Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

oh so it is just ice cream! Sweet as I don't care for the bananas...I wanted just the ice cream. There was another one I thought I heard about it was an ice cream sandwich, 2 cookies and vanilla ice cream...I totally forgot about ordering those when we were just on the cruise......darn it!

The volcano is a banana split. It always has bananas but the other topping vary.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

Absolutely not true.

Just off a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. and our tablemate ordered a second lobster entree, and was served it without problem. In fact, our server asked if if our tablemate wanted a third lobster, or an additional entree from the menu. “No problem”, the server said.:). Traditional dining in MDR.

Good luck on your next cruise. Eat as much as you can, and want. There is no weight limit on cargo. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Absolutely not true.

Just off a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral. and our tablemate ordered a second lobster entree, and was served it without problem. In fact, our server asked if if our tablemate wanted a third lobster, or an additional entree from the menu. “No problem”, the server said.:). Traditional dining in MDR.

Good luck on your next cruise. Eat as much as you can, and want.

That's the way it's been on all my cruises since I can't remember.

The only reason they don't want to serve more than 1 lobster at a time is some people would take 2 or 3 on their plate while all the rest of the people would be sitting there waiting for the first one.

Give the galley a chance to prepare them & you can eat as many of them as you please.

well, how can you say it's not true, when you were NOT on the same ship and the same cruise as OP?

Some of our posters have the ability to be on all 17 ships, in all dining rooms, both servings, every cruise - don't know how they do it, but they seem to know what is happening on all ships at aall times???

Cant understand why anyone would feel the need to have more than one entrée !
It's not as much about two entrees but being able to get a couple of shrimp with the steak an the first formal night, one of the small lobster tails with the chateaubriand on the second formal night, or having an appetizer portion of a favorite pasta entree and another entree for a meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

well, how can you say it's not true, when you were NOT on the same ship and the same cruise as OP?

I must admit I was a bit taken aback and felt rather embarrassed. I had obviously missed this rule on my previous Princess cruises and am wondering whether it is a recent development?

Because there is no such “rule” that I am aware of on any Princess ship as OP commented.

Because there is no such “rule” that I am aware of on any Princess ship as OP commented.

I believe this has only been experienced on the Crown Princess and not fleet wide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems to me that the original poster is asking if this is a fleet wide thing -- unless all her

"previous Princess cruises" were on the same ship.

When someone answers "not on my cruise", that sort of indicates that it's not fleet wide.

I think it is the crown princess. We just got off her and all sorts of things happened we never had happen on a princess ship. I am thinking it might be the management on that ship as it seemed like the black sheep of the family...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Oh dear! Like what. I’m heading in KP in 9 weeks and I’m just not that into surprises or lesser experiences. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Indeed. The ship we were on last month in Lisbon took a large number of pasteis de Belém onboard and laid them out in the buffet. I smuggled a couple back to my cabin, only for the cabin attendant to throw them away later that day.

What a shame about your pasteis de Belém - I love those! They should be good at room temperature 1 - 2 days. But, I can also understand why people storing food in their cabin might be a cleaning issue - especially people who put the food in their refrigerator and leave it for days. It is one thing to bring a fresh uneaten dessert to a child or for yourself to consume immediately and quite another to bring leftovers from dinner and leave them in the cabin for several days. Yuck! On the other hand I ordered a cheese tray for sail away fulling expecting it to be removed that evening at turn down and the cabin steward left it for 2 days until I finally asked him to please remove it. So it seems there might be a double standard with ordered and paid for food vs food from the MDR or other restaurant venues.

Agreed, we hate to waste food, but we also like to try new foods and drinks. Cruises and getting a PBP allow us to do both at somewhat reasonable price without feeling 'too guilty' if we don't finish something that we don't like. In real life, we often share an entrée or will order 2 different and share.

Hey ! SHARE - that would be a great 'new' concept for a restaurant !

Hey ! SHARE - that would be a great 'new' concept for a restaurant !

Yes, it would be great if Princess would do a Tapas restaurant where you could share several small plates over a bottle of wine! A few of the other cruise lines have something like that (Celebrity, RCCL and NCL - for example) and I really like it as you can choose things like croquettes, crab cakes, cheese, and other small plates of food so you can sample several different things without getting a huge meal. We eat on land quite a lot, so often in the evening I'm not really all that hungry but my husband needs some food. This type of restaurant is perfect for that situation.

The Ruby, Emerald and Sun have it. Curtis Stone's Share. I guess on the last drydock of the Caribbean Princess Sabatini's menu was changed to something like that.

We did Celebrity's. It was fun although the server told us if we ordered everything it would be about 65 lbs of food.

We have just returned from a super14 night cruise around the Mediterranean on the Crown. Everything was great but we were a little perplexed when we tried to order our first night dinner.

We had chosen late fixed dining for our family of four and were allocated a very nice table in the Boticelli Restaurant.

On the first night we were all torn between a couple of entrée one of which was new to us and which we all fancied trying. Therefore I ordered my entrée plus the new dish ( a Curtis Stone seafood pasta ) for the "table". I have done this many times but on this occasion the waiter declined my request and informed me that I could only order one entrée.

I have on a couple cruises had the waiter tell me that I could not order two at once, but after I have eaten my dinner I could order again the entrée that I wanted with my first one.

COP

I have on a couple cruises had the waiter tell me that I could not order two at once, but after I have eaten my dinner I could order again the entrée that I wanted with my first one.

COP

That sounds like the most reasonable way to do it.

Finish what your ordered & get another main course.

I imagine they see tremendous amounts of waste each cruise.

That sounds like the most reasonable way to do it.

Finish what your ordered & get another main course.

I imagine they see tremendous amounts of waste each cruise.

Doesn't sound reasonable at all if I was looking to have Surf & Turf ... they need to be served together.

There'll always be two sides to this discussion :-)

Best rule I do my best to follow, is to eat what I order (unless its distasteful to me). I can still hear my Mum telling me not to waste food while there are hungry people in the world! (Just like "turn off the light when you leave a room!" Lol)

Enjoy the blessing of cruising this beautiful world ...

dh

Edited by DomsPaPa

Doesn't sound reasonable at all if I was looking to have Surf & Turf ... they need to be served together.

There'll always be two sides to this discussion :-)

Best rule I do my best to follow, is to eat what I order (unless its distasteful to me). I can still hear my Mum telling me not to waste food while there are hungry people in the world! (Just like "turn off the light when you leave a room!" Lol)

Enjoy the blessing of cruising this beautiful world ...

dh

I believe that should be considered as 1 meal....

But who knows that Princess thinks?

All of the comments about food waste are interesting. On princess most of the meals are pre-plated before service. I am pretty sure there are always multiple entrees left after each service. That will need to be tossed out.