Carry on Electronics

rothbury

I was lucky enough to be flying premium economy on my Air Canada Rouge flight from Lisbon to Toronto, so they handed out tablets. Otherwise, I'd have been trying to watch a movie on my phone. It would be an issue.
Haven't at least half of aircraft bombings involved airline (primarily ground) employees? IMO - WOW I can take my device that I am reasonably sure will not blow my nuts off before killing me in the crash, OR I can take my my chances with who knows whom. The inmates are running the asylum.

Just last year I bought a large capacity external battery to charge things like my phone or tablet. I'm sure this ban will affect these batteries as well?

What's crazy is that is that I also have a large capacity external battery, and its absolutely too large to be checked in luggage.

It's explicitly against the rules at my workplace to check our laptops - I'm not even allowed to leave it in my car unsupervised. I have no idea what this will do to our international travel to and from europe.

It is interesting that the US media, and so far I understand that this ruling would apply only to flights to the USA, do not mention cameras. Should we start a campaign that will get the US media aware of something this isn't on showing up on their twitter?

There is a post on Facebook that describes how one airline is handling the ban. Your electronics are packed up in sealed boxes when you check in and then claimed by you when you exit the plane upon arrival at your destination. The ban just means your electronics are not physically with you on the flight. Although the article states there is no standardization of this process, I would assume most airlines are following.

Although the article states there is no standardization of this process, I would assume most airlines are following.

Airlines like Emirates, Etihad and Turkish Airlines are doing this, but they tend to have a better history of customer service.

It remains to be seen how US airlines will respond if the ban is extended to cover routes that they fly using their own aircraft rather than codeshares.

BBC report 8 hours ago as far as electronics go things will stay as they are for the time being. Looks like the battery situation is the sticking point especially were the pilots are concerned. So happy cruising with all our electric gadgets, gentlemen no wet shaving just yet even then you wouldn't get away with a cut throught the razor in your carry on! CA

True, they will meet next week to discuss again. But the way it's being reported insinuates that a ban won't be enacted soon. Obviously nobody knows for sure.

We fly out tomorrow for Europe and come home Memorial Day, so we'll have to pay attention to see if anything changes next week. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this just isn't going to go away! Not sure I understand why they just don't keep the latest screening in place. If they want me to take my camera out of the bag and screen my electronics separately....I'm okay with that. I just don't get how they think relegating electronics to the cargo hold is going to prevent anything. As I recall Pan Am 103 was brought down by a bomb in the cargo hold. Then top that off with the Li-Ion batteries and fires that have brought down a plane and it just doesn't make sense to me. I will gladly show my electronics as legitimate to whomever wants to inspect them. I believe this is already being tested in 10 U.S. airports. Has anybody gone through security with the new rules in place? If so, was it that bad? I'm sure it probably slows things down but if that is what it has come to.....it is what it is!

Looks like this just isn't going to go away! Not sure I understand why they just don't keep the latest screening in place. If they want me to take my camera out of the bag and screen my electronics separately....I'm okay with that. I just don't get how they think relegating electronics to the cargo hold is going to prevent anything. As I recall Pan Am 103 was brought down by a bomb in the cargo hold. Then top that off with the Li-Ion batteries and fires that have brought down a plane and it just doesn't make sense to me. I will gladly show my electronics as legitimate to whomever wants to inspect them. I believe this is already being tested in 10 U.S. airports. Has anybody gone through security with the new rules in place? If so, was it that bad? I'm sure it probably slows things down but if that is what it has come to.....it is what it is!

The US and Western Europe both have a population of about 300,000,000 people. Terrorist attacks kill less than 100 people per year in each while 30,000 die in car accidents.

Recently son and his other half travelled to Miami with children aged 3 and 4. Both little ones had Ipads with their "special" cartoons and games pre loaded. I would hate to be the one who tells them they cannot have them on the plane.

You are so right! Our daughter in law flew with the girls...2 and 4 from the east coast to Omaha and back for Easter. Two IPads kept them entertained. This will not be pretty for anyone if they cannot take them anymore.

United is also doing away with screens at least on domestic flights. I guess we'll have to go back to lugging books and magazines...remember those?

Just stocked up on paperbacks for our upcoming flight to Europe. I was counting on the Kindle to be able to read all night while everyone sleeps. Now I'll have to turn the light on...perhaps disturbing others and definitely not seeing as well for me...as I am never able to sleep on a plane.

Looks like the US Airlines came crying to the government to get the ban extended to all countries! A lot of people were saying they'd start flying to Europe via Canada and that would get into the US carriers pocket book!

Perhaps we should just all sit naked on the planes, with no carry on, after we've been fully probed. Sounds like a typical government response!

I agree with you. I would feel less safe with all those batteries in the hold. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall screening time is about the same.

That said, TSA does a lot of stuff that is totally ineffective, so this new procedure doesn't comfort me one bit.

Edited by CPT Trips

I agree with you. I would feel less safe with all those batteries in the hold. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall screening time is about the same.

That said, TSA does a lot of stuff that is totally ineffective, so this new procedure doesn't comfort me one bit.

Ugh. I agree too. What a pain, and probably no safer.

Glad we got home yesterday before they had a chance to implement any of these new schemes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Looks like the US Airlines came crying to the government to get the ban extended to all countries! A lot of people were saying they'd start flying to Europe via Canada and that would get into the US carriers pocket book!

Perhaps we should just all sit naked on the planes, with no carry on, after we've been fully probed. Sounds like a typical government response!

This is so crazy -- this obsession with planes and making them safer from terrorist. As I said before, very, very few Americans have ever been killed by terrorists on planes but 35,000 Americans die each year from car accidents. Just this past week, I had one high school classmate hit and killed by a drunk driver and another hit by a drunk driver and left with a concussion and two broken hands.

A JetBlue flight was forced to divert today due to a Li-Ion battery fire in the passenger compartment:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/us/jetblue-flight-fire/index.html

I don't know about anybody else but this is REALLY starting to make me nervous to fly now! They prevented a disaster. In the cargo hold passengers won't be so lucky!

Just flew out of Basel on 31 May after Viking Rhine Getaway. They now want you to take pretty much all electronics bigger than a phone or compact camera out of you bag and place it separately in the tray with any case cover open (used to be only laptops had to come out). Our tablets (10" and 8" android) were already powered on, so not sure if they would have asked if they weren't. I asked about my camera, and he asked what size it was - compact or full size (DSLR). I was travelling with a small Canon Powershot, and he said no need. But if it had been a bigger camera, it probably would have also had to get scanned in a separate tray.

I originally was going to take my Dell XPS 13 on the trip (to sort and organize photos), but decided not to after hearing of the potential ban. My tablet was a lot less expensive, and not as big a deal if I lose it. And then I figured out that USB OTG (On-The-Go) would let me transfer photos to the tablet just as easily as to a laptop.

Just flew out of Basel on 31 May after Viking Rhine Getaway. They now want you to take pretty much all electronics bigger than a phone or compact camera out of you bag and place it separately in the tray with any case cover open (used to be only laptops had to come out).

This isn't really a new thing, most EU airports have been requiring tablets as well as laptops to be scanned separately for some time now.

I fly out of LHR many times a year and I'm struggling to remember the last time I didn't have to remove a tablet.

Leaving from the US is a lot easier since I have TSA-Precheck, so nothing at all comes out of the bag, but elsewhere around the world it is relatively normal to remove electronics larger than phones.

I don't know about anybody else but this is REALLY starting to make me nervous to fly now! They prevented a disaster. In the cargo hold passengers won't be so lucky!

Those batteries would never have been permitted in the cargo hold, the current rules don't allow spares there, but it does highlight the concern about the original proposed extension of the limits on what can go in the cabin as it would increase the chance that people would pack such items in the hold even though they were not allowed.

Fortunately for now at least, the plans to extend the limits seem to be on hold.