RCL Stock

Orator

Bought the stock a long time ago at $30, just for the shareholder credit. This was before my first cruise, intending to sell right after. I figured there would be minimal movement over the short term, as it had been fairly stable. After the cruise it was down to $29. I figured I would hold it a bit and see what happens. I forgot to sell. A few months later I remembered, and saw it was over $40. Long story short, I still have it.

BTW, that first cruise was with my teenage kids. We had two cabins, so I also had my wife buy the stock. We split up one of us in each cabin on the reservation, and got two OBC's. So now I'm sitting on $24k worth of stock at 300% profit. :)

Kids are grown, we don't need two shareholders anymore, so I keep meaning to sell 100, keep 100, and use the profit to buy another cruise (or 2). But I keep forgetting :)

If you don't apply you're just saying "No" to yourself. I've been surprised in both directions. Celebrity is not always consistent.

100% agree. Neither is RCCL. Got it twice while also getting C&A Balcony Discount - thought they were not combinable. Shush.....don't tell anyone.

Also on another cruise had some OBC from the cruise line but the Shareholder benefit was larger so they gave me the difference to bring it up to that amount.

What are the Arguments Against Stock Splits?

There are two main arguments against stock splits –

• A lower price per share opens the company up to volatility from traders
  • The company has to pay administrative fees to do the stock split, and the split has no real gain for the company or purpose

Both arguments can be seen as valid. Since more individual investors can get into the stock easier, it does open the company up for more trading. More speculative traders with little capital can get involved – and at a lower overall cost. 100 shares at $80 per share is only $8,000, where it would have been $80,000 before.

Plus, for investors that are always watching a company's bottom line, seeing expenses like a stock split, which don't really add shareholder value, can seem like a waste.

Should Investors Care?

The most compelling argument, however, is performance. So, how have companies that have done stock splits performed since the split? That's the interesting question.

Going back to 1986 to 1996, stocks that split performed 8% better than the S&P500 the following year.

However, from 1996 to 2011 (the last year data was readily available), stocks that split have simply performed even with the S&P 500.

The Bottom Line: Stock splits don't matter.

I beg to differ. Maybe in general you might be right, but there are exceptions and if you pick the right one, the skys the limit.

In August 2013 I bought 200 shares of Apple at $65 per share. In June of 2014 Apple had a 7-1 stock split, so Then I had 1400 shares. Earlier this year I sold 1200 shares at $140 per share. I still have my original quantity of 200 shares and as of yesterday they were worth $156 per share.

I beg to differ. Maybe in general you might be right, but there are exceptions and if you pick the right one, the skys the limit.

In August 2013 I bought 200 shares of Apple at $65 per share. In June of 2014 Apple had a 7-1 stock split, so Then I had 1400 shares. Earlier this year I sold 1200 shares at $140 per share. I still have my original quantity of 200 shares and as of yesterday they were worth $156 per share.

As I recall,Apple wasn't at 65 per share in 2013 before the stock split 7-1;)

I still get the occasional shareholders beniffit but since buying RCL and CCL more than paid for the cost of the stock in freebies alone

:D:D:D

Quoting myself because I just asked for and received shareholders credit for my trans Atlantic Silhouette cruise this November. Plus it took less than one hour from my emailing the request to getting the email approval AND credit to show on my booking!!!!

I have already spent it by purchasing two premium drink packages at half price each!

Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting our Shareholder Benefit office. As a valued shareholder and guest, you are very important to us. On behalf of our company, it is my pleasure to respond to your correspondence.

Our exclusive Shareholder Benefit Program was designed to reward you each time you sail with us, if a better promotional opportunity does not exist. It is not combinable with other promotions and special offers. We see you have an Onboard Credit offer on your current booking that is lower than your Shareholder Benefit of $250.00. We applied the difference of the two Onboard credits in the amount of $150.00. We hope that you enjoy the spectacular array of onboard services and amenities.

While your onboard credit has been added, it may not immediately appear on your SeaPass folio on the first day of your cruise. Please allow up to two days into your sailing for the credit to reflect on your account.

Thank you again for choosing to sail with us. We hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sincerely,

Denise

Shareholder Benefit Team.

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Gotta believe Fain loves the optics of his stock pushing $120 while chief competitor CCL is down at $67. Gives appearance he's blowing away the competition. Split RCL stock however and price drops to $60, now below CCL. Doesn't mean anything financially but a different picture.

Would love to know your secret. Out of our last 10 cruises I think I got to use the Shareholder benefit ONCE. Each time I am told it is not combinable with this or that.

Yup, I've been rejected EVERY time either Celebrity of RC. Buy the stock if you like, but its a waste for the credit.

Now compare this to Carnival stock. I've had it for years, its doing great, and Carnival and Princess have ALWAYS approved the on-board credit. I've NEVER had it rejected.

You recall wrong. To be exact, the 7-1 split was June 8, 2014

The exact date was August 9, 2013. I have my documentation as I need it for the taxes I have to pay on the capital gains. I should have posted that on my original posts as nobody believes that these things can happen to small investors.

Even before the drink and other perks were being offered, we were turned down for onboard credit because we had used a $50 coupon when we booked. Our travel agent had to rebook us without the coupon so we could get the OBC.

Now when we book with the perks offered, the shareholder credit never seems to happen. We always ask and I think that once we got it. As others have said, the dividends are our shareholder credits.

We also own Carnival stock so that when we sail Princess, we can get their shareholder credit. It doesn't matter what promotion you use, you still get the credit. It's a much better program.

The exact date was August 9, 2013. I have my documentation as I need it for the taxes I have to pay on The capital gains. I should have posted that on my original posts as nobody believes that these things can happen to small investors.

I owned this stock when the market clashed in 2008.the lowest price at that time was 84.00,I bought at 89. at that time.

The price you got was the adjusted price from the split of 7-1

If you bought at 65.I believed the actual price you paid for your 200 shares was 65X7= 455 per share. before the split time on June 9 2014.

Apple stock reached 140 at early March from around 100-110 at the beginning of the year.

Apple stock mede me well.Its my main core holding in my Tech portfolio.

Edited by iSailor

In error I posted this in the Roll Call board and hope that the Administrator will remove it.

Now to the correct board: RCL stock is continuing to make new highs. I am quite happy! However, the cost has significantly increased for those who want to purchase share to gain Stock Holder credit. There are many reasons for a company to split or not split a stock. Should RCL now consider a split?

We bought 100 shares of RCL stock for $30/share in 2010. Web bought it strictly for the stockholder benefit. Most of the time the benefit was not able to be combined with benefit of booking while onboard etc. so we basically quit using it. I pretty much forgot about the benefit. About 3 months ago I remembered the stock and looked it up. Was I ever shocked. Our initial 3K investment was worth almost $12,000.

The really cool part is that this is the only stock we own and we bought it for all the wrong reasons.

What is the current email address to send your info in to get the shareholder's benefit? I think I may actually be able to use it the November. It's been so long, that I almost forgot all about it.

I just faxed information over. The fax number is:1-866-222-5150

We bought RCL at $14.00 many years ago. Before there were any perks on cruises. In those first few years we were able to utilize quite a lot of shareholder credit. One year over $1250.00. Even though we don't have the shareholder credit anymore, the investment has been has been very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We bought RCL at $14.00 many years ago. Before there were any perks on cruises. In those first few years we were able to utilize quite a lot of shareholder credit. One year over $1250.00. Even though we don't have the shareholder credit anymore, the investment has been has been very good.

The bottom line is that you should first buy stock as an investment in the future of the company. Any shareholder credits should be a secondary consideration..

We also own Carnival stock so that when we sail Princess, we can get their shareholder credit. It doesn't matter what promotion you use, you still get the credit. It's a much better program.

With all due respect. Some of you might want to broaden their perspective.

Of course you are correct from a cruiser´s point of view.

However, as an incorporated company it is not RCL´s job to make a few stockholders happy that own a less than peanuts share. It´s job is to please big time investors, fund managers etc. And they would not do so by throwing money at people who feel entitled because of a measly 100 shares. I know it sounds rude - but it´s reality and business.

As a matter of fact from an insvestor´s point of view (not always the same as a cruiser´s point of view) RCL is doing every right. The numbers add up, the significant ratios and percentages behind the plain front of the stock price are good etc.

Not so much with Carnival...

So, no matter if you think Carnival (or maybe NCL) has a better programm, professional investors favor RCL as a healthier investment.

With all due respect. Some of you might want to broaden their perspective.

Of course you are correct from a cruiser´s point of view.

However, as an incorporated company it is not RCL´s job to make a few stockholders happy that own a less than peanuts share. It´s job is to please big time investors, fund managers etc. And they would not do so by throwing money at people who feel entitled because of a measly 100 shares. I know it sounds rude - but it´s reality and business.

As a matter of fact from an insvestor´s point of view (not always the same as a cruiser´s point of view) RCL is doing every right. The numbers add up, the significant ratios and percentages behind the plain front of the stock price are good etc.

Not so much with Carnival...

So, no matter if you think Carnival (or maybe NCL) has a better programm, professional investors favor RCL as a healthier investment.

Market cap of RCL is 25.7 Billion as of Friday close.

A million loyal cruisers buy 100 shares of RCL will be 1.2 Trillion.

Its not a small potato.

Without these loyal cruisers,where are the big investors?

Edited by iSailor

Which is a) supposing one million cruisers would invest and b) thinking that the cost/benefit ratio of one million small time shareholders with one million oppinions each owning peanuts but feeling entitled big time without further financial knowledge is the same as for fewer real investors with understanding for financial backgrounds. Sorry, let´s agree to disagree...

By digging a bit deeper you can roughly find out how investments in stocks are distributed. By doing so you can see that RCL is not "owned" by loyal cruisers as you might think.

And let´s face it - cruiser´s and investors interests do not always match :D

An addictional thought:

Let's say there were one million cruisers asking for and receiving 100 $ shareholder OBC once a year. That adds up to 100 Million $ in liabilities on paper. Not really a good number for investors. Also not a small potato to use your words :-)

And I dare to say these loyalists will sail with or without the OBC - so there is nothing gained for high cost.

The bottom line is that you should first buy stock as an investment in the future of the company. Any shareholder credits should be a secondary consideration..

Well, it depends on the price of the stock. If you anticipate shareholder credit each year it's part of the ROI on the investment just like dividends are.

I don't think that paying the current prices for the stock makes sense from a financial standpoint at $120 a share. I saw a post from someone who paid less than $10 a share, so his $1,000 investment is generating $100 per year in shareholder credit ... a pretty nice ROI. Paying $12,900 for that same benefit doesn't make much sense to me.

It also depends on the size of your portfolio. If you have a million dollar portfolio that is well diversified then having a "vanity stock" is perfectly reasonable. Just count it as one of your large cap holdings.

Traditionally yes. But in our case, our original $1400.00 investment, had a $1250.00 ROI, just that first year. We knew that we would be utilizing the the shareholder credits often. A 14 day cruise = $250.00 in OBC.

I wouldn't purchase it now, unless my broker considered it a strong buy.

Market cap of RCL is 25.7 Billion as of Friday close.

A million loyal cruisers buy 100 shares of RCL will be 1.2 Trillion.

Its not a small potato.

Without these loyal cruisers,where are the big investors?

Might want to check that math. Only comes to $11.2B. Still a sizable sum but off by factor of 100.