridiculously small at this time, and in fact their superior Cuba itineraries are less per diem than RCL when you include the paying for a drink package on RCL as Oceania is all inclusive cruising.

(p.s. oh right..... this is a "room service thread"... Oceania room service is free 24/7 :))

Who the hell would want to cruise to Cuba.

I don't understand what you were getting at. If customers like something, that means that they value it, and if there's high demand that means that they value it far more than the price of it (i.e., complementary, in this case, at least during the day). Value-based pricing would dictate to increase the price based on an analysis of consumer price sensitivity to just the level consumers place its value. That's pricing optimization in a nutshell.

So, you are saying "managing high demand" is about profit control, not staff workload control as stated by Royal. Unlikely! Most of the changes Royal (and other lines) is working toward is reduced staffs, not satisfying customers. I see this move as discouraging a popular service with a purposeful intention to ease customers into less expectation of the service on future cruises. Charging for the service but not totally cutting it saves the risk of a rebellion. After all Royal's competition is still providing room service.

We aren't to far from Main Dining Room services getting replace by higher scale buffets. That will allow a huge reduction in staff.

Burt

So, you are saying "managing high demand" is about profit control, not staff workload control as stated by Royal. Unlikely!
I did not say "managing high demand is about profit control". You probably would be better off letting my words speak for themselves rather than trying to twist them into something you can argue against.

*Business* is about profit. What is your problem with that?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I did not say "managing high demand is about profit control". You probably would be better off letting my words speak for themselves rather than trying to twist them into something you can argue against.

*Business* is about profit. What is your problem with that?

Problem? I was being frank, not critical.

I simply disagree with your opinion because it doesn't fit Royals past performance, and doesn't make good business sense, in my opinion.

Burt

That's unexpected! There is that FB picture that shows Liberty not until May 9th!!! Argh! The on again off again nature is driving me bonkers! We cruise next week!!!

I don't know what FB picture you are referring to but if you log into your account and click "Beverage and Dining Options", followed by "Room Service", you can see the menu and the rollout. I tried to take a screenshot but it won't let me upload it except horizontally which is impossible to read. Sorry but Liberty = April 2.

I'm late to the party on this, because I just saw a notice when I logged in for my online check-in.

What a Royal bummer! Sitting on our balcony and having lunch delivered was always a treat, but not an $8 treat! I wish they had copied sister Celebrity, where certain items were still free (gratuity only) and only if you wanted the expanded menu did you have to pay for it.

I'm lucky that Voyager OTS is the last to get the rollout and it's after my cruise.

Has anyone experienced capacity controls? The spiteful man that lives inside me figures that if I wanted room service enough, I'd order 8 burgers on top of whatever I actually wanted to eat, and just waste it.

I don't know what FB picture you are referring to but if you log into your account and click "Beverage and Dining Options", followed by "Room Service", you can see the menu and the rollout. I tried to take a screenshot but it won't let me upload it except horizontally which is impossible to read. Sorry but Liberty = April 2.

e it.

Maybe its because as you said, you were late to the party - but If you scroll up on this page to see the posts from Biker that show the schedule, you will see the updated schedule Royal posted that changed Liberty from April 2 to May 9th (14th really)...

Maybe its because as you said, you were late to the party - but If you scroll up on this page to see the posts from Biker that show the schedule, you will see the updated schedule Royal posted that changed Liberty from April 2 to May 9th (14th really)...

I was looking directly at RoyalCaribbean.com tonight... You're saying their Facebook page is more up to date? That's weird.

I was looking directly at RoyalCaribbean.com tonight... You're saying their Facebook page is more up to date? That's weird.

Yes - their FB page is almost always more current...there are many IT jokes around here for a reason!

After the original dates posted on their website (4/1, 4/2 etc) came and went with no roll out, they had to update the roll out schedule. They posted it on FB in response to questions. Most ships had a modest adjustment - with Florida departures shifting a week or so - But Liberty had a BIG shift into May based on that reply.

I will be on RCL for the first time in May via Liberty Of The Sea...I hope they didn't implement service charge. My last 4-5 cruises have been with mainly Princess and once with Carnival. We love the room service, ordered it daily and have breakfast on the Balcony.

The first disappointment I saw on RCL is no smoke salmon for breakfast! What a bummer!

Doubt it will be refunded, as it is clearly stated on room service menu. We haven't ordered this week, but may next week. Burgers at Barefoot Beach seemed better, so maybe John had a Wagyu beef burger and didn't know it!;p;p

Also, to answer another's question about how many orders for the charge, menu states: served 11 am - 6 am, room service menu has a service fee of $7.95 per room delivery.

Still haven't seen actual breakfast menu, but we have dined for breakfast in Chops and been well pleased.

So, no free room service for PC?

Hi, Kay