Next Cruise reduced deposits gone after August 1st

The volume doesn't really matter - besides, most of the other lines have similar booking rules.

Biker, who thinks the lack of reduced deposits has negligible affect on overall bookings.

I respectfully disagree. I believe it will drastically reduce Advance bookings. Unless someone is wanting one of the "preferred" cabin locations, I don't think folks will book nearly as far in advance. Our primary reason for doing onboard bookings was to have the reduced deposit and have the booking number to transfer (with the reduced deposit) when new bookings opened. In Feb/March of 2016 I did several new bookings when the "new season" opened. I did not have any bookings to transfer so paying the full deposit almost busted my bank account!:) So Dec of 2016, I booked several bookings onboard in order to have the reduced deposit/booking number. When the "new season" opened in March 2017, I was able to book many more sailings (by transferring) than I would have been able to book with the full deposit. I don't think we have ever cancelled a cruise and requested a deposit refund although we have moved a good number of deposits to different ships/different sailings. With the new changes....most likely we will drastically change our booking habits. Rather than booking 18 months in advance with reduced deposits that can be easily moved....we more than likely will be one "last minute" bookers. We don't like the higher fare for using a refundable deposit! (Is that even legal?) We don't like the non-refundable deposit! We don't like the "change fee". So instead of letting them hold $2,000 of my money (for 20 bookings) over an 18 month period.....they will be holding $0 of my money until I decide on a last minute sailing at most likely a lower cost (understanding I will then have to pay 100% non-refundable.)

I believe it will take at least a year before RCCL will feel the full fallout of this new policy since a large majority of their loyal cruisers have already booked through mid 2019. I know, with my 31 cruises booked that would be over $15,000 tied up in cruise deposits. No more booking in advance for me! And I've never canceled a cruise I have booked.

Carla

Very well said!

The volume doesn't really matter - besides, most of the other lines have similar booking rules.

Biker, who thinks the lack of reduced deposits has negligible affect on overall bookings.

It will effect mine as I often book B2B2B's. My Jewel cruise coming up would have required A $1850 deposit vs the $350 deposit I paid, a lot of money to tie up when booking more than a year ahead of time.

I respectfully disagree. I believe it will drastically reduce Advance bookings. Unless someone is wanting one of the "preferred" cabin locations, I don't think folks will book nearly as far in advance. Our primary reason for doing onboard bookings was to have the reduced deposit and have the booking number to transfer (with the reduced deposit) when new bookings opened. In Feb/March of 2016 I did several new bookings when the "new season" opened. I did not have any bookings to transfer so paying the full deposit almost busted my bank account!:) So Dec of 2016, I booked several bookings onboard in order to have the reduced deposit/booking number. When the "new season" opened in March 2017, I was able to book many more sailings (by transferring) than I would have been able to book with the full deposit. I don't think we have ever cancelled a cruise and requested a deposit refund although we have moved a good number of deposits to different ships/different sailings. With the new changes....most likely we will drastically change our booking habits. Rather than booking 18 months in advance with reduced deposits that can be easily moved....we more than likely will be one "last minute" bookers. We don't like the higher fare for using a refundable deposit! (Is that even legal?) We don't like the non-refundable deposit! We don't like the "change fee". So instead of letting them hold $2,000 of my money (for 20 bookings) over an 18 month period.....they will be holding $0 of my money until I decide on a last minute sailing at most likely a lower cost (understanding I will then have to pay 100% non-refundable.)

Very well said!

Agree with that one Spot on!

I respectfully disagree. I believe it will drastically reduce Advance bookings.

That's why I said overall bookings - other than higher prices, very little what RCI does will impact their overall 105% capacity sailing rate.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the issues here but speaking from the UK and Australian (and maybe Canadian?) perspective isn't this a good thing for us? No more block booking lots of cruises for US customers whilst onboard at low deposits when those people have no intention of taking most of them but holding on to them because, hey the deposits haven't cost much and we can let them go when we decide which one to take :o. And by the time they release them - and they're often much-coveted locations - the prices have increased.

Great news I say - and flame away if you don't like it - or please correct me if I misunderstood the 'problem'

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the issues here but speaking from the UK and Australian (and maybe Canadian?) perspective isn't this a good thing for us? No more block booking lots of cruises for US customers whilst onboard at low deposits when those people have no intention of taking most of them but holding on to them because, hey the deposits haven't cost much and we can let them go when we decide which one to take :o. And by the time they release them - and they're often much-coveted locations - the prices have increased.

Great news I say - and flame away if you don't like it - or please correct me if I misunderstood the 'problem'

I agree with your assessment.

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While what you say has some merit, I think the block booking is by travel agents. That won't change with this new policy. If individuals book those much-coveted locations, I think they normally intend to take those cruises.

I agree with your assessment.

Thanks Bob.

Being from the UK i agree with his comments that they have been able to grab the best cabins with no commitment to honour their booking and to cancel without loss near final payment time which restricts our options and we have to book with a non returnable deposit.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I am still new to cruising and dont know the back end ways ins and outs but why would someone book cruises they have no plans on taking? Is it just to hurt others? I liked the reduced deposits as it made it more affordable to cruise and not having a lot of money tied up in something thats a year or so away but I can only speak for my budget so the new rules will hurt me

I am still new to cruising and dont know the back end ways ins and outs but why would someone book cruises they have no plans on taking? Is it just to hurt others? I liked the reduced deposits as it made it more affordable to cruise and not having a lot of money tied up in something thats a year or so away but I can only speak for my budget so the new rules will hurt me

People book cabins on board with no commitment to complete and get free onboard credit then if prices are reduced they simply cancel and rebook at the lower price without losing any money or just cancel altogether without loss 3-4 months before departure.

There are a couple of reasons that come to mind:

Backup cruises with a highly desired stateroom for when Royal redeploys, charters, dry docks, or otherwise cancels a cruise one wants to take.

Getting perks for onboard booking so that one has dummy (placeholder) bookings to use when new itineraries are released in March/April each year. This problem was created by the cruise line when they decimated the OBC assigned to the Open Booking program. If they would once again allow Next Cruise/Open Booking with the same OBC as booking a specific cruise, much of this would go away.

While what you say has some merit, I think the block booking is by travel agents. That won't change with this new policy. If individuals book those much-coveted locations, I think they normally intend to take those cruises.

Whilst I do agree with you that on some desirable cruises travel agents make block bookings - and take much-coveted locations - I have been on many cruises and spoken to people onboard who've come away with multiple bookings and seen enough comments on these boards to know that individuals do make multiple bookings and do release them when they've made up their minds which cruise to take. Even on this board recently someone commented that they had 6 bookings for around the same time and would only take 1 or 2 of them. :( This is just unfair to those of us who lose a deposit if we cancel a booking

From our point of view we book onboard for a cruise which we know we will be taking If something unforseen prevents us from taking that cruise our insurance will cover it. It would not occur to us - as it does to many people who book in the US - to book several cruises when we have no intention of taking them. Which really brings me back to my original point which is that this seems to be creating a more level playing field.

Whilst I do agree with you that on some desirable cruises travel agents make block bookings - and take much-coveted locations - I have been on many cruises and spoken to people onboard who've come away with multiple bookings and seen enough comments on these boards to know that individuals do make multiple bookings and do release them when they've made up their minds which cruise to take. Even on this board recently someone commented that they had 6 bookings for around the same time and would only take 1 or 2 of them. :( This is just unfair to those of us who lose a deposit if we cancel a booking

From our point of view we book onboard for a cruise which we know we will be taking If something unforseen prevents us from taking that cruise our insurance will cover it. It would not occur to us - as it does to many people who book in the US - to book several cruises when we have no intention of taking them. Which really brings me back to my original point which is that this seems to be creating a more level playing field.

It does and hopefully you and i from England will get the opportunity to book a desirable cabin.

I booked a couple of weeks ago for next May and the deposit at my TA was only £150 instead of the usual £300 so maybe they are trying to get us to take up the shortfall from the new US booking policy.

Basically you seem to have it right. But just to make you feel better ...

flamethrower.jpg

Backup cruises with a highly desired stateroom for when Royal redeploys, charters, dry docks, or otherwise cancels a cruise one wants to take.

Getting perks for onboard booking so that one has dummy (placeholder) bookings to use when new itineraries are released in March/April each year. This problem was created by the cruise line when they decimated the OBC assigned to the Open Booking program. If they would once again allow Next Cruise/Open Booking with the same OBC as booking a specific cruise, much of this would go away.

I would be happy if they restarted sales of Next Cruise/Open Booking even without out the OBC for the low deposit. Although, DH said he will live with putting down $500 for a stateroom initially (at least no sticker shock at final payment)

I fall into that category........

[emoji39]

Royal has a history of doing this way too often after releasing their itineraries.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I fall into that category........

[emoji39]

Royal has a history of doing this way too often after releasing their itineraries.

I was thinking of you and your corner aft addiction.;)