Have you ever been booted off a cruise?

reporterbabe

I covered this in my review of our Pride of America Hawaii cruise on the Norwegian boards, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

What can get you booted off a cruise and what can you do about it?

In our case, my husband honestly checked the "yes" box on the health form asking if he had diarrhea recently. He had a bout with traveler's tummy that morning, which is not uncommon with him when we travel to a warmer climate.

We were separated from the other waiting to embark passengers in the terminal until a nurse could see us. She took his temperature and an hour later, we were presented with a letter informing him that they would refund his ticket because he couldn't board the ship.

We asked to speak to an actual doctor and, when he finally arrived, he agreed to let us board as long as we stayed in our cabin for the next day.

I wondered how often people give up after being handed that letter and if the fact that we just waited them out played in our favor. Also, we were very polite about it.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Or have you been kicked off or seen someone kicked off for any reason?

Mahalo!

8fd6602a6deff0ab9cc3f072597d507a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never been kicked off but, yes, have read reports from people in your shoes who were refused boarding. It's a sucky option when you already have plan fare and vacation time from work invested in taking the trip - doesn't encourage people to answer honestly.

Once met a co-passenger in Southampton. His companion got hurt when they arrived from a taxi at the terminal. The taxi's door slammed onto the feet that caused him to leap. The ship doctor was called during check-in and was denied joining the cruise.

Have we ever been booted off of a cruise? Yes! On Debarkation Day. I hate that. It means the vacation is over and we have to go back to reality. :D

How barbaric! Separating you from the comforts, nay, the lifeline of the ship! Write to the company and complain!

In our case, my husband honestly checked the "yes" box on the health form asking if he had diarrhea recently. He had a bout with traveler's tummy that morning, which is not uncommon with him when we travel to a warmer climate.

We were separated from the other waiting to embark passengers in the terminal until a nurse could see us. She took his temperature and an hour later, we were presented with a letter informing him that they would refund his ticket because he couldn't board the ship.

We asked to speak to an actual doctor and, when he finally arrived, he agreed to let us board as long as we stayed in our cabin for the next day.!

And then people are shocked when others lie about diarrhea. My DH used to get diarrhea every time he went back home and saw his mother. It took me years to figure it out because as soon as we got the key to the room he ran for the bathroom. In his case it was just nerves. Same with showing up at the cruise. Just traveling nerves.

We were not booted off but we were detained during the brewhaha about SARS in Toronto a few years ago. We answered the health questionnaire about visiting Toronto and then had to wait to see a nurse.She took our temperatures and allowed us to board but we had to check in with theinfirmary to have our temperatures checked each day of the cruise. It was only a minor inconvenience (totally unnecessary mind you, but not too bad).

Not totally off topic - the thread header is maybe not well worded?

The OP specifically relates an account of not being allowed to board and asks "Has this happened to anyone else?"

So those are the replies you are seeing.

And then people are shocked when others lie about diarrhea. My DH used to get diarrhea every time he went back home and saw his mother. It took me years to figure it out because as soon as we got the key to the room he ran for the bathroom. In his case it was just nerves. Same with showing up at the cruise. Just traveling nerves.

Yep, I have tummy troubles frequently due to having acid reflux, stress related IBS, and motion sickness. If I'm certain I'm not sick; I'm not reporting tummy troubles.

Have seen folks removed from ship for smoking in their cabin after warning, refusing to attend emergency drill, or in the case of emergency medical that is beyond the capabilities of on board medical centre. There are plenty of warnings in the first two situations including involvement from the captain - we all sail at the captains pleasure.

On our many cruises we have seen numerous folks put off the ship due to medical issues which the, ship's physician, did not want to treat aboard. On a Princess cruise we watched a young couple take their diapered toddler into the main pool (despite signs saying no diapers) and pollute the water. The pool had to be drained, cleaned and then refilled (this took hours) depriving everyone of the use of the pool on a hot sea day. The following day, this same couple did the same thing...and again the pool was drained. The following day that couple (and their toddler) were tossed off the ship at a Caribbean port. On another cruise we had an unattached male who bought drinks for everyone on the pool deck (more then 100). The cruise line later discovered his credit card was no longer valid...and he was tossed off the ship. And then we were once on a RCI cruise where a guy climbed between two balconies...and he was tossed off the ship at the next port.

Hank

I think we are mixing "booted off" with "denied embarkation".

I wonder if reporterbabe will be booted of her next cruise for this outrageous infraction of cruise etiquette?

It surely must be just as bad as that toddler 'polluting' the pool!:eek:

:rolleyes:

Just because you report having one of the symptoms does not mean you will be denied boarding. You will be seen by a medical person who may find you have a fever or other symptom meaning it may be more than traveling tummy. During the SARS and H1N1 epidemics, they had medical personnel watching boarding for ill folks and pulling them out of the waiting area to a secondary screening area, some boarded, some did not.

Couple cruises ago in Miami, a woman was vomiting up her guts in the bathroom boarding area, I found the closest Carnival crew and sent them in while I went to the other bathroom and did a scrub down like I was Dr House.

I covered this in my review of our Pride of America Hawaii cruise on the Norwegian boards, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

What can get you booted off a cruise and what can you do about it?

We asked to speak to an actual doctor and, when he finally arrived, he agreed to let us board as long as we stayed in our cabin for the next day.

I wondered how often people give up after being handed that letter and if the fact that we just waited them out played in our favor. Also, we were very polite about it.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Or have you been kicked off or seen someone kicked off for any reason?

Mahalo!

8fd6602a6deff0ab9cc3f072597d507a.jpg

They can deny you boarding or re-boarding and you have no recourse. It is in your cruiss contract.

On our many cruises we have seen numerous folks put off the ship due to medical issues which the, ship's physician, did not want to treat aboard. On a Princess cruise we watched a young couple take their diapered toddler into the main pool (despite signs saying no diapers) and pollute the water. The pool had to be drained, cleaned and then refilled (this took hours) depriving everyone of the use of the pool on a hot sea day. The following day, this same couple did the same thing...and again the pool was drained. The following day that couple (and their toddler) were tossed off the ship at a Caribbean port. On another cruise we had an unattached male who bought drinks for everyone on the pool deck (more then 100). The cruise line later discovered his credit card was no longer valid...and he was tossed off the ship. And then we were once on a RCI cruise where a guy climbed between two balconies...and he was tossed off the ship at the next port.

Hank

The people you have described in your post should have been tossed off immediately instead of waiting until they got to the next port.

DON

Have seen folks removed from ship for smoking in their cabin after warning, refusing to attend emergency drill, or in the case of emergency medical that is beyond the capabilities of on board medical centre. There are plenty of warnings in the first two situations including involvement from the captain - we all sail at the captains pleasure.

This reminds me of a poster about two years ago. He came on asking about the fairness of being kicked off just because they were so drunk that they didn't attend the muster drill. They also didn't attend the next two set up for them. They had to get the Captain, head of security and I forget who else but the hallway was crowded. He was from Europe and commented that they were just young people trying to enjoy their vacation.

At first he acted like it was an innocent question. Then it went into his personal involvement and wondered if he was banned from A cruise line, would that mean he would also be banned from B, C and D which were owned by the same group.

This reminds me of a poster about two years ago. He came on asking about the fairness of being kicked off just because they were so drunk that they didn't attend the muster drill. They also didn't attend the next two set up for them. They had to get the Captain, head of security and I forget who else but the hallway was crowded. He was from Europe and commented that they were just young people trying to enjoy their vacation.

At first he acted like it was an innocent question. Then it went into his personal involvement and wondered if he was banned from A cruise line, would that mean he would also be banned from B, C and D which were owned by the same group.

We think part of the problem is the "me me me" generation who have spent most of their lives thinking that rules or guidelines do not apply to them... When they are faced with any authority who enforces rules, with no quarter, they are shocked and angry. We older folks (we are seniors) can certainly be arrogant and rude, but we generally respect rules. These folks do not understand that on a cruise ship, the Captain is the final authority and there is no appeal. If he/she says you are gone...you are gone! They can stamp their feet, demonstrate, call the Captain all kind of names....but they will still be gone! This kind of final authority does not exist in much of society these days....but on a cruise ship there is a single final authority.

Hank