RCL Stock

Orator

In error I posted this in the Roll Call board and hope that the Administrator will remove it.

Now to the correct board: RCL stock is continuing to make new highs. I am quite happy! However, the cost has significantly increased for those who want to purchase share to gain Stock Holder credit. There are many reasons for a company to split or not split a stock. Should RCL now consider a split?

It's been trading at $100+ for a while now and no movement toward a split.

Thought I saw something months ago that corporate was looking to buy back some of it's stock.

It'll be nice if they split but they would probably change ownership requirements for obc.

Why would they?

In the world of real investments 100 shares is nothing. We are just toying around in a big boy's game

Although, I am pretty happy about my playing... never got the shares for benefits though. Considered them to be a good investment in something I can relate to.

Why would they?

In the world of real investments 100 shares is nothing. We are just toying around in a big boy's game ��

Although, I am pretty happy about my playing... never got the shares for benefits though. Considered them to be a good investment in something I can relate to.

Agree that in terms of investment 100 shares is nothing unless its in Berkshire A shares. However, for the cruiser 100 may be significant if it qualifies them for extra credit. I wouldn't object if they raised the minimum, but would allow one to combine as the did in the past.

By the way, love your review!

However, the cost has significantly increased for those who want to purchase share to gain Stock Holder credit. There are many reasons for a company to split or not split a stock. Should RCL now consider a split?

My husband has been hoping they will split for a while now. We bought back on February 23, 2009 when it hit $5.50 a share. We only bought 100 share because at the time we didn't have much money as we were paying tuition for our son's college. I wish I had drained our bank account and bought as much as possible.

Oh well I guess I wasn't meant to be wealthy.

My husband has been hoping they will split for a while now. We bought back on February 23, 2009 when it hit $5.50 a share. We only bought 100 share because at the time we didn't have much money as we were paying tuition for our son's college. I wish I had drained our bank account and bought as much as possible.

Oh well I guess I wasn't meant to be wealthy.

"Hindsight is 20/20".

"Hindsight is 20/20".

It was really only a fluke we own the 100 shares. After taking basically all our money from our brokerage account to pay for our son's sophomore year at Syracuse we had $559 left in the money market account. Then the market crashed at the end of 2008 so I put in a buy order, which are good for 6 months, for 100 shares of RCCL stock at $5.50 a share, then I forgot about it. One day I get an e-mail that it hit and I now own 100 shares of stock.

By the way we have gotten $3,175 in OBC from the shareholder benefit and I'm not even sure how much in dividends.

It was really only a fluke we own the 100 shares. After taking basically all our money from our brokerage account to pay for our son's sophomore year at Syracuse we had $559 left in the money market account. Then the market crashed at the end of 2008 so I put in a buy order, which are good for 6 months, for 100 shares of RCCL stock at $5.50 a share, then I forgot about it. One day I get an e-mail that it hit and I now own 100 shares of stock.

By the way we have gotten $3,175 in OBC from the shareholder benefit and I'm not even sure how much in dividends.

Right now 100 shares is worth slightly over $11,700. Good gain for you! I remember all the gloom and doom on these boards as the stock was falling.

What exactly is the RCCL stock program all about and how does it work ? Is it similar to the one Carnival has ?

Before they started all these newer promotions like 1-2-3 and Go Better, you could actually use the stockholder benefit. Now, you cannot combine them with the above promotions.

We have been able to use it for Senior and Residency Discounts. You would get OBC depending on the length of your cruise ranging from $50 to $250.

Would love to know your secret. Out of our last 10 cruises I think I got to use the Shareholder benefit ONCE. Each time I am told it is not combinable with this or that.

The shareholder credit is not worth what it used to be. We have received shareholder credits in the past but we were just turned down for the shareholder credit on a Celebrity Cruise because we took advantage of one of their standard ongoing offers. According to the shareholder credit fine print it seems if you take advantage of any offer they will now disallow the shareholder credit.

The shareholder credit is not worth what it used to be. We have received shareholder credits in the past but we were just turned down for the shareholder credit on a Celebrity Cruise because we took advantage of one of their standard ongoing offers. According to the shareholder credit fine print it seems if you take advantage of any offer they will now disallow the shareholder credit.

I turn down the perks offered by Celebrity when the share holder credit ids higher. This often happens when doing a TA or Repositioning cruise.

Agree that in terms of investment 100 shares is nothing unless its in Berkshire A shares. However, for the cruiser 100 may be significant if it qualifies them for extra credit. I wouldn't object if they raised the minimum, but would allow one to combine as the did in the past.

By the way, love your review!

Thanks, Orator!

As you rightly said "for the cruiser" it might be a benefit as for a cruiser it would be more affordable. However, as long as it is no benefit for the company, why would they care. And selling 100 shares more or less (even in the sum of all cruisers) is nothing they have to worry about. Plus the shares would "cost" them whatever they have to give as a shareholder benefit. The company even bought shares back - another sign they don´t have to worry about investors.

As cruisers we can complain as much as we want about the shareholder benefits (which I am not).

Let´s face it: they don´t have to do it. It´s a take it or leave it perk they throw out there. They are not going to make changes just because some of us think they might have leverage because of 100 shares - "peanuts" would be an exaggerated term...

Why would they?

In the world of real investments 100 shares is nothing. We are just toying around in a big boy's game ��

I bought them for the benefits but also as a addition to my diverse portfolio and like many who bought them when they were $ low after 2008 wished I had bought more

I still get the occasional shareholders beniffit but since buying RCL and CCL more than paid for the cost of the stock in freebies alone

:D:D:D

That does explain it. We are usually using the "balcony discount" which kills it.

Not sure at this price or higher it is a smart choice to get some shareholder investment that is not always applied or if you have to choose between 2 choices, then the incremental value is even less.

My shareholder credit is now the dividend the stock pays me. On each 100 shares, it comes to be $192 per year.

I kept getting turned down to the point I don't even apply for the shareholder credit anymore.

My shareholder credit is now the dividend the stock pays me. On each 100 shares, it comes to be $192 per year.

I kept getting turned down to the point I don't even apply for the shareholder credit anymore.

If you don't apply you're just saying "No" to yourself. I've been surprised in both directions. Celebrity is not always consistent.

I see no inherent reason to split the stock. $ 100 stock price is not what it used to be with a number of big name stock prices approaching or over $ 1,000. Stock splits just add costs and generally add nothing to the value of the shares. With around 200 million shares outstanding a few 100 share purchases will not drive the price up.

It's been trading at $100+ for a while now and no movement toward a split.

Thought I saw something months ago that corporate was looking to buy back some of it's stock.

It'll be nice if they split but they would probably change ownership requirements for obc.

CEO said yesterday,the company going to buy back 5 million shares.

From my experience, most companys split their stock in order to get the share price lower to attract new buyers which generally raises the price. On thing is that when they split the stock the price does the same. Say you have 100 shares at 100 per share. If the stock splits 2 for one, you know have 200 shares valued at $50 per share.

What are the Arguments Against Stock Splits?

There are two main arguments against stock splits –

• A lower price per share opens the company up to volatility from traders
  • The company has to pay administrative fees to do the stock split, and the split has no real gain for the company or purpose

Both arguments can be seen as valid. Since more individual investors can get into the stock easier, it does open the company up for more trading. More speculative traders with little capital can get involved – and at a lower overall cost. 100 shares at $80 per share is only $8,000, where it would have been $80,000 before.

Plus, for investors that are always watching a company's bottom line, seeing expenses like a stock split, which don't really add shareholder value, can seem like a waste.

Should Investors Care?

The most compelling argument, however, is performance. So, how have companies that have done stock splits performed since the split? That's the interesting question.

Going back to 1986 to 1996, stocks that split performed 8% better than the S&P500 the following year.

However, from 1996 to 2011 (the last year data was readily available), stocks that split have simply performed even with the S&P 500.

The Bottom Line: Stock splits don't matter.

Would love to know your secret. Out of our last 10 cruises I think I got to use the Shareholder benefit ONCE. Each time I am told it is not combinable with this or that.

That is as my experience. Can't remember when I was able to get shareholder benefit.