I have been thinking....

A&Jfamily

Thank you! I'm a first time cruiser. The analogy to Las Vegas is greatly appreciated. In Vegas, I was in my room by 7pm. Not my cup of tea.

We liked views, but crowds... We stayed in Venetian and enjoyed Piazza at 1-2 pm when crowds were gone... and all canyons after LV even more. :)

When I am asked which cruise line I like best I explain that to me each cruise line has a personality. Just as we have friends that have varying taste in dress and activities, the same holds for cruise lines. Sometimes I want to hang out with my friends who wear sweats, drink beer, and rent movies. Sometimes I want to spend time with those that always dress like they are going to work , drink champagne, and go to plays and operas.

So, when I am asked to recommend a cruise line I try to fit their personality to the line I am suggesting. Many of my friends, as well as myself would be happy on any line. Even the one line I was not happy with I would suggest to a very specific type of person.

We are pretty easygoing as my cruising history says... and even worse we are mostly inside cabin "crowd", but ... in some reason we couldn't adjust to Carnival. Honestly tried 3 times.

Going on a Princess cruise is like attending your 50th year high school class reunion.

Going on a Carnival cruise is like attending your grandson's first fraternity toga party.

I'm hitting the like button on this answer :D :D

Tony

I've been on over 100 Princess cruises and have loved almost every one. However, I have found the people on Carnival to be so much more friendly.

I have dealt with more rude people on Princess than I ever have on Carnival.

I've been on over 100 Princess cruises and have loved almost every one. However, I have found the people on Carnival to be so much more friendly.

I have dealt with more rude people on Princess than I ever have on Carnival.

How many Carnival cruises have you been on?? I have been on 30 cruises with Princess. I have met some of the nicest and friendly people from all over the world on Princess!!! If the people were not that friendly why did you keep going back? It took you over 100 cruises to make that decision. I'm sorry I just don't believe you!! That's just my opinion.

Tony

How many Carnival cruises have you been on?? I have been on 30 cruises with Princess. I have met some of the nicest and friendly people from all over the world on Princess!!! If the people were not that friendly why did you keep going back? It took you over 100 cruises to make that decision. I'm sorry I just don't believe you!! That's just my opinion.

Tony

The service and food. However, that has gone down hill. Why would I lie? GFG?

35 on Carnival and growing. BTW

Carnival for me is like the Las Vegas of cruising. I like that sometimes lol!

pretty much.

There is no question that the vibe of princess is quite different from carnival. in talking about both (we've done cruises on many different lines) we've used the terms class, elegance, upscale, professional socioeconomic group, more sedate, older, mature, as more applicable to Princess; rowdy, younger, louder, working class, more tattoos, aggressive partying, tackier to carnival. Having said that we've never had a cruise we didn't enjoy and there are elements to both that are strengths, there are things carnival does better, things princess does better. Its about knowing what you want on the whole, what vibe fits you. I enjoy parties, and i know what kind of parties I will have fun at, what i find boring. You know what you like. Something for everyone basically.

pretty much.

There is no question that the vibe of princess is quite different from carnival. in talking about both (we've done cruises on many different lines) we've used the terms class, elegance, upscale, professional socioeconomic group, more sedate, older, mature, as more applicable to Princess; rowdy, younger, louder, working class, more tattoos, aggressive partying, tackier to carnival. Having said that we've never had a cruise we didn't enjoy and there are elements to both that are strengths, there are things carnival does better, things princess does better. Its about knowing what you want on the whole, what vibe fits you. I enjoy parties, and i know what kind of parties I will have fun at, what i find boring. You know what you like. Something for everyone basically.

I agree your terms are accurate but many take offense as such descriptions...particularly on the Carnival board. I like Carnival. And I really like Princess. We have fun on every cruise. But it's nice to know I am not the only one who senses the different vibe. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The service and food. However, that has gone down hill. Why would I lie? GFG?

35 on Carnival and growing. BTW

You did not say anything about the Service or Food in your first post. You were complaining about the people not being Friendly!! On your 100 cruise with Princess. Witch I did not believe. The food & service has always been Excellent on Princess for me.

Tony

You did not say anything about the Service or Food in your first post. You were complaining about the people not being Friendly!! On your 100 cruise with Princess. Witch I did not believe. The food & service has always been Excellent on Princess for me.

Tony

The people on Carnival are much more friendly. Believe what you want.

While we much prefer Princess, we do take an occasional cruise on Carnival because of the convenience on Charleston.

We never make lasting friends on Carnival like we do on Princess (exchanging emails and such). Always make many friends on Princess.

One thing we've noticed about passengers on the Carnival cruises we've taken: Everyone seems happy just to be on the ship and don't have big expectations.

Always nice to be around happy people. :)

Lastly, what I don't like about some Princess cruises is the complaining. I am going out on a limb here. Older passengers who feel the world revolves around them. They don't think they should wait. They don't like the food. They just plain take for granted the fact that they are amazingly lucky to be able to travel and even be able to afford a cruise. They have spent $50K-$100K in their lifetime on cruises. They seem negative. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, PLEASE. Not everyone, but I see this on some of the 10+ day cruises.

Carnival vs Princess...... two great lines for different sets of people. Apples and Oranges...all fruit! ;)

Janet

I agree.....Princess cruisers are zen masters at complaining about everything and it gets old and this has happened on pretty much all of the cruises we have been on constantly....The Princess crowd is definitely OLD and I include myself in that. I laugh when people compare it to some sophisticated societal level......it is more like comparing Applebees to Wendy's....each line has it's pluses and minuses and we like Princess' OBC program and international itineraries.....:)

I wouldn't call Princess cruisers old. We cruised since our 30, and it is all based on itin and time of the year. None of our Princess cruises consisted of mostly old pax. In fact our "oldest" cruise was on RCCL Brilliance to Canada. We were grand kids at our 40.

I wouldn't call Princess cruisers old. We cruised since our 30, and it is all based on itin and time of the year. None of our Princess cruises consisted of mostly old pax. In fact our "oldest" cruise was on RCCL Brilliance to Canada. We were grand kids at our 40.

Hilarious.....we have been on 30 plus Princess cruises and our experience is that the guests are mostly in their 60's, 70's and 80's.....with more international itineraries and longer cruises Princess attracts a certain demographic....which may not act old but we are...:):D:p:cool:

Hilarious.....we have been on 30 plus Princess cruises and our experience is that the guests are mostly in their 60's, 70's and 80's.....with more international itineraries and longer cruises Princess attracts a certain demographic....which may not act old but we are...:):D:p:cool:

What is so rediculous?

We've been on six. Five out of US and one out of UK, and pax was all ages from toddlers to seniours. It all depends on itinerary and lengs.

When we cruised on MSC Poesia in 2013, Caribbean Princess docked next to us had 700 children.

Long or exotic cruises will have mostly older pax. Short will have younger. HALs smaller ships usually have older crowd, but even Maasdam to Bermuda during summers is full of families with kids.

Princess is no different. Especially large ships. They not only have families with kids, but young couples. We saw at least 5 weddings while cruising on Princess with 20-30 getting married.

pretty much.

Totally!! 7 times out of 10 I will choose Princess but sometimes you like something different, not even cruising by taking a land based vacation instead. I'm an easy traveler and haven't been on a trip I didn't like. But also don't have expectations that are unrealistic lol! I have seen a lot of posts on here (like a pizza quality debate) and I'm totally like First World Problems!! I feel just lucky to work hard and be able to afford to take vacations lol!

I am a seasoned cruiser on both Carnival and Princess. (18 Carnival, 25 Princess) Carnival seemed a good fit when I was in my 30's. Party until late, lot's of pool activities, good food, and fun in the dining room! What's not to like?

We are now in our 60's and 70's. Princess is our cruiseline of choice. We are now in a season of life where we like to spend more time in our cabin. (therefore a nice cabin is a must) We love to rise early, have a variety of activities, have quiet time in our cabin, as well as quiet time in a chair catching a few rays. We catch many indoor activities during the day. We do not need to be on the go every minute, and we do not care where the late night party is held.

That being said, we have grandkids that we take from time to time. Carnival is a great fit, as those cruises are about THEM. Loud, busy, towel animals, kids, kids, kids! Can't beat it for them.

Lastly, what I don't like about some Princess cruises is the complaining. I am going out on a limb here. Older passengers who feel the world revolves around them. They don't think they should wait. They don't like the food. They just plain take for granted the fact that they are amazingly lucky to be able to travel and even be able to afford a cruise. They have spent $50K-$100K in their lifetime on cruises. They seem negative. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, PLEASE. Not everyone, but I see this on some of the 10+ day cruises.

Carnival vs Princess...... two great lines for different sets of people. Apples and Oranges...all fruit! ;)

Janet

I couldn't agree more!

I have been on both Princess and Carnival and have enjoyed them both. Carnival was many years ago when I was in my 20's. Even then I thought it was a bit too rowdy, but I still had a pretty good time. Nowadays, I spend my cruising between NCL and Princess and enjoy them both.

I agree with earlier comments about Carnival skewing younger and a bit rowdier and Princess skewing older and a bit more subdued. Other factors to consider are time of year and itinerary; as they can have a significant impact on passenger demographics.

It has been my experience that there are some passengers (on all lines) who live up to the stereotype; younger passengers who drink heavily, get loud, don't know when to stop, and think the world revolves around them; and older passengers who are cranky and complaining know-it-alls who think the world revolves around them. Thankfully, these folks are in a district minority. I enjoy sailing with both younger and older passengers. From the young, I can appreciate their energy and enthusiasm which keeps me from being a stick-in-the mud. And from the older folks, I can learn from their experience and wisdom. In each case, I have a better time on my cruise.

So just pick the line you think works best for you, resolve yourself to have a great time and I'm sure you will!

I tend to say that Princess is for everyone with loads of different things to do from the Movies under the Stars through to the Princess Theatre, the karaoke, the gym, the sports stuff, the pools and the sun deck, plus drinking if you want.

I pitch it as being mid range, not bogan like P&O, and not OTT like RCCL. I say the ships are well maintained and it's a great cruise line, that there's something for everyone.

I'm 31 and I've only cruised Princess and only would. I've looked at other cruise lines but they just don't have the destinations or amenities that I want.

you lost me at olive garden and maggianos. but point taken

I got the olive garden connection. Why on earth if you want good Italian food would you go to an Olive Garden?

I suppose it you want stuff soaking in heavy cream sauces, soggy pasta, chicken that is reconstituted from something, then fine.

Now if you like that kind of stuff, that's OK. People have all kinds of preferences.

Personally, I have been on only 1 Carnival cruise many, many years ago when that was all I could afford. Never again. Don't know what they are like now but frankly, I'll stick with Princess, HAL, and Celebrity.

Princess = Park Avenue

Carnival = Times Square

P.S. I cringe when I read the word "Classy" in a description. I immediately think of a bleached blond from a 1930's gagster movie cracking her gum and saying, "This is a real classy joint".