$7.95 Room Service Charge

I'm betting there are a whole bunch of employees who would be very happy with an increase of $193.86 more per year or even half of that amount .

I fully agree with you there. Who would turn down any amount being given on top? I know I wouldn´t.

Your analysis is just fine . No lowering their pay wouldn't make any difference to us, the consumer . I guess many believe that America's top exec's are overpaid .

I don´t disagree on many - not only America´s - top exec´s being overpaid and I´m not starting to debate if it´s the case for the listed Group with RCCL.

The Point I tried to make was more that it´s just a drop in the bucket with such a large Operation.

The poster I responded to wanted to split the money between some of us and manage to perform a whole lot of savings for the customer and salary increase for the crew and have lots of Money left, which simply can´t hold any water.

If These People are overpaid or not is open for discussion, if you can make all the listed Points is not, as it´s impossible.

... Every shipboard employee would get a whooping $193.86 more per year. :eek:The Overall savings per passenger would be $2.02, to lower stateroom Price, Internet, Excursions, Room Service Charge, Internet and whatever else you wanted to reduce cost on. :eek: ...

Are Folks really this blindfolded about the reality?:rolleyes:

I think there are some folks who really don't realize how much dividing the executive salaries by the number of employees and/or the number of customers results in remarkably small amounts of money. I think there's also a good number of folks who don't care about the details and just want to bash the executives for reasons of their own that have nothing to do with the executives doing anything wrong or not doing enough right. I supposed it may be that some may find it cheap and easy to criticize notable people for fun.

However, the reality is that there is work that these people do that still needs to be done, and that as long as anyone in our society is allowed to pay that amount of money to people who have such skills and experience then the only way for any company to acquire such skills and experience is to pay that amount of money. In other words, to avoid this situation, it would be necessary to place hard limits on people's income, something that would be abhorrent to many in a capitalist society.

And it is even more insidious than that. In order to operate, most companies need operating cash and investment capital. Most leverage their company's credit to smooth over variability in the availability of resources. The company's ability to operate, therefore, is contingent on banks willing to float the companies the cash and capital they need. Companies with recognized skillful leaders pay less for such commercial banking services than companies that don't, and you can be sure that no bank will be willing to provide that essential service to companies that are effectively without any executive leadership whatsoever.

Ok, My husband and i had a long discussion about the 7.95 charge on rccl ships for the room service. His point of view is that the charge is fair. The ships are getting bigger and the service expectations are far more demanding then they were 10 years ago.

If the new charge was not implemented the overall customer service would suffer. Some people take advantage of the room service being included in the cruise and call for service many times a day. The ship can only afford to employe so many crew members and the overall customer service would suffer. The fee will deter this. At first i thought he was wrong but he is very smart about money and it seemed to make sense when he started to point out the cost of this room service inclusion.:confused: STILL THINK THE MIDNIGHT BUFFET SHOULD STILL BE AVAILABLE AND THE ICE SCULPTURES AND THE ARTISTIC REVIEW OF THE BUFFETS THOUGH. bring them back please.

I think there are some folks who really don't realize how much dividing the executive salaries by the number of employees and/or the number of customers results in remarkably small amounts of money. I think there's also a good number of folks who don't care about the details and just want to bash the executives for reasons of their own that have nothing to do with the executives doing anything wrong or not doing enough right. I supposed it may be that some may find it cheap and easy to criticize notable people for fun.

However, the reality is that there is work that these people do that still needs to be done, and that as long as anyone in our society is allowed to pay that amount of money to people who have such skills and experience then the only way for any company to acquire such skills and experience is to pay that amount of money. In other words, to avoid this situation, it would be necessary to place hard limits on people's income, something that would be abhorrent to many in a capitalist society.

And it is even more insidious than that. In order to operate, most companies need operating cash and investment capital. Most leverage their company's credit to smooth over variability in the availability of resources. The company's ability to operate, therefore, is contingent on banks willing to float the companies the cash and capital they need. Companies with recognized skillful leaders pay less for such commercial banking services than companies that don't, and you can be sure that no bank will be willing to provide that essential service to companies that are effectively without any executive leadership whatsoever.

Couldn´t have said it any better.

Ok, My husband and i had a long discussion about the 7.95 charge on rccl ships for the room service. His point of view is that the charge is fair. The ships are getting bigger and the service expectations are far more demanding then they were 10 years ago.

If the new charge was not implemented the overall customer service would suffer. Some people take advantage of the room service being included in the cruise and call for service many times a day. The ship can only afford to employe so many crew members and the overall customer service would suffer. The fee will deter this. At first i thought he was wrong but he is very smart about money and it seemed to make sense when he started to point out the cost of this room service inclusion.:confused: STILL THINK THE MIDNIGHT BUFFET SHOULD STILL BE AVAILABLE AND THE ICE SCULPTURES AND THE ARTISTIC REVIEW OF THE BUFFETS THOUGH. bring them back please.

How do you know that?

So are the 'warm chocolate chip cookies' actually arriving WARM? I'd order a few plates of those, but if they aren't warm when they get there, I'd expect to not be charged. :)

I don't recall them being warm, but they did seem a little overcooked.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So are the 'warm chocolate chip cookies' actually arriving WARM? I'd order a few plates of those, but if they aren't warm when they get there, I'd expect to not be charged. :)

But technically you aren't paying for the FOOD, it's a service fee and tip....

Maybe all of those self centered, greedy, nasty passengers that I keep reading about standing in line at Guest Services are actually there for reasons other than to remove gratuities.

I was in line on the last night of my Indy cruise to have a drink charge taken off that was covered by my package. The way the line winded, I probably heard 10-12 different guest requests and none of them were about removing gratuities.

I am going to chastise you about your post, which is something I try not to do. Yes, you should have tipped the room service waiter. It is not difficult to leave a few dollars in the card slot next to the door, where the, do not disturb cards are kept. Whomever answers the door can give it to the delivery person. And they are used to seeing people in their PJs.

I am very sorry about the state of your affairs if you would consider hiding an $8 charge from your spouse. It really seems as though it is something that could be discussed without issue, and a decision could be reached about whether you think it is worth the charge to order room service.

And personally, I think we will still give a dollar or two to the delivery person, in spite of the charge.

Chastising about tipping/not tipping... and marital advice? Yep.. something you should continue to try NOT to do. :rolleyes:

What is the charge for room service in a hotel that offers it? I've only done it once on a package that included a room service breakfast.

Every time I've looked at a hotel room service price list, it's been a la carte pricing. If you want a hot breakfast for two, it would be much more than $8.

If I understand correctly, the continental breakfast of pastries and coffee is still free, though, correct?

Personally, I'm okay with the charge. Yes, it's a change, but IF it allows for faster service (IF is a big IF), I would willingly pay it. After the amount of $$ I spend on the cruise, $7.95 won't bankrupt me. We have two staterooms together, so will just order for both at once if we want food. Less than the cost of one drink.

PLUS 22% tip, and if you don't block them at the door on delivery add another $5 for them to walk in. Yeesh.

I'm thankful they're charging $7.95 per delivery for room service since I never used it once and have no desire to subsidize those who do. I still can get coffee delivered for breakfast gratis but even then I prefer to run up the stairs to WJ to get my early cup.

I wouldn't mind a $7.95 service fee for a midnight buffet, though. That would be valuable.

As for wanting a midnight buffet---NCL opens their buffet back up from 9:30-11:00pm every night. We cruised NCL this past January after 2 RCCL cruises, and 7 Carnival before that, and were pleasantly surprised of the great after hours free food offerings. I loved my RCCL cruises, don't get me wrong--but they really didn't offer a great choice of places to grab a decent bite to eat after hours, so people tended to use room service more.

I get it . Room service from Hilton is outrageous .

So how does that make this 7.95 Room Service Charge acceptable ?

The explanation of the room service charge on the room service menu, along with the provisions set forth in the cruise contract, is what makes it "acceptable".

As the previous poster mentioned, each person can make their own decision as to whether or not the value for price paid is "worth it" to them. That is of course a separate issue.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Wow, that is too bad, I liked to get room service maybe once or twice on a cruise, especially on a port day that I want to get out early. Plus it's nice to eat on the balcony (if I'm lucky enough to have one) occasionally without having to get ready for the day in time for breakfast (not a morning person). But considering my few experiences with room service haven't been great, it's not worth it to me. (Getting phone calls at 7 a.m. to confirm an 8:30 breakfast order, not getting it if I fail to answer the phone, etc). Only exception was my first cruise, on Oasis, it was free HOT room service breakfast, and we even got a little plate of goodies later in the day as a "thank you" for ordering free room service! That was only in 2013, what a difference a few years makes.

That's OK, I've found the nice, free breakfast in the dining room worth getting up for. :)

Edited by fluffysue