Too much negativity - let's have some positive thoughts.

geospyder

I agree. Just look at the number of threads started by disgruntled first timers where the old-timers jump in in defence of Celebrity.
And what kills me, is that some feel that we should all be outraged at some of the changes/cutbacks, even though they have no impact on our cruise experience, since we didn't use these things or they never had a great impact on our cruises.

We get an awful feeling that nothing good is going to happen at Celebrity as long as LLP is at the helm...(or unless she has a major change of heart). Given her long experience in the industry, we have to assume she knows what she is doing....it is intentional....and its not to our own taste. As a stockholder, we wish her the best of luck improving the bottom line....but that improvement will likely be done without our future contributions.

Hank

You sir are the perfect example of a morally bankrupt investor. As a shareholder, if you don't like the direction the CEO is taking "your" company you should be voicing your concerns. Instead, your attitude is "Keep screwing as many people as possible on my behalf or you'll be out of a job", and then you come on to these forums to bemoan the decisions being made that you are complicit in.

I've made some tough short term investment decisions in my life, but I sleep soundly at night knowing that my investments are aligned to my values and not just my bottom line. Funny thing is, over the long run my bottom line hasn't really been hurt by those decisions.

Disagree with this. If you read many of the posts, there are a lot of long time Celebrity cruisers who are still positive. If also seen many negative posts from first timers.

You are seeing more negative posts by long time Celebrity cruisers also.

Changes that might mean nothing to you mean something to others. They have as much right to air their opinions as the polyannas who think Celebrity can do no wrong.

I said positive. There can be changes and some feel it is still a positive experience. Not every change is considered a negative by everyone, even though you might not like the changes, it doesn't mean everyone thinks the same as you. Some of the ones you pointed out have no bearing on many long time cruises.

Read some of the posts, there are many who still consider Celebrity a great value for their money and they have cruise, like me, well over 20 years.

We just ended our first Celebrity cruise on the Constellation and I will list some of the things that I enjoyed better than Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival (family cruises several years ago).

1. Service levels impressed me (also in Blu)
  2. Two port overnights (Dubrovnik and Malta) and I know they are looking to do more.
  3. Allows travel agents to give extra perks and pricing breaks as they book group blocks.
  4. Public entertainment areas.
  5. Food overall.
  6. Drink packages.

I would like better port lecturers and self serve laundry. Those are two things that Princess provides, but those aren't deal breakers. Those who are complaining really haven't listed the deal breakers, but I get a sense that sometimes, like me, many who cruise one line get into ruts and want to try newer and better things. That's a good thing. Our tastes change through the years. We'd love to book a premium line as well at some point. We had an Azamara booked, but the line cancelled the itinerary. We would need them to match up an itinerary and a date when they match our needs. That's not easy with two ships.

You are seeing more negative posts by long time Celebrity cruisers also.

Changes that might mean nothing to you mean something to others. They have as much right to air their opinions as the polyannas who think Celebrity can do no wrong.

No, I'm seeing about the same positive posts from newcomers to Celebrity, as I do longtime Celebrity cruisers.

I've never asked anyone to feel the same as I do, just as I don't want others to tell me to see things their way. I don't think there are any of the positive poster who think Celebrity can do no wrong, but there seems to be some that think Celebrity can't do anything right, which is fine because it is their opinion. Everyone has the right to voice their opinions with out being called names, etc.

...........................prior paras edited .................

We get an awful feeling that nothing good is going to happen at Celebrity as long as LLP is at the helm...(or unless she has a major change of heart). Given her long experience in the industry, we have to assume she knows what she is doing....it is intentional....and its not to our own taste. As a stockholder, we wish her the best of luck improving the bottom line....but that improvement will likely be done without our future contributions.

Hank

We agree.,..LLP has an ingrained Royal C approach to cruising....which is very different from the traditional Celebrity Modern Luxury experience.

We have enjoyed Royal C in the past but it was never on par with X

The LLP Royal view has a diff concept of what is elegant, modern, classy or luxurious and has attracted a diff demographic...perhaps looking for a more Royalized, Norwegianized or Carnivalized experience,,.but on nicer ships.

Positive for us is that the ships and staff are still great,.....dining not so much...We'll stay for now but looking at AZ and Oceania...and I tried the MSC website today...it actually functions! What a pleasure!

We agree.,..LLP has an ingrained Royal C approach to cruising....which is very different from the traditional Celebrity Modern Luxury experience.

We have enjoyed Royal C in the past but it was never on par with X.

Well maybe now with LLP at Celebrity's helm, Royal and Celebrity, soon should be on par with each other based upon what we've observed.

Still searching for a February cruise and Hal is $2800 less for a better itinerary for us (southern Caribbean and some Panama Canal) with aft cabin vs a Celebrity's lowest category veranda on starboard (southern Caribbean and no Panama Canal). Granted I could get Celebrity's newly deflated Classic drinks package (for free. Yeah right) however the savings on Hal will still buy a ton of drinks and specialty restaurants but we'll also have a great aft view. If we book Hal (would be first time) and don't like the cruise, at least we tried it and can move on.

Well maybe now with LLP at Celebrity's helm, Royal and Celebrity, soon should be on par with each other based upon what we've observed.

Still searching for a February cruise and Hal is $2800 less for a better itinerary for us (southern Caribbean and some Panama Canal) with aft cabin vs a Celebrity's lowest category veranda on starboard (southern Caribbean and no Panama Canal). Granted I could get Celebrity's newly deflated Classic drinks package (for free. Yeah right) however the savings on Hal will still buy a ton of drinks and specialty restaurants but we'll also have a great aft view. If we book Hal (would be first time) and don't like the cruise, at least we tried it and can move on.

Which HAL ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:D

Which HAL ship?

It's the Zuiderdam. Yeah I know it's an older ship (2002) and smaller (just under 2000 pax) that was last refurbished in 2015 and is going into dry dock again Oct of this year for a two week rehab. It reminds me of the Mercury which we really liked. We prefer smaller ships. We've got three R class bookings starting in a week and next year.

I understand it's not a true apple to apple comparison with Reflection (2,000 vs. 3,000 pax) however the itinerary is one we'd like to try since we're pretty tired of the usual Caribbean ports. Both sail from FLL. Besides Aruba and Curacao, Zuiderdam will do the partial transit Panama Canal, cruise Gatun Lake, Colon Panama and Puerto Limon Costa Rica. Both cabins are about the same size including veranda.

My TA said Hal is also redoing their food and it’s supposed to be improved on the Zuiderdam. Besides this cruise is sandwiched between three very expensive cruises so this is a nice budget break with an aft view.

You can pick apart my logic if that's what you like. Do the Ben Franklin and show me how Celebrity will be better. :D I'll start. Itinerary, ship size, cabin location and price go in Hal's column for me. Ten year newer ship goes in Celebrity's column.

We've really enjoyed our Celebrity cruises. I'd just like to see if Celebrity is still remaining a cut above the other mass lines or if the gap has been closed. There's only one way to find out...see for myself. Azamara & Oceania are not fair comparisons.

Edited: I forgot to mention my TA has a group price on this HAL cruise. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We have been on 2 cruises our first was on HA Zuiederdam Panama Canal. We had nothing to compare it to so we thought it was wonderful and would do the Panama Canal again. the second was on Princess Royal to the Caribbean. I read a review before we went that the food was so bad that when she got to the airport she ran to the first food so she could eat eatable food. I had quite the laugh over that. We saw nothing wrong with the food but we are not food snobs. We thought the ship and crew were wonderful. Our third cruise will be on Celebrity Silhouette for a b2b in Jan 2018 for 19 days. I have read the negative and the positive.

Being we are new cruising we don't know what it was like in the "good ole days" of cruising and choose to enjoy every minute. Will we like or agree with everything I'm sure not but I surely will not let it ruin my vacation. I do not want to wish my life away but I can't wait to get on the Silhouette in January. And if my pocket book would allow I would have 6 more cruises booked also.

Well maybe now with LLP at Celebrity's helm, Royal and Celebrity, soon should be on par with each other based upon what we've observed. ........

True..LLP Signature Dining :

$ 10 Gourmet pool hot dog....paper napkin.,...no extra upcharge!

It's the Zuiderdam.

]

My TA said Hal is also redoing their food and it’s supposed to be improved on the Zuiderdam. Besides this cruise is sandwiched between three very expensive cruises so this is a nice budget break with an aft view.

You can pick apart my logic if that's what you like. Do the Ben Franklin and show me how Celebrity will be better. :D I'll start. Itinerary, ship size, cabin location and price go in Hal's column for me. Ten year newer ship goes in Celebrity's column.

We've really enjoyed our Celebrity cruises. I'd just like to see if Celebrity is still remaining a cut above the other mass lines or if the gap has been closed. There's only one way to find out...see for myself. Azamara & Oceania are not fair comparisons.

You won't hear that from me. We think HAL has the best itineraries and crew at sea. Our last cruise on them was in October and we thought the food in the MDR was superior to Celebrity's BLU.

It was a transatlantic and our issue on that and our last cruise on HAL a year earlier was with the demographics. It just was not as fun an atmosphere for us as we enjoy on Celebrity.

We were also on Koningsdam and loved the layout of the ship. In fact I think it is currently my favorite ship design.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You won't hear that from me. We think HAL has the best itineraries and crew at sea. Our last cruise on them was in October and we thought the food in the MDR was superior to Celebrity's BLU.

It was a transatlantic and our issue on that and our last cruise on HAL a year earlier was with the demographics. It just was not as fun an atmosphere for us as we enjoy on Celebrity.

We were also on Koningsdam and loved the layout of the ship. In fact I think it is currently my favorite ship design.

Thank you for your input. I am glad to see your endorsement of the food since I have eaten in Blu on two cruises. I had heard previously that HAL is the cruise line that people cruise on to pass away. I know they were joking somewhat but just so those cruises don't do it at my dinner table, I won't mind. :D

I supposed I was being defensive having seen others get lambasted by Celebrity loyalists. I haven't had a bad Celebrity cruise, although some were just better than others. Had LLP not instituted all the changes over the past few years, I might never have strayed from Celebrity. So that's a positive thought right? I'm expanding my horizons thankx to her. Plus at least my Elite status transfers to my Azamara cruise next week. Ahhhh another positive thought!

It's the Zuiderdam. Yeah I know it's an older ship (2002) and smaller (just under 2000 pax) that was last refurbished in 2015 and is going into dry dock again Oct of this year for a two week rehab. It reminds me of the Mercury which we really liked. We prefer smaller ships. We've got three R class bookings starting in a week and next year.

I understand it's not a true apple to apple comparison with Reflection (2,000 vs. 3,000 pax) however the itinerary is one we'd like to try since we're pretty tired of the usual Caribbean ports. Both sail from FLL. Besides Aruba and Curacao, Zuiderdam will do the partial transit Panama Canal, cruise Gatun Lake, Colon Panama and Puerto Limon Costa Rica. Both cabins are about the same size including veranda.

You know sometimes we have to just do something because it makes sense at the time....It sounds to me as if this cruise really is offering what you are looking for at this moment in time....

You expect some differences owing to brand, age of ship....you are open minded to a change. We booked our first RC in many years in January because 'it fitted' with other things. We enjoyed it for what it was, a different cruise to Celebrity. We were aware of its strengths and weaknesses compared to our usual Celebrity choice and simply enjoyed it for what it was!

I would look forward to reading your views post cruise!

Could you point out the long time cruisers.. ie more than 20 years that give positive remarks about the present product?

Perhaps long time is relative to those who have not been around as long..

I would like to know what is better now than it was 20 years ago or 15 or even 10.

The food?

The Service?

The entertainment?

The Captain's Club Celebration?

OK the perks are better, the ships are more spectacular.

The "Orchestra" is smaller,

There are now 4 or 5 sales staff rather than one.

Park West is back

Murano or it's equivalent is gone on M class

The cabin assistant is gone

The librarian is gone

the Harp Player is gone

the dance hosts are gone

the bridge instructors are gone

the priest/minister etc is gone

the good Filipino bands are gone

the activities staff has been cut in half

the ability to get a free, one category upgrade from concierge two to one is gone..

Just a few of the cuts that I remember...

oh but you can now buy a burger.. that's positive news..

I didn't know that Celebrity used to have a librarian on ship. Well darn, I am a librarian with 30+ years of experience and 3 years from retirement, sounds like a nifty post retirement gig to me. Too bad they got rid of it!!

Seriously, like other industries, there is certainly a causal relationship to trimming perks and things that used to be standard and enormous profits. I have come to the conclusion that most large companies are much more interested in serving the shareholders first and foremost. The customers are farther down on the list.

That said, I still think cruising is a great deal. We just booked a cruise and could not get in a land tour what we get on a cruise for even close to the price. We live in FL so we normally don't fly when we cruise, so that's a big part of it for us. We just got back from a trip to Europe and spent way more $$$ (air, hotel, food, drinks, entertainment) than we would have on a cruise of a similar length. I also love not having to pack and move my suitcases from hotel to hotel. I like that my hotel comes with me.

I didn't know you could no longer go from C2 to C1.

Can you still go from 1B to 1A. ?

I remember the dance hosts.:) My very first post on Cruise Critic was to ask if you were supposed to tip the person who brought you to your cabin. Remember that?

Thank you for your input. I am glad to see your endorsement of the food since I have eaten in Blu on two cruises. I had heard previously that HAL is the cruise line that people cruise on to pass away. I know they were joking somewhat but just so those cruises don't do it at my dinner table, I won't mind. :D

I supposed I was being defensive having seen others get lambasted by Celebrity loyalists. I haven't had a bad Celebrity cruise, although some were just better than others. Had LLP not instituted all the changes over the past few years, I might never have strayed from Celebrity. So that's a positive thought right? I'm expanding my horizons thankx to her. Plus at least my Elite status transfers to my Azamara cruise next week. Ahhhh another positive thought!

Saw your posting on the AZ board...went there today to see if it might be a good fit for us,..Alot of positivity going on there....their cruisers seem very pleased with being pampered .

.We like X ships, our perks and the staff , and we know the way it all works...but expanding our horizons now and then might be a good thing,,Did that with QM2...loved it!

We went on the Zuiderdam with very low expectations purely for the itinerary and were pleasantly surprised.

We were not crazy about the interior design particularly the carpets which are migraine inducing but the food was pretty good, the entertainment was entertaining and the crew were excellent.

With the right itinerary I'd sail with them again. They offer very good value for money.

And for those who are considering trying Azamara, if you are happy to sail on a smaller ship bite the bullet. I can't think of a single reason why you would want to return to Celebrity. Although I have enjoyed several cruises with them in the past, don't think it's the best fit for me now. Azamara ticks all my boxes - I describe them as the cruise line that never says no.

Edited by Spursgirl

I didn't know you could no longer go from C2 to C1.

Can you still go from 1B to 1A. ?

I remember the dance hosts.:) My very first post on Cruise Critic was to ask if you were supposed to tip the person who brought you to your cabin. Remember that?

That is probably why they are gone. Some overstayed their welcome in certain cabins. :evilsmile:

Saw your posting on the AZ board...went there today to see if it might be a good fit for us,..Alot of positivity going on there....their cruisers seem very pleased with being pampered .

.We like X ships, our perks and the staff , and we know the way it all works...but expanding our horizons now and then might be a good thing,,Did that with QM2...loved it!

Yeah there's a whole different vibe there. Our roll call for next weeks sailing put together 31 people for a 3 day deluxe tour in St. Petersburg! I'm really looking forward to the food too. Bonnie, Az's paid blogger, does an incredible job of communicating between CC board members and the home office to get real answers! Something Celebrity used to do.

The best part is you use the same Captains Club number for AZ that you use for Celebrity so you CO-EARN points on both lines simultaneously. You'll get all the perks of the equivalent level you've already earned.