Extra Global Entry Benefits

cruisequeen4ever

GE is automatically put on your passport and is part of USA customs/immigration only

Just to clarify for some....this does NOT mean that there is any identifying mark on the physical passport book. It's merely a notation in your electronic passport record.

Just to clarify for some....this does NOT mean that there is any identifying mark on the physical passport book. It's merely a notation in your electronic passport record.

Semantics really but thanks for your input. :)

A physical mark was never brought up during the GE process so ........not sure why someone would look for it. But OK.

There is no such documentation because it is not reciprocal - only NEXUS offers the entire package of benefits and that's exactly what all the info on CBP/CBSA sites confirm. Keith and others who use GE in Vancouver are using it only one-way - to get into the USA, whether at pier or airport. It gives zero benefit when entering Canada, only NEXUS offers that advantage.

Re: using in foreign airports etc. I've also been allowed into short security queues - at Heathrow in my case. Showed card to minion guarding the queue, asked if it let me in, was waved through. Not officially a benefit of any of the TT cards but seems to be either an unofficial policy (i.e. that anyone who has passed criminal record checks required by USA is deemed a lower risk by other jurisdictions) or simply down to poorly trained minions!

I have been told that at Canadian airports the CASTA person who scans the boarding pass and sends people into the short line or the long line is frequently the most junior employee on the shift.

There could be some rational reason why you end up in the priority lane or not. However even more likely, the person doing does not know and it is easier to let you in than make a fuss.

In Toronto having an AMEX Platinum gets you into to the express lane. In Vancouver it is the Visa Infinite Privilege.

The rules are to complex and have to many twists and turns.

There is no such documentation because it is not reciprocal - only NEXUS offers the entire package of benefits and that's exactly what all the info on CBP/CBSA sites confirm. Keith and others who use GE in Vancouver are using it only one-way - to get into the USA, whether at pier or airport. It gives zero benefit when entering Canada, only NEXUS offers that advantage.

Re: using in foreign airports etc. I've also been allowed into short security queues - at Heathrow in my case. Showed card to minion guarding the queue, asked if it let me in, was waved through. Not officially a benefit of any of the TT cards but seems to be either an unofficial policy (i.e. that anyone who has passed criminal record checks required by USA is deemed a lower risk by other jurisdictions) or simply down to poorly trained minions!

Thank you.

It just bothers me when people spout off mis-information about GE, Pre-Check, NEXUS, SENTRI, etc. You'll get some naive CC who gets in trouble with Customs or Immigration or another country's version of "PreCheck" and their only "defense" is "I heard this is OK on Cruise Critic."

To add to the convo about Nexus...I tried going to the Passport Control line for Nexus holders when we entered Canada in Vancouver, thinking GE gives that benefit, but the machine did not accept my card. I asked an agent, and she said GE does not work for Nexus in the Passport Control line for entering Canada. When it benefits you is when you're leaving Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been told that at Canadian airports the CASTA person who scans the boarding pass and sends people into the short line or the long line is frequently the most junior employee on the shift.

There could be some rational reason why you end up in the priority lane or not. However even more likely, the person doing does not know and it is easier to let you in than make a fuss.

In Toronto having an AMEX Platinum gets you into to the express lane. In Vancouver it is the Visa Infinite Privilege.

The rules are to complex and have to many twists and turns.

Tell us more about "Toronto and the Amex Platinum card"...

(Last time we entered Canada from USA to change planes at Toronto, there was some sort of *wonderful* [trial?] policy such that we stayed airside, and not only skipped Security again, but... we cannot remember where in the world we would have even gone through Immigrations/Customs/etc. We were whisked down an elevator and onto a very empty bus, airside. Fascinating riding under the gateways to the planes, right up next to the terminal. Then we were left to enter the terminal again from the airside. When we went back up a different elevator, a very short walk, and there was the "other side" [Canadian] of the security area, which we know well from several previous visits. SO simple, but we are still shaking our heads about it.)

But assuming we don't have that fortunate experience again, where do we "show" the Amex Plat card, and what does it "get us" at this point?

Thanks!

Thank you.

It just bothers me when people spout off mis-information about GE, Pre-Check, NEXUS, SENTRI, etc. You'll get some naive CC who gets in trouble with Customs or Immigration or another country's version of "PreCheck" and their only "defense" is "I heard this is OK on Cruise Critic."

Which re-enforces for me, that I need to do some degree of due diligence about everything read on CC or any other internet site, to be sure.

The OP did make a disclaimer, and I appreciate that. I will be in YVR in three (3) weeks and try to use their similar service for TSA precheck..

bon voyage

My mistake saying that Global Entry provided Nexus benefits.

I should have said that we enjoyed a benefit of Global Entry when departing Vancouver airport that is similar to Nexus.

Keith

That is because you cleared US Immigration & Customs at YVR. GE gets you expedited entry into the US, even if you clear US I&C in Canada, Ireland, or any other airport in a country where the US has pre-clearance facilities. It's not a benefit, it is the reason you get GE. NEXUS gets you into the US and into Canada via land and air (don't have NEXUS, so I won't comment on via sea)

That is because you cleared US Immigration & Customs at YVR. GE gets you expedited entry into the US, even if you clear US I&C in Canada, Ireland, or any other airport in a country where the US has pre-clearance facilities. It's not a benefit, it is the reason you get GE. NEXUS gets you into the US and into Canada via land and air (don't have NEXUS, so I won't comment on via sea)

The benefit I was talking about was getting on the Nexus security line. That was unexpected.

Keith

Tell us more about "Toronto and the Amex Platinum card"...

(Last time we entered Canada from USA to change planes at Toronto, there was some sort of *wonderful* [trial?] policy such that we stayed airside, and not only skipped Security again, but... we cannot remember where in the world we would have even gone through Immigrations/Customs/etc. We were whisked down an elevator and onto a very empty bus, airside. Fascinating riding under the gateways to the planes, right up next to the terminal. Then we were left to enter the terminal again from the airside. When we went back up a different elevator, a very short walk, and there was the "other side" [Canadian] of the security area, which we know well from several previous visits. SO simple, but we are still shaking our heads about it.)

But assuming we don't have that fortunate experience again, where do we "show" the Amex Plat card, and what does it "get us" at this point?

Thanks!

The trial you described is permanent. So basically connection are easy and there is no extra security coming from the US and bags get automatically transferred. The reason for the short bus ride is the airport was not originally designed for that transfer, still better than the lines. The same process also applies to arriving passenger from some of the European countries that that Canadian authorities trust.

If you start your trip in Toronto. The security lines have a regular line and a second line for business class customers or those with top tier status with their airline. That same express line can be access if you have an AMEX Platinum card.

The Plaza Platinum lounges in Toronto and Vancouver (as well as several other Canadian airport) also double as AMEX lounges. They are quite nice, and I think better than the Air Canada lounges.

The trial you described is permanent. So basically connection are easy and there is no extra security coming from the US and bags get automatically transferred. The reason for the short bus ride is the airport was not originally designed for that transfer, still better than the lines. The same process also applies to arriving passenger from some of the European countries that that Canadian authorities trust.

If you start your trip in Toronto. The security lines have a regular line and a second line for business class customers or those with top tier status with their airline. That same express line can be access if you have an AMEX Platinum card.

The Plaza Platinum lounges in Toronto and Vancouver (as well as several other Canadian airport) also double as AMEX lounges. They are quite nice, and I think better than the Air Canada lounges.

Thanks! That is good news. The arrival/transfer process was SO much easier.

(It was wonderful to come back up inside the terminal again, and soon realize we were on the "Canada side" of things. We didn't understand quite what was happening during the new transfer process. Nice surprise!)

And we understand if there wasn't additional security needed.

However, we are still scratching our heads about the international border... when did Canadian officials "vet" us?

Did we blink going through Immigrations/Customs? Or was the then-temporary system so new/unusual that it somehow got overlooked initially?

This was not a route where there was some sort of "pre-clearance" at the USA airport prior to departure for Canada (if it ever occurs in that direction these days).

On our next trip transferring flight in Toronto, we'll pay closer attention to where we are going and what is happening.

We were totally caught off guard - pleasantly - last time, a few months ago.

Thanks! That is good news. The arrival/transfer process was SO much easier.

(It was wonderful to come back up inside the terminal again, and soon realize we were on the "Canada side" of things. We didn't understand quite what was happening during the new transfer process. Nice surprise!)

And we understand if there wasn't additional security needed.

However, we are still scratching our heads about the international border... when did Canadian officials "vet" us?

Did we blink going through Immigrations/Customs? Or was the then-temporary system so new/unusual that it somehow got overlooked initially?

This was not a route where there was some sort of "pre-clearance" at the USA airport prior to departure for Canada (if it ever occurs in that direction these days).

On our next trip transferring flight in Toronto, we'll pay closer attention to where we are going and what is happening.

We were totally caught off guard - pleasantly - last time, a few months ago.

What happens is there is a counter with Canadian Immigration just before you go down the escalator to the bus. When I have done it they take a quick look at your passport, scan it on the computer, if it looks good they just send you on your way.

I think the computer system is doing more of the vetting before you arrive. Most International to Domestic transfers in Canada have the bags automatically transferred, however the boarder control officer has a digital photo of your bags that pops up when you pass. Becoming more high tech.

They used to put a physical sticker on the passport --in fact my primary passport has a CBP sticker that was put on it when I first enrolled in 2008.

They used to put a physical sticker on the passport --in fact my primary passport has a CBP sticker that was put on it when I first enrolled in 2008.

Presumably then, you are using the same passport that you had in 2008, meaning the passport will expire next year. And when you renew it, your new one won't have a sticker.