Cancellation question: 1 person from a 2 person room.

What is the best strategy for cancelling one person from a 2 person room?

I searched the forums and have read conflicting information. Some said to have them as a no show at port, some said you will actually pay more if you cancel them and some said it will be no big deal. We do have insurance so whatever we do we will turn it in but i'm not sure how they will handle it either? Before I contact RCCL I wanted to get you input.

Here are the specifics:

• Cruising Anthem on July 6, 2017 for 9 nights
  • 1 person in a 2 person inside room cannot go.
  • We have cancel for any reason through Nationwide.

Thanks

:confused:

If the fare isn't refunded, then nothing happens to the remaining passenger...the cruise line still has the 2-person fare, and they don't really care if EITHER of you show up..they've got the $$!

When you are past any refund date, it's best to just have a "no show". If the no show has insurance, they can take the cancellation up with their insurance company.

I searched the forums and have read conflicting information. Some said to have them as a no show at port, some said you will actually pay more if you cancel them and some said it will be no big deal. We do have insurance so whatever we do we will turn it in but i'm not sure how they will handle it either? Before I contact RCCL I wanted to get you input.

Here are the specifics:

Thanks

There should be no difference if you cancel the person ahead of time, or they are a no-show. So, if it was me, I'd have them be a no-show, just to ensure RC does not change anything.

If the fare isn't refunded, then nothing happens to the remaining passenger...the cruise line still has the 2-person fare, and they don't really care if EITHER of you show up..they've got the $$!

When you are past any refund date, it's best to just have a "no show". If the no show has insurance, they can take the cancellation up with their insurance company.

I think the OP should run that by the ins company before they go doing that.

Many insurances require you to cancel. Not showing up is not cancelling

It won't cost more. Unless a studio, pricing is set to 2 people. There's financially no value to cancelling the 2nd person except re-couping taxes/port fees.

I'd cancel upon arrival at the port and submit claim to the insurance upon return (assuming the reason is one that's covered). The other person can call to start the claim with insurances the day of sailing.

Here are the specifics:

Thanks

Check with Nationwide!

1. The cancel for any reason will have a time limitation for notifying of the cancellation (ex: 2 days - but in your case July 4th is a holiday, do you need to notify them sooner?). With proper notification, the person that cannot go will be entitled to a portion of their nonrefundable fare, per the policy,

2. Ask specifically if the coverage on the other person still going on the cruise covers any fare increase (repricing for single supplement) IF the companion cancels with Cancel for Any Reason clause. This is important - it may differ by company, as I observed when pricing policies recently.

these are 2 different coverage questions here - 1 for each person - and it is important for you both to know the details so you can make the right decision.

Good info from other posters here - but you may be getting advise that applies more for people without cancel for any reason insurance,

Good luck! Let us know how Nationwide responds.

Edited by peach section
clarifying

If you cancel, I would think you get the port charges and taxes refunded (I believe someone probably mentioned that already), so unless it does get repriced you should be fine with that.

If you cancel one person, does the remaining person than get the double points for sailing solo?

If you cancel, I would think you get the port charges and taxes refunded (I believe someone probably mentioned that already), so unless it does get repriced you should be fine with that.

If you cancel one person, does the remaining person than get the double points for sailing solo?

If you cancel then yes...if there's just a no show then no.

Very unlikely you would lose your cabin of choice either...this only happens when you are booked into a cabin that will hold more than two people.

A big reason and only a few $$'s was the reason we opted to have a no show onboard Harmony....We had four aft cabins booked all right next to each other with one of them connecting (which we wanted) and didn't want to take the chance of being forced to move by RCI.

I had booked all of us when those sailings opened in June of 2015 for a cruise in March 2017...amazing pricing and I didn't want to take a chance at any possible repricing...with RCI you never know.

Do not no show the reservation if you are going to use your insurance, contact Nationwide and find out what you need to do so you do not forfeit the cruise fare. Even if you had the cruise lines insurance, you need to notify them prior to the ship sailing or you are not covered.

Read the documentation you have for your insurance and then call to verify you understand the rules.

I think the OP should run that by the ins company before they go doing that.

Many insurances require you to cancel. Not showing up is not cancelling

^ THIS^

In most cases, Cancel For Any Reason trip insurance, like what the OP has from Nationwide, is for a future cruise credit.

I had a similar situation where the other passenger booked in my room could not come and I did not cancel so he was a 'no show' at port. When I asked for the double points Crown and Anchor told me that I could not have the points because he was a 'no show' and not a 'cancel in advance'. I didn't try to fight it further so I am not sure if all agents would give the same answer, but that is what happened in my case.

You guys are awesome. Thank you all so much for the great advice!

I am going to call nationwide again to see about the no show policy and then RCCL to ask them what will happen (although I realize the online phone folks don't always have the right answer).

This will inform the rest of my decision. :)

:)

Nationwide Choice Cruise policy requires notice at least 2 days before sailing for CFAR to be paid. (not saying that is OP's policy, but is an example)

btw anyone can go on the insuremytrip website and view the details of any policy. Get your quotes, click on 'plan info' and then click on 'view certificate'. Now you can read all the details of each policy such as covered events/reasons, dollar limits, delay times, time frames, what electronics are covered, deductibles, etc. All plans are different! Do not assume anything.