How much does a butler in the Haven make for a week?

Fred Quimby

we tip the butler and concierge based on the service we receive and how much we use the service.

same with the courtyard valet. we used him the most probably, followed by the butler, only use the concierge service for priority disembark, nothing else.

And you're spot on. Tipping should always be about the level of service.

I've been flabbergasted at least twice reading something similar to below on CC:

'If the service is good I'll tip 20% and if it's bad 15%'. The craziest thing I've read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed. I always tip based on service. If it's flat out horrible, why would I tip them?? I am not going to reward someone for bad service.

And you're spot on. Tipping should always be about the level of service.

I've been flabbergasted at least twice reading something similar to below on CC:

'If the service is good I'll tip 20% and if it's bad 15%'. The craziest thing I've read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly!!! If someone goes out of their way & provides good service, they tip 5 cents on the dollar more?

If people actually give 10$ pp per cabin over andabove DSC .you can easily figure out how many cabins they have and how many pax they cater to .This should give you a rough estimate of how much theymake .

If people are willing to pay for a suite in Haven they should be ready to cough up the recommended tip .

Some people get super duper treatment ....so IMO they deserve the tips they make ....

Salary pay the income tax.

TIP's pay the Butler.

Using that logic, they are better off without a tip. Income is taxed based on income, regardless of the country.

I think we all know no one on any ship works solely for tips. They all earn a wage. NCL is very good to their employees.

Tipping should always be based on service, not guilt.

This fascinates me why anyone would ask this question. Can someone name any other time in your life where you ask this question? When you go to the local diner? When you buy a car? When you get your hair cut? Seriously?

This fascinates me why anyone would ask this question. Can someone name any other time in your life where you ask this question? When you go to the local diner? When you buy a car? When you get your hair cut? Seriously?

The OP was just throwing out a fish hook to see how many bites he could get. Some folks just never learn not to nibble though. :cool:

I have a good friend who has been a butler on NCL for 6 years now taking as short of vacations as he is allowed. I will not mention his name or what ships he has been on but I will say that about half of his time he has been sailing out of New York. He is extremely friendly and a really hard worker. He was more than willing to share what he makes and his working experiences with me. I asked if I could pass this on to the CC crowd as there has been a lot of questions on this subject for a long time. He had no problem with me sharing any info. He and a lot of other workers on the ships know of CC. Even though CC members are a small portion of cruisers, "CC's voice" is heard.

Anyway here are some numbers and facts.

He has averaged $106,000 per year for the 6 years.

The low being his second year at $89,000 and the high being the 5th year at $121,000.

His salary is low and he and the other butlers rely on their tips.

His low week for tips was $160 and his high was $12,200(a big gambler took care of him).

He would much rather have many smaller or mid level suites than fewer of the big ones.

His most generous tippers are the service industry people and the police, fireman, corrections cruisers. This seems to be the same anywhere. The worst tippers seem to be the younger cruisers who just do not know any better and the ones who are flaunting their money.

He loves his job and loves to take care of all of the different people each week. He really takes care of the children and this seems to reflect in his tips. Honestly I think he would play games with the kids tip or not, he is a big kid at heart. He knows of some butlers who really do not like it when they get kids in their rooms for the week.

I asked about other salaries for the butlers and he said that he makes more than most with just a few making more.

He loves his job but can see himself doing something else once he gets involved seriously with a woman which is in the works right now.

I asked about the concierge salary and he said that they are pretty tight lipped about it. He seems to think though that they make about 50% more than what a good butler makes. He compared a good concierge to a politician that you can trust.

I apologize for that I thought that it was a valid question.

I have thought that some people really need the tip to get a decent income but it seems like that's not correct.

Now I know that tipping is based on service and not on salary so I can tip according to that.

I apologize for that I thought that it was a valid question.

I have thought that some people really need the tip to get a decent income but it seems like that's not correct.

Now I know that tipping is based on service and not on salary so I can tip according to that.

I think its a valid question. I just made a quick google about Sweden tipping and looks kind of similar as here in Spain. We do not have to tip at all, not tipping is not rude or something that needs to be explained. The guy that brings my pizza or my supermarket order does not expect a tip, or even at bars or restaurants. We tip if we want or had a very good service, and never based on percentages; Maybe I go for dinner, the receipt is 48€ and I just leave the 50€ bill, and thats totally fine(or also leaving nothing)

OK, you tip based on service, but everyone should understand that in different countries there's a different tipping culture. And is ok for people to want to know how to do it on a cruise.

OK, you tip based on service, but everyone should understand that in different countries there's a different tipping culture. And is ok for people to want to know how to do it on a cruise.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got no issues answering questions about tipping on a cruise ship, but what I don't understand is why folks have to say how it is done where they live or that they disagree with the system, because neither has any impact or bearing on tipping on a cruise ship.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got no issues answering questions about tipping on a cruise ship, but what I don't understand is why folks have to say how it is done where they live or that they disagree with the system, because neither has any impact on tipping on a cruise ship.

It has to do, as long as maybe one person gives 100$ to the butler believing it is a very good tip while maybe the reality is that the salary is based on tips and thats a small amount. Also others may want to understand why they pay 15% gratuities when asking for a bottle of beer on the bar with no service for a table.

I do not see whats bad on disagreeing with the system, people can have their own thoughts.

It has to do, as long as maybe one person gives 100$ to the butler believing it is a very good tip while maybe the reality is that the salary is based on tips and thats a small amount. Also others may want to understand why they pay 15% gratuities when asking for a bottle of beer on the bar with no service for a table.

I do not see whats bad on disagreeing with the system, people can have their own thoughts.

Folks should tip their Butler what they feel comfortable giving based on their service, how that service is rendered and their budget and not based on what the Butler's salary is, what others tip or tip or don't tip back home. If you ask me what I tip and I tell you and then if you say it is too much or not enough, then I wonder why someone asked if they know what they are going to give or not give.

The system is what it is on cruise, just like the system here in the US and what does it accomplish by complaining about it or saying it is wrong, because it isn't going to change. When I go to other countries, I do a lot of research on their customs, etc., and even though I might disagree with things that they do, it is their country and if I choose to travel there, then I respectfully following their rules and customs and don't try to force my country's customs on them, because they really don't care what I do back home.

Wage information by classification is not confidential - the US Department of Labor publishes an annual report on the salaries of over 800 occupations in the US. I don't know if that category is listed, but you can check. It is the salary of an individual that is confidential. I think Parade magazine publishes an article each year on the salaries of individuals in specific occupations, but the information is given voluntarily. You might check back issues to see if that classification was included. Employers in the US conduct wage surveys to check their wages against industry or area norms. Some of those surveys are published - especially is they are done by an industry wide organization such as SHRM.

Again, wages by classification are usually not confidential - it is an individual's wage than should be treated as confidential.

Edited by yukongold

As far as I'm concerned, I've got no issues answering questions about tipping on a cruise ship, but what I don't understand is why folks have to say how it is done where they live or that they disagree with the system, because neither has any impact or bearing on tipping on a cruise ship.

I agree that it doesn't matter how we tip in Sweden or in the US.

The question is how to do it on a cruiseship.

NCL say "cruise like a Norwegian". Does that mean that no tip is needed because in Norway a tip is not required?

I have a good friend who has been a butler on NCL for 6 years now taking as short of vacations as he is allowed. I will not mention his name or what ships he has been on but I will say that about half of his time he has been sailing out of New York. He is extremely friendly and a really hard worker. He was more than willing to share what he makes and his working experiences with me. I asked if I could pass this on to the CC crowd as there has been a lot of questions on this subject for a long time. He had no problem with me sharing any info. He and a lot of other workers on the ships know of CC. Even though CC members are a small portion of cruisers, "CC's voice" is heard.

Anyway here are some numbers and facts.

He has averaged $106,000 per year for the 6 years.

The low being his second year at $89,000 and the high being the 5th year at $121,000.

His salary is low and he and the other butlers rely on their tips.

His low week for tips was $160 and his high was $12,200(a big gambler took care of him).

He would much rather have many smaller or mid level suites than fewer of the big ones.

His most generous tippers are the service industry people and the police, fireman, corrections cruisers. This seems to be the same anywhere. The worst tippers seem to be the younger cruisers who just do not know any better and the ones who are flaunting their money.

He loves his job and loves to take care of all of the different people each week. He really takes care of the children and this seems to reflect in his tips. Honestly I think he would play games with the kids tip or not, he is a big kid at heart. He knows of some butlers who really do not like it when they get kids in their rooms for the week.

I asked about other salaries for the butlers and he said that he makes more than most with just a few making more.

He loves his job but can see himself doing something else once he gets involved seriously with a woman which is in the works right now.

I asked about the concierge salary and he said that they are pretty tight lipped about it. He seems to think though that they make about 50% more than what a good butler makes. He compared a good concierge to a politician that you can trust.

Thanks for answering the question,,,apparently everyone else is blind

Don't tipped employees have a different minimum wage is the US ?

In most states, yes. Some have a minimum wage as low as 2.35 an hour. Others require tip income to either raise that to the local or federal minimum wage or the employer makes it up to make the wages minimum wage (about $8 an hour, I guess ... I'm in California where servers earn minimum wage like all other workers, and it's over $10 an hour now).

Tips are counted as income in the US, and some workers are expected to make money on tips.

NCL, however, says you should never feel obligated to tip because the service charge encourages their employees to work as a team. You are free to tip positions that do not share in the service charge benefits like your butler and concierge. NCLs mistake has been that they made the suites too inexpensive, so they get people who hate to tip in them. I suspect that's why suite prices are through the roof. You simply don't see tipping threads with the frequency on other "higher class" lines boards here.

I agree that it doesn't matter how we tip in Sweden or in the US.

The question is how to do it on a cruiseship.

NCL say "cruise like a Norwegian". Does that mean that no tip is needed because in Norway a tip is not required?

Good point [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reach into your pocket and take out the amount of money you want to tip and hand it to the person you are tipping! :)

If the tip is for good service I may give $10 for a breakfast in our suite. If I also have to compensate for a low salary it might be a little more.