libraries

grest

I mostly read on my iPad, but I don't like to take it around water. So, if we have a beach day planned, I like to pick up a book from the library. Very handy and I always find something to read. I'm glad that they still have them. There weren't many books available on the Sunshine last year, though.

On the Conquest last week every time I went by the library it was either closed for a private party (people playing cards) or closed period, and I had trouble finding the open hours in the Fun Times.

And coevan, a lot of people don't want to bring their e-devices to the beach or pool for fear of damage. I read 4 paper books on my 10 day vacation and left 2 in my stateroom so I didn't have to carry them home.

Amazon? Kindle? why not find a book you like before you cruise. Not many people can complete a book in a week.

I read 2 on our last cruise, but they were on my Kindle. The library on the Dream is a joke, it is about the size of a cabin with a couple dozen books in it. I believe it was most often used by the friends of bill for their meetings.

How does the library work? Do you check books out, or is it an honor system? Do people donate books?

Don't know, the one on the Dream was not locked and there was no attendant to do any sort of check out. There didn't appear to be much in there that would have been worth checking out anyway.

How does the library work? Do you check books out, or is it an honor system? Do people donate books?

Different on different ships. They used to have hours and an attendant would check the book out to you. They may have eliminated this job as the last several cruises it was open all day and no attendant. Honor system to return book. People do donate books.

If you take a book it's better to be hard bound rather than paperback. Hard bound will lay open so you can eat or whatever, paperback won't.

Look in the Fun Times because certain hours of the day (3- 4pm, 5 - 6PM) may be set aside for private groups. You don't want to start a board or card game or a book search and then have to leave if a "private function" is booked.