Classic Package Change

TommyD3

The change in policy is like a "bait and switch / false advertising". You buy something with an understanding of its contents, but what you get is "less" than what you paid for. They can give more benefits, but shouldn't be able to takeaway benefits.

It isn't a downgrade for everyone-- the Alaskan beer I wanted is included now in classic, and I can pay the difference for drinks not included. There are some things I'm disappointed with (no soda cans, baileys upgrade)-- but they could have changed those things and NOT give me the opportunity to only pay the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a niggling concern here. People start to get used to paying the difference for a drink. Then bit by bit more drinks are shifted from the Classic to Premium Packages meaning more people pay the difference to get the Classic Package, and so on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The change in policy is like a "bait and switch / false advertising". You buy something with an understanding of its contents, but what you get is "less" than what you paid for. They can give more benefits, but shouldn't be able to takeaway benefits. The change should be advertised pre purchase and forwarded (in example) to future bookings, whereby the passenger has an option to cancel their itinerary based on the changes, not when the passenger will be penalized to change.

I agree. The UK site is still showing the previous Classic Package inclusions so people booking a cruise now up to 18 months ahead have an expectation of the inclusions which will have long since been removed by the time they sail.

A few years back I was on Eclipse the second sailing after they chopped about 40% of the Classic Package inclusions. The thread grew rapidly and spread to social media. Four days in, Celebrity reversed their decision due to public pressure.

Sure introduce the ability to pay the difference but don't move things up from the Classic to Premium Packages that clearly are not 'Premium' - Baileys? Amaretto? All they are doing is devaluing the Classic Package perk.

Since the "official" attached PDF to the above post is going into effect, I presume that there is another change, important to some/many. The new "page" says:

"Your package can be used in the Main Restaurant, specialty restaurants, casual dining restaurants, and all bars and lounges."

So that leads me to believe that the martini bar will now serve classic priced martini's (presumably in regular sized glasses) to those on the standard and classic package.....right??? That phrase would also have me believe that I can go to the world bar as well and get a "classic pagage" included drink which is unlikely.

I very much doubt that will be the effect on board. You could always use a Classic Package at the Martini Bar, just not to get a full sized Martini. Some ships offered 'Classic martinis' at that bar, off and on. They will definitely be wanting Classic Package people to pay the price differential for a Martini at that bar so I'm guessing the 'Classic martini' will be no more.

As for using a Classic Package at the World Class Bar, I think this will be an oversight in their info or (less likely) you could get a regular drink at the World Class Bar but not one of their specialities.

Hi could you please post the substitutes for Baily's cream thank you Aussie

Looks good but is it available on celebrity ships? we need a substitute for Baileys that is on the classic drink package Aussie

That was the point of my post. The substitutes are not on the packages, but I think they should be. Here is a list that I found online. Carolan's is one. ;)

http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/7/31/9009939/beyond-baileys-10-cream-liqueurs-to-try

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/baileys-irish-cream-alternatives/

ChucktownSteve

Today 08:06 AM

Earlier this year, vitamin water was $5 however you couldn't get it under the classic package. Even though the limit for beer was $6. You had to have the premium package not to be charged for it. I wonder if that will be included as the under $9 streamlined limit?

Vitamin Water is still listed under the Premium package. :(

I have a niggling concern here. People start to get used to paying the difference for a drink. Then bit by bit more drinks are shifted from the Classic to Premium Packages meaning more people pay the difference to get the Classic Package, and so on.

"Pay no attention to that Celebrity bean counter behind the curtain!"

They've been doing it under your nose for quite some time.

Celebrity can't be changing what passengers agreed to when they bought their tickets, that's a breach of contract. They can add to the pkgs, not take away or lessen the value in some passengers perspective. If anything these changes should take effect in future cruises where passengers can have the choice to choose to agree the changes. "All" alcoholic beverages up to $9 added to old Classic pkg will make "All" passengers happy for now !

Celebrity can't be changing what passengers agreed to when they bought their tickets, that's a breach of contract. They can add to the pkgs, not take away or lessen the value in some passengers perspective. If anything these changes should take effect in future cruises where passengers can have the choice to choose to agree the changes. "All" alcoholic beverages up to $9 added to old Classic pkg will make "All" passengers happy for now !

lumpyi, Did you actually read your cruising contract? It basically says they can change anything they want to at anytime and you either like it or lump it. (pun intended)

Yes it says that, but why do I need to pay more to what was agreed to or pay more to get out of the contract. Either way its lose, lose. I pay for a Mercedes and get a Volkswagon. In most other sales its a breach, why is not for cruise lines. Do they have their own laws? Its a matter of ethics, give me what was agreed to and the option to choose. It is what it is, and I won't let it bother my cruise enjoyment, just expressing my opinion of Celebrity dictatorship.

lumpyi, Did you actually read your cruising contract? It basically says they can change anything they want to at anytime and you either like it or lump it. (pun intended)

That dammed cruise contract....we can change just about anything to your detriment and there is nothing you can do about it! Except US/CA cruisers can cancel without detriment but U.K. Cruisers lose their deposit. Most won't even realise until they are onboard that what they thought they would get isn't the case anymore.

Yes it says that, but why do I need to pay more to what was agreed to or pay more to get out of the contract. Either way its lose, lose. I pay for a Mercedes and get a Volkswagon. In most other sales its a breach, why is not for cruise lines. Do they have their own laws? Its a matter of ethics, give me what was agreed to and the option to choose. It is what it is, and I won't let it bother my cruise enjoyment, just expressing my opinion of Celebrity dictatorship.

I'm not so sure I agree with you here. There are positives and negatives to the changes of the Classic package. My biggest concern with the old Classic was ordering wine at dinner and how few options there would be. That concern is gone. I can live with the other changes.

Does anyone have a picture of the drink menus, including wines by the glass, since these changes started? What I'm curious about is if some drink prices were nudged up. Namely, are drinks that used to cost $8 or $9 now $10 or $11? Cynical me wonders if Celebrity thinks that rather than spend an extra $5 or $6 on drinks each day, Classic package users may figure it's just easier to upgrade to Premium and not have to sign all those slips.

"Your package can be used in the Main Restaurant, specialty restaurants, casual dining restaurants, and all bars and lounges."

This did not work for us in Q-Sine. They said it's separate from the cruise ship. Whaaat? I think there is still a lot of training going in. We had lots of waiters telling us "no, you have to pay the full cost" then would come back and say " sorry, I was mistaken, you only pay the difference"

But Q-sine wouldn't budge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This did not work for us in Q-Sine. They said it's separate from the cruise ship. Whaaat? I think there is still a lot of training going in. We had lots of waiters telling us "no, you have to pay the full cost" then would come back and say " sorry, I was mistaken, you only pay the difference"

That would really annoy me. I would say in that case if I cannot get a glass of wine on my package then we are leaving. Not afraid of making a fuss if treated unfairly. Alas there seems to be more cases of inconsistencies on X

Yes, but for people booking in the UK, any court would throw that out as an unfair contract and therefore unenforceable. The contract is make when the booking is made, and a UK cruiser could quite easily go to the small claims court for all the cost of their cans of Coke during the cruise if they'd paid for the Classic when the sales material said it was included.

Suspect the same would apply in other EU countries. After all, one excuse for higher UK prices used to be our consumer protection laws.

Stuart

Yes, but for people booking in the UK, any court would throw that out as an unfair contract and therefore unenforceable. The contract is make when the booking is made, and a UK cruiser could quite easily go to the small claims court for all the cost of their cans of Coke during the cruise if they'd paid for the Classic when the sales material said it was included.

Suspect the same would apply in other EU countries. After all, one excuse for higher UK prices used to be our consumer protection laws.

Stuart

+1

I wonder for people who don't drink alcohol, but take the classic package as a perk because of their spouse, if the ship would allow them to downgrade to the premium non-alcohol package. This would include canned sodas and a few other options not included in the classic alcohol package. It would be worth a try anyway.

Neda

I personally like the concept of the new changes, but will need to wait until on board to see how it is working. (FYI, happy with spring water and fountain cola--rarely drink soda anyway).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't personally care about the fountain soda on the ship but I want my soda can when I go on excursion.

We have always been able to use our beverage package in Qsine without fail. There may have been times when we paid for shipment not on the package, but it was rare.

How odd this happened to you.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

I wonder for people who don't drink alcohol, but take the classic package as a perk because of their spouse, if the ship would allow them to downgrade to the premium non-alcohol package. This would include canned sodas and a few other options not included in the classic alcohol package. It would be worth a try anyway.

Neda

On the Silhouette in January we did this "downgrade" but they charged $4 per day plus the 18% gratuity. Other people have reported they just let them change at no cost though.

YMMV

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

It looks like I will be one affected by the change regarding canned sodas...

We always have the Classic Package as a perk for booking on board. I do not drink but mostly have Diet Coke with meals or at bars. I do not really care if it comes in a can or out of a fountain.

So my question is: will Diet Coke be available at Blu, MDR or at bars as a fountain soda???

Otherwise I would have to "downgrade" to the Premium non-alcoholic package on board.

It looks like I will be one affected by the change regarding canned sodas...

We always have the Classic Package as a perk for booking on board. I do not drink but mostly have Diet Coke with meals or at bars. I do not really care if it comes in a can or out of a fountain.

So my question is: will Diet Coke be available at Blu, MDR or at bars as a fountain soda???

Otherwise I would have to "downgrade" to the Premium non-alcoholic package on board.

I have never found a fountain soda on any of the Celebrity ships I've been on except in the bars that add it to mixed drinks. Every time I went to a bar and ordered a Diet Coke or Ginger ale, they handed me a can. So why wouldn't those still also be available in the restaurants & bars?

Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the change discussed here ;)

Canned sodas are no longer part of the Classic Beverage Package... available yes, included no.

Which is kind of ridiculous - I could get an expensive wine, cocktail etc. but I would have to pay extra for my Diet Coke.