How to know which nights are formal?

cwhet

Hi! We are sailing out of Puerto Rico in July and I'm wondering how to find out which nights are designated for what type of dress. Is that information available when I log in to my cruise?

Thanks for any help! :)

Hi! We are sailing out of Puerto Rico in July and I'm wondering how to find out which nights are designated for what type of dress. Is that information available when I log in to my cruise?

I know this may not help, but dockers and a collared shirt work for all nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In my experience, they are usually on a sea day. For example night 2 and 6 on a 7 day itinerary. The best source for this information is the Compass (daily cruise newspaper) which will post the suggested dress along with the weather forecast so check it each day of your cruise.

In my experience, they are usually on a sea day. For example night 2 and 6 on a 7 day itinerary. The best source for this information is the Compass (daily cruise newspaper) which will post the suggested dress along with the weather forecast so check it each day of your cruise.

Not always. We've had formal nights on port nights too. But, in general, first formal night is almost always night 2. Second formal night depends on the length of the cruise. For example on a 9+ night cruise, second formal night is usually at least night 8. On a 7 night, it can be night 5 or 6. As Bob said, the best way to find out is to see compasses for the same itinerary and ship.

Not always. We've had formal nights on port nights too. But, in general, first formal night is almost always night 2. Second formal night depends on the length of the cruise. For example on a 9+ night cruise, second formal night is usually at least night 8. On a 7 night, it can be night 5 or 6. As Bob said, the best way to find out is to see compasses for the same itinerary and ship.

Yes, we've had formal nights on port nights as well on a couple of our longer past cruises, which is why I said generally they are on sea days on a seven day cruise. I also suggested checked the Compass for information concerning the suggested dress code for each day.

Smooth sailing!

No, the cruise line does not publish the scehdule for formal nights.

The best bet is to look for a review or compass posting of the same exact ship and itinerary.

Usually​ the cruise compass the night before tells you the dress code for the next night but it is never first or last night.

43 cruises and counting.

Especially those itineraries out of San Juan that does the Southern itinerary in which every day is a port day.

Especially those itineraries out of San Juan that does the Southern itinerary in which every day is a port day.

Also, cruises out of FL that don't have as far to travel. Out of Baltimore and NJ, both formal nights are always on sea days since it takes longer to get south and return north. Even this last trip where our first port was Charleston, we still had a sea day on day 2 which was the first formal night and we were at sea returning for our second on day 8.

We love those Southern Caribbean cruises out of San Juan. The longer Southern Caribbean cruises out of Florida are a little harder to plan for since some have three or more formal nights. All are enjoyable regardless of the number. Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Might have to wait until you board to know for sure. When I boarded the ship in San Juan there were employees who were taking reservations for specialty dining. I told them I didn't want to miss the formal nights in the main dining room and they told me which nights are the formal nights.

Might have to wait until you board to know for sure. When I boarded the ship in San Juan there were employees who were taking reservations for specialty dining. I told them I didn't want to miss the formal nights in the main dining room and they told me which nights are the formal nights.

My biggest concern is when is lobster night, which I think it's the 2nd. Otherwise, I don't care. For instance on our upcoming Brilliance cruise there's no lobster night so to me I don't care and book specialty restaurants on any night, except the last.

My biggest concern is when is lobster night, which I think it's the 2nd. Otherwise, I don't care. For instance on our upcoming Brilliance cruise there's no lobster night so to me I don't care and book specialty restaurants on any night, except the last.

Yes, lobster is the second formal night.

• 1 year later...
I see people taking about lobster night. Is there always a lobster night on a 4 night Royal Caribbean cruise? Thanks for any input.

The "free" lobster is usually limited to US based cruises of 5 nights or longer.

First Formal will be your 2nd night, the 2nd formal, could be night 6. In my experience, the final formal night on a 7 day cruise, will be night 2 and night 6, as there is never a formal night on the final evening before arriving back in port since most are packing and getting luggage outside their rooms. Daughter & I cruise March 1 & 8 of 2020, so final formal will be March 6th.

First Formal will be your 2nd night, the 2nd formal, could be night 6. In my experience, the final formal night on a 7 day cruise, will be night 2 and night 6, as there is never a formal night on the final evening before arriving back in port since most are packing and getting luggage outside their rooms. Daughter & I cruise March 1 & 8 of 2020, so final formal will be March 6th.

The second formal night depends on the ship and itinerary. On 7 night eastern cruises out of Florida it is typically on night 5. When those ships do a western the following week, it is typically on night 6. We just got off of Oasis (Eastern), and it was on night 5 (port day in San Juan). Our last Oasis Western was on night 6 (port day in Cozumel).

Orville, the way I can remember it since it does vary, is the last Final will never be on the final night of the cruise since everyone is packing.:) I do mostly 2 weeks cruises so that is the best way for me to know when the Finals will be. On two week cruises, the 2nd Formal is usually near the end of the first week ( weekend )

Orville, the way I can remember it since it does vary, is the last Final will never be on the final night of the cruise since everyone is packing.:) I do mostly 2 weeks cruises so that is the best way for me to know when the Finals will be. On two week cruises, the 2nd Formal is usually near the end of the first week ( weekend )
This is my experience as well on our 7 day and 2 weeks cruises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Feel free to wear anything you desire except for tee shirts and shorts.

• 7 months later...
On 10/5/2018 at 10:35 AM, orville99 said:

The second formal night depends on the ship and itinerary. On 7 night eastern cruises out of Florida it is typically on night 5. When those ships do a western the following week, it is typically on night 6. We just got off of Oasis (Eastern), and it was on night 5 (port day in San Juan). Our last Oasis Western was on night 6 (port day in Cozumel).

Hi -  Would you happen to know what nights are formal for serenade of the sees  cruising 7 nights Boston to Bermuda with a three day stay in Bermuda. We are trying to book an excursion. Thanks in advance. 

50 minutes ago, erniemiss said:

Hi -  Would you happen to know what nights are formal for serenade of the sees  cruising 7 nights Boston to Bermuda with a three day stay in Bermuda. We are trying to book an excursion. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry, haven't cruised to Bermuda since the early 80's, and back then every night was suit and tie.