Flight Arriving After Suggested Transfer Time

My cruise departure time is at 4:30, but the earliest flight I could get arrives at 2:10 p.m. The Ft Lauderdale airport is only 10 minutes from the cruise port, but when I tried to book a transfer through the cruiseline, it said that my flight was arriving too late. But if it's only 10 minutes away, I could still take a taxi and be ok, right? I was planning on not checking a bag to save even more time. I'd literally get off the plane and walk to the nearest taxi.

Feasible? Yes

Reasonable? No

So many things can go wrong and you need to be checked in 90 minutes before the cruise (3PM for a 4:30 departure) or be denied boarding. A 45 minute delay on the flight and you won't make it.

Way too close for comfort and not worth the risk unless there is no other flight option (night before?)

-jani

RCCL requires you to be checked in and on board the ship 90 minutes prior to the departure time which means no later than 3:00 PM. Yes the airport is 10 minutes away but you are not allowing for flight delay, long taxi lines as well as the fact the Fort Lauderdale Airport is literally jammed packed on cruise days from multiple ships/cruiselines. Personally I would not chance it. .

If you can not arrive the day before, is there a flight getting you in around 7/8 AM I see Non stop flights one around 6 AM getting you in at 9:43 AM, another leaving DFW at 7 arriving at 10:55

I booked Southwest, only non-stop flight leaves at 10:30 a.m. and arrives in FLL at 2:10. The flights the night before are $100 more. And then I'd also have to book a hotel. I always arrive the day my cruise ship leaves and never had a problem, but this is the first time it will be cutting it close. I would like to arrive earlier, but only earlier arriving are flights that I have to change plans and I always feel more can go wrong with delays and such when you have to catch a 2nd plane, rather than going non-stop.

Personally would not risk it. As others have pointed out, you have to be on board; any problems you are stuck. Even if you arrive 5 minutes late at the port you will not be allowed board.

There are delays at Florida airports for weather - thunderstorms - that many people overlook. Often people think of weather delays being snow related, not thunderstorms.

Way too close for comfort! Even if it is a 10 minute taxi away, you will likely spend 15 minutes getting from the plane to the curb, if not longer. Heaven forbid you have checked luggage that you have to collect!

I would spend the $100 plus hotel to come in the night before.

Way too close for comfort! Even if it is a 10 minute taxi away, you will likely spend 15 minutes getting from the plane to the curb, if not longer. Heaven forbid you have checked luggage that you have to collect!

I would spend the $100 plus hotel to come in the night before.

Ok, wow, I just looked again and found a night before flight that's actually $20 cheaper! Sweet! Does anyone know what hotels are good in the area?

My cruise departure time is at 4:30, but the earliest flight I could get arrives at 2:10 p.m. The Ft Lauderdale airport is only 10 minutes from the cruise port, but when I tried to book a transfer through the cruiseline, it said that my flight was arriving too late. But if it's only 10 minutes away, I could still take a taxi and be ok, right? I was planning on not checking a bag to save even more time. I'd literally get off the plane and walk to the nearest taxi.

I booked Southwest, only non-stop flight leaves at 10:30 a.m. and arrives in FLL at 2:10. The flights the night before are $100 more. And then I'd also have to book a hotel. I always arrive the day my cruise ship leaves and never had a problem, but this is the first time it will be cutting it close. I would like to arrive earlier, but only earlier arriving are flights that I have to change plans and I always feel more can go wrong with delays and such when you have to catch a 2nd plane, rather than going non-stop.

NO! NO! NO!

Either go the day before or leave earlier with the connection.

Why would you book a transfer through the cruiseline?

If changing planes means you could arrive, say, 2 hours earlier, I'd definitely be doing that instead of arriving as late as you are considering. It's true that 2 flights add some risk, but I'd think that that risk is lower than the risk of arriving as late as you are wanting to. Keep in mind that the earlier flights are in the day, the less likely they are to have been delayed. No way would I be on a flight arriving only 50 minutes before the boarding cutoff!

Why would you book a transfer through the cruiseline?

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing... I mean the transportation from the airport to the cruise pier. Don't most people do that? Or do most people do taxis or ubers?

Ok, wow, I just looked again and found a night before flight that's actually $20 cheaper! Sweet! Does anyone know what hotels are good in the area?

Lots of different price ranges for hotels so really depends on what you want to spend. We stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th St last month. Hotel has had a lot of updates though our room wasn't one of them. Last year we stayed at Marriott Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach which was right across from the beach. I would check out the Florida Departures forum for other suggestions.

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing... I mean the transportation from the airport to the cruise pier. Don't most people do that? Or do most people do taxis or ubers?

Taxi is only $15 total from FLL to pier. Cruise line transfers are way more expensive!

Depends on the airport & port. For FLL airport to Port Everglades, taxi/uber is the easiest, fastest, and least expensive.

Ok, you guys convinced me... arriving at 2 is too close for comfort, but I just checked again and somehow I missed that there was a night before flight that was $20 even cheaper!

So round 2... new questions... 1) good (cheap) hotels in the area? and 2) what's there to do in the area since I'm arriving the night before or what's the earliest I could get on the ship if I just want to go straight there in the morning?

Ok, you guys convinced me... arriving at 2 is too close for comfort, but I just checked again and somehow I missed that there was a night before flight that was $20 even cheaper!

So round 2... new questions... 1) good (cheap) hotels in the area? and 2) what's there to do in the area since I'm arriving the night before or what's the earliest I could get on the ship if I just want to go straight there in the morning?

Cheap is not always possible in Ft. Lauderdale. We've stayed at the Springhill Suites in Dania Beach several times. Free airport shuttle, free shuttle to the cruise port. I'd get to the cruise terminal around 10:30am.

Try Hyatt Place, we always book it thru Valutrips.com- they have a free airport shuttle and transfer to the port in the am for $7pp. Several restaurants and a Publix within a short walk.

Glad you made the decision to arrive night before. Husband was in aviation management so we know how unwise it is to take flights the day of. Have read horror stories on here of people loosing thousands of dollars because they arrived to late to the ship.

As Bob suggested check out the Florida boards. I have been checking Trivago recently for a different FL city and they seem to have options. Check it out.

Enjoy your cruise.

Glad you made the decision to arrive night before. Husband was in aviation management so we know how unwise it is to take flights the day of. Have read horror stories on here of people loosing thousands of dollars because they arrived to late to the ship.

I guess I've just been lucky then. I'm still a "newbie" I think, but this will technically be my 5th cruise and the only one where I am not arriving on the same day. I always book same day and have never had a problem. This trip is for my birthday though so it would be heartbreaking to miss it... even though I have to book a hotel now, I guess getting there the night before allows me to get on the ship as soon as possible and start enjoying it for longer.

We stayed Post cruise and were at the Hyatt Place, took a cab, I think there were around 12 of us. Living in So Calif we fly through DFW a lot heading east with 1 connection and can't get in before 4 PM. Glad you made the decision to come in the day before, now you can relax and get to the cruise terminal early.:) During our Post cruise stay, the morning we got off the ship and after checking in at our Hotel we took the Canal ride around the gorgeous homes and had lunch at one of the stops. It was fun seeing all the yachts tied up in front of the homes. .