No more adult only aft pools?

Have to say I am super excited that I booked Celebrity Edge tonight for 2019. It's a LONG way away, but I have been hanging on to my Passages Certificate just waiting for the right time. I didn't need to put any additional deposit down since I gave them $100 on board the Reflection. When I add another person I will only need to put $100 down for them as well. I have a Deluxe OV which is $2900.00 total inclusive of the initial $100 deposit and taxes. With their current "Best" offer and my OBC from my Passages Certificate I have $425 OBC, unlimited internet ($448 for 2), prepaid gratuities ($189 for 2), and the Premium Drink Package ($910 for 2). Between the perks and OBC, I perceive it to be a very good value. And a brand new ship to boot! I have earned Elite status not that it really matters as I don't find the benefits to be anything spectacular especially with internet and drinks included in my fare already.

It is a 7 day Eastern going to Tortola which I haven't been and it has 3 sea days which I used to love on Carnival. I really don't like 4 ports in 7 days. Wish they would go back to that.

I'm sure I'll be going on another Carnival (or 2) before this one, but it feels good to be getting back to the cruise line I absolutely love. Carnival has been making my decision easier as of late. After getting back on Celebrity, I may just stay.

Have to say I am super excited that I booked Celebrity Edge tonight for 2019. It's a LONG way away, but I have been hanging on to my Passages Certificate just waiting for the right time. I didn't need to put any additional deposit down since I gave them $100 on board the Reflection. When I add another person I will only need to put $100 down for them as well. I have a Deluxe OV which is $2900.00 total inclusive of the initial $100 deposit and taxes. With their current "Best" offer and my OBC from my Passages Certificate I have $425 OBC, unlimited internet ($448 for 2), prepaid gratuities ($189 for 2), and the Premium Drink Package ($910 for 2). Between the perks and OBC, I perceive it to be a very good value. And a brand new ship to boot! I have earned Elite status not that it really matters as I don't find the benefits to be anything spectacular especially with internet and drinks included in my fare already.

It is a 7 day Eastern going to Tortola which I haven't been and it has 3 sea days which I used to love on Carnival. I really don't like 4 ports in 7 days. Wish they would go back to that.

I'm sure I'll be going on another Carnival (or 2) before this one, but it feels good to be getting back to the cruise line I absolutely love. Carnival has been making my decision easier as of late. After getting back on Celebrity, I may just stay.

Tortola is a great stop. If you are a beach person, go to brewers beach.

Sent from my iPhone

Way too expensive for my blood for an OV but I have you have a great time. New port is always nice as well.

Way too expensive for my blood for an OV but I have you have a great time. New port is always nice as well.

It agree that it appears to be more money upfront out of pocket, but when you figure the fare for 2 people before tax is $2798 ($1399 each) and you have your prepaid gratuities, unlimited internet, drink package, and OBC, it's really not.

Let's compare to Carnival. Before you even select a sailing, there's the $425 OBC (which can be cashed out), and the Premium drink package which is as close to Cheers as you can get on Celebrity. Cheers will run you about $804 for 2 on a 7 day cruise. Then there's the internet which from what I can tell is equivalent to the Premium plan on Carnival so that will be $238 ($119pp) for 7 days. Gratuities which on Carnival are $181 for 2. Add all those things up and you're at $1648 worth of basically prepaid stuff. Subtract that from the $2798 and you are left with $1150 if I did all the math right (which I can't guarantee - I hate math). That leaves you with a fare for an OV equalling about, what? $1150/$575pp before tax that you should be using to price shop Carnival?

When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad does it? Brand new ship, a full 7 days (vs my 6 on Vista), 3 sea days, St Maarten and Tortola which aren't on the regular 7 day sailing itinerary of any of Carnival's ships leaving from the Continental US.

Now if you are one to never get Cheers and internet, then it can be not as good of a value, I agree. However, they do have lesser plans. The Go is $1299 pp with 1 perk, Go better is $1404 with 2 perks. Both have taxes included.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the "fare" scare you when comparing prices. As I just pointed out, Carnival is not always the best value. I think we need to stop assuming that. It's not like a couple years ago.

we'd crusie a lot on celebrity if they sailed from jax, or cape C or more than the rare cruise from somewhere closer, we haven't flown in about 7 years now, and are planning to fly to Hawaii next year but health reasons may require us to cancel or change that to a us coast to Hawaii rt cruise.

Celebrity was, when we cruised the Galaxy years ago definitely upscale, even moreso than princess. We did an 11 nt Caribbean cruise from Baltimore. They had along with the old chandris cruises the best service and food of any cruise we'd ever sailed. Celebrity grew out of Chandris as many of you know when the Galileo was stretched and became Celebrity's first ship.

My group traveling on Glory is 16 adults and no children. While many of our have kids, this cruise is an adults only group outing to celebrate a friends 50th birthday. Many of those going have never cruised on a Carnival before, they usually cruise NCL or RC. It was a hard sell to get the group to do Carnival. Now I have to work with Costco travel to if it's not to late to move our group to a different ship or cruise line. Annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I leave next week on the Splendor. It is too late to change to a different cruise without paying a penalty to Carnival (let alone the airlines). Why couldn't they announce this farther in advance as they have with other changes??

After this cruise, think I will finally branch out and try out the other cruise lines. Not saying I wouldn't come back to Carnival, but there have been so many changes, this is no longer the same product I have been trying to convince my extended family to try.

It agree that it appears to be more money upfront out of pocket, but when you figure the fare for 2 people before tax is $2798 ($1399 each) and you have your prepaid gratuities, unlimited internet, drink package, and OBC, it's really not.

Let's compare to Carnival. Before you even select a sailing, there's the $425 OBC (which can be cashed out), and the Premium drink package which is as close to Cheers as you can get on Celebrity. Cheers will run you about $804 for 2 on a 7 day cruise. Then there's the internet which from what I can tell is equivalent to the Premium plan on Carnival so that will be $238 ($119pp) for 7 days. Gratuities which on Carnival are $181 for 2. Add all those things up and you're at $1648 worth of basically prepaid stuff. Subtract that from the $2798 and you are left with $1150 if I did all the math right (which I can't guarantee - I hate math). That leaves you with a fare for an OV equalling about, what? $1150/$575pp before tax that you should be using to price shop Carnival?

When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad does it? Brand new ship, a full 7 days (vs my 6 on Vista), 3 sea days, St Maarten and Tortola which aren't on the regular 7 day sailing itinerary of any of Carnival's ships leaving from the Continental US.

Now if you are one to never get Cheers and internet, then it can be not as good of a value, I agree. However, they do have lesser plans. The Go is $1299 pp with 1 perk, Go better is $1404 with 2 perks. Both have taxes included.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the "fare" scare you when comparing prices. As I just pointed out, Carnival is not always the best value. I think we need to stop assuming that. It's not like a couple years ago.

As I've said before, if all of the inclusive perks are something you would buy anyway, then it's a good deal as you would be spending the same amount either way. For me, as a non-drinker and my wife who only has a glass of wine with dinner (which we take on board with us on Carnival), the cost per person would go up significantly which is why it's not a good value to me (as you said). That's why each person has to decide what the total value of the cruise with included perks is worth it to them. Since you're going to use all of the perks it is a really good value for you and I hope you have a blast.

Would like to hear about the differences between Celebrity and Carnival once you return as I would like to sail Celebrity at least once just to see. I'll just try to find a cruise without perks added and hopefully the price will be close to being comparable.

As I've said before, if all of the inclusive perks are something you would buy anyway, then it's a good deal as you would be spending the same amount either way. For me, as a non-drinker and my wife who only has a glass of wine with dinner (which we take on board with us on Carnival), the cost per person would go up significantly which is why it's not a good value to me (as you said). That's why each person has to decide what the total value of the cruise with included perks is worth it to them. Since you're going to use all of the perks it is a really good value for you and I hope you have a blast.

Would like to hear about the differences between Celebrity and Carnival once you return as I would like to sail Celebrity at least once just to see. I'll just try to find a cruise without perks added and hopefully the price will be close to being comparable.

I'm sure you could get a good deal on a ship that is already out. Edge is new, and I believe prices will go down. Everyone jumped on it last month when they opened up bookings like what happened with Vista and Horizon. Since there aren't any penalties for cancelling with Celebrity before final payment, I have a feeling a lot of people will sit on their cabins and wait and see.

You should try the S-Class ships. Reflection is my favorite. While there are similarities between Carnival and Celebrity, they are different. I love Celebrity's food, the decor which is more muted. It has a certain sophistication about it, not shopping mall feel as Vista. The lawn is something you should experience. It's pretty cool. They also have a nice adults only pool - The Solarium which is inclosed and has a healthy eating place in there.

There are so many things I can't even describe. The food, the ambiance, the iced over Martini Bar. You don't have to be a big drinker to have a great time. It's just a different feel. Check it out. Once you try it, you'll see :).

We just got home from the Splendor today. Spring Break in our region is usually in March. Unfortunately it was this past week for some places. I felt like I was on a Disney Cruise. It was our 2nd Carnival cruise, and will be our last with them.

There were small children everywhere. It was very concerning that no one seemed to be watching them. A teacher at our table found a 3 year old alone in an elevator.

Last night at dinner, a small child was crying and screaming the whole time. The parents ignored her and her disruption of everyone around them, and kept eating. No one asked them to take her outside until she calmed down and stopped crying.

I was looking forward to at least being able to be around only adults in the pool area, but found out on board that there wasn't an adults only pool.

It seemed like there were more kids running loose on board than could have possibly have been in the Kid's Club.

It's not the kid's fault that they were so disruptive. It's the parent's fault for letting them be.

By the way, you will love Tortola if you like snorkeling or diving.

Huge disappointment for me too, also a last straw moment and have been a pretty big Carnival cheerleader in the past. IF they had pool monitors at each pool to keep kids from jumping in, splashing others and obeying normal pool rules and etiquette that would be one thing but we all know this is not going to happen. Now I would like to know what cruise lines that are not Carnival Corporation should I start looking at that has adult only pools and areas.

Same here.

I used to really love Carnival; still enjoy them, but we're gonna branch out. We've been striving to gain increasingly-hard-to-get "status" on Carnival, I won't rule out more Carnival cruises but I won't be looking at them first any longer. Seems they're moving to some sort of a customer profile that is increasingly less me....

I don't mind kids, I love mine... but when mine enjoy the kids area of the ship, I enjoy the adult areas of the ship... It's nice to have the option. And the aft pool is my favorite. I find the serenity deck on most ships we've been on that have one to be stiflingly hot and overcrowded.

Disappointing news, indeed!

For those looking to branch out to another line, check out the Norwegian Escape. Their main pool is even adults only till 500 pm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I haven't been on the Escape (yet) but I have been on Breakaway and Getaway a few times. The Escape is quite similar with regard to the pools. I'm pretty sure the main pool would not be adults only. You are correct about Spice H2O being adults only until 5 PM. But there's no pool there. It is more like a cool off water fall type fountain and of course the 2 hot tubs. The main pool is next to a kiddie pool (children's aqua park) and the whole area is family-friendly. There is however an adults only hot tub in the main pool area. I really like Spice H2O. I have never shelled out the money to visit Vibe Beach Club (which is adults only) but assume that it would be even nicer (ought to be if you're paying for it). There is no doubt that NCL, like Carnival, is family friendly but it's also more adult friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I haven't read the entire thread...just the first thirty or so posts, but this would definitely cause me to avoid Carnival. I have enjoyed Carnival and liked the fact that it skews younger. However for pool and hot tub time I exclusively used the Serenity area. I believe Carnival is making a mistake here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't been on the Escape (yet) but I have been on Breakaway and Getaway a few times. The Escape is quite similar with regard to the pools. I'm pretty sure the main pool would not be adults only. You are correct about Spice H2O being adults only until 5 PM. But there's no pool there. It is more like a cool off water fall type fountain and of course the 2 hot tubs. The main pool is next to a kiddie pool (children's aqua park) and the whole area is family-friendly. There is however an adults only hot tub in the main pool area. I really like Spice H2O. I have never shelled out the money to visit Vibe Beach Club (which is adults only) but assume that it would be even nicer (ought to be if you're paying for it). There is no doubt that NCL, like Carnival, is family friendly but it's also more adult friendly.

The main pool on Escape is adults only.

For those looking to branch out to another line, check out the Norwegian Escape. Their main pool is even adults only till 500 pm

Correct, but it is not even close to being a "serenity" area. It's below 2 giant TV screens playing soccer and constant repeats of Pitbull's "Freedom" video. Plus, being on the main lido, the pool is packed. True, it's adults only, but there is nothing relaxing about it.

For relaxing adults-only pools on a family line, RCI has, in my opinion, the best facilities.

That is an incredible deal counting all those add ons!

firemanbob'swife--I just went to check cruisedeckplans for Celebrity Reflection after your mention of it. I picked cabin 9322 to check. Saw the grossest thing! On the bathroom shelves the toothbrushes were in a glass and right next to them was a toilet bowl brush nearing touching them!

firemanbob'swife--I just went to check cruisedeckplans for Celebrity Reflection after your mention of it. I picked cabin 9322 to check. Saw the grossest thing! On the bathroom shelves the toothbrushes were in a glass and right next to them was a toilet bowl brush nearing touching them!

What?! I just looked and didn't see it. The toilet brushes are kept under the bathroom sink area in a pull out drawer type thing or cabinet if memory serves me correctly.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I've sailed Solstice Class several times and have never seen anything like that. Like FMBW said, the toilet brush is below. If someone put it on the shelf, it was their doing, not the ship's.

The serenity area is still adults only. Just not some of the formerly adults only pools on some of the ships. It's not a game changer for me, but if it bothers you I guess there are other cruise lines.
Yes, everyone's well aware they can take their business elsewhere. And while that's certainly a viable option, if people like a product/service, there's nothing wrong with voicing one's displeasure if that product changes in a way we don't like. The problem with serenity is, there are only 2 or 3 ships that actually have pools in their serenity area. So to say, "Just go to the serenity area," as has been said by many people, for the most part isn't an option equal to the adults-only aft pools.

I leave next week on the Splendor. It is too late to change to a different cruise without paying a penalty to Carnival (let alone the airlines). Why couldn't they announce this farther in advance as they have with other changes??

I have the same problem....Booked on the Splendor for next month....I specifically booked this ship because I so enjoyed the aft deck last year....and this will be a B2B (was on my bucket list) to celebrate my BIG birthday .... I am very disappointed and hope that there are just not too many kids in the pool.

I happen to be one of those adults who enjoys spending a lot of time in the pool with an adult beverage, chatting with fellow adult pax who enjoy the same. I have always met and hung out with some great people at the aft pool and hot tubs.

Oh...and the Serenity Deck on the Splendor is not one that I liked...not even a hot tub and spread on 2 sides of the deck which you have to walk through the hallway to cross because you can't wander all the way around due to the spa location

I really don't understand why they could not have announced this with enough time to change ships....I would NOT have selected the Splendor and ; rather, would have sailed on a ship with a better Serenity Deck