Dumb Question, I know: First Timer

sugarbowl06

I just booked a cruise for our family of 5 yesterday and already I am wanting to cancel. I am looking at their web site, just getting a feel for the ship, and I look at the UBP (beverage, right?) - we are not buying that nor using it for our freebie but I see where you can buy a soda drink package and also buy a case of water. If you have to pay extra for a Pepsi, what do they give you to drink if you don't buy the soda package??? I have only been on one cruise 25 years ago (!!!) and you paid for the cruise and your food and beverage (not including alcohol) was included. What in the world?

Thank you in advance for explaining this to me.

I just booked a cruise for our family of 5 yesterday and already I am wanting to cancel. I am looking at their web site, just getting a feel for the ship, and I look at the UBP (beverage, right?) - we are not buying that nor using it for our freebie but I see where you can buy a soda drink package and also buy a case of water. If you have to pay extra for a Pepsi, what do they give you to drink if you don't buy the soda package??? I have only been on one cruise 25 years ago (!!!) and you paid for the cruise and your food and beverage (not including alcohol) was included. What in the world?

In the buffet you will find = Juice, flavored water's, ice tea , lemonade, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc.

What does my cruise fare include?

• Accommodations
  • Transportation to some of the most beautiful places on earth via cruise ship
  • Dedicated Kids & Teen (ages 3-17) programming & spaces during at sea days until 10:30 pm and from departure until 10:30 pm during port days
  • Meals in the complimentary dining venues, i.e.:
    • Two main dining rooms on every ship except Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway which have three
    • Buffet
    • 24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)
    • Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)
    • Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)
    • Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)
    • Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, specialty coffees at nominal extra charge)

[*]Iced Tea, some juices in the buffet (for breakfast), regular coffee, tea and ice water

[*]All entertainment onboard (with the exception of dinner and lunch theater entertainment)

[*]Art Auctions

[*]Poolside activities

[*]Access to fitness facilities

[*]Select onboard presentations

[*]Sports Court activities

[*]Use of outdoor pools and hot tubs

[*]In-stateroom TV programming (except for on-demand movies)

[*]Phone calls onboard the ship (stateroom to stateroom)

[*]Use of private Studio Lounge if staying in Studio accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Pride of America, Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Escape

[*]Suite Guests receive additional amenities, based on the category of accommodation.

I just booked a cruise for our family of 5 yesterday and already I am wanting to cancel. I am looking at their web site, just getting a feel for the ship, and I look at the UBP (beverage, right?) - we are not buying that nor using it for our freebie but I see where you can buy a soda drink package and also buy a case of water. If you have to pay extra for a Pepsi, what do they give you to drink if you don't buy the soda package??? ...

You do not have to buy water. There is water free in buffet, ice water served free at meals, and the tap water is fine from your sink. You can also ask your room steward to leave a pitcher of water for you or ice water.

In the buffet at the drink machine is free flavored water and often lemonade. In buffet, in dining rooms, and room service 6:30-10am regular coffee is free. So is tea.

At breakfast in buffet and in dining room and breakfast room service, various juices are available at no charge. Milk is also free.

Sodas can be purchased individually. You do not have to buy a soda package.

I'm not a drinker of either alcohol or soda, so i went without the UBP. I found everything listed above, plus lemonade available in every restaurant. I had many, many arnold palmers (half iced tea / half lemonade) over the course of the week, plus water and orange juice at breakfast. My kids had lots of milk, apple juice, and lemonade. My wife, who does drink some, had mainly water and iced tea, with the occasional glass of wine or soda in the restaurants. For the meals where we hadn't generated a charge for anything else, I think they comped her the soda. They also comped her a glass of wine once. So four people, seven days, and our beverage charges came to ~$60, with most of that being specialty coffees at the java bar.

On your last cruise, you had to buy alcohol if you wanted it. Everything else was included.

On this cruise, alcohol is included if you want it. Water & Pepsi aren't. Though, I'd order a Rum & Pepsi - hold the rum.

Stephen

There is definitely plenty of drinks to quench your thirst as you see. I just wanted to add something about flavored water which they had anytime after the breakfast hours. Its sort of like a juice cocktail, I remember they had strawberry kiwi flavor and another one that was Mango something flavor in the buffet. They were really refreshing and free.

Free milk and chocolate milk on Carnival (they will think twice about chocolate milk after my 2 grandsons go in their first cruise 8/26/17 the boys drink between 1-2 gallons of chocolate milk a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone else covered the free beverage options already. I just wanted to add that you won't find included soda on any mainstream cruise line. It's always extra. You can buy it by the glass, or buy a package. Same for alcohol. I'm not sure what line you sailed 25 years ago, but I've been cruising at least 25 years and have never had either of those things included except on luxury lines.

I just booked a cruise for our family of 5 yesterday and already I am wanting to cancel. I am looking at their web site, just getting a feel for the ship, and I look at the UBP (beverage, right?) - we are not buying that nor using it for our freebie but I see where you can buy a soda drink package and also buy a case of water. If you have to pay extra for a Pepsi, what do they give you to drink if you don't buy the soda package??? I have only been on one cruise 25 years ago (!!!) and you paid for the cruise and your food and beverage (not including alcohol) was included. What in the world? Thank you in advance for explaining this to me.

So, it is no different than going out to eat at a restaurant at home. If you want a soda, it will cost you extra.

Fortunately, on the ship, they do not charge for water, ice tea, juices, coffees, teas. milks,,,, what a bargain compared to you local diner!!!!

You can even order as much as you want at the main dining room and not pay a penny! Two steaks. Three pieces of cake. They will have to roll you out the door,,, and it is all included!!!!

Water on the ship is perfectly fine. It's just water.

I have only been on one cruise 25 years ago (!!!) and you paid for the cruise and your food and beverage (not including alcohol) was included. What in the world?

Like airlines, more competition now than 25 years ago influences cruise line pricing. They reduced fares by unbundling the inclusives in prices and now offer some as choices for a fee like the soda. This makes the basic fare affordable for those not wanting the options. Some airlines have done choices for a fee on luggages, meals, seat choices etc, that used to be included in fare before. YMMV.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Free milk and chocolate milk on Carnival (they will think twice about chocolate milk after my 2 grandsons go in their first cruise 8/26/17 the boys drink between 1-2 gallons of chocolate milk a day. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is NCL, not Carnival.

Contrary to popular belief no questions are dumb! Planning a vacation for a family can be stressful. Our first cruise was a good bit of years ago and I recall people getting their final bills and having a heart attack. Now I can keep track of spending on the tv or the app. To address your initial question I've found plenty of free beverage options besides soda.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Everyone else covered the free beverage options already. I just wanted to add that you won't find included soda on any mainstream cruise line. It's always extra. You can buy it by the glass, or buy a package. Same for alcohol. I'm not sure what line you sailed 25 years ago, but I've been cruising at least 25 years and have never had either of those things included except on luxury lines.

Disney includes free soda, and I would say they are a mainstream cruise line.

On your last cruise, you had to buy alcohol if you wanted it. Everything else was included.

On this cruise, alcohol is included if you want it. Water & Pepsi aren't. Though, I'd order a Rum & Pepsi - hold the rum.

Stephen

LOL. I would order the rum + pepsi. Hold the pepsi.

• 1 month later...

Tea, iced tap water, coffee, some fruit juice/punches, milk (at breakfast time) are all included. Not included typically are sodas, bottled water, alcoholic beverages, and specialty coffees. We've gotten the drink package, and also gone a la cart. You can take a bottle of Mio drink flavoring and mix it with water if you want to, I like to do that in lieu of sports drinks.

So you already want to cancel your family cruise over not understanding what is available to drink? Maybe cruising is not the best vacation for you. It is not everyones cup of tea. Cruising has changed so much over the years. You have the choice now of spending extra for things like soda, dining, and some entertainment. But you do not have to, it is a choice. Some people have no added expenses at the end, and some choose to have quite a credit card bill as they walk off the ship.