What's Required to be a Carnival PVP ?

mr jailerman

I used to be friends with a PVP. They don't make much money.

I personally know several PVP's, some who still work there and some who've moved on to other jobs. It's a sales job with a very low base salary, but with unlimited earning potential based on several factors, including length of time at Carnival, customer base, and how good their sales skills and product knowledge are. Some PVP's barely meet the minimum requirements to keep their jobs (which will yield around $40K a year), some quit after a few years because they are not cut for this type of job or because they lack the patience to get to a point where they are earning decent money. But for those who stick with it (for years) until they can develop what's required to be successful at it, the financial rewards are worth all the hard work. Several senior PVP's do earn over $100K a year which is not what I would call "not much money". It's just like with any other sales based job where you need to build your client base before you start seeing serious results.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 7/23/2017 at 3:24 PM, Saint Greg said:

Mine is in Miami and seemingly works 24/7. But that may not be the case for all of them. Maybe he's in an office. Maybe he's in his pajamas watching the Flintstones. I don't know. All I know is if I text or email him he gets back to me almost immediately...even if it's Saturday night.

Same with mine,great guy.

2 minutes ago, MEUB1112 said:

Same with mine,great guy.

Well a lot has happened since 2017. That PVP started posting a bunch of political stuff on his page. Then I think he left the company. I started booking my own cruises. Then in 2019 I started using a TA. In 2020 this thing called Covid happened and he did a lot of the legwork on my cancellations/refunds/rebookings. Summer of 2022 he left the company and I’ve bounced around a little bit since then.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Well a lot has happened since 2017. That PVP started posting a bunch of political stuff on his page. Then I think he left the company. I started booking my own cruises. Then in 2019 I started using a TA. In 2020 this thing called Covid happened and he did a lot of the legwork on my cancellations/refunds/rebookings. Summer of 2022 he left the company and I’ve bounced around a little bit since then.

I've had the same guy for 20 years.  I'm one of the lucky ones. He also lives in Miami and works 24/7.  We've booked 38 cruises with him.  He is one of the few that made it through the covid times.  He is awesome.

• Like 2

I have also had my pvp for many years.  She is wonderful - gets right back to me.  Even provides her cell number for contact any time.  Answers emails within minutes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gosh…I don’t even know how long I’ve been with my PVP. Probably going on 17-18 years. When I first started cruising I worked for an airline and we booked thru a specific travel agency that provided travel discounts to industry employees. But then we had an issue with a price match situation that the agency wouldn’t honor and I found out that Carnival also offered travel industry rates if you book directly with them and would match price drops so that’s when I started booking with carnival and not too long after found my PVP. I haven’t been at that job for almost 15 years. And man…I do miss those travel industry rates! They were the best!!! Not to mention the free flights! Though I don’t think I could handle the stress of flying standby anymore…especially to a cruise! But we did it all the time back in the day! 

Edited by MistyRo76
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I've had the same guy for 20 years.  I'm one of the lucky ones. He also lives in Miami and works 24/7.  We've booked 38 cruises with him.  He is one of the few that made it through the covid times.  He is awesome.

Ours in one of the handful of 'old guard' too. Over 20 years with CCL. Works from home in Ft. Lauderdale.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Ours in one of the handful of 'old guard' too. Over 20 years with CCL. Works from home in Ft. Lauderdale.

Just looked it up and realized we have been using our pvp 15 years!  She works from home in Miami.

Edited by pe4all

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

Just looked it up and realized we have been using our pvp 15 years!  She works from home in Miami.

My PVP is out of Miami as well. She’s not only great at her job, she makes me feel like a friend. 👍😁

• Like 3

On 7/27/2017 at 6:08 AM, Micahs Grandad said:

Them seem to have to work in Miami until they get experience and are successful and than can if approved work from home.

Good ones who book lots of cabins do very well financially but to get established can be a very stressful position.

Yep, the good sales reps make a lot of money.