Thought on Zaandam 22 day Anarctic Cruise

wesport

Forgive me for being a bit contrarian. The idea of cruising to Antarctica is fantastic. But the thought of seeing parts of Antarctica from a distance (while looking from a cruise ship deck) just hits me the wrong way. If we are going to fly and cruise all the way to that continent....we want to walk on the continent. And unfortunately, you can not do that on a HAL cruise. But it can be done on some other lines such as Hurtigruten., Ponent, etc.

Hank

From what I have seen in videos, the Zaandam gets close enough to the beauty for me.

I do not disagree with your premise. But, unfortunately, one ages. One becomes less mobile. One cannot always sail such an itinerary as an Antarctica cruise in one's more youthful years. For me, at this stage of my life--and probably others as well--zodiac landings on the Continent would be highly desirable. But, attempting to do so would be highly unwise.

This is a cruise that I ought to have done 10 years or so ago. But, for a variety of reasons, I did not want to do so nor did it then appeal as much as other cruises I chose to book.

I am thankful that I have finally decided to book this Zaandam cruise and am hopeful that, God willing, I will be able to enjoy the experiences that I hope to have.

Very well said.

Just wanted to say thank you to all who have chimed in on this thread to share their experiences with the Antarctica cruise and all the helpful tips. We are booked on the 22 day Christmas/New Years cruise this year and just cannot wait for this experience, and this thread has made us even more excited.

For those who have been, are there any excursions on this itinerary that are particular must dos (besides the penguins mentioned upthread)?

After several days of deliberation, we have decided to bite the bullet and book a vista suite on the 12/15 Zaandam Antarctica cruise. 22 days , would like the extra room. Having direct flights from and to Miami helped with the decision. Only a short ride from Fort Lauderdale

After several days of deliberation, we have decided to bite the bullet and book a vista suite on the 12/15 Zaandam Antarctica cruise. 22 days , would like the extra room. Having direct flights from and to Miami helped with the decision. Only a short ride from Fort Lauderdale

I don't think you could have made a bad decision on the cabin. But I am sure it is nice to have made a decision and booked it. I hope you enjoy the cruise. We will be getting on the Zaandam when you leave her to do the same cruise in reverse.

We spent some time on our balcony but not nearly as much time as we would spend in warmer climates.

For most sights, we wanted to be out on deck with a 360 degree view. For parts of the Beagle we were in our room but the weather was windy/cool. We appreciated the floor to ceiling sliding door/window when we were viewing inside our cabin.

The weather can be extremely variable. It is anyone's guess what you will have.

I do not disagree with your premise. But, unfortunately, one ages. One becomes less mobile. One cannot always sail such an itinerary as an Antarctica cruise in one's more youthful years. For me, at this stage of my life--and probably others as well--zodiac landings on the Continent would be highly desirable. But, attempting to do so would be highly unwise.

This is a cruise that I ought to have done 10 years or so ago. But, for a variety of reasons, I did not want to do so nor did it then appeal as much as other cruises I chose to book.

I am thankful that I have finally decided to book this Zaandam cruise and am hopeful that, God willing, I will be able to enjoy the experiences that I hope to have.

We did Hurtigruten couple years ago. Been there done that. For the price it was outrageous but we did enjoy a helicopter ride and hiked. I would enjoy doing exactly what your doing and to each his own! This is your cruise and seeing Antarctica from the wonderful Zaandam will be fantastic!!!!

I will never forget us on the bow of the ship enjoying hot chocolate and commenting on the white caps out n the water from a distance and everyone laughing telling us those are ice bergs!!! LOL 😂.

So enjoy! We love the Zaandam!

Denise :)

The December 15, 2017 cruise attracts me, and the price on a Vista Suite is $3,000 less than the January, 2018 return. Why the difference? Is there less wildlife to be seen in the earlier cruise?

Could there be a large group already booked? That was what happened when I went, and the ship sold out. I was waitlisted.

Adding: yep, I think so:

https://www.funforlesstours.com/trips/antarctica-south-america-2/

Could there be a large group already booked? That was what happened when I went, and the ship sold out. I was waitlisted.

Adding: yep, I think so:

https://www.funforlesstours.com/trips/antarctica-south-america-2/

I wouldn't think that this tour companies having a small group would have that much of an impact on pricing. I never even looked at the Dec. 15 cruise, since I assumed it would be more expensive, being over the holidays. I should have realized that this isn't the type cruise that would be desirable with those that can only cruise during school vacations. Having said that, our friends that are going with us couldn't go on it anyway, due to other holiday activities. I agree with wesport, that this is probably the reason.

I am following the prices of Zaandam's Antarctica cruises, they have gone up. Figure there is less demand for the December 15th sailing for whatever reason. We thoroughly enjoyed our 2011 Veendam cruise from Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro, regretted we were not able to fit an Antarctica sail by and Iquazu Falls into our schedule, maybe next time.

While an Antarctica landing would be terrific, I am afraid that sea sickness could ruin the small ship cruise and fear that weather might prevent landings. The premium price is a deterrent to this bargain seeker, too.

I wouldn't think that this tour companies having a small group would have that much of an impact on pricing. I never even looked at the Dec. 15 cruise, since I assumed it would be more expensive, being over the holidays. I should have realized that this isn't the type cruise that would be desirable with those that can only cruise during school vacations. Having said that, our friends that are going with us couldn't go on it anyway, due to other holiday activities. I agree with wesport, that this is probably the reason.

There were just under 400 people in the group and it was a sell out. It was enough that they had their own speakers (in the morning- before regular programming started) and hired their own tour busses in ports. There was no impact I saw on dining.

Congratulations! I don't think you will regret your decision. The larger stateroom/ verandah is a plus on longer cruises. We did make use of the open deck space, but loved that when we were in our stateroom we could run out and look at things. At the front of the verandah deck there was a good viewing area with easy access that we used.

I know you will have a fantastic time!

Karen

DH and I are also very interested in this cruise, most likely one of the January offerings.

May I have some opinion which direction is preferable?

Also, any vaccination requirements for US citizens?

VP to BA is better, since you will appreciate the Chilean fjords more, since they are before Antarctica. But I am still doing the Jan BA to VP cruise. The timing is just better for us.

After over 20 Holland America cruise's our Valparaiso to Buenes Aires Antarctic cruise is still number 1!

We did it on the Veendam and just loved it.

We did Manchu Piichu and Iguazu Falls pre and post cruise on our own. Awesome adventure.!

We also had a great Roll Call and wonderful CC members.

Book Am Danno!

Edited by aliaschief

VP to BA is better, since you will appreciate the Chilean fjords more, since they are before Antarctica. But I am still doing the Jan BA to VP cruise. The timing is just better for us.

We agree VP to BA would be our first choice.

DH and I are also very interested in this cruise, most likely one of the January offerings.

May I have some opinion which direction is preferable?

Also, any vaccination requirements for US citizens?

I've done both directions, and each has their advantages.

There is nothing like the approach to Antarctica when you first see a small piece of floating ice, then another, then more, and they grow larger. It is a spectacular introduction to the main event. The excitement just builds!

However, in that direction the glaciers and bergs of the Chilean fjords are anticlimactic. A big 'meh'.

Coming the other way, the Chilean fjords are much more impressive, but then the bergs leaving Antarctica didn't excite me; rather they made me sad to be leaving.

Direction matters less than to be going at all.

There are no vaccination requirements for the basic cruise itinerary.

There is nothing like the approach to Antarctica when you first see a small piece of floating ice, then another, then more, and they grow larger. It is a spectacular introduction to the main event. The excitement just builds!

However, in that direction the glaciers and bergs of the Chilean fjords are anticlimactic. A big 'meh'.

Coming the other way, the Chilean fjords are much more impressive, but then the bergs leaving Antarctica didn't excite me; rather they made me sad to be leaving.

Thanks for your thoughts on both directions. To me, I will want to get to Antarctica as early in the cruise as I can. Since we have previously done a SA cruise that went to most of the SA ports, Antarctica and the Falklands are our main reason for going.

We agree VP to BA would be our first choice.

Thank you all so much for your insights!

I find the BA to VP one fits our schedule slightly better.

And Wow 3 times RuthC! It must have been wonderful! Are you planning to go again?

Another question I hope it's not rude since this is the HAL board but I also see a Celebrity Infinity Antarctica sailing for only 14 days and the biggest difference is Celebrity sails by Elephant Island but doesn't go to Chilean fjords or glaciers.

Since we are still working and vacation time is the biggest constraint we are also considering that cruise.

Do you all think the Chilean fjords are a must do?

Thank you all so much for your insights!

I find the BA to VP one fits our schedule slightly better.

And Wow 3 times RuthC! It must have been wonderful! Are you planning to go again?

Another question I hope it's not rude since this is the HAL board but I also see a Celebrity Infinity Antarctica sailing for only 14 days and the biggest difference is Celebrity sails by Elephant Island but doesn't go to Chilean fjords or glaciers.

Since we are still working and vacation time is the biggest constraint we are also considering that cruise.

Do you all think the Chilean fjords are a must do?

The Celebrity cruise only spends 2 days in Antarctica rather than 4 on HAL. Also, the price for our 22 day HAL cruise was about the same price as the Celebrity one. The HAL itinerary is significantly better. Chile is a beautiful country too. If you are going all the way to SA, you might as well see it too.