Question about electrical outlet near bed?

Zeldamarie

Your steward can bring an extension cord. Google celebrity cruise lines specials needs and fill out the form. We've done it and gotten confirmation. However, we've always had to ask on board. They will provide distilled water as well.

Your steward can bring an extension cord. Google celebrity cruise lines specials needs and fill out the form. We've done it and gotten confirmation. However, we've always had to ask on board. They will provide distilled water as well.

Thanks. We are sailing in a few weeks and my husband was just diagnosed is awaiting his Cpap machine. I knew we needed distilled water but almost forgot about an extension cord.

There are no outlets near the bed that are accessible. On Eclipse, in December my friend asked for an extension cord for her CPAP machine and her cabin steward brought one and taped it down so they wouldn't trip if walking to the bathroom at night with the cord stretched across the room. He also brought distilled water. She did not make arrangements before hand, but it's never a bad idea to do so.

I use a CPAP also, but I don't want to lug an extension cord from home; I'm carrying enough stuff already! (g) They have no problems supplying you with one; if it's not there when you check in, just ask your steward. As mentioned above, they also supply distilled water.

On a related note--I'm diabetic, so I need a sharps container as well. Again, never any problem getting this.

We always pack our own extension cord....easy to do and then we don't have to try to find one onboard.

You are putting all those who are on the ship at risk by doing this. All cruise lines specifically ask passengers not to do this. All you need to do is ask either in advance or onboard.

You are putting all those who are on the ship at risk by doing this. All cruise lines specifically ask passengers not to do this. All you need to do is ask either in advance or onboard.

And Celebrity has been confiscating them.

• 6 years later...

I cannot BELIEVE that a cruise line with recently renovated ships doesn't have power outlets by the bed! You have to run an extension cord along the floor! They will tape it down, but this is so 20th century for a major cruise line. I was shocked to learn this. I have cruised on Holland America many times, and there have always been power outlets on both sides of the cabin. Holland America also gives you 3 closets, not 1, and more than 3 drawers. There is VERY minimal storage space. No makeup mirror at the vanity, tiny bedside tables with no significant storage, bedside lamps are just on/off- no dimming. Only on/off option for overhead lights- Holland America has several combinations to choose from. Celebrity has a "large chair" as a sitting area- Holland America has an actual sofa. The accessible bathroom has just a shower curtain between the toilet and the shower- Holland America has an actual separate toilet and shower. It AMAZES me how poorly Celebrity stacks up to Holland America. And lots of reviewers praise the Celebrity staterooms! I just don't get it. Oh yeah- Holland America in- room breakfast is free- Celebrity charges $9.95 plus a gratuity.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kathys235 said:

I cannot BELIEVE that a cruise line with recently renovated ships doesn't have power outlets by the bed! You have to run an extension cord along the floor! They will tape it down, but this is so 20th century for a major cruise line. I was shocked to learn this. I have cruised on Holland America many times, and there have always been power outlets on both sides of the cabin. Holland America also gives you 3 closets, not 1, and more than 3 drawers. There is VERY minimal storage space. No makeup mirror at the vanity, tiny bedside tables with no significant storage, bedside lamps are just on/off- no dimming. Only on/off option for overhead lights- Holland America has several combinations to choose from. Celebrity has a "large chair" as a sitting area- Holland America has an actual sofa. The accessible bathroom has just a shower curtain between the toilet and the shower- Holland America has an actual separate toilet and shower. It AMAZES me how poorly Celebrity stacks up to Holland America. And lots of reviewers praise the Celebrity staterooms! I just don't get it. Oh yeah- Holland America in- room breakfast is free- Celebrity charges $9.95 plus a gratuity.

Sounds like HAL is better for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, kathys235 said:

For the things which are important to you, holland America is a better fit for you.  Enjoy your cruising there

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kathys235 said:

I was sure there was a HAL BOARD..and congrats for reviving an old thread. 

I’ve never sailed in Celebrity without a sofa..always had plenty of plugs, not that I charge anything..I suppose if they had one in the safe my phone wouldn’t be dead on disembarkation day. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

14 hours ago, kathys235 said:

just curious which ships are you comparing? Your list of cruises on your profile doesn't include any on Celebrity.

You have also ignored the huge storage space above the beds. 

May only be one closet but it is very wide.

Your are correct that X's standard cabins don't have a power source next to the beds which is annoying.

About 10 ships on HAL-- verandah to Vista Suite- all accessible cabins, I did see storage above the bed on some cabins, but the photo of the Aqua Class Accessible on Silhouette doesn't show the over- bed storage- just a headboard. Anyway, it's hard for a handicapped person in a wheelchair to reach anything over the bed. Just been researching abt the cruise we are taking that departs FLL on Mon 2/26- S Caribbean. I'm trying to be positive abt Celebrity, but to not have power on the bed side of the cabin after a renovation in 2020 just blows my mind!

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.24.11 PM.png

31 minutes ago, kathys235 said:

About 10 ships on HAL-- verandah to Vista Suite- all accessible cabins, I did see storage above the bed on some cabins, but the photo of the Aqua Class Accessible on Silhouette doesn't show the over- bed storage- just a headboard. Anyway, it's hard for a handicapped person in a wheelchair to reach anything over the bed. Just been researching abt the cruise we are taking that departs FLL on Mon 2/26- S Caribbean. I'm trying to be positive abt Celebrity, but to not have power on the bed side of the cabin after a renovation in 2020 just blows my mind!

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 11.24.11 PM.png

I read no positive comments regarding Celebrity in your initial post in which you proclaimed HAL had better cabins in every way than Celebrity. Sounds like you’re in for disappointment all around unless you go with more of an open mind? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by CruisingTheWaves
  • Like 1

I really am trying to keep an open mind- I just don’t understand why people are okay with no outlets on the bed side- it just doesn’t make sense to me on a ship that was recently “completely renovated “ just a few years ago. Do any Celebrity ships have outlets by the bed?

6 minutes ago, kathys235 said:

I really am trying to keep an open mind- I just don’t understand why people are okay with no outlets on the bed side- it just doesn’t make sense to me on a ship that was recently “completely renovated “ just a few years ago. Do any Celebrity ships have outlets by the bed?

I believe all cabins on E class, all suites on the revitalised S class ships.

Who said we were OK about it? Just the way the ships were built. 

If you complete the Assistance Form accurately X will go "out if their way" to provide what you need. We don't book Disabled Cabins ourselves ( my wife has mobility issues, uses a walker and can just about use the regular shower) but we have travelled with friends who do and they have all been happy.

Go with an open mind and enjoy.

I also use a CPAP and always ask the cabin steward to bring an extension cord. It is there within minutes. I put it in the closet during the day and string it from the outlet at bedtime. Minor inconvenience. 

14 hours ago, kathys235 said:

changing carpets and drapes is not the same as running wires through hundreds of walls