question on taking insurance with cruise 2 years away

tommy47

last week I booked the edge for 2 years from now and took travel insurance. now the more I think about this I probably should have waited until just before they take out the final payment like about a year and a half from now. its my understanding that if I ever decided to cancel the cruise before the final payment I would lose the money I paid for the insurance so to me now it makes no sense that I do the insurance now. I think I read somewhere that you have 14 days after the booking of travel insurance that you can cancel it.but im not sure. looking for some suggestions. thank you

Did you take the insurance from Celebrity or a private vendor? If it is Celebrity's insurance you don't pay for it until final payment so if you cancel prior to final payment there is not cost. If it is private insurance it depends on the terms of the insurance company.

i booked it through a travel agent so i used their insurance. can you book a cruise through a travel agent and then call celebrity and book just the insurance with them? actually it really doesn't make any sense i guess to ever book insurance until just before the final payment because if you cancel it for any reason before the final payment you wont need the insurance. what does everyone think ?

Call or email the TA. On the insurance I have taken out you can transfer it to another cruise. I usually buy within 7 days of booking so all pre-existing medical conditions are covered, and I wouldn't want to risk that with insurance bought later on.

last week I booked the edge for 2 years from now and took travel insurance. now the more I think about this I probably should have waited until just before they take out the final payment like about a year and a half from now. its my understanding that if I ever decided to cancel the cruise before the final payment I would lose the money I paid for the insurance so to me now it makes no sense that I do the insurance now. I think I read somewhere that you have 14 days after the booking of travel insurance that you can cancel it.but im not sure. looking for some suggestions. thank you

Many travel insurance policies I've used over the years requires it to be purchased within 14 days after you first make a payment in order to have pre-existing medical issues covered.

There are many good recommendations on the insurance threads on these boards. We now buy ins through a private vendor and insure just the deposit. That covers the preexisting conditions and is relatively inexpensive. Then we insure the total cost just before making final payment. We use Trip Insurance Store because it was recommended by many people.

2 years is a long time and a lot can happen. We previously purchased insurance that allowed us to modify it, so when we booked we would get insurance that insured the amount of the deposit- minimal cost. Then when it was time for final payment we would modify the policy to cover the full cost. But by purchasing within 14 days of booking we locked in the pre-existing condition waiver.

Lately we are traveling more so we buy a annual travel insurance policy rather than a policy covering just one trip.

Having insured my Mum in the UK for several cruises we now leave it until final payment to buy insurance. This is mainly because between taking it out and the sailing they require you to notify them of ANY medical conditions, appointments, tests, results, changes to medication etc which with my Mum at 82 are plentiful. By doing it closer to the sailing there is less to declare. They will find any way to avoid paying out a claim if you don't declare everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I am iffy on whether or not I will take the cruise and it is that far out, I don't tend to book it until final payment, as you won't get that money paid out for the insurance back. Plus, there might be some pricing adjustments on the sailing before final payment that may have saved you a little on the insurance as well. However, because you've already booked it, well, at least it will cover any pre-existing conditions that you may have. I would take comfort in that.

It will not cover lots of important issues if you wait past 21 days past deposit.

We usually take out insurance within 21 days of booking so that per existing will be covered. If we modify the cruise price in any way, increase or decrease, or cancel that particular cruise, we are able to transfer our policy to another cruise or vacation. Travelex has always been so easy to deal with. Even with land trips, we purchase air before hotels which we've prepaid via Priceline, and we increase/modify the policy cost accordingly.

A couple times we've canceled a cruise booking after an entire year and moved existing policy over to another cheaper cruise, and Travelex has sent us a refund for the difference in price, which we weren't expecting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having insured my Mum in the UK for several cruises we now leave it until final payment to buy insurance.

You obviously aren't concerned about the Cancellation Cover element of the policy.

My last few cruises I have bought my insurance through - Trip Insurance Store, from Steve - who is highly rated here. I've always waited to purchase insurance until just before final payment but this time I purchased within the initial 20 day window from the first cruise payment in order to get pre-existing conditions covered. This is on a cruise that is booked for 2/2019.

This makes sense for us for many reasons - we both have elderly parents and the look back period (as I understand it) on many policies applies to them as well and also because I have a pre-existing condition that while at this time is fine -- in two years who knows.

Here is the key thing - I could purchase my insurance to only cover that portion of the cruise that I had paid for - the deposit in this case. As I pay the cruise off - I can raise the insurance that amount. Which in the case of cancellation I would only be out that amount.

I chose to pay mine all at once - as we have zero thoughts of cancelling but it was nice to know that the option existed. It does alleviate some of the risk of purchasing insurance early.

We use the trip insurance store where the agent helps us choose the correct policy based upon our particular needs. We only purchase the initial policy to cover the deposit amount and bump up coverage as additional non refundable costs are incurred. This keeps the premium low at the beginning and only raises at air purchase or final payment.

The advantage is that since I purchase within the allotted time of deposit date, the pre-existing conditions are waived.

You'll find a wealth of trip insurance information on the insurance board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Call or email the TA. On the insurance I have taken out you can transfer it to another cruise. I usually buy within 7 days of booking so all pre-existing medical conditions are covered, and I wouldn't want to risk that with insurance bought later on.

Glad you brought this up - one of the main reasons we purchase travel insurance is the medical coverage.