Cuba Cruise - What happens?

tx121

I went to Cuba for NYE and had a ball. I cruised from Havana with MSC, it was great. I would not rush back to Cuba though, the locals we met were great and the experience was amazing, but it is just another Caribbean island but without a good infrastructure, no reggae or great food. We have neighbours who have visited Cuba every year for 20 years plus, WHY ?. As I said, glad I went, I enjoyed the whole experience, but will not rush back.

The locals were really excited waiting for you US people to visit and hoping that the tips recieved would feed their families a little better.

I w

I welcome the new travel restriction policy on Cuba. It is a good one and the right thing to do.

I second that emotion.

Cuba is unique in that the ruling military owns the tour and travel industry, so visitors to Cuba directly finance the oppression and imprisonment of the Cuban People.

I second that emotion.

Cuba is unique in that the ruling military owns the tour and travel industry, so visitors to Cuba directly finance the oppression and imprisonment of the Cuban People.

When you book directly with a local resident as your guide, that simply isn't true. Port fees, yes -- but it stops there.

Also, its interesting to me how so many on CruiseCritic are quick to throw around opinions in every Cuba thread that pops up, yet I'm sure many have cruised to places like Jamaica, Belize, etc., where LGBT people are imprisoned and harshly repressed.

If you don't want to cruise to Cuba, just don't go.

If we knew the exact inmpact/rules - then we would not have to wait for the announcement.

Bottom line... still up in the air. I did notice this at the end of the news article above:

Federal agencies will have 90 days to write rules to implement Trump’s policy once he signs it Friday.

I completely agree. Giving communist governments our money never felt right to me.

Well, China is textbook communist. According to a Google search, 2 million plus Americans visited China last year spending gobbles of $$$. Why pick on little old Cuba? Twenty-First century perspective is needed. I am glad that Americans who still want to cruise to Cuba will be able to do so.

Guess there won't be any fire sales of empty cabins for naysayers in Miami-Dade County.

Edited by IrieBajan54
word missing

Well, China is textbook communist. According to a Google search, 2 million plus Americans visited China last year spending gobbles of $$$. Why pick on little old Cuba? Twenty-First century perspective is needed. I am glad that Americans who still want to cruise to Cuba will be able to do so.

Guess there won't be any fire sales of empty cabins for naysayers in Miami-Dade County.

Not to mention all the "made in China" products purchased in the US (and other countries) every day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. Ships travel to Russia- St. Petersburg and the Olympics were in Russia few years ago. Wonder how much Putin made off of that. Did you boycott the Olympics?

I'm a little worried about my upcoming cruise on the Sky to Cuba leaving on June 26th. Tomorrow, Trump is expected to make a speech about rolling back the policy for travel to Cuba. If he does choose to reverse the policy, how long will it take into effect? Is there a grace period before action is taken and cruise ships can no longer visit there?

If so, this will be one expensive trip to NCL's private island. I know NCL says all itineraries are subject to change, but I'm hoping they would include another stop in replacing the Cuba overnight?

Here is what I think will happen based on this article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cuba-idUSKBN1962Q3

I believe that it will be just like in Russia, you will have to take organized tours when you leave the ship. You will not be able to go off on your own, unless you meet one of the specified categories that allow travel by US citizens to Cuba.

Ditto

How would anyone know the answer to your questions? This is a unique situation which no one has experienced.

It seems logical to wait to see what Trump does. If it affects cruises, wait to see what NCL does.

I'm a little worried about my upcoming cruise on the Sky to Cuba leaving on June 26th. Tomorrow, Trump is expected to make a speech about rolling back the policy for travel to Cuba. If he does choose to reverse the policy, how long will it take into effect? Is there a grace period before action is taken and cruise ships can no longer visit there?

If so, this will be one expensive trip to NCL's private island. I know NCL says all itineraries are subject to change, but I'm hoping they would include another stop in replacing the Cuba overnight?

Come on folks.

This is a cruise forum.

It is not a political/activist/human rights/moral/religious forum. There are plenty of those out there.

Very well said. The two previous threads on the subject of Cuba cruises disappeared and it is probably because they turned into political etc argument instead of actual cruise discussion.

I read in a USA Today article that said that flights and cruise ships would not be restricted. We are planning an April 2018 cruise to Cuba so I am hoping this is true! I am paying close attention to this most recent change in policy.. really want to see Havana!

I read in a USA Today article that said that flights and cruise ships would not be restricted. We are planning an April 2018 cruise to Cuba so I am hoping this is true! I am paying close attention to this most recent change in policy.. really want to see Havana!

I don't read that article at all like that. Here is a link to it:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/15/donald-trump-cuba-miami-barack-obama/102890876/

I suggest that any US citizen planning trips to Cuba be prepared to document that you meet one of the specified reasons for visiting, or else be prepared to face a fine when you return. You can rest assured that CBP will question everyone about what they did in Cuba upon debarkation.

Trump just said that the USA tourist ban to Cuba will be enforced. Travel bans are his area of expertise, but no details yet released.

If you're on NCL, you already have to follow the existing law to go (you're already not a "tourist"). So him saying that really doesn't mean anything.

Details have been released, and cruise lines are exempt from the miliarty requirement (aka, can still dock at the port). Nothing will start to change for a minimum of 30 days, since the Treasury policy still needs to be written.

President Trump just said on the news that they will be allowing group Travel to Cuba but will be limiting individuals visits due to human rights violations of Cuba. Mr. Trump also wants Assurance from the Cuba regime that money received from tourists will not be funneled to their military and oppression of their citizens. He's trying to be moderate because there are some businesses that have already invested in the Cuba tourism Market and he's not trying to harm American businesses but he also feels compelled to do something to respond to the severe human rights violations that take place daily under the Cuba regime. It's a difficult balance since President Obama complicated the issue with his one-sided gifts to the Cuban regime.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

Oh sfaaa, get a life. The people of Cuba do not feel oppressed, lol its quite the opposite. I think you aught to visit other countries a little more x

Huh? :confused: So people get on an inner tube and attempt to paddle 90 miles to freedom just for fun? Over 10,000 migrants were interdicted in 2016 by the USCG, some of who even stabbed or shot themselves, drank gasoline or bleach, etc, to force US landfall. Somehow, I think their lives were not "quite the opposite" from oppressed.

Oh sfaaa, get a life. The people of Cuba do not feel oppressed, lol its quite the opposite. I think you aught to visit other countries a little more x

Now thats funny!:'):rolleyes: