Forgive me if I can't ask this question regarding a travel agency.

We have always booked with RC directly. On our last trip we booked another cruise while onboard. The agent mentioned something about transferring to our travel agent to handle the details.

Is this a common thing and do we save anything, maybe get other perks?

Thank you!

Very common. If you booked previously through a TA, your booking is automatically transferred to that TA unless you ask them not to. You can get whatever price or perks the TA offers but still keep your OBC for booking onboard.

TA can not discount much with RCL. It's the extra perks you can get that make the difference. We booked Symphony of the Seas with Royal to get the OBC being offered and C@A balcony discount, then switched to the online TA that we use. We picked up a matching OBC, one specialty dinning for two, and $188.00 addional OBC towards pre-paid gratuities. We always get pre paid grats but this time there was a limit. You only have 60 days after booking to switch to a TA.. happy cruising

TA can not discount much with RCL. It's the extra perks you can get that make the difference. We booked Symphony of the Seas with Royal to get the OBC being offered and C@A balcony discount, then switched to the online TA that we use. We picked up a matching OBC, one specialty dinning for two, and $188.00 addional OBC towards pre-paid gratuities. We always get pre paid grats but this time there was a limit. You only have 60 days after booking to switch to a TA.. happy cruising

Other than providing a small price difference if you are purchasing a stateroom out of a block of booked staterooms that the TA has, they cannot discount the RCI stateroom at all. And in that situation you would be limited in stateroom selection to those included in their block of reserved staterooms. That is the case, BTW, with most mast market cruise lines - the base stateroom rate is the same at any given time directly through the cruise line or a TA. Any "discounts" are coming from blocked room pricing or directly out of their commissions.

Did you book a suite?

Did you book a suite?

We did book a junior suite for the double points. We also were given a 150.00 OBC

, and a balcony discount was extended to us even though we turned platinum on this cruise.

So we can keep the stateroom we chose, and the OBC, plus any of the perks the travel agent offers? Is that correct?

We did book a junior suite for the double points. We also were given a 150.00 OBC

, and a balcony discount was extended to us even though we turned platinum on this cruise.

So we can keep the stateroom we chose, and the OBC, plus any of the perks the travel agent offers? Is that correct?

Yes. As long as you transfer it within 60 days of the original booking date the reservation transfers as booked to the TA you select.

Anything else the TA may add is separate from that booking but is conveyed to the reservation by them. Their OBC, as example - should one be added - may not appear on your reservation on the RCI website but RCI will honor it as conveyed by the TA to them. Just keep a receipt of anything added by the TA to be sure.

Other than providing a small price difference if you are purchasing a stateroom out of a block of booked staterooms that the TA has, they cannot discount the RCI stateroom at all. And in that situation you would be limited in stateroom selection to those included in their block of reserved staterooms. Any "discounts" are coming from blocked room pricing or directly out of their commissions.

I keep seeing this posted and every time I say, well my TA certainly is not adhering to any of those rules.

Biker, whose TA discounts ( sometimes deeply) below RCI on every single cruise in all categories without any limit on cabin location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a little confused as I almost always book through RCI. Only one time I booked through a TA, but when I noticed a big price drop and called the ship, I was told that changes could only be made through my TA. As the deal was only for 24 hrs., I had some anxious hours before I was able to get in touch with her. Does this thread mean that if I originally book with RCI and then transfer to a TA, I am now allowed to contact RCI with changes on my own?

I am a little confused as I almost always book through RCI. Only one time I booked through a TA, but when I noticed a big price drop and called the ship, I was told that changes could only be made through my TA. As the deal was only for 24 hrs., I had some anxious hours before I was able to get in touch with her. Does this thread mean that if I originally book with RCI and then transfer to a TA, I am now allowed to contact RCI with changes on my own?

No, if your booking is currently held by a TA, you must deal with the TA for price drops. It does not matter how the initial booking was made.

If you booked on board and got OBC as part of that on board booking, please be aware that Royal is now enforcing the policy of not allowing that OBC to be kept if you transfer to a TA and they put you into group rates. It's one or the other.

Previously, while this was, I am told, the policy, it's now being enforced. So for example, you get your price and $150 OBC for your cabin when booking on board. You transfer to your TA and they have group rates that are $50 less per person than you booked, plus they can give you a $25 OBC for your cabin. So you're saving $125. However, you're giving up the $150 OBC that you got for the on board booking.

So you need to discuss this with your TA and make sure that you're not going to be losing money by taking the group rates. I've had to make this decision for clients of mine when the price I could offer was less, but they had to give up their OBC.

Similar to booking during a WOW sale, getting OBC and then having a price drop and losing that OBC. Always make sure you're comparing the total price.

i hadnt followed TA threads before but i wasnt aware of the 60 day rule. i'm well past 60 since i booked so on the off chance i would do a TA, i guess i'd have to cancel then rebook with them.

Correct, and you would lose any perks/prices you had with the original booking.

If you booked on board and got OBC as part of that on board booking, please be aware that Royal is now enforcing the policy of not allowing that OBC to be kept if you transfer to a TA and they put you into group rates. It's one or the other.

Previously, while this was, I am told, the policy, it's now being enforced. So for example, you get your price and $150 OBC for your cabin when booking on board. You transfer to your TA and they have group rates that are $50 less per person than you booked, plus they can give you a $25 OBC for your cabin. So you're saving $125. However, you're giving up the $150 OBC that you got for the on board booking.

So you need to discuss this with your TA and make sure that you're not going to be losing money by taking the group rates. I've had to make this decision for clients of mine when the price I could offer was less, but they had to give up their OBC.

Similar to booking during a WOW sale, getting OBC and then having a price drop and losing that OBC. Always make sure you're comparing the total price.

You can just tell them you dont want to be part of the group and just keep the reservation and price the way it is. In my experience the group rates require a full deposit as well so it negates the low deposit you get with the onboard booking.

Totally WRONG! I just transferred our Sept 2018 booking, kept the onboard OBC as well as my TA's substantial OBC. Both confirmed in writing on my updated Confirmation Sheet.

Guess it depends on the TA......

Totally WRONG! I just transferred our Sept 2018 booking, kept the onboard OBC as well as my TA's substantial OBC. Both confirmed in writing on my updated Confirmation Sheet.

Guess it depends on the TA......

Your booking can be with a travel agent, without being in a group booking.

Other than providing a small price difference if you are purchasing a stateroom out of a block of booked staterooms that the TA has, they cannot discount the RCI stateroom at all. And in that situation you would be limited in stateroom selection to those included in their block of reserved staterooms. That is the case, BTW, with most mast market cruise lines - the base stateroom rate is the same at any given time directly through the cruise line or a TA. Any "discounts" are coming from blocked room pricing or directly out of their commissions.

Completely disagree. I've always received a discount thru a TA (plus OBC). Some discounts pretty substantial!

Completely disagree. I've always received a discount thru a TA (plus OBC). Some discounts pretty substantial!

The poster you replied to said "Any "discounts" are coming from blocked room pricing or directly out of their commissions"

What do you mean you "completely disagree?" Did your TA explicitly say your discount and OBC is not due to blocked room pricing or a commission split?

The poster you replied to said "Any "discounts" are coming from blocked room pricing or directly out of their commissions"

What do you mean you "completely disagree?" Did your TA explicitly say your discount and OBC is not due to blocked room pricing or a commission split?

Aw, good point!